1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Heady TopperHeady Topper

The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA” 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
View: Beers (9) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,185 | Reviews: 1,468 | Show All Ratings:
powder245

West Virginia

purchased on ebay, and after arriving i quickly purchased again!

one of the best tasting and smoothest ipa's i have ever tasted... my fridge currently has bells hop slam, pliny the elder and just finished the last of the hoptimum, but this is now the can i reach for!

first can i poured, despite the cans instructions, in to a tulip glass. the head was a nice off white, but nothing too heavy. color was exactly what you want in an ipa, orangish amber. the smell was really fresh and lovely! even my wife said it smelled good! :)
it's all up hill from here... the first taste lets you know your drinking something special. your second drink assures you you weren't delusional, and by the third your already checking if you have more!

buy this beer! buy it by the case if you can! keep this beer in your fridge all year round!

06-14-2012 16:09:05 | More by powder245
brewtechnik

New Hampshire

A: Perfect... clear golden with a thick lasting white head.
S: Wow! smells amazing...like a bag of super fresh hops.
T: A lot like the smell, but better...add a subtle malt character to this hop bomb and you've got a perfect marriage of of both. Superbly balanced!
M: Not too thin or thick...Goldie Locks would be proud!

I really can't say enough about this beer...It's all that and more! Get a can NOW!

06-29-2012 15:00:48 | More by brewtechnik
Fibrillator

No question the best IPA I've had. Can not review appearance, you should only drink from the can, as designed. (But gave it a 5 because I'm sure it's perfect, website makes you enter value here) Desperate to find more, may have to take a trek... Grab this if you can, beats them all.
Thanks to Kevin for the gift, I'll be sure to return the favor!

07-01-2012 16:01:55 | More by Fibrillator
mjw1200

I just opened my first ever Heady Topper. In the words of the great Homer Simpson "Jebus, Buddha, I love you alll." This is different than anything I have had before. Nothing relates to it. I have had Pliny the Elder, Hopslam, and a number of other amazing beers. I am not sure I am saying its the best beer I have ever had, but its in the discussion and its definitely unique. I am drinking it straight from the can as the rim of the can says to do. Its extremely bitter to in the begining but citrus in the end. Do whatever it takes to get your hands on this (outside of taking one of my glorious new friends from my fridge).

07-02-2012 00:08:31 | More by mjw1200
dashmartino

What more can I say about this beer? Drove 7 hrs from PA to the brewery. People were very nice there. Bought 3 cases, only trouble is you have to keep it cold because it is unpasturized I believe.

I had one beer out of the can and one poured out. The poured one is very cloudy like a hefe. Put it up to your nose and it may burn your eyebrows off it's so hoppy. First sip, pungent, piney hop flavor, balanced with the sweet citrus, but also tastes creamy like a hefe, whereas a lot of IPAs taste thinner. Nice thing about this beer is that some IPAs lose their hoppiness the closer you get to the end of your glass. Not this one. As the advertising says, wave after wave of hoppiness till the finish. Very very enjoyable, if you have a free weekend and don't mind road trips, go seek this beer out. Bring some coolers to keep it cold on the ride home!

07-07-2012 14:17:32 | More by dashmartino
atrain0187

Let me tell you about the mythical adventure that this beer bestowed upon me....

After trolling for this beverage, I was luckily blessed with the notification that an coworker (who will remain nameless but will never be forgotten) was traveling north for vacation. I politely asked if he would be traveling through Vermont on his trip and gave the coordinates of the location where this beverage could be obtained...My expectations were low but I remained hopeful.

Today at work I asked if he struck out. To my delight he informed me that not only did he not strikeout, he hit the motherload. He had 40 16 oz cans on ice in the back of his chariot. After work, we met in the parking lot with trunks open to exchange cash for services rendered. I immediately rushed home, called my delinquent brother who had been previously informed about the intricate details of the spoken beer.

Now for the review....I cracked my first beer at 17:36 EST. Initial waft was heavenly and I achieved 1/2 a stock. For those that don't know that is a semi...First sip and holy hopness my 1/2 stock had turned to full blown chub. I called my brother immediately and found he was in route. Sip after sip it got better. I chose to drink from the can as recommended and the swill sucker punched me with a full hop slam to the face. I thought best IPA I ever had....

I waited for my brother to arrive and cleansed my palet. He arrived and I handed him a cold can and cracked my second. First sip and the same thing happened to him (1/2 stock for those keeping score). The reaction continued through his 1st can.

Honestly I can say this is the best beer I have had. I am a big IPA fan, and this blows them all away. Highly recommended but difficult to obtain. Sell your children if needed to obtain a case.

07-10-2012 23:41:45 | More by atrain0187
gonzowestwood

Connecticut

Had on Tap at the Blind Tiger some months back... from notes

A- a cloudy pale straw unfiltered delight

S- juicy, fruity, hops, hops and more hops. Pine, some grapefruit and a little orange peel. Also a touch of malt

T- just simply unbelievable. a hop head's wet dream

M- This is were this beer shines. Its so unbelievably smooth and well balanced

O- This is a perfect beer. Nothing else comes close. Was lucky enough to have side by side with Lawson's 'Double Sunshine', Hill Farmstead 'Galaxy' and 'Society #3' and Heady is better hands down.

07-15-2012 02:37:49 | More by gonzowestwood
TBoneJones

My first review of a beer I choose this one, kindly sent fresh from the northeast. I preface, this offering is being tasted on an afternoon where, sometime following this review i will be trying my first Pliny TE (having arrived simultaneously).. Heady Topper: As a lover of American craft brew for 3 years and having tried, in my mind, a good deal of DIPA's (considering I didn't become a craft beer advocate until relocating to Texas oddly enough), I am more than enthusiastic about this tasting.The hop bouquet is blowing my mind, and in a well-balanced way. Expectations of this beer are met and slightly exceeded (they were phenomenal expectations prior to sampling). Pineapple/ citrusy greatness abounds. With this beer it seems as if I've never appreciated the mouthfeel of this style until now. There is no drawback here. Tasty beyond belief. Balance is impeccable, yet i need to stress how the hops flourish here... is this Simcoe and Citra? Well i dont know, that I wonder though. Anyway out of curiosity I poured a bit less than 1/4 of the can into a Chimay chalice for a visual. I really appreciate an unfiltered IPA made well (prior to this my affinity was for the now-shelved DFH Squall). Im liking the look of murky golden when I know everything else about it is sublime. The lacing with Heady is incredible, and again lacing is something I continue to appreciate but with this beer in a glass it was sticky city (and this from a beerman who spot cleans his glassware well). But yes I have to agree with the brewmastery of Alchemist where the recommendation is to drink from the can. Yes you will surely love it in glassware, but if you love true hop heaven, you will be best to press lips to aluminum.

07-20-2012 22:51:25 | More by TBoneJones
Gilmanbrz

Vermont

I got no bad words about it. But this is theee best beer that I ever drink in my holler life of travelling the world. And I have to say that the alchemist brewery did an exceptional job on this unique beer. For those that can handle the heady topper, maybe you should try the walden. That is a brew made by the alchemist and hill farm brewery together. Very similar to heady topper but much lite. I wish the alchemist made more then 1800 cans of week so that other stores closer to my house would be able to have them.
Thank you.

07-29-2012 21:56:35 | More by Gilmanbrz
patm1986

thank you.

A--the first time i had this beer it was actually on tap at blind tiger several months ago.
i was meeting a friend who works up the street from the tiger, and i had been at some museums all day fucking around.
i had no idea that the tiger did VSK on mondays; that is, a very special keg--had i known, i would've had my ass in there a lot earlier.
i was five or so minutes late to meet my buddy for 6pm, so when i entered he was already there, set up close to the door as it was crammed in the joint.
entering i noticed two things: 1) it was SO PACKED. it's near a happy hour of sorts probably, and everyone is still in here drownin' a glass or five, i thought. and 2) everyone, i mean EVERYONE, was swirling, smelling, even quaffing, what looked like a flame held within a lantern. it was, however, a tulip of some cloudy, intensely bright orange liquid.
my friend, as well, was holding one, and before salutations, he just stuck it in my face, "drink!"
i could not, however, get over the color, which really looked like a flame lantern.
i did the obligatory swirl and sniff. and drank. it altered, startled me. he said, "heady topper!"
NO WAY.
i tell this story, because, since that day, i've had a lot of this beer, yet each of those subsequent experiences were from out of the can.
i have not viewed the appearance of this beer ever since, and due to that amazing experience and the brewers' directions, unless it's tapped, i will not ever again.

S--MANGO. mangoes gone mad; over-, over-ripened lemons and oranges; the earthy rinds of oranges and lemons; grass and grass; the hop madness of chinook, simcoe, centennial. potent.

T--it's like juice. it's so unbelievably refreshing. i'd have this after a run. not too bitter, earthy, piney, biting, aggressive, yet it is all of those things at the same time. it is one of the most pleasant IPAs i've had despite being one of the most hoppy. citrusy, like lemon, grapefruit galore, orange. the mango, tropical flavor profile rocks your shit, too.

M--Smooth. so refreshing. not a hop milkshake, which is the definitive separation in comparison with the west coast DIPAs. they are so thick, they're fatty--i have found this to be true with MAINE BREW CO., LAWSON'S, etc also. this is smooth as silk despite its profile. amazing.

O--and out of the coolest tall boy i've ever seen.

08-02-2012 18:30:20 | More by patm1986
TronDave

A - An awesome can - Drink from it.

S - A Beautiful strong sweet Smell

T - Hoppy explosion with gusto and wisdom

M - crisp and refreshing

O - It's simply the best 2xIPA out there.... I had a fun time tasting the beer in Waterbury and meeting the crew. Its a great beer made by good people. Enough said.

08-14-2012 01:15:58 | More by TronDave
waddellc2

In my top 3 all time favorite beers. FIghts for the number 1 spot But I think it might be one of the ebst beers

DOnt be decieved by the can!

IMPOSSIBLE to get outside of northern vermont (Stowe, Burlington, Montpelier)

Case costs $72 for 24 16 oz beers. WOrth every penny

Only on draft in 2 places that i know of. THe cannery in Waterbury, and Prohibition Pig, the onld brewery

08-23-2012 12:33:08 | More by waddellc2
stoutluvr420

Vermont

Drank out of the can. This is about as close to DIPA perfection as you can get. I absolutely cannot believe that beer from a can could be this good. Total fresh hop fragrance hits you as you pop the top of the can. The can says "drink from the can" but I need to pour it into a glass to appreciate the hop aroma and flavor to its fullest. really nice unfiltered murky pour with a huge off-white creamy head. The flavor is perfection: huge hop flavor with none of the bitterness. My favorite beer right now.

09-16-2012 23:06:34 | More by stoutluvr420
jimilayne

Appearance: His mama name him 'Clay', I'ma call him 'Clay' - straight from the can as advised by the maker. Who am I to defy him?

Smell: Whoa. Very strong citrus burst as soon as the can is cracked. Pineapple is the dominant aroma. Almost overwhelming.

Taste: Grapefruit, pineapple, obviously incredible hops. It lingers and doesn't let up for a good 20 seconds. Expands in your mouth.

Mouthfeel: Smooth like Miles Davis at his Kind of Blue peak. Toes the line of having a creamy feel but doesn't quite get there. Pretty much perfect.

If Superman was a beer drinker, he would drink Heady.

09-21-2012 01:33:17 | More by jimilayne
cackerman76

Although the can directs not pour I couldn't do that. After taking a sip or two from the can I poured out and got the full hop aroma which I have to have with an IPA. This is beer is talked up so much I feared I would be let down but even with lofty expectations this beer exceeded them. Best IPA in northeast, Hands down.

09-21-2012 14:40:10 | More by cackerman76
Vermont-the-Trader

I've had this beer many, many times..On tap at the PIG is the best place to drink it. Also, had it straight up out of the can. And, even went against the grain and poured the can into a glass pint. This beer is so god i would recommend taking a bath in it. Tons of hop after hop his your noise from the get go. Beautiful gold color, with a creamy head that laces perfectly to the glass and your face! Mild bitter, Erich is explained on the can. 8% abv so clearly, this one can get ahead of you. Very balanced malt to bittering, creating a nice full creamy body. I live about 3hrs away from the Alchemist cannery, and do travel up there often, if, you're looking to trade, drop me you're request.

10-07-2012 12:38:51 | More by Vermont-the-Trader
MacQ32

South Carolina

A - I followed directions and drank it straight out of the the can. Cool can.

S - Lots of flavorful bitter citrus and piney aromas, orange and pineapple, herbal, heavenly. Literally smells like raw pellet hops.

T - Piney bitter explosion up front mostly piney and semi dry up front, malty sweetness briefly kicks in followed by another more intense burst of citrusy hoppyness through the finish, straw/grassy finish. I've eaten a few whole hops before and its slightly reminiscent of that.

M - Medium bodied or so. Very drinkable and quenching as I find all aggressively hopped brews. Appropriate carbonation.

O - Finally, I made it to Central VT to pick up a few 4packs. It met all of the hype. No idea what it looks like but I dont care, based off of everything else this beer is perfect so its getting a 5. I have a feeling if I poured this into a can there would be a lot of hop reminents mixed in. Raw flavorful hops

10-16-2012 00:59:28 | More by MacQ32
BeerTwigs

On a Trip to Vermont with the Family... I had to stop here. I got my first taste of this beer on Tap and it was amazing. Of course they were out of cans, luckily on my way out of town they were restocked and I picked up some (definitely not enough).

A - I drank a little from the can and poured there the rest into my Duvel glass to get a good look at it. It was hazy/cloudy light orange color with pieces floating in it

S - A big, fresh aroma of bitter citrus and piney hops. There is also a hint of orange and grapefruit.

T - Wow. Very similar to the aroma. Dry and piney with a rush of citrus hops. Bitter with a semi-sweet malty balance

M - Good carbonation and medium bodies. It drinks relatively smooth for the ABV and hop content.

O - Definitely recommend this beer if you can get it. Definitely recommend driving to get this beer if needed. I enjoyed it. I didnt mind the fact that deliciousness was floating in the beer when poured out of the can, probably why the recommend drinking from the can. Awesome stuff either way.

10-17-2012 18:12:03 | More by BeerTwigs
silentdonkey

On tap in a snifter at the cannery in Vermont.

A: Cloudy golden orange with a small fluffy off white head. Awesome lacing that clings to the side of the glass resembling a spider web by the time you are finished.

S: One of the best smelling things on earth! It might have helped that the tasting room at the cannery was filled with sweet hoppy scents. I verified that the nose was as good as I remembered when I cracked a can later. Lots of herbal pine and resinous hops mixed with fruity tropical citrus.

T: This beer is no joke. I would classify it as the smoothest tasting hop juice you can imagine. Lots of late kettle addition hops. Tons of hop flavor. Crisp with lots of pine, resin, and grapefruit/orange hops up front. Slightly bitter at first that transitions into the best tasting sweet tropical citrus hop flavor that lingers. Slightly sweet malt profile balances the hop bitterness very well.

M: Crisp with a medium-full body. Really smooth with a nice syrupy consistency. Perfectly carbonated. I could drink this every day of my life.

O: Honestly, this beer meets all the hype. There are a lot of rarities out there that are really sought after that do not live up to their hype. This beer absolutely does. Easily the best DIPA out there that I have tried (I haven't had younger).

10-22-2012 23:34:43 | More by silentdonkey
GarthDanielson

Finally, I got my hands on this. Here we go. I'm going to drink from the can, as instructed on the can, but I will pour a bit so I can comment on the appearance. Aromas on popping the can are strong and abundant. Beautifully balanced oregano-spiced hops roll out, with a strong resiny background and malty sweet backbone. Smells amazing. I poured about a half a tumbler so I could see any head formation, and boy is there. The beer is a slightly hazed, unfiltered, goldenrod coloring with a tall, frothy, big bubbled, off-white head that is an inch and a half and doesn't appear to be going anywhere. Flavors are roasted in the backbone, with a rich, resiny, bitter hops presence that just overflows the palate. The hops spicing is more subtle than the nose was, which works out very well in the total package. Citrus characters roll out across the palate the more you drink, with an undertone of grapefruit tart and bitterness. Delicious. Wet hops flavors are abundant from the initial taste across the board into the aftertaste. Rich, full bodied, and extremely smooth, which supports all of the flavor profiles. The finish is bitter and slightly drying, with a clean overall feel. This beer is fantastic. The more you drink, the more layers of hops flavor reveal themselves. Amazing. This is a tremendous brew!

10-22-2012 23:54:32 | More by GarthDanielson
jbellows

Vermont

This is, hands down, the best double IPA I've tasted. The hops explodes out of the can when you open it, literally filling the room with the smell. Great coloration, and the remains that come out of the can at the end add even more flavor. The aftertaste is not bitter at all, and leaves a very nice, non bitter flavor. Drinking it out of the can is definitely the best way to drink, though out of the tap is certainly right up there (Proabition Pig in Waterbury Vermont)Visiting Vt is a great thing right now for Beer lovers. Hill Farmstead and Lawsons are also right up there with their double IPA's as well. But neither can keep up with Heady...

11-01-2012 20:38:52 | More by jbellows
theveganbrewer

Oregon

This it it! Years of tasting beers and I've found my favorite (thus far). Everything about this beer suits my palate perfectly. Arena, bitterness, yeast character are all flawless. Its unique yeast, plentiful hops, and generous bittering are perfect.

11-03-2012 08:17:03 | More by theveganbrewer
BeerMeFitz

Enjoyed this fresh at the Brewery in June

A- I poured a linto a tasting glass at the Brewery- cloudy and golden color

S- You can smell the awesome hop profile and the earthyness

T- Amazing, very cold so my palate was numb but the fresh hop taste comes through

M- the carbonation is spot on

O- this beer extremely fresh is the perfect DIPA

Heady Topper you have placed in the number 1 spot for me,Cheers!

11-04-2012 06:56:43 | More by BeerMeFitz
Pinknuggets

First of all this is my favorite beer definitively. Its in the top 5 best things about living in Vermont for me (I still lovermont) so take this review with a grain of salt if you must

Can to HFS sniffer but I went ahead and drank one straight from the can because the paragraph on the back tells me to.

A:Pours like an DIPA should hazy cloudy orangey honey with plenty of hop floaters and completely opaque with a nice fluffy white head.

(rest of review is direct from the can)

S:citrus hop smells are more powerful then any beer I've ever smelled its overwhelming and fantastic at the same time. There is definitely hints of pine resin from the blast of hops but other then hops there really isn't anything else but in a DIPA thats all i need.

T: This stuff is liquid hop juice there really just aren't many beers that can even compare. There is just a massive amount of hop flavor (citrus orange pine resin) and bitterness with a wide range but they do not overpower one another and still maintain balance. This thing is the hop bomb of all hop bombs and it still tastes balanced. WTF?!?!??!

M:Oily and dripping with resin you can feel it in your mouth for a long time after just a single sip. It is very pleasant though and I consider it the proper bitterness feel as it is good and matches the tremendous amount of hops used

O: LIke I said I love this beer, I don't know what I will do if/when I leave VT it really is that good it makes my day every time I pick it up and never lets me down I can't recommend it enough. Get it if you like ipa's it is the top of the mountain.

11-10-2012 01:42:59 | More by Pinknuggets
omniscientcause

Have had this plenty of times in a can and in a glass.

Notes from 11/10 after drinking blind pig and pliny previously

A: Golden deep orange with a small fluffy off white head. Awesome lacing that clings to the side of the glass.

S: Easily the best smelling beer period. Lots of herbal pine and resinous hops mixed with fruity tropical citrus. The cans still smell great weeks after being drank. (Yes I some times keep cans around that long)

T: Easily the smoothest tasting hop juice you can imagine. Tons of hop flavor. Crisp with lots of pine, resin, and grapefruit/orange hops up front. Slightly bitter at first that transitions into the best tasting sweet tropical citrus hop flavor that stays with you after your done drinking. Slightly sweet malt profile balances the hop bitterness very well.

M: Crisp with a medium-full body. Really smooth with a nice syrupy consistency. Perfectly carbonated. If I could I would drink this every day of my life.

O: This is the standard for me in comparing other beers. This is my DIPA benchmark and very few beers come close to this with the exception of IPAS from HF. Easily the best beer made to date and can't wait for it to become more accessable in the coming years.

11-21-2012 17:34:30 | More by omniscientcause