Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Ratings: 10,766 | Reviews: 2,149
3.48/5  rDev -26.4%

Pours a two-finger slightly-yellowed clingy head over a cloudy and particulated puke-tan liquid. Smells of green onion and wild garlic (Summit hops) with pine and sharp grapefruit pith. Baby aspirin and lemony tropical fruits. Comes across as a blast of very fresh Summit hops.

Tastes sharp bitter with flat oily bitter to complement. Nice malt sweet that blends with the green onion flavor. Juicy hops. Tin, no esters, but nice barley grain flavor. Acidic sour from the hops almost comes across as lactic. Finishes with baby aspirin (Simcoe hops) and a very resiny pine aftertaste. Very grassy rich in cohumulone. Too strong of carbonation. Carb and clean alcohol sting lift the beer from the tongue early. Creamy body is interrupted by rough hops and clean alcohol sting.

A decent beer, but would be *much* better with different hops. I find Summit hops sickening and can't wait for the trend to pass on by. Big disappointment. Judged to style, so scored higher than my palette would offer. The can says "drink from the can!" It was not as good from a can as from a glass.

4.55/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Drank from the can, very nice artwork!

S: Sticky resin. not a hop bomb but layers and layers of sticky hops. lots of grass and citrus.

T:Bursting with citrus, citrus and bitterness stick around the whole way through.

M: Great body for an 8% abv beer. well carbonated and highly drinkable..

O: A great DIPA. I can see where all the hype comes from, definitely an easy drinking, tasty beer.

4.97/5  rDev +5.1%

A- poured only half into a glass to experience different flavors from can and glass. golden/orange in color very cloudy, unfiltered. Thick Fluffy white head.
S- A blast of citrus hops, a lot of grapefruit, resin/piney hop notes coming from the can.
T- more of the same from the nose citrus/tropical fruits like orange, pineapple, mango, lemons, and resinous hops.
M- medium body and carbonation. This is very juicy upfront then a slight dryness on the finish. Hops linger on the palate.
O- This beer is close to perfect, tons of flavor that hides the alcohol and it is super drinkable for a DIPA. I prefer it straight from the can.

4.28/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Drove through Waterbury and stopped in. Monday at Noon there was a line out the door to get cases. Tried the beer first while in line. It was good, but nowhere near as dramatic as I was hoping for (Lawson's Double Sunshine has ruined me). Wife gave the green light for 2 cases, but after tasting opted for 1. Opened the first one later in the evening when home. This is the review.

A- Very light for an IPA. Very little if any crystal in this beer. Cloudy.

S- The overall smell can best be described as this--take a bag of Trolli Peachi-o's Candy, hold the bag about 4 inches from your nose and sniff. Its peachy, but not like natural peaches (I grew up in a family of peach farmers). Its almost like a candied peach (thanks in part to the Conan yeast) with maybe a touch of a green herbal quality (which is very faint). Perhaps a little citrus coming through? Peach is dominant note with a little bit of other subtle smells mixed in.

T- And the peachiness continues. Peachi-o candy, natural peach pit, some pineapple juice laced with a little bit of bitter orange marmalade. Alcohol is not really pronounced. Bitterness was pretty balanced for an IPA (if this is possible) and grassy notes are restrained. Flavor was good and unique.

M- Its crisp, and light for an IPA. I rather like it. Not syrupy or viscous.

O- I like it. Is it the greatest IPA ever? Maybe its the hype, but I don't think so. Its a great beer and worthy of an A/A+ rating, but I still think beers like Double Sunshine, Maharaja, and Pliny are more memorable. I will enjoy and share this case with friends.

4.75/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have one person to thank for this mrKennedy what a brilliant unexpected bday present you are the man and I know they say drink out the can but this definitely deserves a glass and pours a cloudy pineapple juice hue with a fluffy cloud like three finger head and lacing everywhere looks so inviting,the smell is pineapples,piney hops,tangerines,grapefruit and a tonne of Valencia oranges,the mouthfeel is perfectly carbonated and medium bodied with tastes of pineapples,mangoes,grapefruit,tangerines and finished with a soft citrus bittersweetness and overall what a sublime AIPA it's right up there with the best I've tried and just wish this and the rest of their range was available here cheers.

4.96/5  rDev +4.9%

I am a stout lover at heart. I have never taken to the hop head beers out there... well that was until I got my first taste of Heady Topper. It is absolutely deserving of the number one beer on beeradvocate.

Hazy yellow appearance when poured into glass.. of course they tell you right on the can to drink it out of the can but I wanted to see the beer.

Smell is GLORIOUS!! Pine, grapefruit, citrus... Just gorgeous. I could smell it all day.

Drinks so smoothly considering the high IBUs. Has a great malt backbone that offsets the hop punch. The hops never seem to overwhelm your palate. They push your senses just to the edge and then back off due to the malt.

I love this beer. I am making a pilgrimage to Vermont later in the summer and I hope I luck into a couple cases. It is truly one of the best brews I have ever had.

4.05/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Pours a hazy orange with a finger of beige head that fades into a thin layer with a little lacing.

S: Grapefruit, citrus rind, and pine dominate with dank weed notes also present. There are grassy and herbal aromas underneath it all.

T: Similar to the aroma, grapefruit and pine dominate with earthy citrus rind and dank weed flavors underneath. The finish is moderately bitter with grassy characters and caramel malts.

M: Medium body with carbonation on the lower side of moderate, this beer is slightly oily feeling but avoids being watery.

O: A pretty good DIPA overall. Lots of earthy hop characters without being overly bitter. I wish the aroma were a bit more pungent, but what's there is nice.

4.97/5  rDev +5.1%

Okay, so this is my second Heady experience. My first one was during a bottle share with a good friend of mine, and what followed felt magical. I couldn’t believe the flavors I was tasting, and feeling, and comprehending.

Now, 8 months or so later, I got my hands on a second can (thanks to the same friend), and just cracked it this morning. I finally ventured to pour a small amount into a glass (completely against the very big and bold instructions on the can to “DRINK FROM THE CAN”) But, I just had to see what it looked, felt, and tasted like out of a snifter. I was a little disappointed to say the least. I’m glad that it tells you over and over on the can to drink from it, because it was really pale in color, with a light IPA flavor to it. NOTHING like the powerhouse I had remembered… Thankfully I had just poured 2-3 ounces.

So, now that I was following instructions and drinking from the can, my second taste of this amazing elixir was just as memorable as the first. It is an incredibly resin-y beer with just absolutely incredible hop flavor. The resins coat your tongue BUT beg for more at the same time. The flavors dance on your palate for just long enough that you need more. This beer, at 8% is crushable, but also begs to be sipped, savored, and enjoyed. They tell you to drink it fresh because they’re always making more… but an 8 hour drive isn’t in the cards all the time.

The Alchemist, you brilliant, brilliant brewers. You sell over 90% of your product from your own brewery…. And I know that you know you’ve made one of America’s best beers. And I know that you are proud of it… and you should be. This gem is to be savored, enjoyed and drank straight from the can. Do it, don’t even consider pouring this into a glass… just drink it from the can. Lick your lips, say “ahhh” and beg your friends to get in their cars and go buy more.

4.74/5  rDev +0.2%

Canned just over a week ago. For this review I poured it into a snifter, I just need the aroma and carbonation release.

Appearance: An ugly looking beer. An orange/yellow color sits with the murkiest body of an IPA I've ever seen. The unique appearance of this beer has some charm and mystery to it. A solid finger of lacing on the pour with an average amount of lacing randomly left on the sides of the glass.

Smell: Once I popped the can open, the hops explored out. Sitting in the glass, an extremely potent combination of straw and tropical fruits. The grass and pine notes provide a biting bitterness while the fruity accents lighten up the aroma. The bitter tones no doubt dominate but there is plenty else going on here.

Taste: The sweet tropical fruit lacing hit the palate right away. The grass and straw tones burst through on the front as well and provide delicious bitter front. The bitterness is beautifully matched with bright hop tones and a balanced malt backbone. I really think the malt is key here. Allows the hops to have a bright presence yet keeps them grounded and balanced. The finish is some sticky hops and sweet malt. Not sure if there is anything I would dream of changing about this part of the beer, simply wonderful.

Mouthfeel: Balanced in every way it should be. Not much else I can say, this is what an DIPA should feel like.

Overall: This beer is so much more then just another hop bomb that you continually see today. A beer with truly complex character, balance, and hop presence. I got a case of this from a friend and thought about trading some, but I think I'll just be selfish and keep them all. An all-timer in my book, no doubt lives up to every bit of the hype.

4.96/5  rDev +4.9%

Popped the top on the can and was blown away by huge citrus and pine. The smell alone is worth the price of admission.

Took a sip from the can and found it to be a little malty with big citrus flavors. I immediately have to take another sip. It is very well balanced and drinkable.

After a few more sips I poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint to get a look at this amazing beer. It's a pale yellow with a creamy head and is very cloudy with hoppy goodness.

Overall, I am blown away by this beer. I actually had a friend from work bring me back a case from Vermont for my 4th of July party. Now I have to look at 23 of these sitting in my fridge for the next few days.

Maybe we can get by on 18?

4.44/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Was very excited to try this beer and wanted to see if it could live up to the hype. Obeyed what the can said and drank this out of the can, but poured a little out to see the color. It was a golden color with a little cloudiness.

Smells of pine, citrus and tropical fruits with a huge wave of hops. It smelled completely different than anything I have had before. The taste followed the smell as it was a complex combination of sweet, sour, bitter hops. That's as detailed as I can get because I can't really explain what it was. From sip to swallow the flavor was constantly changing.

Overall I don't know if this would be the best tasting beer in the world for me, but it was definitely the most complex and interesting tasting beer I've ever had.

4.57/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

First off thanks to my cousin Michael for shipping me a case of incredible North Eastern beers that incorporated a 4-pack of Heady Topper. He is dripping with beer karma indeed.

Appearance: very light straw color with significant haze and chunk; looks a lot like the consistency of cigar city's jai alai with regards to it's floaty fish-food. Significant, firm, head.

Nose: Unique; hops-forward but very earthy, intense hops, pine and pitch/asphalt; biscuit/grainy right behind the hops

Taste: Pine resin, chewy hops, round rotund mouthfeel, up front bitterness smoothed out by a perfectly balance malt backbone; highly quaffable still; incredibly balanced, hops lingers on the tongue in equal amounts with grainy and clean malt flavor

Overall: impressive. hyped to the point of disbelief and still surprised me a little with it's uniqueness. I don't know if this is the "best beer on earth" but it is certainly unique and wonderful in it's own way.

World class ipa not just for the hopheads but in general. Even if you do not like ipas you have to give this a try. It's like biting into a hoppy pineapple without a hint of its true abv. Simply amazing. Follow directions and do not pour in a glass...

4.26/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

16 oz. can pours a cloudy, deep, golden color. About an inch of white head falls quickly to a dusting. (4.0)

Mega hop aroma.... YUMMY! Mainly tropical fruits, with some herbal & tea notes. It is really inviting, it begs me to dive in. (5)

Its flavor is hop forward, but not overly so. Nice balance between sweet, ripe tropical fruits, and its herbal bitterness. (4.25)

Could maybe use a bit more carbonation. Its heavy body, and minimal carbonation are like a hop-syrup. (4.0)

Great aroma, and taste, but falls short in feel. Almost weird: one mouthful has a sweet finish, the next bitter. (4.0)

Its either an IPA or DIPA, not sure which one. Reveal is HEADY TOPPER... WoW I remember this being an almost perfect beer in the past. Wonder if its me that changed?

4.32/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Finally. Pours a hazy light orange. Crazy hoppy smell, citrusy. Taste is really nice. Hoppy, but light for the style. Citrusy. Mouthfeel is really nice n creamy. Overall, over rated. Very solid DIPA, top 5 for sure, but over rated. Num 1 in the world, I think not. Not as hoppy as most from 3 floyds. Seek out 3 floyds before you seek this out.

4.19/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

How do you approach what some say is the best beer on the planet?

Drink from the can? I did. But not all of it. I poured about the middle third into a tulip glass.

I smelled like from the can, since the can insists you enjoy from the can. I just wanted to smell more. Nothing too explosive. I wanted a bit more, but it is probably because I am smelling from a can. Perfect tasting east coast IPA. There are nice citrus and pine notes along with a little caramel creamy-ness. The hops are pleasant and not overwhelming.

4.68/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Can. Poured some into a glass to see beer itself. Hazy orange color with a lot of hop particles.
Smell from the can is mango, pineapple, pine trees and citrus zest. Quite outstanding.
Taste is really very nice, first you are hit with a pleasant sweetness and flavors of bitter citrus, juicy hops and pineapple. Finishes with a smooth bitter kick. Very creamy and nice mouthfeel. Overall a very nice IPA. Well balanced and a pleasure to drink.

4.75/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Got two cans from MPLSbrewer. Decided to pour one for the review.

A= Pours a beautiful golden yellow color with a nice two fingers of head that holds some steady retention and lacing.

S= The smell is amazing. Tons and tons of hops. It smells like hop candy to be honest. Waves of flavor and amazingness comes over my nose. Resinous and fruity. I've honestly never smelled an IPA quite like this one before.

T= The taste is similar to the nose. The can says that it's not ment to be the most over the top IPA in the world and it definitely isn't. It's a beautiful mix of sweet and bitter. He hops come through with a pineapple like sweetness and just enough bitterness. I really can't explain the taste besides awesome.

M= Smooth and creamy. They didn't over hop it at all.

O= I wasn't expecting much from this beer to be honest. I figured it would be just another super hoppy IPA. This is a unique beer however. It transcends most IPAs in the way that the hops are so flavorful and fruity. This beer is better than I expected somehow. I can't explain it really. Worth seeking out and trying over and over.

4.69/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

We visited The Alchemist's cannery today, and the pair we are cracking for this review were canned today. We will obey the demands from the can and drink straight from the vessel, but we first decant off an ounce or so to assess its appearance. The brew shows a hazy straw coloring, putting up a quick one finger head of lemon meringue colored foam, showing variability of bubble size, and nice retention. Lacing is tight and ridged, snaking the circumference of the glass. Haze is thick, but no outright sediment is noted. Carbonation appears to be moderate. The aroma is pungent, even from the hole in the can, giving fresh pineapple, white grape, apricot tang, fresh earthiness of clayed dirt, raw honey, clover flower, wet moss, cucumber skins, soft plastic bite, and distant farmhouse muskiness. These blend atop a solid base of crisp pale malts and raw barley, powdered sugar, and hop varietals of sticky nectars, citrics, and herbal depth. With warmth the booze comes out as well, but it is sweeter rather than burning and fusel. Our first impression is that the hops are explosive, fresh, and tangy, with drinkability for years, and an insanely cleansing and balanced finishing that leaves your mouth dripping wet with salivation for that next sip. As we taste, the flavor opens with raw honey sweetness, white sugars, sweet pear, pineapple, tangerine, and golden delicious fruitiness, brightly citric and bitterly herbal hops, flashes of lemon juiciness, faint brandy booziness, and pale, lightly toasted and powdered malts. The middle comes to a peak with dill weed, vegetal pepper metallics, biting plastics, and continued pear and blueberry fruitiness, along with the sweetest, most nectary hops of the sip. Tannic lemon teas and those crisp pales also rides high across the palate, pulling us into a finish with a hop profile most similar to the beginning of the sip, when held in the mouth. Here you get that fresh earthy and herbal hop bite, with black pepper and continued dill herbals, dripping pine sap, clove honey, honeysuckle florals, green twig, lemon rind tang, bready pales, faint rye crustiness, coiny metallic yeast, and light parsnip vegetals. The aftertaste breathes of crisp bready toastiness, clean pale malt sweetness, light rye twang, graphite, chalked yeastiness, aromatic mossy and musky rumbles, toasted pistachio nuts, bitter herbal hoppiness, and those sticky sweet nectary and lightly resiny hops. The body is medium, and carbonation is high, but not offensive or overly prickled. Each sip gives soft and syrupy slurp, smack, cream, froth, and pop. The mouth is left foamy, coated, and dripping wet with salivation. There is mild puck from the hoppiness of it all, added to by alcohol, especially as the beer warms. The abv is appropriate, hardly noticed, and nicely contributory, and the beer drinks like water.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this beer was its flavoring. The balance that is struck between the hops alone is incredible and beautiful, with sticky sweet fruity nectars and citrus battling, blending, and then giving way to a stronger herbal component through the finish shows variability throughout the sip, punch at each stop, and precise progression along the palate. The fact that it took us over an hour to rate this guy, and across several cans no less, speaks to both its complexity and depth, as well as to its utterly simple and remarkable ease of drinkability. The mouthfeel is smooth, frothy, sticky to the lips, and coating, striking just the right combination to keep your mouth and buds wanting more, more, and more. While every aspect of this masterpiece shines, it is the taste that stays with you the most, and will, at least for the next few nights to come, keep us up at night thinking about it.

4.62/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Brought eight cans back from a trip to the cannery in March of 2013.

Pale yellow, slightly cloudy appearance.

Great hoppy aroma - hard to beat. Lots of citrus and pine on the nose.

The flavor is just as good. Nice clean, slightly sweet flavor. Big hop flavor, but not overly bitter and very little aftertaste.

On par with Pliny, but different flavors- sweeter, more citrus in the hop profile. In a side by side tasting, they both stood up well, although Pliny won out on appearance.

Great beer! I'm sad my stockpile is gone.

(note: I also had it on draft ate the cannery and saw no noticeable difference in quality.)

4.18/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Bought a case of this from The Alchemist on Memorial Day, have been making my way through it over the past month. Sat down to do a couple proper reviews of it in the last week or so, so these notes are on cans that have ~3.5 weeks on them.

Appearance: Poured into a snifter (note: I drank most of my case from the can, but I wanted to actually see it at least once). Poured a murky, impenetrable orange-yellow with a sudsy finger and half head.

Aroma: From the can or in a glass, this beer has just an incredible smell. Tons of hops, piney, resiny, dank, a little floral, some citrus. Citrusy notes seemed more prominent when it was fresher.

Taste: Some malt up front, but I don't think I could say much about it, because immediately afterward the hops showed up in force. Serious bitterness with some spiciness gave way to a more balanced finish. Noticeable changes in flavor from malts to hops to finish for me. No traces of alcohol that I can detect.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, medium bodied, tending towards chewy but staying quite drinkable. I liked how this beer felt.

Overall: It was interesting to drink this beer as it got older. The first can I drank, on the day it was canned, was pretty incredible. The last can I drank, just under four weeks old, was a very good, solid beer. Insanely tasty and drinkable, lived up to the hype for me. Glad I was able to try it.

4.66/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to JOSHMAN for this one (and three others)!

As best I can tell from the information I have, this was canned on June 3rd, 3 weeks ago.

First review of Heady Topper on a "Drink from the can!" experience:

Poured from a can into my mouth.

A: Silver, black. Picture a guy drinking beer from a glass, but his head is exploding with hops. That's about what this looks like. Clean and shiny. Not really sure how I can even grade this. I'm resigned to just giving it whatever my "overall" is.

S: Sweet, sweet hops. Earthy and citric aromas come strong out of the can immediately upon opening. A little spiciness lingers, almost like the faintest hint of a cologne, but in a good way. Strong citrus aromas of pineapple dominate. I could sniff this beer all day, but I've resigned to drinking it.

T/M: Follows the nose pretty closely. A little more carbonation up-front than through the rest of the sip is delivered... maybe the can, maybe just my perception. Lots of sweet citrus on the body, with a little dank earthiness following. A lingering bitterness follows along with a little more earthy flavor and feel. The bitterness in this emerges almost after all other flavors have begun to die off but doesn't dominate the flavor profile while sipping. Body has nice, sweet malt character that doesn't dominate the beer, but does provide a sweetness to this that is very nice with all of the citrus. Alcohol doesn't show up much at all in the taste. The mouthfeel overall is just about perfect for the style in terms for gravity, but the lingering finish feels just slightly off, like I'm trying to get something out of my mouth rather than keep it there. Still very pleasant. Really drinkable.

O: Really happy with this beer. I will need to try it side by side with Pliny to really sort out the nuances of each, but each is great in its own right. I'm finding myself drinking this dangerously quickly -- I am pretty glad I don't have enough of these to just enjoy at will and open in series, or I could end up very drunk very quickly. I was worried that this beer would be a little too dank for me, but that really hasn't been the case at all. I don't suspect that the beer has "lost" this since canning, so I think perhaps I just had unfounded worries. Great beer.

4.5/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.75

Big thanks to Dee at Bobby's Liquor for this one!

I did venture to pour out some precious liquid for a look and what followed appeared very similar to a Saison. Straw in color, murky an opaque, with a decent amount if head that, surprisingly, did not lace well. No floaties, either. No wonder they say to drink from the can! Aroma is super piny with a lot of passion fruit: mango and pineapple mostly. It's prickly. Even some spice, like allspice but much more mild. Flavor starts off spicy: similar to cinnamon or allspice. I get bitterness from the start, but its mild and inviting. It's also somewhat malty: some biscuit and white bread crust. The bitterness gets more intense and the pine and resin shine through. It's not super bitter. The feel is more watery than viscous. The carbonation is low for the style, but the hoppiness jumps out just like a higher carbonated beer.

This was a wild ride, but at the end of the day I have to jump through so many hoops that I'd rather just get a Pliny every other week.

4.85/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

a) silver and black can with a neat logo :) its hard to judge this since the can so explicitly says to drink it from the can...not sure what a proper # rating would be since you can't actually see the beer.

s) smells like lots of hops, very tasty hops. i also pick up some resinous pine needles mixed with quite a bit of citrus, floral and fruit. smells awesome.

t) gotta say it has lived up to the hype. it is surprisingly citrusy in flavor, with plenty of pine and hops and hints of fruit.

m) it makes me pucker a little bit but not in a super bitter kinda way. it has just the right about of hops and it is so smoothly blended with all the other subtle nuances. feels light in the mouth with good carbonation.

o) fantastic beer. i had been sitting on this beer for 3 nights before i tried it and the anticipation was a bit ridiculous (i mean its just beer) and it totally delivered.

4.93/5  rDev +4.2%

I recently had a chance to taste the legendary Heady Topper, and it was truly a ground breaking experience for me. This is the essence of what most IPA's strive to be, but come up a bit short. The aroma is floral and fruity in all the right ways, the head is moderate when poured, and the appearance is a thick, luscious, golden color with it's unfiltered qualities lending to it's bold appearance.

The taste...oh the taste. This is an experience to be had. The taste is magnificently hoppy, but unlike many hoppy beers, it is not bitter, does not have a puckery sensation, and has an incredibly smooth, subtle aftertaste. At 8%, you'd believe that this was a tasting beer with the mounds of hops present, but this could easily turn into a session beer (if you're not careful).

This is beer crack. I want more.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist