Heady Topper - The Alchemist

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Reviews: 1,948 | Hads: 10,951
4.39/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is a great beer. I think the exclusivity feeds the hype a bit. Its hype creates a few more naysayers among the people ive talked to about it. Nonetheless, its at the top of the list for a reason. Great taste, packs a punch, drink it in the can like it says, i do notice a difference. Its got that murky unfiltered look anyway so the glass wont do much for you. I cant tell yet if i like this or Lawsons sip o' sunshine better. But i do know i wish both companies expanded their distribution to other areas than vermont. (527 characters)

Got one can given to me by a customer at my job in buffalo new york, and it was absolute perfection to my taste buds. I would recommend this masterpiece to anyone. My only disappointment is that the brewery is 7 hours from my house, and it's nearly impossible to obtain even a can around here. (293 characters)

Finally got my hands on a couple cans of it and it didn't dissapoint. Poured the last of my can into a pint glass just to get a look at it. One of the few beers that lives up to the hype! A crushable dipa for sure. (214 characters)

4.54/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a a hazed golden yellow with a white head nice retention/lacing,smell was floral and tropical but not overly so,taste fantastic array of citrus,floral,tropical taste with just a kiss of sweet malts -superb,mouth feel was medium carbonation with very little bitterness, supreme 2ipa here easy to drink with a great hop profile ABV well hidden (348 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Heady is my favorite IPA so far, although IPA is not my favorite style. For me, an IPA needs to have something to set it apart, as a lot of hoppy beers taste the same to me. Heady has a really nice pine scent and taste that I have not seen duplicated elsewhere. It really just tastes like Vermont; you can almost imagine that there are pine needles floating in the beer. However, I wouldn't go to the lengths that some people do to get it, especially since there's a VERY limited window where Heady is at its peak freshness. (528 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

G_d bless the alchemist.
Appears as a golden haze with a foamy white head.
Dank hops on the nose upon opening the can.
Taste of sweet malt and dank hops. No funky yeast. Yeah.
Heavy mouthfeel. Overall, bring it baby. (221 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -34.8%

I do not think this is the best in the world at all, unless you like your DIPA very sweet.
Don't see what the hype is all about. I have drank better IPAs for less money!!! (171 characters)

4.59/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Almost all 5's across the board. Bright, juicy hop flavor. If I could get my hands on this one all the time it would be in my fridge for sure. Do I think it deserves the #1 spot? Probably not... But it's for sure up there with some of the best of the style I have had (perhaps top 3 or so). Very tasty beer, well made. (319 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Citrusy and piney. Not quite as malty as some other IPAs that I've had, but probably one of the best IPAs I've ever enjoyed. Would love to taste blind next to Pliny. (165 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Three week old can and poured into a long stemmed tulip glass.

L: A little muddy/dirty with light orange hue; Doesn't have the appearance a super clean beer, but displays a nice frothy white head.

S: Perhaps this beer's best attribute! Tons of hops, as expected. Mango and tropical fruits up front that are balanced well with a underlying pine/grass hop characteristic. As the beer sits, that foresty characteristic starts to stand out a bit more.

T: My initial impression is well balanced, even with hop bitterness punch at the backend. I would say the malt body is light, but hop flavor is definitely the main focal point...as it should be with a beer like this. As far as the flavor, the backbone is tons of grass and pine. A little funny, since the smell painted a slightly different picture.

F: Another outstanding characteristic. I like how light this beer drinks, even though it's 8% ABV. Medium to light body with the carbonation to match it. Finish is dry, but not to the point of were it deters from the overall experience.

O: Tough, I'm going into this beer expecting my mind blown due to it's high rating. I've been around long enough to know that beers are usually overhyped to some extent, but again that shouldn't take away from the beers overall quality. A couple of friends, who have a much better palate than mine, have described this beer's status in somewhat the same manner. If I were to compare this to another behemoth, like PTE, it definitely stands up. Also, I wouldn't necessarily classify this as an east coast DIPA, as others have described. World Class? Perhaps. In my opinion, one of the better DIPA I've had the pleasure of trying. Cheers! (1,676 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Decent beer. I'm on the westcoast and know PtE and HT to hand for hand but after finally trying it'll be trading identical beers. HT has more floral on the nose than PtE's nutty aroma. HT was more Hoppy than PtE IMO but not more harsh on the swallow. Overall I like PtE slightly better (285 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

As soon as I poured it, the aroma was intense. Hops, some tropical notes, some pine. Nice mouthfeel and intense flavor. Happy to say it lived up to my high expectations. (169 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +5.2%

This beer is absolutely delicious, and the smell is unreal. Very difficult to acquire but isn't too expensive if you can find it, and well worth the attempt if you find yourself in the area! (191 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours opaque in its cloudiness. Bright amber with a small head. The smell will punch you in the face will hops. You KNOW it's a good beer when you open the can and the aroma begins to fill the room. The taste is absurdly hoppy. It's literal hop juice. So many levels at once: juicy, bitter, piney, grassy, dank. It's all there. This is a raw and unabated DIPA. A once in a lifetime experience for folks outside of New England. Try it and you will understand its love. Good luck topping the Topper. (497 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

No date of freshness on the can, approximately it was canned two month ago.
Pours yellow-orange and translucent, white sticky head, that retains well.
Smell is unreal. Powerful bouquet of tropical citrus and pine, a lot of grassy hop. Very difficult aroma.
The taste is wonderful citrus and flowery hop, hop bitterness manifested with the first sip. I would add a little sweetness.
Pleasant mouthfeel. Medium body, moderate carbonation, bitterness lingers till the finish, really drinkable.
Overall, this is a great beer, but I’m not sure that is best DIPA in the world. (574 characters)

4.26/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - hazy golden liquid with white head

Smell - tangerine, grapefruit, mango, pine

Taste - much like the nose - orange/tangerine, grapefruit, mango, pine

Mouthfeel - full bodied, higher level of carbonation, hop bitterness hits first and then the citrus sweetness follows that bitterness, flavors linger a good deal, this may be the best aspect of the beer

Overall - very good beer, not sure if it is head and shoulders above more readily available DIPA's, but certainly worth trying for lovers of the style (519 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +6.4%

Had this beer at a restaurant in Stowe, VT on a recommendation from the server. Thought it was one of the best IPA's I had ever tasted. The hop flavor hits you in waves as you drink the beer, very flavorful. (209 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L: Can't get much better than an unfiltered, filthy looking IPA.

S: Hops, pine, slight citrus fruit and more hops. Distinctly different from a west coast IPA.

T: Everything you want from a VT IPA, nothing more nothing less. Paved the way for the rest of VTs finest.

F: Smooth, frothy hops all up in your mouth. Nice thickness to it.

O: Why I even bothered writing a review... no idea. You already know what to expect. (425 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A friend brought back two cans from Vermont a couple weeks ago. Drank some from the can and it wasn't doing it for me. Poured the rest in the glass. Nice hazy amber. Aroma and mouthfeel were nicer from a glass. Very drinkable. Not one of those beers that I say, "Whoa! Now that's good." After drinking, I came to believe that these reviews may be somewhat skewed by the beer's high alcohol content. I liked it better at the end when I was buzzed. (453 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Hands down the best IPA out there. In my opinion, no IPAs come close to this one. I will always seek this one out. Can't wait to get more of this. Awesome. (158 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a hazy golden orange color. The nose contains citrus fruits, pine and some breadiness. The taste is really well balanced and juicy. A really soft bitterness fades quickly on the dry finish. (195 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +4.1%

Had this at a small pub in Stowe last summer on vacation. Didn't go looking for it, just fell in to my lap. Best I ever drank. Incredibly smooth. Rated the look only because its mandatory. This went right from the can to my mouth so I never really got a look at it. (265 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Gold in color, hazy, clingy white head sticks to the glass.

Mango and citrus hops. Pineapple. Very little malt flavor or aroma.

Bitter but not lingering.

Medium mouthfeel.

Excellent mango flavor, nice hop aromas. Very well balanced beer with a lot of complexity. (269 characters)

4.59/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Great beer. There are some other beers out there that I enjoy a little more, but this is definitely worth drinking if you are afforded the opportunity. (151 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +4.7%

Look - Light and inviting, golden yellow with a slight amount of murkiness

Smell - Nothing overwhelming, a mix of citrus, pine, and hops

Taste - Unlike any IPA i've ever had, I don't even know how to describe it. Smooth and delicious.

Feel - Incredibly smooth, which is unfortunate (not really) because as good as this beer is I wish I didn't drink it so quickly.

Overall - Outstanding (390 characters)

Heady Topper from The Alchemist