1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Heady TopperHeady Topper

The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA” 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
View: Beers (8) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,155 | Reviews: 1,463 | Show All Ratings:
MCain04

4.88/5  rDev +3.2%

Gifted from BostonRyan, much appreciated. 16 oz can , 8 oz poured into a HF glass and the rest consumed from can as per instructions. 2 weeks fresh.

A: Dark yellow/orange/amber opaque color with 2 fingers of fluffy thick white head with great retention and lacing. They say that Alchemist recommends drinking from the can to avoid having to see the beer poured, but I think it looks very nice. Almost identical to Abner when poured into a glass.

S: Citrus, citrus, citrus. Lemon and lime dominate, with some orange, pine, and grassy notes. Nice nose.

T: Follows the nose perfectly and builds on that note. Citrus, bitterness, piney and grassy, just a great hop-forward taste. Just enough malt to balance without dominating the flavor. Perfectly balanced flavor with great bitterness and overall taste. Gold standard for IPAs.

M: As good as the taste is, the mouthfeel is even better. Medium body with moderate carbonation and dry finish, with a wonderfully smooth feel throughout. Just awesome.

O: Lives up to the hype. Get it if you can, trade for it, travel for it, don't pass it up. Better than Abner, and a touch better than Pliny. Just really great.

01-19-2013 07:32:20 | More by MCain04
TheFightfan1

4.88/5  rDev +3.2%

After much searching I finally got a can of this at The Churchville Inn. Poured into a tulip, a very hazy golden color with alot of hop sediment at the bottom of the glass. Left a nice two finger heading with soapy rings left over after every sip. A non-stop fizzing action from the bottom of the glass to the surface.

I'm getting alot of mango and tangerine at first. Solid piney hop notes with really no sugary or hot alcohol aroma's. Finishes with a pineapple touch of zestiness.

Taste is explosive... Hoppy resins attack the palate immediately, a second wave of a more tropical fruit and juicy flavors come into play. A final wave of a bitter hop lingers on the palate for a big green finish.

Medium bodied, excellent balance. Dry finish.

Not bad...not bad at all. A great balance of bitter hops,fruitiness and light malts. Not a heavy IPA and the alcohol is extremely well hidden. This rates in my top ten for IIPA's but numero uno in all styles ??? I don't know that's for you to decide.

Re-review 7/29. After a friend recently visted Vermont he bought a few cases of heady and wasn't all that greedy and let me have some. Anyway this stuff very fresh is amazing. I left it in the can a big no no for you beer geeks. LOL. All I can say is yes this is the best IIPA on the market today and yes beats my beloved hopslam. Embrace the hype !Tremendous beer.

03-28-2013 20:40:18 | More by TheFightfan1
akang

4.88/5  rDev +3.2%

I was able to have this on-tap at the brewery when I went to pick-up some cases, and have had a couple directly from the can as well as in a snifter.

A - Very cloudy orange haze with a head that lingers (when poured). I know people knock it for the appearance but I actually find it pretty appealing.

S - Incredibly aromatic (especially from the can). Strong scents of citrus (particularly grapefruit) and fresh hops.

T - I love the balance. There is a strong hop profile but it's not over the top. The citrus scents follow through on the taste as well. The finish is dry with a surprising bitterness.

M - Very well carbonated that makes it incredibly easy to keep drinking.

O - It's amazing how well-balanced this DIPA really is and definitely deserving of the hype. However, I'm not sure if it is the best beer in the world (even in my limited experience, PtY holds that spot for me). Having said that, I will definitely be enjoying the cans I have left and mourn them when they are gone.

05-03-2013 01:47:59 | More by akang
RyanLigeia

4.88/5  rDev +3.2%

The artwork ok the can itself is killer. Although it clearly states to drink straight from the can I opted instead to pour this one into a tulip to scope it out. Very hazy burnt orange in color, minimal head and lots of "floaties" that anyone whos done any research has been warned about.

The smell is everything I would ever want out of a beer in this category. It smells so incredibly juicy. Mango/pineapple/tropical hop notes, some orange/grapefruit/citrusy notes, touch of resiny pine, touch of malt. You can tell its got a little touch of alcohol but I wouldnt guess it clocks in at 8%.

Here the alcohol is a little more present but blends SO WELL with the juicy hop explosion it delivers right off the first sip. From the second it touches your taste buds all the way through the finish this ones an A+. Im getting all those mango/tropical hop notes with a slight bitterness as well. The flavor seems to saturate your entire palate but not in an immediate/ assaulting way, its like a soft blanket of perfect IPA flavor that covers your palate completely. So good. And SO DRINKABLE. Very flavorful yet very smooth, super addicting from the first sip and very easy to put back. I'd definitely suggest against buying a single can unless thats your only option.

Mothfeel....hmmm....some noteable carbonation but not crackling or stinging if that makes any sense. Goes down super smooth. Medium to full body. Almost an oxymoron because right as I start to notice that almost drying grapefruit bitterness most IPAs have the juicy tropical notes come through and wash that away. Very slight alcohol warmth is noteworthy too but its just the right amount and fits in perfectly with the rest of what this beer has to offer.

Worth the Hype? Idk, it depends on what you have to go through to get it. After all, it IS still a beer...but in my opinion, if you've been questing for this one, keeep at it. I lived in MA for most of my life and spent the last couple years trying to track this one down to no avail. Moved all the way down to NC and within the first 2 months got it as a random gift from a boss at a new job. The irony. Easily one of, if not definitely my favorite of all the IPAs/ DIPAs I've EVER had. Its just got the total package. The drinkability on this one is UNREAL despite being so incredibly flavorful and semi high in alcohol. IPAs arent normally "my thing" these days but if I had regular access to this beer theres no doubt id be buyin the shit out of it each and every chance I had.

06-15-2013 08:32:42 | More by RyanLigeia
TychoNDC

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Reviewed from notes. Finally getting around to typing it up. Full disclosure, I drank a lot of Heady over a several month period and so my review ultimately takes into account my judgments across many samples.

A. Orange with a modest creamy white head. If drank from the can (which is wonderful and in many ways I prefer), then the appearance is simply a lovely can which immediately provokes a Pavlovian response from me...

O. Candied grapefruit, citrus, sweet and sap like, some fresh pine. Not overwhelming, but mildly abrasive. Not too shabby indeed.

T. Now we come to the sledgehammer. Taste is where this beer winds up and lays the smack down on most all other DIPAs. Holy mother mountain of grapefruit! Pungent hops, astringent, tangy, abrasive, piney, puckering. Use whatever words you want; it's bliss in a beer. But its not just the hops! There is a breadiness that is ever so delicate. It's not your standard syrupy malt, but a wonderful crisp yeast and acid balance that leaves you always wanting more. It's the unique signature of this beer.

M. Resinous and creamy, without feeling heavy. This is everything you want from a DIPA. Drinking from the can or from the glass is a true joy.

O. What more can be said about this gem. It's a true hop monster. When absolutely fresh, it's an untamed beast. When several months old, it remains a marvelously balanced DIPA. The utter lack of a classic malt profile is the real kicker here, and it's what makes this beer stand out against other well known DIPAs.

06-18-2013 01:36:25 | More by TychoNDC
SnifterWorthy

4.88/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance:

I drank this baby as recommended; she stays in the can. So, it’s hard to note on appearance here… the can looks nice?

Aroma:

Thick, aromatic, resinous pine. The lid of the can smells like a freshly opened packet of hop pellets used for homebrewing. The smell is fantastic, and I needed to remind myself that the beer was meant to be drunk. Here goes nothing…

Taste:

Bubbles hit first, giving a pleasant prickle on the tongue. As soon as the sensation fades, you get hit with hops. Hard. Not melt-your-enamel-off bitter, like some DIPAs out there, but true hop flavor. Pine is the most prevalent flavor here, and the experience is not unlike what I image a pine-needle tea would be like. The woodsy flavor lingers for a few seconds before it melts into a slight citrusy sweetness. The aftertaste leaves you with an impression of the first sip accompanied by a mellow alcoholic burn.

Mouthfeel:

Moderate, prickly carbonation, as well as slightly viscous; not a hop syrup however, as it finishes dry.

Overall:

Wow, I’m glad I like piney hops or this would’ve been a letdown. I would not recommend this one to people who can’t handle their beers with a coniferous twist. That being said, yes…This beer lives up to the hype. Never before have I had a beer that tastes so much like a pure hop cone. Heady Topper was a journey and a pain for me to find, but it truly is an amazing example of hop-wizardry; although simplistic, the fresh flavor was worth the effort.

PS:

If you do get the chance to try this beer, don’t be like the others who gave it a 5 and wrote nothing. We get it, you had a top-rated beer, congratulations … it was good, we know… Why don’t you do yourself a favor and try to help the community out by describing what you had (maybe you noticed something that others did not).

08-14-2013 19:18:05 | More by SnifterWorthy
SebD

Ontario (Canada)

4.88/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: It has a nice hazy golden/orange color to it. It has a nice off-white head that dies down moderately and leaves lovely lacing.

Smell: Holy freakin hops. It has a very tropical smell of citrus, pineapple, grapefruit, piney resins, buttery malts and sweet caramel.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has alot of citrus upfront, grapefruit, pineapple, a very nice resiny pine bitterness, bready/buttery malts, sweet caramel. The flavors all work so well together. Can't ask for a better balance.

Mouthfeel: It has a medium carbonation with a great overall balance and feel. I can't get enough of it.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with great flavors and aromas. This is a world class beer, if you ever get the chance to try it don't hesitate. It's near perfection in a can.

09-23-2013 20:42:40 | More by SebD
11JON11MO

4.88/5  rDev +3.2%

OK we made the pilgrimage from the Capital District in NY to Vermont. The Alchemist will not be open to the public past 11/15/13 while they look for another place to open up. Yep it was worth the trip.
A - If you are looking for clear then look for a filtered beer. This is and was meant to be unfiltered. Nicely done
S - Pine, Grapefruit, Citrus very nice smell.
T - Again the Hops shines and the pine, grapefruit taste comes out.
M - Very nice not too much alcohol.
O - very nice almost perfection.

11-10-2013 02:51:22 | More by 11JON11MO
hearsnobrain

Arizona

4.88/5  rDev +3.2%

Another head sucked into the hype. After trying the sample from the Alchemist tap, which was damn delicious, I was still unsure if the journey was worth it. Settled back where I was staying, I cracked a can and fell in love.

Traveling via car, ferry, train, cab, subway, tram, and plane... a case made it back home to Arizona with me. Friends rejoiced and the nectar was sparingly enjoyed to the last drop.

There are enough ASTMO reviews so I just thought I'd share my story instead.

11-28-2013 09:04:15 | More by hearsnobrain
bbeerman

4.88/5  rDev +3.2%

Received a can from a neighbor that hales from Vermont. As instructed by the can, I did NOT pour but drank directly from the can.

A..No idea, I didn't pour it.

S..Great goodness this was full of hops. Almost over the top hops (if there is such a thing). To be as descriptive as possible, it smells like a very good 420 session.

T..Beautiful hops obviously. Some citrus tastes as I recall. There was a bit of maltiness, but faint as you'd expect from such a hoppy brew.

M..Quite easy to drink. No problems whatsoever. I had no feeling this beer was 8% abv; could enjoy 3-4 easily.

O..Great beer. I'm in debt to my neighbor for that can!

02-05-2014 17:07:45 | More by bbeerman
JeffoC6

Canned: Don't see a date
Drinking: 2/9/14
Setting: Living room couch watching the Olympics..Sochi!
***I am giving this a 4 for "appearance" to be fair. I'm willing to bet that this beer is not going to be under a 4. I will edit the appearance score once I try my second, which I will pour into a glass***

A: Unknown, drinking it from the can as instructed by the Alchemist! Will do a second review with my other can poured into a glass. Edit/Update to come in the near future.

S: The hop nose is more pine than citrus, but both are there. Nice resin/sappyness Almost sweet..I'm getting honey?. Citrus is a little more tamed than a normal hard hitting West Coast DIPA, but it's there. It's a nice contrast from what I'm used to. Along with this wonderful nose bouquet, I also get a tiny hint of some spice, allspice, clove to go with the pine, citrus, and honey. Maybe a little bayleave? Strange, I know, but I'm picking it up. Subtle bread/earthy malt tones underneath all of which make this a fantastic, complex aroma.

T: Seriously, this is unlike any other beer I've had. It's got a really nice pine and honey hop presence up front, which matches the nose. The malty underbelly of this beer keeps it from being like just another West Coast DIPA. It's not an all out hop assault, but a balanced beer full of all sorts of flavors which meld together like a wonderful witches brew. Or shall I say, and Alchemist's brew? Honey, pine, candied citrus, spice, rye, bread...It's all there, and wonderful
*edit*
As I continue to drink...And burp...I'm getting some herbs (in the burp). REALLY well done. How do they do that? Hahaha

MF: I can see why you're supposed to drink this beer right from the can. I normally am a glass guy only, but hey, I figured my first foray into Heady Topper should be done as the brewer requests. I'm stunned with how great this beer hits the palette straight from the can. All sorts of stickiness on the lips and tongue. Carbonation is lively and perfect, letting you experience all of the flavor complexities.

O: Yep, I'm also on board with this one. It's deserving of all the hype it gets. I was lucky to score a 4 pack which I shared with my beer loving cousin, so I've got one more left, and I already can't wait to drink it. This beer is worth searching out and enjoying because it's unlike any other beer I've tasted thusfar. Not to add to the hype, but I'm not one for lying to myself just to be a contrarian.
PS- Thanks SoB! - Cappy

02-10-2014 00:20:18 | More by JeffoC6
jackpritchard

Hawaii

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Top beer. Although it says drink from the can, I enjoy it from a glass much better. Full grapefruit smell. High hop taste. Mouthfeel is OK. Little to no bitter aftertaste. Ages ok, but best fresh. Got mine from the brewery before they closed the retail shop.

03-01-2014 04:15:35 | More by jackpritchard
Matty123

Connecticut

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

What can I say that hasn't been said already? Best beer in the Country? That depends on the drinker. It is easily one of the best beers I have ever had in my life and I smile just thinking about it. Pliny, Lawsons, Hill Farmstead, New England Brewing Co... I've had them all many times and they are all so damned good! I find no point in saying one is "better" than the other.. This beer leaves you feeling like you just ate a fresh grapefruit. It leaves you wanting to crack another. I've had it out the can and out of a Tulip, and its just as good either way! GOD BLESS THE ALCHEMIST!

03-27-2014 18:56:56 | More by Matty123
SweetChicken

4.88/5  rDev +3.2%

I love this freakin beer. Unlike some of the heavier/boozier top beers, this not only goes hand in hand with Pliny for best in class, but is a daily drinking beer too. Just wish it was more readily available so I could have it daily. If you ain't had it, get you some.

04-05-2014 00:57:46 | More by SweetChicken
brewtus

4.89/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Yesterday this was #3, new BA format and BOOM #1, tastes even better now!

Anyways. It's Tuesday and this can was canned last Thursday, picked it up at the brewery. I had one that day but wanted to focus on the mindblow.

It's great out of the can but I poured this into a bourbon snifter to review, it had the smallest mouth opening of any glassware I had.

A- Pours a hazy beautiful orange with a quick fading white head
S- smells like straight hops but not in a sharp way, I get a lot of lemon, I get tropical fruits.
T/M- this is pretty unique, it's so freaking balanced for DIPA and its goes down almost buttery. Needless to say you get a boatload of hops but its sooo smooth, I don't even get it. As it goes down you get a lot of lemon and tropical fruit, pine, some subtle caramel. even the the aftertaste is great, very earthy
O- I honestly never thought I'd get to buy fresh heady, and I'm so glad I did. This is not overhyped if you like DIPA's, I can't believe this is 120 IBU's. is so smooth and it leaves you waning more after every sip, good thing it comes in 16oz cans. Almost makes me want to drive 12 hours to buy more.

01-09-2013 02:06:13 | More by brewtus
Beerandboards

New Mexico

4.89/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I've enjoyed this beer both on tap and in a can, review based on the can

A - The can says to drink it straight from the can, and I'll agree that tuis is the best way to do it. But I've poured it into a glass as well, and the appearance is a murky orange semi opaque appearance with a medium density head. Looks like somebody blended up some orange slices in a beer.

S - best smelling beer I've ever encountered. Tropical pineapple mango citrus goodness. Smells like a juicy bunch of tropical fruit.

T - largely follows the nose. Pineapple is a dominant flavor. First and only beer where I've really been able to pick that out. Lots of tropical and citrus notes. Tangerine, mango, orange. Just the slightest hint of bitterness. Perfect.

M - medium carbonation, nice presentation of oily hops, leaves plenty on the palate for copious amounts of aftertaste.

O - the best IPA I've ever had, period.

01-28-2013 05:35:15 | More by Beerandboards
MusicaleMike

4.89/5  rDev +3.4%

OK, while everyone else in Philly is drinking Pliny the Younger today, I decided to avoid the crowds and review this beauty. I sampled this a few weeks ago, and really wanted to NOT like this beer so much. But that is impossible. Anyone who likes beer would fall in love with this...

From the can into a tasting balloon glass. Thanks to monitorpop for this beer!

The beer is a muddy unfiltered ochre color topped by a massive off-white head that stays around for a long time and leaving its scarred lacing all over the glass. Not the prettiest of beers, but what's appearance when you taste this good right?

The aroma is just overwhelmingly filled with fresh hops. It reminds me of when I was on a tour of Victory Brewing Company, and walked into their hop cooler. It is just fresh, juicy hops in every direction. Filled with notes of fresh pine, peaches, and mango.

The flavor is of hops thrown in a blender and pureed. Mild bitterness, like a pale ale, but with more hop flavor that expected in a double IPA. Solid solid beer. Floral, citrus/tropical fruit, pine and lightly sweet malts in the background. But the hops just dominate the flavor and aroma. There is zero hint of alcohol in this beer.

The mouthfeel is smooth, almost creamy in nature. Robust body, but not too heavy. This beer does an amazing job of covering up the alcohol. Only a slight bite midway through the sip indicates any abv at all.

I can't believe how tasty this IPA really is. As a DIPA, I think this does so well because the abv is not crazy high and yet it delivers just a fresh punch of hops. I would 100% purchase a case of this beer. In fact, I will probably now make that trip north this month if possible. I mean, what a fantastic beer. I wanted to hate it because no one likes the hype train, but this beer has earned its stripes in my opinion. Highly recommended...thank you again to monitorpop for the chance to review this beer!!

03-02-2013 22:06:01 | More by MusicaleMike
Synergy87

Wisconsin

4.89/5  rDev +3.4%

Thanks to sirsteve42 for the trade.

This can of Heady Topper is 5 days old from the cannery. I truly wish this wasn't a Vermont only beer.

A - Bad assery, silver can that has instructions on it explaining why you should drink it from the can. The aroma burst you get from pouring will let out too many essential volatiles that should stay in the can. I have no problem drinking this beer straight from the can as the Alchemist Brewery suggests. Though if you pour this baby out, it isn't very pretty given its unpasteurized, unfiltered, and pouring it stirs up the sediment from the bottom of the can. Lets be honest, this is best left in the can.

Smell - Grass after a morning rain, fresh hops, pine. This aroma is ridiculously awesome. Best smelling IIPA I've ever had the privilege of smelling.

Taste - Almost indescribable... It is so balanced, it is hard to pick out individual flavors as they've melded together. Then again, if I focus on the flavors hard enough, it is the taste of multiple hop varieties, pine up front and a deliciously smooth dry citrus finish. This is hands down my favorite IIPA. The west coast may have Pliny the Elder but the East Coast has Heady. God damn this is one tasty beer.

Mouthfeel - As good as the taste and aroma are, the mouth feel is almost nitro tap like, but slightly more carbonated. Think of foam from a beer but with more consistency, almost creamy. Its extremely smooth and light to medium bodied, which blows my mind given the flavors and aroma.

Overall - This is the most deserving hype beer I've ever had, and hands down my favorite IIPA and beer. If I had access to this, this would be my go to beer. I cannot praise this beer anymore, the orgasmic aroma, perfectly balanced taste, and amazing mouthfeel make this way to easily drinkable for 8% abv. As I end this review, I have already finished this pint in a can. Wow! Looks like the wife and I are going to need to plan a trip to the east coast and hit up the cannery. You should seek this beer out at all costs.

04-02-2013 23:53:39 | More by Synergy87
GJ40

4.89/5  rDev +3.4%

Sampled from a can in a standard pint glass. Thanks surge1311!

A - Yellowish, light golden color and very hazy with minimal head. Not all that appealing if the aroma didn't hit me as fast as the visuals.

S - Wow! This thing cranks out aroma like nothing else I've had. Wonderful notes of pineapple, orange, grapefruit, ...

T - This is my kind of IPA. It's all about the hops and specifically late addition hops. There's enough malt there to prop it up but it gladly takes a backseat. The hop flavors follow the aroma closely. There's also a firm fruity flavor and a mild bitterness. The 8% alcohol is completely unnoticed.

M - A moderate consistency with a low carbonation. Nothing special but it supports the flavors nicely.

O - Wow, what a brew. As for the Pliny vs HT debate, no comparison in my mind. They're two different but very special things. It's like trying to say which one of my kids is my favorite.

06-13-2013 08:55:04 | More by GJ40
mverity

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

No real appearance, since I took the suggestion and drank directly from the can. However, I popped the top, and it immediately smelled like I was in the middle of Shenandoah Valley. One of my favorite places to go hiking/camping with my dad. Heady is clean, slightly piney, sweetly floral, and rather bright in aroma. The taste is really light for the 8% ABV. A great hop presence on the tongue, and sweet/bitter combination from the malt/hops. Surprisingly, the piney-ness of the hops isn’t bothering me. I typically don’t like that in my IPAs, and tend to stick towards brighter/more tropical offerings. Short duration on the tongue, which is making me drink this beer faster than I normally would have. My first HT thanks to a trade from lhteacher

07-20-2013 01:29:56 | More by mverity
JohnG190

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a golden amber with a two-finger off-white head. No "floaties" that many reviewers speak of. Nice lacing. A complex and unique aroma. Redolent of pine, tropical fruit, citrus, and earthiness; the kind of earthiness you experience walking through the parking lot of a Grateful Dead concert (for those old enough to remember the Dead). As it warms, there's a wonderfully faint floral aroma. Through all those hops one can still get a whiff of the sweet malt! Incredibly complex. The taste is very juicy, more fruit than pine. Tropical fruit hits the tongue first followed by citrus, mainly grapefruit, and dried apricot. Lots of caramel and biscuity malt flavors balance this hop bomb perfectly. Full bodied with the perfect amount of carbonation. Overall, this is a top two or three DIPA that is truly worth all the hype (and the aggravation to get it)!

07-21-2013 22:17:30 | More by JohnG190
uvajrl

4.89/5  rDev +3.4%

In short, lives up to the hype for sure.

Appears cloudy, orange-yellow, this beer is just beautiful. I would say the absolute best component of beer is the floral nose. Definitely the most citrusy, piney, robust nose you can find in an IPA. Taste echoes the smell. Perfect balance with the hops here, not like a lot of big hoppy beers where all you taste is grass. This beer is complex and beautifully built. Did a comparison to Lawson's Double Sunshine, and I felt that the DS was only every so slightly superior with regards to taste. DS has a cleaner mouthfeel than HT ever so slightly while maintaining the same balanced hop amazingness.

Bottom line: This beer is amazing. Worth the $50/4pk it goes for online if you've never had it. Otherwise, find a VT-er who can send you a steady stash for your own great locals.

08-30-2013 22:51:17 | More by uvajrl
Scipio

Mississippi

4.89/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Heady Topper from The Alchemist is the counter-point to Pliny the Elder. It's brash, fun, and overpowering. This is not a subtle beer. Truth be told, I'm not sure I've had enough of it to rate it.

But every time I crack one, I am reminded that God loves us and wants us to be happy, whether we're up to our assholes in alligators, or sitting on the back porch watching the dogs play. I may prefer Pliny, but I can't shake the feeling that Heady Topper is better. It's hard to admit your favorite ain't the best.

11-08-2013 16:39:16 | More by Scipio
MRLMedic

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Made the 7 hour round trip to acquire this wonderful beer.

I can't really add much that hasn't been already said. I tried some in a glass and some out of the can and the can is the way to go. Really enjoyed having this beer nice and fresh.

This is a perfectly balanced beer. Killer hops! It says 8% but this will knock you on your butt after a few.

Will make the trip up to Vermont again!

11-25-2013 00:16:46 | More by MRLMedic
BastardFromABasket

4.89/5  rDev +3.4%

I've had many a can of Heady and I've been fortunately enough to have it on tap a several times so this isn't a single experience review.

At it's best, it's truly amazing. LIQUID HOP CANDY. An inexplicable sweetness ( not malty or sugary, ... really hard to describe) infused with resin, pine and grapefruit.

At it's nadir, which is still far above most ales, it's not so sweet. More grassy notes. Almost a fresh garden pea flavor.

It's not the prettiest looking beer but who gives a shit? It's about the aroma, taste and mouthfeel.

I've got a few cans cellared. We'll see how they turn out in a year or so.

11-28-2013 02:12:38 | More by BastardFromABasket