Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Reviews: 2,032 | Hads: 11,332
4.19/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

How do you approach what some say is the best beer on the planet?

Drink from the can? I did. But not all of it. I poured about the middle third into a tulip glass.

I smelled like from the can, since the can insists you enjoy from the can. I just wanted to smell more. Nothing too explosive. I wanted a bit more, but it is probably because I am smelling from a can. Perfect tasting east coast IPA. There are nice citrus and pine notes along with a little caramel creamy-ness. The hops are pleasant and not overwhelming.

4.68/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Can. Poured some into a glass to see beer itself. Hazy orange color with a lot of hop particles.
Smell from the can is mango, pineapple, pine trees and citrus zest. Quite outstanding.
Taste is really very nice, first you are hit with a pleasant sweetness and flavors of bitter citrus, juicy hops and pineapple. Finishes with a smooth bitter kick. Very creamy and nice mouthfeel. Overall a very nice IPA. Well balanced and a pleasure to drink.

4.75/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Got two cans from MPLSbrewer. Decided to pour one for the review.

A= Pours a beautiful golden yellow color with a nice two fingers of head that holds some steady retention and lacing.

S= The smell is amazing. Tons and tons of hops. It smells like hop candy to be honest. Waves of flavor and amazingness comes over my nose. Resinous and fruity. I've honestly never smelled an IPA quite like this one before.

T= The taste is similar to the nose. The can says that it's not ment to be the most over the top IPA in the world and it definitely isn't. It's a beautiful mix of sweet and bitter. He hops come through with a pineapple like sweetness and just enough bitterness. I really can't explain the taste besides awesome.

M= Smooth and creamy. They didn't over hop it at all.

O= I wasn't expecting much from this beer to be honest. I figured it would be just another super hoppy IPA. This is a unique beer however. It transcends most IPAs in the way that the hops are so flavorful and fruity. This beer is better than I expected somehow. I can't explain it really. Worth seeking out and trying over and over.

4.69/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

We visited The Alchemist's cannery today, and the pair we are cracking for this review were canned today. We will obey the demands from the can and drink straight from the vessel, but we first decant off an ounce or so to assess its appearance. The brew shows a hazy straw coloring, putting up a quick one finger head of lemon meringue colored foam, showing variability of bubble size, and nice retention. Lacing is tight and ridged, snaking the circumference of the glass. Haze is thick, but no outright sediment is noted. Carbonation appears to be moderate. The aroma is pungent, even from the hole in the can, giving fresh pineapple, white grape, apricot tang, fresh earthiness of clayed dirt, raw honey, clover flower, wet moss, cucumber skins, soft plastic bite, and distant farmhouse muskiness. These blend atop a solid base of crisp pale malts and raw barley, powdered sugar, and hop varietals of sticky nectars, citrics, and herbal depth. With warmth the booze comes out as well, but it is sweeter rather than burning and fusel. Our first impression is that the hops are explosive, fresh, and tangy, with drinkability for years, and an insanely cleansing and balanced finishing that leaves your mouth dripping wet with salivation for that next sip. As we taste, the flavor opens with raw honey sweetness, white sugars, sweet pear, pineapple, tangerine, and golden delicious fruitiness, brightly citric and bitterly herbal hops, flashes of lemon juiciness, faint brandy booziness, and pale, lightly toasted and powdered malts. The middle comes to a peak with dill weed, vegetal pepper metallics, biting plastics, and continued pear and blueberry fruitiness, along with the sweetest, most nectary hops of the sip. Tannic lemon teas and those crisp pales also rides high across the palate, pulling us into a finish with a hop profile most similar to the beginning of the sip, when held in the mouth. Here you get that fresh earthy and herbal hop bite, with black pepper and continued dill herbals, dripping pine sap, clove honey, honeysuckle florals, green twig, lemon rind tang, bready pales, faint rye crustiness, coiny metallic yeast, and light parsnip vegetals. The aftertaste breathes of crisp bready toastiness, clean pale malt sweetness, light rye twang, graphite, chalked yeastiness, aromatic mossy and musky rumbles, toasted pistachio nuts, bitter herbal hoppiness, and those sticky sweet nectary and lightly resiny hops. The body is medium, and carbonation is high, but not offensive or overly prickled. Each sip gives soft and syrupy slurp, smack, cream, froth, and pop. The mouth is left foamy, coated, and dripping wet with salivation. There is mild puck from the hoppiness of it all, added to by alcohol, especially as the beer warms. The abv is appropriate, hardly noticed, and nicely contributory, and the beer drinks like water.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this beer was its flavoring. The balance that is struck between the hops alone is incredible and beautiful, with sticky sweet fruity nectars and citrus battling, blending, and then giving way to a stronger herbal component through the finish shows variability throughout the sip, punch at each stop, and precise progression along the palate. The fact that it took us over an hour to rate this guy, and across several cans no less, speaks to both its complexity and depth, as well as to its utterly simple and remarkable ease of drinkability. The mouthfeel is smooth, frothy, sticky to the lips, and coating, striking just the right combination to keep your mouth and buds wanting more, more, and more. While every aspect of this masterpiece shines, it is the taste that stays with you the most, and will, at least for the next few nights to come, keep us up at night thinking about it.

4.62/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Brought eight cans back from a trip to the cannery in March of 2013.

Pale yellow, slightly cloudy appearance.

Great hoppy aroma - hard to beat. Lots of citrus and pine on the nose.

The flavor is just as good. Nice clean, slightly sweet flavor. Big hop flavor, but not overly bitter and very little aftertaste.

On par with Pliny, but different flavors- sweeter, more citrus in the hop profile. In a side by side tasting, they both stood up well, although Pliny won out on appearance.

Great beer! I'm sad my stockpile is gone.

(note: I also had it on draft ate the cannery and saw no noticeable difference in quality.)

4.18/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Bought a case of this from The Alchemist on Memorial Day, have been making my way through it over the past month. Sat down to do a couple proper reviews of it in the last week or so, so these notes are on cans that have ~3.5 weeks on them.

Appearance: Poured into a snifter (note: I drank most of my case from the can, but I wanted to actually see it at least once). Poured a murky, impenetrable orange-yellow with a sudsy finger and half head.

Aroma: From the can or in a glass, this beer has just an incredible smell. Tons of hops, piney, resiny, dank, a little floral, some citrus. Citrusy notes seemed more prominent when it was fresher.

Taste: Some malt up front, but I don't think I could say much about it, because immediately afterward the hops showed up in force. Serious bitterness with some spiciness gave way to a more balanced finish. Noticeable changes in flavor from malts to hops to finish for me. No traces of alcohol that I can detect.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, medium bodied, tending towards chewy but staying quite drinkable. I liked how this beer felt.

Overall: It was interesting to drink this beer as it got older. The first can I drank, on the day it was canned, was pretty incredible. The last can I drank, just under four weeks old, was a very good, solid beer. Insanely tasty and drinkable, lived up to the hype for me. Glad I was able to try it.

4.66/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to JOSHMAN for this one (and three others)!

As best I can tell from the information I have, this was canned on June 3rd, 3 weeks ago.

First review of Heady Topper on a "Drink from the can!" experience:

Poured from a can into my mouth.

A: Silver, black. Picture a guy drinking beer from a glass, but his head is exploding with hops. That's about what this looks like. Clean and shiny. Not really sure how I can even grade this. I'm resigned to just giving it whatever my "overall" is.

S: Sweet, sweet hops. Earthy and citric aromas come strong out of the can immediately upon opening. A little spiciness lingers, almost like the faintest hint of a cologne, but in a good way. Strong citrus aromas of pineapple dominate. I could sniff this beer all day, but I've resigned to drinking it.

T/M: Follows the nose pretty closely. A little more carbonation up-front than through the rest of the sip is delivered... maybe the can, maybe just my perception. Lots of sweet citrus on the body, with a little dank earthiness following. A lingering bitterness follows along with a little more earthy flavor and feel. The bitterness in this emerges almost after all other flavors have begun to die off but doesn't dominate the flavor profile while sipping. Body has nice, sweet malt character that doesn't dominate the beer, but does provide a sweetness to this that is very nice with all of the citrus. Alcohol doesn't show up much at all in the taste. The mouthfeel overall is just about perfect for the style in terms for gravity, but the lingering finish feels just slightly off, like I'm trying to get something out of my mouth rather than keep it there. Still very pleasant. Really drinkable.

O: Really happy with this beer. I will need to try it side by side with Pliny to really sort out the nuances of each, but each is great in its own right. I'm finding myself drinking this dangerously quickly -- I am pretty glad I don't have enough of these to just enjoy at will and open in series, or I could end up very drunk very quickly. I was worried that this beer would be a little too dank for me, but that really hasn't been the case at all. I don't suspect that the beer has "lost" this since canning, so I think perhaps I just had unfounded worries. Great beer.

4.5/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.75

Big thanks to Dee at Bobby's Liquor for this one!

I did venture to pour out some precious liquid for a look and what followed appeared very similar to a Saison. Straw in color, murky an opaque, with a decent amount if head that, surprisingly, did not lace well. No floaties, either. No wonder they say to drink from the can! Aroma is super piny with a lot of passion fruit: mango and pineapple mostly. It's prickly. Even some spice, like allspice but much more mild. Flavor starts off spicy: similar to cinnamon or allspice. I get bitterness from the start, but its mild and inviting. It's also somewhat malty: some biscuit and white bread crust. The bitterness gets more intense and the pine and resin shine through. It's not super bitter. The feel is more watery than viscous. The carbonation is low for the style, but the hoppiness jumps out just like a higher carbonated beer.

This was a wild ride, but at the end of the day I have to jump through so many hoops that I'd rather just get a Pliny every other week.

4.85/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

a) silver and black can with a neat logo :) its hard to judge this since the can so explicitly says to drink it from the can...not sure what a proper # rating would be since you can't actually see the beer.

s) smells like lots of hops, very tasty hops. i also pick up some resinous pine needles mixed with quite a bit of citrus, floral and fruit. smells awesome.

t) gotta say it has lived up to the hype. it is surprisingly citrusy in flavor, with plenty of pine and hops and hints of fruit.

m) it makes me pucker a little bit but not in a super bitter kinda way. it has just the right about of hops and it is so smoothly blended with all the other subtle nuances. feels light in the mouth with good carbonation.

o) fantastic beer. i had been sitting on this beer for 3 nights before i tried it and the anticipation was a bit ridiculous (i mean its just beer) and it totally delivered.

4.93/5  rDev +5.8%

I recently had a chance to taste the legendary Heady Topper, and it was truly a ground breaking experience for me. This is the essence of what most IPA's strive to be, but come up a bit short. The aroma is floral and fruity in all the right ways, the head is moderate when poured, and the appearance is a thick, luscious, golden color with it's unfiltered qualities lending to it's bold appearance.

The taste...oh the taste. This is an experience to be had. The taste is magnificently hoppy, but unlike many hoppy beers, it is not bitter, does not have a puckery sensation, and has an incredibly smooth, subtle aftertaste. At 8%, you'd believe that this was a tasting beer with the mounds of hops present, but this could easily turn into a session beer (if you're not careful).

This is beer crack. I want more.

4.82/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a slightly cloudy amber color with a stark white bubbly head. The aroma is great. The second the can pops you can smell the hops. The aroma is of piney hops and floral hops. It smells like an earthly flower shop. The taste follows suit, there is no ripe your face of bitterness just a great blended flavor. The malts are there as the backbone, but the hops play out with piney earthy hops up front before a floral and citrus hop flavor comes through at the end. The mouthfeel is perfect. Overall this beer is as good as advertised. A great beer a must try.

4.77/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

Poured a chug into pint glass just to see what it looked like. Drank rest out of can.

A very cloudy but love it.
S pine and grapefruit dominant but complex. Not as pungent as i was expecting
M very nice malt backbone compared to some ipas and still very drinkable
T excellent. Maybe perfect. Reminds me a lot of fff permanent funeral but with more citrus
O this actually lives up to the hype. Im only docking slightly b/c it didnt improve imo as it warmed. Also i think ill drink the next one from the glass as the can did nothing for me

Thanks BA ironchefmiyagi

4.5/5  rDev -3.4%

Tall boy can
A) Pours with a big head. Tight, big bubble head slowly settles to a thin lacing at the edge of the glass. Slightly hazy body copper in color. Semi-sticky lacing on the drink down.
S) Crazy aromatic - could smell the hops as soon as I cracked the can. Orange. Pink grapefruit. Hints of pine. Bright floral notes.
T) A great blend of hops and malts. The malts are subdue midway through by the hops. Pine resin. A lingering hop bite in the aftertaste.
M) Medium body. Tannic, slick tongue feel. Dry leafy finish.
O) A delicious IPA. I'd have another ... If I had another.

3.36/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

I knew I'd tick this one eventually without having to actively seek it out. Success! Thanks Dan for the share on your extra. 2 oz. into a tulip so I could mark the visuals and aroma, another 3-4 oz. straight from the can on June 14th, 2013.

A - Lightly cloudy, murky medium-golden color with an enormously bubbly head. Good retention and lacing.

S - Deeply resinous, pine-sol, rouge, slightly burnt caramel, touch of peach and herbs.

T - It's really better balanced than I thought it would be. That being said, the hops are sharp, overly-acidic, and disappointingly simple. Grapefruit rind, toasted almond, and lemon peel.

M - Light body, moderate carbonation, very dry (even sour-like) finish.

D - I'm a bit stunned in a bad way. There are scores of other IPA/DIPA's I would choose over this particular can. Another revisit? I don't know.

4.75/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The hype of this beer made me want it. Got it on a beer trade from a bloke in nj. Opened the can and dug my nose in it... So delicious. Super hop aroma and pine. Put a chug in my mouth and swished it around like scope and put it down. Then came. Nothing more.

4.67/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The Alchemist Heady Topper

Thanks to Jackie for the opportunity to give this one a go.

Enjoyed directly from the can, as recommended by the brewer. This was chilled to optimal temperature.

A) Poured about an ounce into a sampler glass to get a look at this brew. A hazy golden amber, with a small white head. Looks nice...

S) Very impressive... I've opened quite a few beers in my time, but this was something new. Upon cracking this one open, there was just an explosion of hops aroma. I'm so accustomed to pouring a beer into a glass, and getting my nose in there, but that is simply not necessary with this beer. Plenty piney/citrusy , and some tropical fruits too.

T) Very nice balance... The hops is the main attraction, but it is never overly bitter. Layers of hoppy goodness, piney, grassy, grapefruit, mango, a little lemon zest. Absolutely no indication the ABV is 8%.

M) A solid medium body, with light carbonation. A good jolt of hops, yet remarkably smooth. This is easy drinking, and finishes so clean.

O) Glad I was finally able to board this hype train. It took a long time to finally get the opportunity, but this one is worth seeking out for any hop lover. Only got one can, so staring at it now completely empty is a bit of a bummer. Anyone in Vermont looking to get their hands on some New Glarus beer?

Ok, so I never give out 5s, but I had such an amazing experience with this beer I felt I had to. I have been craving this beer ever since I heard about and through the generosity of fellow BAs, I am able to enjoy it multiple times.

Yes, I gave it a 5 for appearance, because I don't see anything wrong with the hazy, sediment filled brew. I would rather that than have them filter it and alter it to make it more 'aesthetically appealing'. The aroma is pungent hops, juicy grapefruit and light toasty malts that all work together in total harmony and synchronization. Flavor is smooth and glides gracefully along the palate. It's such a pleasant and soft mouthfeel, giving it dangerous drinkability.

I can honestly say this was a perfect beer for me. Everything worked together and nothing was over or underpowered. Simply amazing.

4.59/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I have to say that I was impressed by this beer. I only managed to have a couple of sips since i was sharing the one can we found we a couple of friends but i found this beer to be very,. very enjoyable.
The can has some pretty cool artwork
The smell was nice and hoppy, with a fantastic aroma of tropical fruits and grasses
The flavor was what sealed the deal for me, really crisp, clean, with a slow rolling bitterness that led to a lightly sweet finish the hangs with you for a while.
All in all it is a great beer, too bad they dont distribute more of it, because i would buy a case

4.44/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16 ounces of perfection. Amazing head and deep copper body. Smells of sticky hops and strong sweet malty goodness.

Taste follows suit with an abundance of hoppy delightfulness paired with a strong malt backbone.

The price is right and the taste is too. Absolutely a world class beer. Glad I can get a steady stream of this because for a dipa it can't be beat.

4.86/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Reviewed from notes. Finally getting around to typing it up. Full disclosure, I drank a lot of Heady over a several month period and so my review ultimately takes into account my judgments across many samples.

A. Orange with a modest creamy white head. If drank from the can (which is wonderful and in many ways I prefer), then the appearance is simply a lovely can which immediately provokes a Pavlovian response from me...

O. Candied grapefruit, citrus, sweet and sap like, some fresh pine. Not overwhelming, but mildly abrasive. Not too shabby indeed.

T. Now we come to the sledgehammer. Taste is where this beer winds up and lays the smack down on most all other DIPAs. Holy mother mountain of grapefruit! Pungent hops, astringent, tangy, abrasive, piney, puckering. Use whatever words you want; it's bliss in a beer. But its not just the hops! There is a breadiness that is ever so delicate. It's not your standard syrupy malt, but a wonderful crisp yeast and acid balance that leaves you always wanting more. It's the unique signature of this beer.

M. Resinous and creamy, without feeling heavy. This is everything you want from a DIPA. Drinking from the can or from the glass is a true joy.

O. What more can be said about this gem. It's a true hop monster. When absolutely fresh, it's an untamed beast. When several months old, it remains a marvelously balanced DIPA. The utter lack of a classic malt profile is the real kicker here, and it's what makes this beer stand out against other well known DIPAs.

4.73/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A: Golden honey brown colored body with a bubbly, rocky and creamy looking head. A nice retention ring is left behind, along with sticky lace on the walls. Unfiltered floaties are unmistakable in the body, as mentioned there might be should you pour this out. Really, they're just ugly and kill the looks of the beer. I can't help but think this is part of the reason they recommend drinking from the can (other than the hop aroma retention).

S: Piney and earthy hop notes rocket from the glass. Hop resin and oils, orange and lemon bitter peels are next. Towards the end is a crisp bready element and caramel & pale malts. Touches of bitterness dance around the entire nose.

T: Bitter hop resin and oils wrestle the palate with a gentle nature. Pine and earthy hop notes again come through. Mid-palate are sweet orange and pink grapefruit oils, a generic citrus and rich sweet caramel malts. Finishes sticky and bitter.

M: Bubbly and creamy, perhaps a bit thin for a medium-bodied beer, though. Sticky bitter pine and sap on the palate in the linger.

This is easily in the top five Imperial IPAs I've ever had to date. It's extremely balanced, flavorful and never lets up on the delicious hop abuse.

4.97/5  rDev +6.7%

473ml can served in a tulip (to take a look in the appearance) and also drunk from the can as suggested by the brewer.

A: Pours a hazy yellow to orange to beige color forming a small think bubbled creamy head. Low retention and only few lingering lacings left in the glass

S: Hops bomb, of course. Refreshing and delicious. Strongly tropical fruity profile with strong notes of green mango (I've grown up in Brazil and we've had some mango trees in our backyard. So, believe me, green mango smells pretty much like this). A bit lemony. Malts and some sweetness

T: Excellent taste. Again, of course, giving emphasis to the hops. But the malts profile is also very good. Pale malts, mainly, something between Maris Otter and Perl, Slightly sweet upfront but with an overall, dry and crispy malt profile. Intensive hops bitterness, however, very well harmonized. Notes of citrus lemony hops. Green mango, tropical fruits. Light notes of brown sugar

M: Medium body and carbonation. Strong citrus hoppy aftertaste

O: Very drinkable. Excellent experience. I was expecting an excellent IIPA and that's exactly what I've got

3.93/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.75

An east coast DIPA trying to be an west coast DIPA. Pours a very cloudy light amber to dark golden color. A good carbonation with good retention through the tasting.

The nose offers a lot of complexity and very malt forward. A nice citrus forward aroma with notes of orange mango and lemon. Some minor grapefruit, more comes out as you taste it. Some piney and hint of herbal undertones as well but more citrus forward. A hint of bready malts but no off yeast notes.

The taste is a bit one dimensional. Hoppy flavors up front with good citrus and orangy flavors. The grapefruit comes out a bit more versus the nose. But the bitterness is a bit lacking and the malt/body is hidden. Some piney and over resiny notes come out as well into the finish. But I would have liked a bit more complexity in the taste.

The body is moderately light. Has more of a single IPA character instead of the DIPA complexity. Carbonation is good.

I do feel like Im nit picking this beer, and there are some fantastic hop notes that really come out, but I am really looking for a bit more character here. Well it's a good thing no one really reads these reviews anyways.

4.87/5  rDev +4.5%

The artwork ok the can itself is killer. Although it clearly states to drink straight from the can I opted instead to pour this one into a tulip to scope it out. Very hazy burnt orange in color, minimal head and lots of "floaties" that anyone whos done any research has been warned about.

The smell is everything I would ever want out of a beer in this category. It smells so incredibly juicy. Mango/pineapple/tropical hop notes, some orange/grapefruit/citrusy notes, touch of resiny pine, touch of malt. You can tell its got a little touch of alcohol but I wouldnt guess it clocks in at 8%.

Here the alcohol is a little more present but blends SO WELL with the juicy hop explosion it delivers right off the first sip. From the second it touches your taste buds all the way through the finish this ones an A+. Im getting all those mango/tropical hop notes with a slight bitterness as well. The flavor seems to saturate your entire palate but not in an immediate/ assaulting way, its like a soft blanket of perfect IPA flavor that covers your palate completely. So good. And SO DRINKABLE. Very flavorful yet very smooth, super addicting from the first sip and very easy to put back. I'd definitely suggest against buying a single can unless thats your only option.

Mothfeel....hmmm....some noteable carbonation but not crackling or stinging if that makes any sense. Goes down super smooth. Medium to full body. Almost an oxymoron because right as I start to notice that almost drying grapefruit bitterness most IPAs have the juicy tropical notes come through and wash that away. Very slight alcohol warmth is noteworthy too but its just the right amount and fits in perfectly with the rest of what this beer has to offer.

Worth the Hype? Idk, it depends on what you have to go through to get it. After all, it IS still a beer...but in my opinion, if you've been questing for this one, keeep at it. I lived in MA for most of my life and spent the last couple years trying to track this one down to no avail. Moved all the way down to NC and within the first 2 months got it as a random gift from a boss at a new job. The irony. Easily one of, if not definitely my favorite of all the IPAs/ DIPAs I've EVER had. Its just got the total package. The drinkability on this one is UNREAL despite being so incredibly flavorful and semi high in alcohol. IPAs arent normally "my thing" these days but if I had regular access to this beer theres no doubt id be buyin the shit out of it each and every chance I had.

Perfectly balanced IPA. Great Hoppy flavor, not overly bitter and very drinkable. The smell hits you when opening the can. The fruity/floral flavor hits your palate instantly and lasts. They recommend that you drink it out of the can, but I tried it both from can and glass and found no difference.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist