Heady Topper - The Alchemist

The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros

I was so happy to finally taste this 'mythical' beer that seems so hard to find. My uncle brought down 6 from Vermont and we compared side by side with Pliny the Elder. I decided to split the experience, half in a dog fish head tulip and the other half out of the can.

A- hazy orange, reminds me of when pouring a racer 5..unfiltered. Nice finger and a half of white head. Great retention and lacing.
S- intense citrus, pine needle-resin...grapefruit and tangerine really shine through.
T- hop bomb! Intense grapefruit and piney resin with every sip. From the can, the hoppiness seems to be intensified...good malt backbone but the hops are clearly the star!
M- mouth is left with a reisinous, piney, gooey aftertaste. Seems to linger on...tad bit of carbonation left on the tongue.
O- overall a FANTASTIC double ipa. If you are a hop head this will not let you down. I recommend trying both from a tulip glass and the can....they are both great in their own right. Definitely worth trying to find...it took me a while but worth the wait!

World class ipa not just for the hopheads but in general. Even if you do not like ipas you have to give this a try. It's like biting into a hoppy pineapple without a hint of its true abv. Simply amazing. Follow directions and do not pour in a glass...

Look, I'm not going to add a whole lot to the conversation here, but I've got to write something - I'm tearing up as I type... I've had this 4 times now. 1st at a party in Somerville, and I was half in the bag already. 2nd time it was warm. 3rd time was a tip from a guy at the bar I work at 2 a.m. And I'm having one now. All have been memorable. It is a remarkable experience.

A: I poured it out into an 10oz glass and it shows a hazy yellow gold. 1" of white foam. I did drink the remainder from the can as instructed. 2nd time I've done that.

S: Woody, earthy pine, then comes a wave of baked peaches and apricots, and finally the much anticipated ruby grapefruit.

T: Sweet bread malt, and the grapefruit bitterness. Lingers to orange juice and honey, balancing the hops. Wonderful.

M: Chewy, yet spirited carbonation. Just a kiss of residuals. Alcohol?

O: This beer makes me smile. Tough to describe, but there's this luscious backbone that screams for all that hops. Every time I taste it I can't get over the sweet homebrew note that counters that Imperial IPA hop blast. It's like a dash of salt on your watermelon, or a couple granules of sugar on a cucumber, it just works. I adore Stone's Ruination (had it on tap for years where I bartended), but this is less refined, more casual, less pretentious, yet bolder - drink it from the can or don't. Just be happy knowing it's out there. A+

This beer is so unique and exceptional that it's hard for me to figure out how it was concocted.

A - RUSTIC......cloudy, unfiltered, dark orange hue, glows like the sun when held up to the light.

S - Explosive dank weed and grapefruit......hops that must have been found in another world....unique in every way....never smelled or tasted anything like Heady.

T - Dank weedy citrus upfront following the smell but the hop explosion is ridiculous. I recall thinking of other easy to find IPAs being explosive in taste and smell and when I had Heady for the first time and returned to the beers I've had before it ruined what I thought was once complex.

M - immediate dankness, carbonation and hop explosion that I can only describe as hoppy pop rock grapefruit earthy soil weedy candy in the mouth that lasts for minutes. If you're a wine drinker think high end $100 bottles napa cabernet lingering explosion. This beer changed what I thought a beer could be.

Danger - my new category that I created on my own. Danger is when you have an 8% beer that at first sip you feel like one pint will be just plenty but as you continue to drink you want to sip more frequently and more frequently and the alcohol is so well hidden by the mesh of flavor and mouthfeel that you continue to drink and go back for more until your night is over. Most 8% beers let you know when enough is enough. Heady does not. That's how you get notoriety apparently;)

O - is it the best hoppy ale on the planet? From my experience some days yes and some days top five. Abner certainly is right there, Lawsons too...harder to get and I recall a side by side on draft where i preferred Abner but there's something about scoring those 4 pack cans and bringing them home. Heady is not for beginners in some cases but if you like hops this one will blow your stack.....I'll end by saying that this is the most dangerously drinkable 8% beer I've ever had.

Appearance: His mama name him 'Clay', I'ma call him 'Clay' - straight from the can as advised by the maker. Who am I to defy him?

Smell: Whoa. Very strong citrus burst as soon as the can is cracked. Pineapple is the dominant aroma. Almost overwhelming.

Taste: Grapefruit, pineapple, obviously incredible hops. It lingers and doesn't let up for a good 20 seconds. Expands in your mouth.

Mouthfeel: Smooth like Miles Davis at his Kind of Blue peak. Toes the line of having a creamy feel but doesn't quite get there. Pretty much perfect.

If Superman was a beer drinker, he would drink Heady.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist