2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Heady TopperHeady Topper

The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA” 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
View: Beers (9) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,203 | Reviews: 1,469 | Show All Ratings:
elgiacomo

Georgia

4.48/5  rDev -5.3%

16oz can...supposedly canned on Feb 14th 2012, but no date noted on the can. Served at around 45F. Big thanks to Ryan for this trade!!!

Pours very hazy if not a bit chunky orange with a one finger off-white head that retains well and leaves some rings of lacing behind.

Aroma is fresh orange, tangerine and grapefruit citrus, pineapple and peaches, some sniffs tend more toward a dank and piney hop profile. Overall a citrus and fruity hop bomb. Malt? Why bother... Very good to excellent strength.

Flavor is an onslaught of all the things that make a great IPA. Tons of orange, tangerine and grapefruit citrus, pineapple, some pine, resinous and a little dank, minimal malt backbone, fantastic strong bitterness on the finish and a bit of alcohol. Super JUICY!

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, oily and sticky with good carbonation.

An incredible, world-class Double IPA that is more than worthy of all the praise it receives. Very complex for the style, it’s got a little of everything a hophead desires. While I should be going slow and savoring my only can, this is dangerously drinkable and going down pretty fast. Fantastic!

02-25-2012 03:09:33 | More by elgiacomo
Phelps

Arizona

4.48/5  rDev -5.3%

Shared by ejyoung. Poured into a tulip.

Cloudy grapefruit in color. It’s like a sunset, with many varying shades of orange. One finger of fuzzy off-white head becomes a moderately-sized ring that leaves some spatters of lace.

Holy jeebus. This is one of the dankest, grassiest, most resinous noses I’ve encountered. It’s not bright; it’s absolutely FUNKY with hops. Behind the blend of liquified weed and grass blades, I get saltine crackers, a touch of burnt sugar and orange cream. The crackers crumble under the weight of the hops, and I love it.

The resinous character can be read in the flavor, but a little bit is lost in the translation. The dank funk is still there, but the bitterness behind them is huge. Sugar-dusted orange slices and grass mix with sticky alcohol, a little caramel, and perhaps even some mango. It gets better and better as it warms and as the malt sweetness improves. By the bottom of the glass, it’s nearly perfect.

Medium in body with nice creaminess. Carbonation is moderately high and pinching, breaking the beer into just a touch of fizz. Velvety. Though the alcohol’s a little more noticeable than I’d like, the bitterness and malt strike a nice balance.

The hype...is well-deserved. Heady Topper’s one of the dankest, funkiest IPAs I’ve ever put in my mouth. And it comes in a can?! I’m in love.

03-07-2012 04:43:37 | More by Phelps
DakotaRules

4.48/5  rDev -5.3%

This beer Ive had several times.

Can and poured into a glass.
THe head is white like it came with batteries.
The aroma isnt as intense as i thought it would be but, hop aroma with out senses being overwhelmed.
The color is a solid amber-orangish. Not light penetrating. haze.
The flavor is strong hop, spicy, dramatic, and pronounced. The mouth feel is smooth, coating the tongue.
Overall this is a solid example of an IPA.

03-15-2012 02:59:10 | More by DakotaRules
FoundersPounder

4.48/5  rDev -5.3%

Out of the can, from multiple fresh deliveries in VT. Thee hops, citrus, pine, and malt come together perfectly. Not the biggest fan of drinking from cans, but it seems thats the brewers preference. Not much booze until it warms up, which makes that 8% catch up with you fast, but the cans also warns you off this. Listen. The can makes it feel like a session beer but it's far for a session beer. Def one of my favorites, but meant to be shared, paired, and part of tastings

03-31-2012 17:32:30 | More by FoundersPounder
Dools9

4.48/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured into a pint glass. Can split with a friend.

A: Hazy orange, lots of sediment, finger of off white head, minimal lacing some alcohol legs.

S: God this smells good, loads upon loads of citrusy fruity flavors, mangos, pineapple, lemons, just a touch of piney resin. Modest sweet bready malt backbone.

T: Tropical fruits, pineapples, citrus fruits, grapefruits resinous pine. Decent touch of sweet malt, just excellent.

M: I really could not believe how smooth and drinkable this was for 8%. Medium bodied, pretty well carbonated, hop oil coats the mouth and leaves a long lasting hop finish.

O: What can I say, privledged to have tried it, and I think this is probably the best IIPA I have had. Too bad its so hard to get.

04-21-2012 04:01:45 | More by Dools9
Coleybeerman

4.48/5  rDev -5.3%

Welcome to Massachusetts The Alchemist Heady Topper!

A - Poured into a Duvel glass with a hazey orange color and a thick head that dissapated quicker than I expected.

S - Piney, Ctrus, Resinous Herb like nose if you know what I mean!

T - Spicey hop bitterness. Warm alcohol, with a resinous piney Citrus flavor that lingers.

M - Full body with a bitterness that imparts an almost chewable mouthfeel.

O - I really enjoy the aggressiveness of the hop aroma and abv/hop forward flavor and mouthfeel.

When it comes to beers of this caliber I am not looking for smoothness.. I like my senses to be awoken and this beer delivers.

04-29-2012 03:35:28 | More by Coleybeerman
ThePorterSorter

Missouri

4.48/5  rDev -5.3%

Thanks merc for sharing this, super stoked to try this.

The beer pours a hazy golden amber with a white head that fades quickly. There is some thin lacing, but I'm not really letting it sit long enough to cling to the sides. The nose is potent, orgasmic citrus hops with some potent ethanol. The beer drinks like a sweet hop elixer with an incredibly smooth mouthfeel that leaves a slightly lingering bitterness. Excellent beer for a reasonable price, and yes, this one is definitely worth the hype.

05-25-2012 01:22:55 | More by ThePorterSorter
4DAloveofSTOUT

4.48/5  rDev -5.3%

thanks to egrace84 for sending this can my way! Thanks elliot!

tall boy can into duvel tulip.

Appearance: yellowish/orange opaque bodied beer with alot of white floaties. 2 to 3 fingers of white head that drops down to a small thin cap with some decent staying power. Spotty thin lace everywhere that the head touched the glass. I love how it says to drink the beer out of the can. I think its purpose for saying that is to hide all the floates in this beer. HA! Classic tactic right there!

Smell: This smells amazing! Big dank resinous hop oil upfront. Big citris notes mostly oranges. Some mangos and peaches too. Also has a little bit of sweetness in the nose, similiar to honey.

Taste: This beer tastes very hoppy without being over the top bitter. Thats a great trait for any hoppy beer to have; I dig it for sure! Very nice balance between the malt and hops! The hops have a fairly complex profile here, probably the best that I have ever tasted. Oranges, tropical fruits(mango and pineapple), melon, grassy, herbal, hint of pine resin, and all the hops taste really juicy. The beer finishes with a mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation. Not a hint of booze at all...very nice! Semi-dry finish, yet still juicy and dank thanks to the hops!

Overall: Wow what just happened, this beer is so good its disorienting! This im my favorite hoppy beer I have ever drank! This is my new favorite DIPA! Added bonus...its in a can the best beer vessel that there is with added convience factor of not needing a bottle opener to get into this nectar! Bravo Alchemist! I am moving to VERMONT!

06-21-2012 02:52:47 | More by 4DAloveofSTOUT
beesy

4.48/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured from a 16oz can into a Sam Adams nucleation glass. Thanks DonFrap for including it in the last trade.

A - pours a light orange with a one finger eggshell colored head that dissipates within minutes. It's really cloudy and looks more like chill haze cloudiness than non-filtered cloudiness. A fair bit of sediment apparent.

S - this is where this beer shines in my eyes. A hop explosion filled with tropical notes dominating(mango, pineapple and grapefruit) with a touch of pine. Oranges. A fair amount of alcohol/booze detected in the aroma.

T - hop dominated/hop forward as apparent in the nose. Same hops(appears to be lots of Simcoe) in the taste as in the nose. A fairly clean, firm bitterness lingers. Slightly boozy. A little letdown compared to the aroma, but still an excellent hoppy beer.

M - on the medium-light side.

D - not as easy to drink as I expected. The hight bitterness and boozy aspcect hinder the drinkability.

Overall, a very fine beer. I think the hype factor drives up the ratings of this guy a little, but it's very very good. A little more boozy than I liked for the fairly low IIPA 8%abv. The appearance turned me off a bit - it's almost like the brewery knows they hit on all the other aspects and got lazy with the visuals. Glad I got to try it and will pick some up when I have the opportunity.

08-06-2012 00:00:52 | More by beesy
StonedTrippin

Colorado

4.48/5  rDev -5.3%

an affordable can at farmhouse tap in burlington. they say drink it from the can, but i poured it for more careful study. it looks lovely, hazy, definitely unfiltered. radiant hay color with thick white suds floating on top that leave some mean lacing as it drinks. smells like quite the hop bouquet. grapefruit and spruce are the most prominent hop esters im picking up, but there are many. it tastes like it smells, deep and complex, worthy of patient consumption. its fruity, in addition to citrus there is also nectarine and mandarin orange on my tongue. its got upbeat carbonation which keeps its oily medium taffy sticky body moving along. the aftertaste is long and bittersweet, as it should be. alcohol is well hidden in taste, but can certainly be felt. this is one hell of a big ipa, and i dont want to hear anymore debate about pliny/heady, because both are outstanding and distinct brews, and that should suffice for all of us.

08-27-2012 23:29:11 | More by StonedTrippin
juliusseizure

4.48/5  rDev -5.3%

Picked up quite a few 4 packs from the Hunger Mountain Co-op on my way to the HF Harvest Festival

A - on the lighter side for DIPAs with nice 3/4" inch foam that recedes over time and continues to leave a 2mm lacing

S - fresh citrus fruit, sweetness (malt?), a hybrid of orange and grapefruit, hint of pine but not as much as most IPA/DIPAs I love

T - Perfect balance for a DIPA. Minimal bitterness, while still somehow maintaining the integrity of the hops. A nice malt backbone without making it seem bready and sweet

M - Juicy. Each sip made my taste buds release juices making me think I was hungry. Probably just my subconscious hungry for the next sip

O - A fantastic DIPA. One that if available locally, would become my go to beer. Unfortunately Vermont is not near enough and my penchant for wanting to try new beers, makes me trade half of what I bring back each trip.

10-05-2012 04:14:30 | More by juliusseizure
Powderhornphil

4.48/5  rDev -5.3%

I tried this from the can and poured. As the can advises, the taste is better from the can. Poured it is hazy orange, very little head and minimal lacing.

Smell is of abundant hops. Smells of pinaeapple, mango, grapefruit and a little peach.

Starts with a grapefruit resiny hop flavor. Finishes with a big hop oil, grapefruit bitterness. Quite bitter but the bitterness is well incorporated. Taste from the can comes in waves. Poured it is a little less dynamic.

Mouthfeel is of course resiny.

10-13-2012 21:19:48 | More by Powderhornphil
tigg924

4.48/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured a bit into a tulip, had most straight from the can

Appearance: 1/4 inch head that goes quick, orange-gold in color, hazy, moderate carbonation

Smell: big citrus hops, pineapple, earth, and rind

Taste: big citrus hops, pineapple, earth, rind, and some grapefruit at the back

Mouthfeel: smooth, medium carbonation, lightly bitter with a sharper bitter end, medium bodied

Overall: Really happy to have found this. When I think of the best IPAs I have had, I think of Pliny, Hill Farmstand's Double Galaxy, and Mama Masala. I personally would choose any of those over this one as my favorite IPA. That said, the shear raw hoppiness of this one merits that it is in the discussion of the best. This one is a delightfully hoppy beer, but not one that kills you with high intensity, more like a gradual roll up of juicy flavors. I appreciate the complexity and quality flavor without the excessive bitterness. I would get this again if I can find it. Well worth the hype.

03-04-2013 14:20:06 | More by tigg924
blakelive784

Colorado

4.48/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to kojevergas for this one!

Reviewed live directly from the 16 fl oz can:

S - Vibrant fresh fruits including pineapple, mango, orange and grapefruit. The tropical fruit notes are fantastic. Light pale malt body. Juicy. It's moderate in strength but I'm certain there'd be more if I poured it.

T - Fresh, raw floral hops notes open, followed by the juicy citrus and tropical fruits notes I'd found on the nose, though the grapefruit's the most dominate. I wish more of the pineapple was present. Woody/grassy hops on the finish provide a touch of bitterness. Caramel malts provide a sturdy backbone, but it's far from sweet. Impeccable balance, and the layering of the hops is superb. The alcohol's never present. This one's a real treat.

M - Oily. Medium bodied, crisp, and a little thick. Pretty much perfect.

D - The best IPA I've had, hands down. I could kill a few of these easily. Definitely a treat and I'm glad I was able to try it.

03-22-2013 23:07:28 | More by blakelive784
sben88

4.48/5  rDev -5.3%

Though a very good IPA, I wouldn't consider HT in the same breath as either Pliny. I think with this beer we have an extreme case of confirmation bias. I can think of 5 or 6 other beers I'd rather drink. I drank my first HT a couple hours after it was canned.

03-30-2013 17:09:02 | More by sben88
sbxx

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Canned 5/15
Big thanks to wyatt13 for sharing a can!

Appearance - Hazy, light yellow. Nice and fresh. Light head that disappears fairly quick. Didn't pour much in the glass. Just enough for a quick look. Drink from the can!!!

Smell - Big. Lots of pine. Background grapefruit, and a little bit of orange peel.

Taste - Massive hops, as expected. More of the citrus comes through in the taste. Astringent pine as well. Big bitter aftertaste that lingers. Packs one hell of a wallop too. Halfway thru the can, I was already buzzed.

Mouthfeel - Heavy body (for a DIPA), medium carbonation, semi-dry, semi-sticky finish

Overall - A damn fine beer, yes. #1 beer ever? No. My first impression was that this is the beer that Surly Abrasive tries to be. It tastes very natural, very raw and overall, very nice. If you love hops, you'll love this. Keep your expectations in check though. It's simply an awesome DIPA. Nothing more, nothing less. Don't compare it to Pliny. Two totally different beers, in my opinion. And both are great!

05-25-2013 04:39:23 | More by sbxx
asabreed

4.48/5  rDev -5.3%

So here it is. Never thought I'd get a chance to try it, or if I did I'd have to pay a ton to get it, which I wouldn't at this point, so I guess this makes this a rare and valued occasion, for which I am indeed grateful.

Appearance: Though I'm trying to drink some out of the can, I'm also pouring it into a North Brewery snifter / tulip glass to get what's coming from all the supposed eye candy. Retention is decent, though not spectacular, but what's great about this beer is the haze within the color of it. Pour at least some in a glass, people. I imagine you are. It's a gorgeous yellow-orange-copper hue, hazed up beyond belief, looking more like a dirty Witbier than a DIPA.

Smell: An amped up and balanced bouquet of effervescent fruit, being orange, lemon, pineapple, and probably many tropical indigenous fruits I've never had or may never have. There's definitely a good amount of sweetness going on here too. Not sure if that's from any additional sugars or honey malt, but they're there. Really, though, the heady rush of beautifully crafted ingredients is there. Each whiff reminds of this or that or this or that, but either way, this is up there.

Taste: What gets me most about this beer is how this isn't necessarily a hop bomb, as I maybe thought it would've been. I guess even if the IBUs are up, the point, as with, I imagine, all good beers are, is that it IS balanced. That said, again, there is sweetness, and not the point of being cloying, but man, it's there. But I imagine it's there because of necessity. And again, honey malt? Honey? Brown sugar? Anything else added here to quell the said monumental hops? The finish is insanely long, the good and balanced sweetness is there, and the fruits are monumental without being overpowered by bitterness.

Mouthfeel: One of the best if not the best things about this brew. Heavy enough, yes. But insanely velvety overall. Not perfect, but close.

Drinkability: It's impossible to say what's the best, but as far as DIPAs go, this is up there, at least in my top three. Many are, I imagine, saying the same thing, versus some you've reviewed and have in your mind, with matching characteristics and equally good balanced. Don't pay an arm and a leg for this, I'd say, but I'm thrilled I got to try it, and if it comes across again, I'll definitely be one who's ready to crack it open and enjoy it.

08-22-2013 22:01:50 | More by asabreed
beerdrifter

Germany

4.48/5  rDev -5.3%

Picked this baby up from a great friend at the Borefts Bier Fest! It's a little over a week since it was canned so it's super fresh. Cloudy amber-orange pour with a huge 2+ finger fluffy white head with decent retention and lacing. Fresh, dank, resiny hops totally dominate the nose along with some great perfumey, floral and citrus notes. This is one of those really special smelling beers that you'll always remember. The taste is just as big and bold. It starts off like the nose as a total fresh hop monster, full of resiny pine and bitter grapefruit along with some nice tropical notes. About midway through there's a measure of balance as some of the caramel malt sweetness emerges along with some orange peel, tangerine, and a bit of grassiness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and oddly creamy for an IPA. Surprisingly balanced and incredibly drinkable for such a big, hoppy beer. Overall, not sure it lived up to all the hype, but still one hell of a beer!

09-29-2013 22:34:11 | More by beerdrifter
jhartley

4.48/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured from a pint can to a poco grande style glass; just enough to look at the body, drank the rest straight from the can. Hey it's right on the can to enjoy it that way!

Cloudy orange-gold body light skim of a head on top. Didn't pour enough out to really let one form or allow any lacing. A slight swirling of the glass brings it back to life; small tight bubbles.

Smells...Holy Sheeet! Citrus. Grapefruit. Lemon. A dank hoppy aroma on the end. Some malt sweetness.

Tastes...Wow! Can see why this is so highly rated. I just fills the mouth with hops and a great amount of carbonation that fills the whole mouth with hoppy goodness. A dry finish.

Drank it out of the can and out of the glass and I gotta say...I prefer it out of the can! It seems to retain a nice bite to it. This isn't to say that I would refuse to pour it into a glass to enjoy it either. An all around great DIPA, no doubt in my mind as to why this is on top!

(Thanks again to jzeilinger for the hook-up!)

10-10-2013 21:47:38 | More by jhartley
jordanimal

4.48/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I suggest getting multiples to try one from the can, one in glass. Although most of everything you can say about this beer has been said, my take way is hugely balanced beer with great hops to malt balance, up front citrus fades to pine then to a roasty malt.

11-20-2013 15:19:55 | More by jordanimal
NeedBeerHere

4.48/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours out a nice orange in color in color with a small white head that dissipated quick. Smell is really fruity with orange, mango, and pineapple with a little a tiny bit of malt but it is so in the background that the hops are the forefront. Taste is really fruity with all that was in the nose but there is a tiny bit more bitter hops in the background that sits in the mouth and really meld well with all he other stuff going on. Mouthfeel is actually quite thick for the style and really adds a lot to the beer. Overall this is an amazing beer that is hopped so well that it's a very hard beer to beat for the style. It is world class!!!

12-27-2013 09:48:46 | More by NeedBeerHere
Pintofbrown

Iowa

4.48/5  rDev -5.3%

Served in a becker pint glass. Second dance with this highly regarded beer, reviewed from notes.

Heady Topper pours with about a finger's-width of white foam, bubbly and cratered. It does not stick around long, becoming a ring around the glass, exposing the lid of the hazy, unfiltered golden body with auburn highlights.

Loads of grapefruit in this bouquet, a little grassy, a bit of herbalness. And a sweet malt scent barely coming through. Very nice foundation of tropical fruit.

Heady Topper leads with that grapefruit, tropical quality on the palate. It gets a little diluted by a bit of earthiness, and a really nice bitter kiss of resin in the finish. Not quite balanced, there certainly is a sweet malt poking through, but the hops are so far ahead in the flavor department.

Very, very smooth for a DIPA. And very creamy, runs right over the tongue. Obviously dry on the finish, because of the very bitter hops on the back of the tongue. And it is also impressive how long the flavors stick around on the cheeks.

What needs to be said? This is obviously a world class beer. Is it worth the hyperbole that is said in the same breath as the name of this hallowed DIPA offering? Maybe. There are other DIPA's that manage to squeeze more clean citrus qualities onto the palate. Thanks for the opportunity to try this one again Hawkeyenation! Good luck on your hunt for this one, and enjoy!

12-30-2013 03:39:57 | More by Pintofbrown
womencantsail

4.47/5  rDev -5.5%

Thanks for sharing this one, Drew.

A: The pour is a cloudy dark orange with a finger's worth of white head.

S: The nose is intensely perfumey with lots of grapefruit, mango, pine, and lemon zest. There's a pretty nice pine aroma, and just an overall fruitiness to it.

T: Mango, pineapple, grapefruit, and lemon zest give this a big fruitiness. Though it does have a lot of fruit notes, it's also pretty intensely bitter and piney, which is very nice.

M: The body is medium with a pretty lively carbonation and a dry, bitter finish.

D: Certainly a very, very good IPA. Actually reminded me a lot of Sculpin, but more bitter. Would definitely like to have this one again.

12-11-2010 10:00:08 | More by womencantsail
nickd717

4.47/5  rDev -5.5%

22oz bottle, huge thanks to nathanjohnson.

Pours clear copper with a two-finger white head and excellent lacing.

The aroma is really awesome. Huge floral and citrusy hop punch with sweet caramel malt. Clean and intense.

The flavor is deinitely east coast style, but probably the best in that style I've had. Sweet caramel malt balanced by a huge flavorful and bitter hop burst. Floral notes, grapefruit, and orange. Tasty as hell.

The mouthfeel is nice, medium-bodied with big hop resins and a long enamel-ripping finish.

Nice beer overall. Awesome for an east coast style DIPA.

12-22-2010 18:07:48 | More by nickd717
Buggies

4.47/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a nice dark copper/orange with a thin fizzy head. Nice ring of lacing leaves blotchy chunks on the glass.

Smells great. Dominated by big booming aroma of pine. A little earthy with citrus coming through.

Tastes even more amazing. Once again the earthy pine flavors are up front. The citrus gives it a little sweetness. Nice bitter snap at the end.

What I really like about this beer is that the body is just right. Its pretty light focusing mostly on the hops. It's quite easy to drink due to the lightness of the body. You could drink a bunch of these and not feel full or have your mouth all tied up by stickiness.

06-07-2011 01:15:42 | More by Buggies