Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Vermont, United States

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Reviews: 1,943 | Hads: 10,941

I was hooked at first sip. After lusting after this beer for years I finally got to try it several times recently, thanks to friends, and I have to say it really lived up to the hype. I can't think of a beer I've heard more about and the whole experience still managed to live up. I can understand know how this beer really broke the way for others like it that have come since. Also more good beer like this needs to be put into cans. (435 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours golden orange and hazy and chalky. Smells like fruit with some hops and sweet malts. Taste is like a breath of fresh air. Bitter and crisp, with citrus and dry bready finish. Fantastic malt flavor and so perfectly balanced. I was prepared to be critical of this beer as I figured it had to be over-hyped. It's not. This is certainly the tippity-top-tier of IPAs/Double IPAs. Incredible flavor and drinkability from start to finish. (445 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +7.1%

I've been looking forward to trying this for years now. Living in NJ I can't tell you how many times I've had friends or co workers promise they would bring back some from a trip to VT or " my buddy/cousin/whoever lives up there, I'll get them to bring it down " but all fell through. I finally decided to take a road trip. I planned it well and did the round trip in a day, came back w 2 cases plus some other VT beers. Successful trip I'd say. Anyway, with all the hype and what I had to go through to get some Heady I was finally ready to see for myself. Well - I can see why this beer gets all the talk. This isn't even my favorite style, I'm a BBA Stout guy but I must say this is a fantastic brew. Outrageous flavor that just keeps getting better. No question Heady is deserving of its # 1 status. Long live the king !! (834 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +6.4%

A friend brought me a can from his VT trip. WOW! Nice aroma. Well-balanced. I like the use of malt that allows you to enjoy the hops and not be overrun by them. Heady has now moved into a first place tie with Bell's Hopslam as my ATF. Problem is now I want another one and I'm not planning any trips to VT in the near future! (331 characters)

I was given a can by an extremely generous BA on here, this was my white whale and I have now slayed it and it was worth evry ounce of hype. I took the first sip and it was great, maybe not the best beer I've ever had but it was up there. The more it warmed up it got better with every sip until I could literally think of nothing I would change about the beer, so it earns a 5 from me. A steady supply of this would be dangerous, and IIPA's aren't even my favorite style of beer but this is my favorite beer I have tried yet in my short time diving in to craft beer. Side note, I drank about half from a glass and half from the can, and maybe it's just in my head because they tell you to on the can, but I think I liked straight from the can a little better. (764 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +6%

I'm not going to do the typical L S T F O stuff that is on this site for this beer. I have frequented the site for years and years and this is the beer that made me have to do a review. I was skeptical when I obtained this beer. It can't be worth the hype. It can't be as good as this website says it is. I'm here to write that it is, without a doubt, the most incredible DIPA I have ever had. Not too strong, yet still flavorful. Still aromatic. I drank it form the can so I can't comment on the look but I don't care. This is a beer that is extremely hard for me to obtain in the area I am. I never thought I would get this beer. And now that I have, every IPA I have ever had fails in comparison. It was perfect. (715 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A - The beauty here is in seeing what is coming, but the golden orange body, opaque, and moderate thin white head, are not stunning. The can art is great, and it is not a bad looking beer, but it is not exceptionally good looking.

S - On the other hand, the smell is a full range of fruit notes, from hints of orange and grapefruit, to stone fruit elements, tropicals and mild grain and grass elements underpinning. The depth and fullness stun, and my wife, who hates beer, even agreed that this is a good smelling brew. As full and ranging as this is, it avoids the harsher hop notes common in bold IPAs I've had.

T - Man, oh, man. Delivering a broad, full range of fruit flavors, mango and grapefruit, peaches, couples with deep grains and floral and grassy notes. The depth is extraordinary.

M - For how bruising and bold the hop profile, this could have been a scraper. Many this bold are. But the feel, though full, with a touch of drying in the close, is not abusive. A gentle giant.

O - So this is what the hype is about. A tremendous treat, with bold complex flavors that do not overwhelm the palate. The real trick here is getting all of these elements to sing in harmony, and the brewers earned their name on this one. Worth every bit of credit this beer gets. (1,285 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Don't know how it looks, following the directions and drinking from the can! Smells of hops, pine, grapefruit, kind of muted coming from the can. Taste is as advertised, wave after wave of hops, juicy citrus and some resinous pine but just enough malt to keep it balanced. Moderately carbed and medium body keeps this pretty easy drinking. Overall, good IPA, still not sure it deserves all the hype, a lot of others out there that are just as good. (452 characters)

4.39/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is a great beer. I think the exclusivity feeds the hype a bit. Its hype creates a few more naysayers among the people ive talked to about it. Nonetheless, its at the top of the list for a reason. Great taste, packs a punch, drink it in the can like it says, i do notice a difference. Its got that murky unfiltered look anyway so the glass wont do much for you. I cant tell yet if i like this or Lawsons sip o' sunshine better. But i do know i wish both companies expanded their distribution to other areas than vermont. (527 characters)

Got one can given to me by a customer at my job in buffalo new york, and it was absolute perfection to my taste buds. I would recommend this masterpiece to anyone. My only disappointment is that the brewery is 7 hours from my house, and it's nearly impossible to obtain even a can around here. (293 characters)

Finally got my hands on a couple cans of it and it didn't dissapoint. Poured the last of my can into a pint glass just to get a look at it. One of the few beers that lives up to the hype! A crushable dipa for sure. (214 characters)

4.54/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a a hazed golden yellow with a white head nice retention/lacing,smell was floral and tropical but not overly so,taste fantastic array of citrus,floral,tropical taste with just a kiss of sweet malts -superb,mouth feel was medium carbonation with very little bitterness, supreme 2ipa here easy to drink with a great hop profile ABV well hidden (348 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Heady is my favorite IPA so far, although IPA is not my favorite style. For me, an IPA needs to have something to set it apart, as a lot of hoppy beers taste the same to me. Heady has a really nice pine scent and taste that I have not seen duplicated elsewhere. It really just tastes like Vermont; you can almost imagine that there are pine needles floating in the beer. However, I wouldn't go to the lengths that some people do to get it, especially since there's a VERY limited window where Heady is at its peak freshness. (528 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

G_d bless the alchemist.
Appears as a golden haze with a foamy white head.
Dank hops on the nose upon opening the can.
Taste of sweet malt and dank hops. No funky yeast. Yeah.
Heavy mouthfeel. Overall, bring it baby. (221 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -34.8%

I do not think this is the best in the world at all, unless you like your DIPA very sweet.
Don't see what the hype is all about. I have drank better IPAs for less money!!! (171 characters)

4.59/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Almost all 5's across the board. Bright, juicy hop flavor. If I could get my hands on this one all the time it would be in my fridge for sure. Do I think it deserves the #1 spot? Probably not... But it's for sure up there with some of the best of the style I have had (perhaps top 3 or so). Very tasty beer, well made. (319 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Citrusy and piney. Not quite as malty as some other IPAs that I've had, but probably one of the best IPAs I've ever enjoyed. Would love to taste blind next to Pliny. (165 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Three week old can and poured into a long stemmed tulip glass.

L: A little muddy/dirty with light orange hue; Doesn't have the appearance a super clean beer, but displays a nice frothy white head.

S: Perhaps this beer's best attribute! Tons of hops, as expected. Mango and tropical fruits up front that are balanced well with a underlying pine/grass hop characteristic. As the beer sits, that foresty characteristic starts to stand out a bit more.

T: My initial impression is well balanced, even with hop bitterness punch at the backend. I would say the malt body is light, but hop flavor is definitely the main focal point...as it should be with a beer like this. As far as the flavor, the backbone is tons of grass and pine. A little funny, since the smell painted a slightly different picture.

F: Another outstanding characteristic. I like how light this beer drinks, even though it's 8% ABV. Medium to light body with the carbonation to match it. Finish is dry, but not to the point of were it deters from the overall experience.

O: Tough, I'm going into this beer expecting my mind blown due to it's high rating. I've been around long enough to know that beers are usually overhyped to some extent, but again that shouldn't take away from the beers overall quality. A couple of friends, who have a much better palate than mine, have described this beer's status in somewhat the same manner. If I were to compare this to another behemoth, like PTE, it definitely stands up. Also, I wouldn't necessarily classify this as an east coast DIPA, as others have described. World Class? Perhaps. In my opinion, one of the better DIPA I've had the pleasure of trying. Cheers! (1,676 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Decent beer. I'm on the westcoast and know PtE and HT to hand for hand but after finally trying it'll be trading identical beers. HT has more floral on the nose than PtE's nutty aroma. HT was more Hoppy than PtE IMO but not more harsh on the swallow. Overall I like PtE slightly better (285 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

As soon as I poured it, the aroma was intense. Hops, some tropical notes, some pine. Nice mouthfeel and intense flavor. Happy to say it lived up to my high expectations. (169 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +5.2%

This beer is absolutely delicious, and the smell is unreal. Very difficult to acquire but isn't too expensive if you can find it, and well worth the attempt if you find yourself in the area! (191 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours opaque in its cloudiness. Bright amber with a small head. The smell will punch you in the face will hops. You KNOW it's a good beer when you open the can and the aroma begins to fill the room. The taste is absurdly hoppy. It's literal hop juice. So many levels at once: juicy, bitter, piney, grassy, dank. It's all there. This is a raw and unabated DIPA. A once in a lifetime experience for folks outside of New England. Try it and you will understand its love. Good luck topping the Topper. (497 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

No date of freshness on the can, approximately it was canned two month ago.
Pours yellow-orange and translucent, white sticky head, that retains well.
Smell is unreal. Powerful bouquet of tropical citrus and pine, a lot of grassy hop. Very difficult aroma.
The taste is wonderful citrus and flowery hop, hop bitterness manifested with the first sip. I would add a little sweetness.
Pleasant mouthfeel. Medium body, moderate carbonation, bitterness lingers till the finish, really drinkable.
Overall, this is a great beer, but I’m not sure that is best DIPA in the world. (574 characters)

4.26/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - hazy golden liquid with white head

Smell - tangerine, grapefruit, mango, pine

Taste - much like the nose - orange/tangerine, grapefruit, mango, pine

Mouthfeel - full bodied, higher level of carbonation, hop bitterness hits first and then the citrus sweetness follows that bitterness, flavors linger a good deal, this may be the best aspect of the beer

Overall - very good beer, not sure if it is head and shoulders above more readily available DIPA's, but certainly worth trying for lovers of the style (519 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +6.4%

Had this beer at a restaurant in Stowe, VT on a recommendation from the server. Thought it was one of the best IPA's I had ever tasted. The hop flavor hits you in waves as you drink the beer, very flavorful. (209 characters)

Heady Topper from The Alchemist