2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Heady TopperHeady Topper

The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA” 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
View: Beers (9) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,194 | Reviews: 1,468 | Show All Ratings:
gnl-weirdness

I have the wonderful pleasure of living 10 minutes away from The Alchemist cannery, and was a long time patron of their restaurant/brewery before the flood. A skeptic at first, I was amazed at the first run. Not being a huge fan of anything canned, it was such an incredible surprise when I took my first sip. HOPSSS, and such an incredible punch to the mouth of amazing flavors. This is everything a beer should be, and more. Others have written much better/professional reviews. If you question any of them, shoot me a message and let's trade because this brew speaks for itself.

5/5 with no doubt in my mind.

11-30-2012 03:22:03 | More by gnl-weirdness
Chunksofgunks

I had read a lot about this beer before i tasted it. It lived up to the hype! A bitter, flowery beast of perfection.

Appearance= Golden ruby
Smell= best smelling beer I've ever tasted
Taste=bitter heaven
Mouthfeel =smooth viscosity
Overall= I drove round trip 9 hours for this beer. It was worth the trip!!

12-02-2012 04:13:15 | More by Chunksofgunks
SeanNaugs

Probably one of the best IPA's I have ever tasted!
The first can I opened I drank straight from the can as directed and it was exceptionally amazing. The first sip was an explosion of many flavors but the hoppy finish was the best. After half of the can I started feeling the buzz and the rest was history.
I will buy this in quantity next time I have the opportunity.

12-21-2012 14:34:36 | More by SeanNaugs
stereosforgeeks

Appearance: Poured a little into a snifter to see what it looked like. Hazy orange/gold. I like the haziness of the beer. foretold of the great things to come.

Smell: Grapefruit, hops, oranges, grass, floral, and piney.

Taste: Wow this one just gives and gives flavor. Lots of the floral tastes mixed with the bitter hops and citrus notes. everything balances really well. Swishing this around in your mouth is like a resiny hop and citrus explosion and then you start to taste the other flavors at play like a mild caramel. The best part is the aftertaste. It just goes on an on. Wonderful.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied a little stickiness but not too much. The carbonation is the perfect amount to tingle the taste buds but without overpowering anything.

Overall: Wow. The hype is real. This can got delivered to the store and I am drinking it only 5 days later. I hope my friends in VT will continue to ship this out to me ocassionally because I am addicted!

12-24-2012 18:25:41 | More by stereosforgeeks
RoninTK3

New Hampshire

A - Extremely murky. You can barely even see light through this beer. A bit of head. Really something unusual here.

S - Hops.

T - Hops. Really, that's about it, but it's incredibly drinkable. This is so good it makes me not want to finish it.

M - Medium bodied and sticky, almost chewy. Average carbonation. Leaves your whole mouth tingling.

This is the best IPA I've ever head. I'm a hop fanatic, but I've had beers that are just hop juice and this isn't one of them. This is very drinkable and not just hoppy for the sake of being hoppy. More please.

01-05-2013 04:41:54 | More by RoninTK3
Quanz_Kitty

Here I thought Hillfarmstead was a winner! This beer is by far the best kind of brew prolly in the world! If you have not tried Heady Topper, you are nuts. OMG. It made me a believer of hops and the magic is provides when it comes to sleep. Heady Topper is drinkable. I'm telling you right now, it doesn't taste like 8%. So, if you are a fast drinker, a 4 pack should do ya!

01-07-2013 12:15:23 | More by Quanz_Kitty
JaredYanofsky

I snatch one of the four silver cylinders attached together by a molded plastic frame, a classy version of un animal friendly can holder that's been villified accross beaches nationwide. I put my index finger squarely on the tab, and lift it up. I reach the can up to my lips, I've entered Hop Heaven.

01-09-2013 01:56:20 | More by JaredYanofsky
soyuz

All around best IPA ever. Might be due to how fresh it was, I picked up a case and it was gone within 2 weeks.

01-09-2013 16:22:49 | More by soyuz
JMScowcroft

Vermont

Heady Topper - 1 Pint - Can

First off it took me three weeks to get my hands on some even though I live in the area. Exciting to see such high demand for local product! This brew gets better every time you have it! (Editing this review again because it REALLY does get better every time you have it!)

Look - Hazy golden unfiltered (also unpasteurized) with an average amount of carbonation. Full, frothy head. I only poured an ounce or so for evaluation purposes, I enjoyed the rest right from the can. I have found through several reviews that I actually prefer pouring this into my Dogfish Head IPA glass, I love getting the aroma while drinking and seeing this beast in all its glory.

Smell - Hopsimus maximus with earthy, floral (piney) overtones. Quite unique smelling compared to other, similar brews. Almost has a spice tang to it. Again using my DFH glass I am able to get much more out of the aroma than from the can.

Taste - Wave after wave of hoppy goodness is how they word it and that is EXACTLY how it is. There is a resonation but it is pleasing compared to other hoppy beers that sit on top of your tongue. Smooth.

Mouthfeel - Surprisingly drinkable but one needs to be careful primarily due to alcohol content but also so as to not over-abuse the palette. This brew has a way of masking the 8% but at the same time hitting you like none other, it must be super concentrated hop juice!

Overall - This is one of the best brews I have ever had. I am proud of Vermont microbrews and this just makes me even prouder. Time and time again I go back to this brew and it just seems to get better and better.

01-10-2013 01:30:56 | More by JMScowcroft
Lakemonster

Oregon

Best way to drink a Heady Topper, pick it up from the Alchemist Brewery on your way to Stowe for an epic day of skiing. Crack that delicious beer on the lift and enjoy, of course remembering to recycle. Ohhhh how I love Vermont. If only Hill Farmstead was on the way to Stowe.

01-11-2013 21:43:06 | More by Lakemonster
Drumomatic

Keeping it simple, this is a fantastic beer worthy of the praise it gets. Great job Alchemist on brewing a single beer perfectly. Please don't change that focus. You can't miss with a singular objective like that!

Smell, taste, and appearance sum up to be a beautiful thing! I made it up to Waterbury at the brewery where I picked up some stock and had an excellent experience. Stopped by the Prohibition Pig afterwards for a full serving and lunch, which was epic.

01-12-2013 17:17:46 | More by Drumomatic
crager013

Best. Beer. Ever. Well maybe but its incredible. The hops smell from the can is overwhelming. It must be drunk from the can. For all the hops smell the bitterness is smooth and just right. Drink this if you can find it. And if you find it buy me a few extra cases, I will pay ya back!

01-13-2013 23:28:05 | More by crager013
jknutsen09

One of the best beers I've ever tasted. The balance and aroma is top notch. The can is inviting to just grad and take one big long sip. The taste is smooth and full of hoppy goodness. The smell once can is cracked just invites you to drink its deliciousness. My vote for beer of the year!!!

01-22-2013 04:02:20 | More by jknutsen09
HopLuva

As soon as I opened the can,the fresh aroma of tropical fruits hit me in the nose. The best hop beer ive ever had. Its well balanced aroma is amazing.Just the right amount. The 8.0 abv is perfect too...If you havent tried this beer,seek it out. Its well worth it

01-26-2013 16:12:16 | More by HopLuva
themind

Well being an advocate for Pliny The Elder as the best beer on the planet I was reserved about the hype behind this brew. I do not really know what to say or explain the comparison. Heady Topper is a magnificent massive hop bomb that is amazingly balanced. This brew is World Class and lives up to the hype. I will now travel to Vermont to get more!!! I could drink these one after another enjoying every sip....really just an amazing beer! The bottom line is this is a World Class, top notch, killer IPA that leaves you wanting more.

I drank it from the can as instructed and WOW! just crazy good! The alcohol is so well hidden that Waldo couldn't find it.

Bottom Line: Sell your home, sell you car and hitch hike to Vermont to attain this beer!

01-28-2013 00:27:28 | More by themind
nedvalton

Alabama

Drank 1-31-13
Free the hops snifter

A- golden light amber. Hazy but massive dry hopping causes haze. Small head

S- wonderful hop burst. Definitely pickup american hops citrussy resinous but balanced by earthy maybe piney background

T-awesome. Hop heavy but not overly bitter as many others are. Malt backbine to support hops but not overpower them.

M-good carbonation not excessive but enough to be effervescent and release the hops.

O-wonderful beer. Top iipa i have tried. Unfiltered is the only way to do iipa's. Will love to get my hands n more.

02-01-2013 02:16:02 | More by nedvalton
dar482

I had this recently out of two cans, unfortunately one was absolutely flat with no carbonation. The beer in general has a lovely little bubbled good amount of carbonation. It is actually one of the highlights of this mindblowing beer.

Poured part of it into a glass as it comes in a super hazy unfiltered orange/gold, maybe a grapefruit reddish too. It's super hazy.

The aroma has a huge brilliant aroma. The best I've smelled from a beer. Pineapple, tropical fruits, mango, grapefruit papaya, almost like a fruit juice, but also this sticky candy sweetness and pine and resinous aroma. Apricot really does stand out from the Conan yeast. It's gooey, huge sweetness. It's so darn juicy, no Double IPA has pushed towards how good the aroma is in this. There also an almost vegetable aroma. Chivey, leafy green, spicy pepper. It's very "fresh."

For some reason, out of the can, the aroma is so much more piney. I guess it's the residue left in the can, but it's almost like air freshener.

Your initial hit on your tongue is just a bouquet of fruits and freshness. It's just shocking how much hop and fruity flavors this IPA packs. You get smooth grapefruit, peach, pine bitterness.

It is so smooth after that hit, but then after that, there's a bitter aftertaste that stays in your mouth. It has just huge strong bitterness that is very dry and astringent. It's of grapefruit pith with that deep bitterness. But it's interesting that the beer itself isn't bitter, it just grabs onto your tongue as the beer finishes. It's a late hit.

The mouthfeel is where this beer stands out. It's almost like an IPA was mixed with unfiltered fruit juice. There is a round mouthfeel that never cuts thin like other Double IPAs.

It is the best IPA/double IPA I've ever had. What stands out is the perfection of hop bomb/drinkability that this beer has. It pushes towards what a hop head wants, but just completes it with this perfect mouthfeel. No Double IPAs will be able to complete with this complete roundness of mouthfeel and flavor, at least so far. It just gives you more wow-ness and complexity that you cannot match it.

(I'm literally having Double Trouble right now, which is a world class beer, and I'm just sitting here disappointed and picking apart how good Heady Topper is compared to it.)

Re-review: Testing this beer 8 weeks old, as Kimmich says the beer holds up as long as it's fridged. Beer changes to a bit more orange than straw yellow. Tastes exactly the same.
Testing it between can and glass, I prefer the glass. The glass lets the carbonation roll around your tongue to outer mouth, which gives it more fruit flavor and creamy mouthfeel.

07-16-2013 14:11:17 | More by dar482
devilheels

Connecticut

There are several things that make me proud to be from Vermont. This is one of them. This is a hoppy beer, but not one that makes you choke. John Kimmich, the brewer, has somehow taken an extremely hoppy beer and made it so palatable that even people who don't typically like IPA's can enjoy it. I miss the Alchemist of old (Wild Child, Holy Cow, Ouroboros, etc) and hope that Kimmich decides to can those in the future. You can't go wrong with the Alchemist.

02-08-2013 22:44:51 | More by devilheels
gtermi

A: The beer pours a hazy golden body with a thin white head that quickly fades. It also las some random floaties.

S: Tons of spice and citrus hops with a nice bit of sweet malt.

T: The flavor of this beer is pretty amazing. At first it hits with a sweet fruity hop, but then quickly turns into a bittery spicy flavor. It has to be the most complex tasting DIPA I have ever had in my life.

M: There is a decent amount of crispness on the tip of the tongue and the back of the throat. It goes down rather easy and leaves a dry feeling in my mouth.

O: This is a pretty awesome beer and I am so happy to finally get to try this. I would for sure say that this is one of best DIPAs in the world.

02-12-2013 05:55:44 | More by gtermi
VinoGuy

Maryland

Drink it from the can...yup, follow the directions printed on the top of the can. The hops are incredible, spicy and super floral. There is plenty of malt to back up the massive amount of hops and it keeps the beer in balance. No question, this certainly ranks up there on the list of greatest beers ever enjoyed. If you are ever in the area of Northern VT and have a chance to pick some up, don't think, just buy it!

02-14-2013 23:51:21 | More by VinoGuy
80x2HopHead

Vermont

Easily in my top 5 Imperial IPA's out there- wonderful aroma every time I pop the can piney and fruity in nature. Taste matches the smell- piney undertones and strong citrus overtones- I generally pick up on grapefruit, pineapple, orange and tangerine.Just the right amount of malty goodness makes this heady retardedly drinkable. If you can get your hands on this brew do so without a second guess- no chance you will ever regret it!

02-20-2013 05:30:18 | More by 80x2HopHead
rdilauro

Connecticut

Ok, I have been waiting to taste this one for a long time now. One of customers, who has in in depth knowledge of all sorts of beers, brought one 4 pack in for me to try. He was heading up to Vermont, so he was going to buy some more.

Once I opened the can, the room came alive with citrus, grapefruit, banana and so many other perfect hoppy aromas. It was grassy and so alive. It was at a point that I was more than satisfied with the bouquet, I need not take it any further.

The first sip (from a glass) was fullness in my mouth of hops, cream, grapefruit and lots of smooth body. The after taste was just as pleasant.

From that point on, I drank it from the can. I was really surprised at just how smooth it was considering the IBU count (120)

I so enjoyed this beer, but now, I will have to wait until a second tasting of it (which should be tomorrow) Was it the best beer I've tasted? Did it have everything a hoppy IPA should have?
I dont know, but I will re- review this one tomorrow.

For now, I am 100% satisfied, that I was able to taste a legend (Dino, Thanks!)

05/26/13:
Got to re-taste a fairly fresh one....If there was a 6 rating, this would be the beer I would give it to.

08/06/13
This one was less than a week from brewing! Fantastic, even better than the ones I have had before. I guess the best way to describe this is that it is liquid GOLD

08-07-2013 14:57:23 | More by rdilauro
Ri0

Wisconsin

poured 16oz can into Duvel tulip.

A - Golden orange and very hazy with a big 3 finger white head that went to the very top and peaked over my tulip. Great retention and loads of foamy lacing cling to teh glass. Who says this doesn't look perfect!?

S - So you like big juicy hops? Piney and bitter citrus hops are the show of this beer. I get some tropical and light sweetness. The smell is incredible.

T - Yum, yum, yum! Waves and waves of hops coat my palate. Pine hops, bitter citrus hops, and even slight notes of tropical hops. A subtle sweetness peeks in every now and then, but the hops push it back. This is a dream to drink.

M - Full bodied and sticky with awesome carbonation. It is insane how easy this is to drink!

O - It is fantastic and worth seeking out IMO. I'll score it as a perfect, because I enjoy it so much.

03-14-2013 17:10:25 | More by Ri0
Andrew041180

A - Instructed to drink from the can - have never viewed the beer. Appearance of can has cool illustration of man with hair on hop fire.

S - Wonderful fresh hoppy notes.

T - I would like to use some of the descriptors that I've been seeing in other reviews, but this doesn't really taste like any of the pine/citrus/dank/floral combination that I've seen before. It's unique among the IPAs that I've tasted thus far.

M - Again unique among what I have had so far. Even a small sip seems to fill my mouth with waves of goodness.

O - I've now had 11 of these and each time I am able to justify a perfect rating to myself. Can't wait for my next trip to Vermont.

03-16-2013 11:15:33 | More by Andrew041180
BrewsterPunky

Connecticut

Happy to say I'm no longer a Heady Topper virgin. I live in CT and a friend made the trip to VT recently and grabbed ONE can for me. Best IPA I've ever had. It set the bar impossibly high for any other IPA out there. The freshest and most incredible hops in this brew. Amazing stuff.

03-23-2013 01:59:52 | More by BrewsterPunky