Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Wants: 6,277
The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros

I truly believe this is and always will be the best beer available. If you love a perfect IPA, this is it. It's a perfect balance of hops, bitterness, and malt. There's a crisp-ness in the mouthfeel that I've never been able to find in any other IPA. All I can do is hope John Kimmich at Alchemist produces more. I work all year to trade and acquire Heady. It's perfect.

4.96/5  rDev +4.9%

4.75/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a sunshine yellow with a very subtle orange/yellow hue. Medium-heavy carbonation and a rich lathery head of foam.

Notes of orange and citrus, abundantly resinous, slightly floral, and some mint or pine.

A bitter sweet wall of citrus, hop resins, pine, and grass.

Light-medium bodied, medium-heavy carbonation, soft, bitter, sweet and a dry earthy minty finish.

Overall, abundantly hoppy, but silky smooth, a damn well crafted brew.

3.68/5  rDev -22.2%

Still remains my favorite beer out there since the time I've had it four years ago. Absolutely no way to be mad at this beer. If you don't like IPA's, I urge someone to take a step outside their box and have a HT. Drink this beer out of the can, very few places will tap this beer. "Don't be a DB." Try it.

Absolutely delicious. Tastes great with anything. Seriously. I now take the 2 hour drive twice a year to stock up.

4.96/5  rDev +4.9%

4.75/5  rDev +0.4%

I get all the hype. It is a delicious beer. Part of the mystique is due to limited distribution though. I get it a few times per season. Best for a crisp winter day during a pond hockey set break.

4.5/5  rDev -4.9%

4.8/5  rDev +1.5%

Happy to try this for a second time - many thanks to a generous colleague.

Must say that I only partially deviated from the instructions on the can and poured a bit of this into a tasting glass to get a look at it. Delightfully unfiltered, hazy, and slightly orange. Looks like a great rustic farmhouse ale. Befitting its Vermont origins, I think.

Ruby-red grapefruit predominates in the nose. A little pine, a little lemon peel, but mostly delightful grapefruit. Smooth and relatively lightly carbonated from the can. Very little indication of the ABV, but the grapefruit continues, balanced by a moderate malty sweetness. It might be my imagination, but the body reminds me of a bier de mars, made with a touch of oatmeal. Finish is dry and hoppy, but not so overwhelmingly dry or bitter that it completely overwhelms.

Is this balanced? No, not really. Is it drinkable? Quite so. Does it live up to the hype? I answer this with a question: could it ever have lived up to the hype? Scarcity breeds demand, demand breeds desire, and desire feeds hype. And what is hype but the unrealized hopes and expectations of a wonderful experience for delighted beer enthusiasts? There is no denying that this a great beer. I prefer to leave it at that.

4.5/5  rDev -4.9%

I hate to be cliche, but this is definitely my new favorite IPA. The flavor was incredible, and the aftertaste is just perfect. This is the perfect beer for me.

4.76/5  rDev +0.6%