Join our email list →

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Reviews: 2,128 | Hads: 11,889
4.67/5  rDev +0.2%

16 oz can poured into snifter.

A- Pours a darker yellow brown color, ½ finger to one finger off white head dissipates quickly, nice lacing, good looking IPA.
S- Wow big hoppy aroma, peach, grapefruit, pine, citrus slight mango tropical fruits, nice malt backbone to balance it out.
T- Really tasty beer, sweet citrus, peach, mango, grapefruit, slight pine, grassy flavors, nice malt characteristics to balance it out, this is a well-balanced DIPA, love it.
M- Medium mouth feel, well carbonated, love the sediment that was flowing throughout the beer, smooth drinking, dry finish.
O- Really impressed, been waiting a while to try this one and I was not let down. So tasty and well balanced, hop bomb but not too over the top, one of the best DIPAs I have had the privilege to enjoy.

4.67/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks to a great friend for sharing with me.

Nice frothy snow white head, leaves brief sheets of lacing down glass. Opaque orangish hue with a charming rustic feel to it.

WOWY WOW WOW WOW! This is a citrus bomb in a can, me likey. Orangey pineapple mango piney resony goodness.

This like an adult version of a creamcicle, abundant sweet orange grapefruity goodness. Packs a wallop on the bitterness too. Touch of booze (in a good way) gives way to a hint of grainy malt. Long citrus finish and smoooth bittering.

Creamy smooth with excellant carbonation.

Loved it, ranks up with the exsellant boyking batches and the pliney I had last fathers day. I need a friend in that part of the country to ship.

4.67/5  rDev +0.2%

In my opinion, this might be the most drinkable double IPA I have ever had! Color is a nice golden hue, and then the aroma... oh, the aroma. Heady Topper STINKS of cascade, I love it! Goes down really smooth, hoppy, but not too hoppy, totally balanced. I look forward to trying more beers by the Alchemist.

4.67/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks to my Fraternity brother Devin who lives out in VT now for sending me two 4 packs of HT.

I drank part from the can and part poured into a snifter. After pouring it into a glass it produces a nice 2 finger width white head that leaves nice lacing with each drink. It is opaque orange/copper color. The nose is amazing great fruit smells first grapefruit, lemon, and a hint of sweetness from a fruit like mango also there is a good piney smell along with the fruit smell. Great bitterness up front but it balances well with the sweetness form the malt the bitterness is a good combination of fruit bitterness like grapefruit and a piney bitterness. All round great balance of flavors that you find in DIPA's. Mouthfeel is medium, carbonation is on point for the style. Over all this is an amazing beer If I could buy this off the shelves where I live I would have two 4 packs on hand at all times.

look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The Alchemist Heady Topper

Thanks to Jackie for the opportunity to give this one a go.

Enjoyed directly from the can, as recommended by the brewer. This was chilled to optimal temperature.

A) Poured about an ounce into a sampler glass to get a look at this brew. A hazy golden amber, with a small white head. Looks nice...

S) Very impressive... I've opened quite a few beers in my time, but this was something new. Upon cracking this one open, there was just an explosion of hops aroma. I'm so accustomed to pouring a beer into a glass, and getting my nose in there, but that is simply not necessary with this beer. Plenty piney/citrusy , and some tropical fruits too.

T) Very nice balance... The hops is the main attraction, but it is never overly bitter. Layers of hoppy goodness, piney, grassy, grapefruit, mango, a little lemon zest. Absolutely no indication the ABV is 8%.

M) A solid medium body, with light carbonation. A good jolt of hops, yet remarkably smooth. This is easy drinking, and finishes so clean.

O) Glad I was finally able to board this hype train. It took a long time to finally get the opportunity, but this one is worth seeking out for any hop lover. Only got one can, so staring at it now completely empty is a bit of a bummer. Anyone in Vermont looking to get their hands on some New Glarus beer?

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Still really enjoy this piece of heaven, however the one I had on Christmas was not nearly as good as the first one , your first is always the best. thanks to family living in Burlington, can get it pretty regularly and fresh.

4.67/5  rDev +0.2%

Reviewed from notes over Christmas break. Many thanks to the sister-in-law for making our Christmas amazing with this surprise under the tree!

A: fantastically hoppy with a citrus overtone.

Ap: golden amber hue, fairly transparent. 2 finger white head with amazing lacing that lines the glass from top to bottom.

B/T: mildly carbonated, with a smooth and quite refreshing tongue feel. It lingers on the tongue for just the right amount of time to be considered perfect.

Af: hits the tongue with a punch of citrus hops, but also a faint sweetness undertone. Leaves the mouth a little dry.

Overall: definitely gives Pliny the Elder a run for the money in the DIPAs. If only it were more readily available, it would be a staple in our fridge!

Cheers!
The CPJ

4.67/5  rDev +0.2%

Pretty stoked to have this beer. Poured some into a glass so I could see it, and the rest I drank out of a can.

A. Orangy hazy. Nice.
S. nice pine and grapefruit, citrus back end.
T. Good, damn, good. Hope forward that doesn't linger. Citrus back bone.
M. Medium level carbonation, but otherwise smooth.
O. Really good, well above average DIPA. Best beer out of a can that I have had.

4.67/5  rDev +0.2%

FINALLY! Thanks Dave! Pours a hazy/cloudy golden-orange color with a small-medium white head that disappears quickly. Scent is just what anyone would want in a DIPA...such lovely hop aroma! Tropical hops with intense, bitter pine notes. Smells so fresh and hoppy...pineapple, grapefruit, melon, pine sap, guava, orange, lemon...SO INVITING. Taste is lacking in the malt profile...which is GREAT! Being from the west coast, this is just what I like. A little bit of malt, but not enough to make this delicious brew lose any points. Lovely citrus and tropical fruit flavors with just the right amount of bitterness. No lingering bitterness with this beer...crisp and clean. The palate is miraculously wiped clean after a few seconds of each sip. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, full of flavor, and crisp finish. Drinkability is Very High. ABV not even noticeable. Overall, this was a great experience. I am very impressed considering this drinks like a west coast style DIPA...love the lack of malt. I wish I had regular access to this so I could drink it like the can recommends... straight from the can. Brilliant beer!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L-A hazy golden peach color with a full inch of white fluffy head. Lacing clings to the sides in layers as I drink.
S-Citrus is plain as the nose on my face. That would make it very plain for those not familiar.
T-There is the citrus you would expect. There is no bitterness what so ever which I find amazing. It's not complex or groundbreaking (anymore), it's simply incredibly well done.
F- A pretty good level of carb. Certainly not full or silky. What you would expect from an DIPA.
O-I now know why people wait in line for this beer. It isn't anything groundbreaking anymore. It's too old for that. It is simply an exhibition of doing something as close to perfection as possible. The can states "So drinkable it's scary", and I think that's about the perfect summation.

4.66/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The OG of the DIPA world. Had 1 from the can and 1 from a glass.

Pours a murky, shiny orange color. Smells very citrusy and piney. The bitterness is extraordinary. Has a thickness to it that makes it unique but not strange. Easy drinking, making it hard not to just chug it after a long day. Lives up to the hype for sure, and would highly recommend it

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Damn, finally my excessive beer drinking has paid off and I have been granted the opportunity to at last taste the topper. Served in a can as the label so duly instructs, I did pour a smidge into a snifter for the sole purpose of being able to rate the appearance. And so here it goes...

Appearance.. Seems cloudy enough. I am surprised that the hue is pale gold as opposed to dark like some IPAs. Has the look of a wheat beer almost with a sudsy head, little lacing.

Nose.. This is the cornucopia of IPAs.. Tropical, fruity, floral, bitter. Yes.

Taste.. Follows the nose and more. The right amount of bitterness and heat doing just the trick. All the qualities of a desirable ipa.

Mouthfeel.. Slick and powerful

Overall... Now I know what the hype is about. It's for certain to me now why this brew is so coveted. Not to say I haven't had other excellent IPAs similar to this style. In fact, all things said and done I have had several that could give heady a run for its money. But! An amazing beer. Must get more.

4.66/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had to drink a quarter from the can... Poured the rest gently into a glass.

A: Hazy yellow. Gorgeous blood orange throughout. Quarter finger head with gentle pour that coats the top of the beer and recedes to look like a map and lingers around the edges of the glass. Decent lacing.

S: Clean crisp citrus. Orange peel all the way.

T: I'm glad when this element is the highlight, and it is with this one. Sweet and juicy. Fresh squeezed OJ. Tangerine. Perfect amount of bitter. Slight candied sugar.

M: Fresh citrus coats the entire mouth. Bitter notes dance upon the tongue and cheeks but are balanced out just in time to not be overly aggressive.

O: Incredibly well balanced IPA... Medley of sweet, citrus and bitter flavors play perfectly off of one another. One I will continue to snag without question when the right opportunity presents itself. Wish I could make this my "regular heady" Disc Golf beer.

4.66/5  rDev 0%

Thanks Hoppypocket for the opportunity to try this bad-boy!

Appearance. Pours a very murky straw-orange (maybe just a little blue-green??)with a massive, frothy off-white head that lasts forever, but doesn't leave much for lace. I know it says to drink from a can but c'mon, let's be civilized here ;-)

Smell. Pine needles and citrus rinds, some good toasty malt, a little floral soap-like smell as well.

Taste. Big bitter floral, grassy hops with a splash of citrus juice. Some great roasty malt is there and there's a bunch of bitter citrus rind and grass in the finish that stays on the tongue.

Mouthfeel. Just below full body with medium-low carbonation. Very nice.

Overall. Had this side by side with my (previously) favourite dipa. I still have a great love for the other one, but this has to be the best tasting dipa I've had to date. Looks kinda' iffy, but a guy gets over that after one taste.

4.66/5  rDev 0%

A: The beer is hazy yellow in color and has some hints of amber hues. It poured with a finger high off white head that quickly died down, leaving a thin film of bubbles covering the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass. There is a slight amount of carbonation visible along with some fine particles floating in suspension.
S: There are strong aromas of citrusy hops in the nose along with some hints of pine resin. As the beer warms up, the piney hops become replaced by aromas of mangoes and other tropical fruits. I poured a little from the can into a snifter glass to give due justice to evaluating its appearance and aroma, but the smell is so strong that you can get most of it by simply sniffing the mouth of the can.
T: Like the smell, the overall taste is dominated by flavors from the hops—grapefruit really stands out in particular and contributes a moderate amount of bitterness that lingers into the finish. There are also some interesting hints of tropical fruits such as mangoes, which lend to the complexity and become a little stronger as the beer warms up. The hops also taste extremely fresh and seem a somewhat reminiscent of a wet hopped beer.
M: It feels medium-bodied and very crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: Despite being an Imperial IPA, this beer is a citrus hop bomb that drinks more like a regular IPA and has no traces of alcohol whatsoever in the taste. If I could find a four pack of this, I would have no problem knocking back each one of the cans in a single sitting.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Drinking from a 16 ounce can, per the can's request. Thanks for this one Cheesemoose. No freshness date. I'm told that this is a "fresh" can. Still not sure why everyone isn't dating their beers. Popped the can, aroma is bursting out of the little hole, pine, grapefruit, packed full of hops, awesome aroma. Taste is resinous and flavorful. Mainly grapefruit but notes of grass and pine. Totally juiced with flavor. Even the burps taste good.

4.66/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Drank a few of these from the can as instructed to by the labeling. I just couldn't resist pouring it into a pint glass for the next round.

Beer pours hard and frothy with a single finger lacing swirling to a butterscotch/apricot color. Absolutely beautiful for an IPA.

The smell of this is a complete knockout a double fisted paisley colored floral scented uppercut to the nose. Just full of fragrant floral excellence gently doused with a hint of a Werthers Original butterscotch candy. Its just dying to go to the darkside and give you an alcohol or resin aftertaste but it walks the tightrope of full fledged flavor power without giving in.

Honey drenched carbonated mouth feel washing down slightly syrupy.

This is borderline perfection. It might not be the best IPA but I've certainly never tasted its equal. If you can get your hands on one, grab it, You wont be disappointed.,

cheers

4.66/5  rDev 0%

Heady Topper is by far one of my favorite beers ever sampled. I've had it probably over 20 times, very hard to get, but they always happen to show up at our beer tastings. I'm not a huge fan of the amount of yeast/sediment in the bottom, but if you pour it just right into a pint glass you can avoid most of the sludge. Very hoppy and very flavorful.

4.66/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Delicious. If I fall into some more I will happily drink it, but probably not differentiated enough from readily available double IPAs to make the hassle worth it.

4.66/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to JOSHMAN for this one (and three others)!

As best I can tell from the information I have, this was canned on June 3rd, 3 weeks ago.

First review of Heady Topper on a "Drink from the can!" experience:

Poured from a can into my mouth.

A: Silver, black. Picture a guy drinking beer from a glass, but his head is exploding with hops. That's about what this looks like. Clean and shiny. Not really sure how I can even grade this. I'm resigned to just giving it whatever my "overall" is.

S: Sweet, sweet hops. Earthy and citric aromas come strong out of the can immediately upon opening. A little spiciness lingers, almost like the faintest hint of a cologne, but in a good way. Strong citrus aromas of pineapple dominate. I could sniff this beer all day, but I've resigned to drinking it.

T/M: Follows the nose pretty closely. A little more carbonation up-front than through the rest of the sip is delivered... maybe the can, maybe just my perception. Lots of sweet citrus on the body, with a little dank earthiness following. A lingering bitterness follows along with a little more earthy flavor and feel. The bitterness in this emerges almost after all other flavors have begun to die off but doesn't dominate the flavor profile while sipping. Body has nice, sweet malt character that doesn't dominate the beer, but does provide a sweetness to this that is very nice with all of the citrus. Alcohol doesn't show up much at all in the taste. The mouthfeel overall is just about perfect for the style in terms for gravity, but the lingering finish feels just slightly off, like I'm trying to get something out of my mouth rather than keep it there. Still very pleasant. Really drinkable.

O: Really happy with this beer. I will need to try it side by side with Pliny to really sort out the nuances of each, but each is great in its own right. I'm finding myself drinking this dangerously quickly -- I am pretty glad I don't have enough of these to just enjoy at will and open in series, or I could end up very drunk very quickly. I was worried that this beer would be a little too dank for me, but that really hasn't been the case at all. I don't suspect that the beer has "lost" this since canning, so I think perhaps I just had unfounded worries. Great beer.

4.66/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received in trade from Bricenice, Thanks Mike!

A: okay, if you follow the directions " drink straight from the can" how can you rate appearance? So I started drinking from can then poured the second half into a FFF Teku. How anyone can rate appearance a 5 is beyond me unless you thin the can is beautiful. Appearance is a murky golden color with decent head but retention was lacking.

S: amazing, one of the best smelling beers I have ever had, tons of floral notes, cirus, pine, aroma does not dissipate at all.

T: again, outstanding. Very different than any other DIPA I've had. On par with Pliny, Dreadnaught, and Abrasive.

M: very good but not quite as smooth as Dreadnaught or other slightly higher abv beers.

O: definitely worth seeking out if you like DIPA's. Very different from most others as well, the aroma is probably the best I have ever sensed but the taste, mouthfeel, and appearance bring it down for me a bit.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I was lucky enough to trade for some of these fine IPAs with a friend and colleague on the east coast (Canada, no less).
While IPAs are certainly not my favorite style of beer (although I am becoming convert) this beer is amazing.
It's got all the great characteristics of the style that I love; oily mouth feel, fresh hoppy nose, creamy finish that fades to a refreshing tartness and drones that just welcomes another cool sip.
Generally, I am not a "hop head" so I really appreciate an IPA that does not blast me with bitterness.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance- Pours up a more than a fair amount of head and seems to have pretty good retention. The head is a pure cotton white while the body is a hazy, pale to medium amber with weak grapefruit notes which glows a pale amber with hints of orange when held up to the light. Hazy but I haven't detected any of the infamous floaters. Some lacing is left behind.

Nose- Not the strongest scent that I've encountered from an IPA/DIPA but still fairly warm and inviting. Rings with citrus- grapefruit, orange, and lemon. Mellow to moldy peach. Cherries, some honey. Nice floral and perfume notes. Some banana. Quite complex but very subtle at the same time. Some papaya after swirling.

Taste- Reflective of the nose in both complexity and subtlety. Armpit and funk start off with a mixture of citrus and honey following. Some onion with lots of grapefruit and both orange and lemon peel. Very subdued matchstick which borders on sublime. The hops are incredibly fresh (this is a 3 day old can) and well rounded. The yeast and hops lend an incredible spiciness to the finish. Honey and caramel provide a sweetness that blend well with the bold citrus, tropical fruit, and mild pine and resin of the hop profile. This is very mellow and incredibly smooth for the style. Nectar seems to be the one word which bind together the entire description of this beer. Some vinous characteristics- some white grape. As this opens up, it becomes more delightful and boozy. But the booze is warm and inviting and seems to attach the flavors to your palate (or perhaps this is more the mouthfeel which seems to coat your tongue in film). Peaches, melons, banana, orange, and lemon. So many fruits and so much juiciness with the right amount of pine and resin to balance it all out. Makes me think of a less messy 120. Not sure how this ranks against the Plinys but they're all pretty close. Some funk that evokes moldy cheese and mushrooms. A hint of cinnamon.

Mouthfeel- Incredibly smooth and creamy for an IPA. This is definitely a large part of the appeal of this beer. It's almost buttery, a little bit greasy with somewhat of a dry finish which does cleanse the palate but allows the spice and wood of the finish to linger. Even the middle parts of the profile linger. Good amount of carbonation. There's tons of juice and syrup on the texture- this is pretty heavy for an DIPA. Medium bodied. Somewhat silky as well. The more it opens up, the more you mouth tingles.

Drinkability- This is extremely accessible for an IPA. I had a Boneyard RPM earlier and thought that was approachable but it doesn't even hold a candle to the near sublimity that defines this beer. 3 bucks a can is a steal for this can. I feel pretty good about paying 60 bucks for the 12 cans I was able to get.

Overall- Great beer. It isn't my favorite beer in the world but I understand why it resides at the top of the rankings. If you nitpick the flavor profile, you can judge it to be just like any other world class or outstanding IPA/DIPA. However, this beer needs to be considered as more than the sum of its parts. It is constantly involving in the mouth even after a drink has been taken. It never even approaches boring- there are different notes constantly appearing. Definitely worth a try if you can get some.

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%

Beenitty is a total badass and a quality human being. I received this surprise package of 2 very fresh Heady Topper cans in the mail this morning, and could not wait for them to get cold to drink them. This is super fresh- about 11 days old total. What an amazing cool thing for him to do- Beenitty I will get you back man!

Poured from can into my DFH snifter. Nice fluffy head that recedes very slowly. Dank piney and sweet citrus hops announce themselves when the can pops. Smell on further inspection: resinous, piney hops, and there is a bready sweetness to it too. Taste- wow. heaven. the hop oils hit the back of my throat with a burst of bitterness, but it is followed by a tropical sweet flavor that still sits on my lips. Waves of piney and floral hoppiness all over my mouth. If I were to compare this to something, it might be Surly Abrasive. Just a huge hoppy celebration in a can. Super fresh, it probably isnt as balanced as others say it is, the hops are just so pronounced, they are definitely the focus of this beer.

Overall, this is up there with the best of them. I won't call it my all time best IIPA, but it is close. And so kickass that its in a can....I am going to try to do a trade for a full box of this soon.

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a nice hazy orange a with a big creamy white head on top. A fair amount of sticky lace left behind.

Wonderfully aromatic with a boatload of citrusy hop character. Grapefruit and orange stick right out there. A fair bit of sweetness with even a slight vanilla-like note that is certainly unexpected but rather pleasant.

The bright and citrusy hop aromas cary over well into the palate. Deliciously hoppy without the mouth puckering bitterness you often find in DIPAs. Sweeter than your typical IPA/DIPA but not cloying at all.

Mouthfeel comes across with a nice smooth and creamy medium body feel. Overall, Heady Topper is hard to beat. I might just have to make more trips to Vermont from now on.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist