Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Wants: 5,986
The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA” 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros

Finally got to have one of these last night! To me, this beer is perfect.

A: Took my first sip from the can since the can says I should. I had to see this beauty though, so I poured the rest into a snifter. Poured a very hazy orange color with a nice eggshell white head.

S: The aroma of this beer was unreal. As soon as I opened the can it hit me. Super dank and pungent, piney, and aromas of tropical fruit and citrus.

T: Sticky bitter hop resins up front, but the bitterness isn't overwhelming. That's followed by pine and fruits like pineapple, peach, and grapefruit. The finish had a subtle malt bready sweetness that helps keep the beer smooth.

M: Dry, but not thin. Medium bodied. Sticky hop resins with medium carbonation. Super easy drinking, I could put a few of these away in a hurry. Not boozy at all.

O: To me, this is a perfect DIPA. As it says right on the can, it doesn't strive to be the biggest or most bitter, but it's flavor is amazing. Wish I had regular access to this beer.

Brams17, Sep 03, 2014

MattWatson37, Sep 03, 2014

EdFed, Sep 03, 2014

07Bigben01, Sep 03, 2014

RhinoBrew, Sep 03, 2014

eGodley, Sep 03, 2014

Trotpntbll, Sep 03, 2014

cannabispinoy, Sep 03, 2014

Look, I'm not going to add a whole lot to the conversation here, but I've got to write something - I'm tearing up as I type... I've had this 4 times now. 1st at a party in Somerville, and I was half in the bag already. 2nd time it was warm. 3rd time was a tip from a guy at the bar I work at 2 a.m. And I'm having one now. All have been memorable. It is a remarkable experience.

A: I poured it out into an 10oz glass and it shows a hazy yellow gold. 1" of white foam. I did drink the remainder from the can as instructed. 2nd time I've done that.

S: Woody, earthy pine, then comes a wave of baked peaches and apricots, and finally the much anticipated ruby grapefruit.

T: Sweet bread malt, and the grapefruit bitterness. Lingers to orange juice and honey, balancing the hops. Wonderful.

M: Chewy, yet spirited carbonation. Just a kiss of residuals. Alcohol?

O: This beer makes me smile. Tough to describe, but there's this luscious backbone that screams for all that hops. Every time I taste it I can't get over the sweet homebrew note that counters that Imperial IPA hop blast. It's like a dash of salt on your watermelon, or a couple granules of sugar on a cucumber, it just works. I adore Stone's Ruination (had it on tap for years where I bartended), but this is less refined, more casual, less pretentious, yet bolder - drink it from the can or don't. Just be happy knowing it's out there. A+

NedGreene, Sep 03, 2014

Bddpba, Sep 02, 2014

crkelly, Sep 02, 2014

WarEagle04, Sep 02, 2014

Zach-Zane, Sep 02, 2014

I've had a few of these and hands down it's the best beer out there with outstanding flavors!

davidcoull, Sep 02, 2014

This is a beautiful IPA that holds back on the bitterness that can *sometimes* overpower the delicate flavors in hops. While I love bitter beers that push the IBUs like Stone's 'Ruination,' Heady Topper takes the opposite approach while still maintaining a well-balanced malt character. The waves of hops wash over your palate and after you swallow you're left with that biscuity aftertaste from the lighter malts.

I absolutely love this beer. The Alchemist deserves all of the praise they get.

Rastacola, Sep 02, 2014