Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Reviews: 1,988 | Hads: 11,151
4.75/5  rDev +1.7%

The beer is excellent overall. A phenomenal nose of citrus starts it off, smooth citrus flavors, cooling and slightly sweet touch the front and mid palate with a trumpet of hoppiness on the finish. A very inviting, thirst quenching, taste-bud delighting IPA. (258 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

How many hops can you cram into a can yet still make it well balanced and insanely crushable? Pretty much the gold standard of ipas. I've tried it in every kind of glassware imaginable but enjoy heady so much more right out of the can. (237 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +1.7%

If the color and head are not impressive enough, the taste is dazzling. Grapefruity, hoppy, raw, full, malty, bitter, smooth are some of the many descriptions that come to kind. A great and complex drink. I am usually jot an IPA fan, but thia beer is in a class of its own. (276 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is an extremely, well-crafted beer. It is wonderfully balanced and well-hopped. Truly made by an Alchemist, or the devil himself.

I now understand why it is the #1 beer on BA. My favorites were always Pliny the Elder and Enjoy by. This one boasts them both. I immediately opened a Pliny to compare while I still had some Heady left at the bottom of my glass. To me, the Heady looks much better. The PtE is clear and the Heady is cloudy with yummy goodness. The Heady smells scrumptious and emits a better aroma. The PtE is crisp and clean and the Heady is complex tasting. PtE is a bit more carbonated than the Heady, however, I believe this Heady is nowhere near as fresh as the PtE. In the end, I love them both.

If I were to be stranded in the mountains for any amount of time and I had to select one of these to keep me company, I would have to select the Heady, and the PtE would be his backup.

Nauseatingly good. (927 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +1.7%

One does not simply quaff Heady Topper. It needs to be enjoyed with complete awareness and yet total relaxation, in the fullness of time, each sip a journey to an exotic Roger Dean-esque alien landscape, where you sit beneath a strangely geometric tree, listening to the far-off flesh-eating birds chirping, and think, "This couldn't get any weirder. Well, maybe if I were tripping, too." (388 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +1.7%

Its the complete package. Had my first can last night at One Mile House which they were serving for their anniversary. Actually ordered a Maine Lunch first upon seeing it on their extensive beer list. They have it on tap. After taking my first sip I noticed the guy next to me drinking a Heady Topper out of the unmistakable can. I was shocked and immediately order one - now double fisting a heady topper and a main lunch. The rest is between me and my taste buds, but all of the accolades here are spot on. (511 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Finally got my hands on some of this, first off let me say this beer is awesome. The second you open the can you are hit with an explosion of hops.

Everything about this beer screams DIPA

Definitely one of the top 3 IPAS I've had!

The questions is Pliny the Elder vs. Heady

Verdict HEADY TOPPER (298 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +1.7%

Was lucky enough to take a trip up to Stowe and Burlington last weekend. As a non-hophead this is incredibly drinkable. The bitterness does not destroy your tastebuds like most DIPAs and the taste is fantastic. I came across it in a liquor store later in the day and bought the limit for an individual. (305 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +1.7%

Smuggled some Cans down to my surf lodge in Nicaragua. YEAH BUDDY!
A Perfect IPA. Perfect Bitterness, Perfect Hop Flavor and Aroma - DANK, Citrus, Piney, Resin. The creaminess mouthfeel is what puts this over the top as well. One of my favorite beers. (251 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +1.7%

Out of the can as instructed. Great, consistent hoppy flavor. Terrific enhancer of sharp cheddar resting on tongue. Makes cheese pop and the finish of this ADIPA holds up. Very drinkable. (191 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Drinking straight from the can, as instructed.

A: It is a good can. The aesthetics of the font and the illustration are pleasing, and I dig the black tab. One of the best can designs I've seen for a beer, so I'm rating it accordingly.

S: Upon cracking the can open, I'm getting waves of pineapple, orange juice, lemon, piney resin, and some apricot, with no one scent overpowering the other.

T: Wow! Very juicy, but not overwhelmingly so. Citrusy notes of grapefruit, orange, lemon, and apricot all flow out of the can and coat the palette in a perfect harmony. There is a slight bitter hop tinge towards the finish, which is when the light, well balanced malt comes in for a smooth finish.

M: Incredibly smooth, medium bodied with a lighter carb level than I'd expect for a DIPA, but it works. The smoothness of this beer is, for me, what helps it excel to the top of the top 250. Very little alcohol presence, making this an exceptional easy drinker.

O: A superb beer that deserves it's high demand, and one that I'll be jealous of not being able to get easily once my allotment is gone. #1? Eh, maybe... I prefer Pliny, but that's just my personal taste, and I would never, ever turn down the opportunity to get more Heady in my fridge. (1,244 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have one person to thank for this mrKennedy what a brilliant unexpected bday present you are the man and I know they say drink out the can but this definitely deserves a glass and pours a cloudy pineapple juice hue with a fluffy cloud like three finger head and lacing everywhere looks so inviting,the smell is pineapples,piney hops,tangerines,grapefruit and a tonne of Valencia oranges,the mouthfeel is perfectly carbonated and medium bodied with tastes of pineapples,mangoes,grapefruit,tangerines and finished with a soft citrus bittersweetness and overall what a sublime AIPA it's right up there with the best I've tried and just wish this and the rest of their range was available here cheers. (699 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +1.7%

This is a really good beer. The can says to drink from the can, so who am I to disobey a direct order. I can't really judge the appearance this way, but the can has a cool design. The smell is a certain citrusy aroma with hints of the can mixed in the smell. The taste is perhaps the most balanced DIPA. the hops are not overpowering, and the flavor is exceptionally complex. Flavors of grapefruit, pine, and a sour hop flavor come to the forefront. The most remarkable element is the smooth mouthfeel. One might even say it goes down soft. The aftertaste does not limit the experience, but takes it in a different direction. The citrusy flavors sweeten like candy. Most DIPAs express punch of bitter hops at this point, so this was surprising and refreshing. This beer is definitley worth the hype. (799 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I finally got to try this thanks to a coworker who got some in a trade. I drank it from the can as directed. It was very good, however, I feel this beer should not still be at #1. I had Pliny the Elder a week ago and liked it a lot more. But, fwiw, I think I like FW Double Jack more than this, so do what you will with this review. (332 characters)

look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance- Poured about 6oz into a snifter before drinking the rest from the can. Pours a hazy yellow-orange with an inch of head that quickly fades to a film of bubbles on the surface. Some sediment but this pour was off the top of the can so it isn't bad.

Smell- If my world could smell like one thing it would be Heady Topper. I get some pine up front then just waves of juicy tangerine and a little alcohol.

Taste- Again, waves of hop flavor come through to the point where it is hard to pick out individual notes. The bitterness is pretty subdued which is amazing for the amount of hops used. I don't get pine in the taste just more juicy fruit and a little sweetness.

Mouthfeel- Medium to full mouthfeel. I get stickiness that allows the flavor to linger but not necessarily the resiny mouthfeel of some other DIPA. Moderate carbonation..

Overall- I don't think there is anything quite like this. I would describe it as liquid hop extract without the bitterness. Just juicy and delicious plus with 16 ounces at 8% you have a nice little buzz afterwards. Can is right, it is so drinkable it's scary. (1,110 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I followed the rules and drank from the can. The can appearance is intriguing by itself.

This beer is what got me into craft beer and specifically doubles. The smell was bright and citrusy. It kept coming before, after, and during every sip. I may have spent more time smelling the beer than actually drinking it. Totally unique.

Like biting into an explosive, carbonated starfruit. So many citrus and floral flavors going on.

More carbonated than I am used to in a beer. This, however, allows more taste to penetrate the palate.

Overall, this is my favorite beer of this style. I look forward to every opportunity to have another. Please allow access to this hop combination for a long, long, time. A blind tasters dream. (730 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +1.7%

Big thanks to merc7186 for picking up a few cans of this for me...

A: Pours a wonderful cloudy yellowish pink. It reminds me specifically of grapefruit juice. There is a full finger of pure white puffy foam that settles fairly quickly. Some lacing as it drinks.

S: This beer has some serious citrus, a good amount of pine, and a mild underlying sweetness. There are some fruit notes and herbal tea in there as well. It's really pleasent.

T: Mmm. This is awesome. It's juicy citrus, herbal tea, and pine. Wow. I'm amazed by how smooth this beer is. Tons of flavor, but very little harsh hop bite or booze. It's really enjoyable.

M: Medium bodied beer. The citrus and tea envelop the palate to start, but it fades in the middle as the pine comes on strong. The finish is bitter, and it lingers for a bit, but it's never overwhelming.

O: This beer is pretty fantastic. I was expecting a lot, and it delivered. I only have one can left, and I want more immediately! Road trip to VT... anyone?

Side Note: I never took the "drink from the can" seriously, but it's legit. Maybe it's just mental, but it tastes better straight from the can. (1,138 characters)

look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Got two cans from MPLSbrewer. Decided to pour one for the review.

A= Pours a beautiful golden yellow color with a nice two fingers of head that holds some steady retention and lacing.

S= The smell is amazing. Tons and tons of hops. It smells like hop candy to be honest. Waves of flavor and amazingness comes over my nose. Resinous and fruity. I've honestly never smelled an IPA quite like this one before.

T= The taste is similar to the nose. The can says that it's not ment to be the most over the top IPA in the world and it definitely isn't. It's a beautiful mix of sweet and bitter. He hops come through with a pineapple like sweetness and just enough bitterness. I really can't explain the taste besides awesome.

M= Smooth and creamy. They didn't over hop it at all.

O= I wasn't expecting much from this beer to be honest. I figured it would be just another super hoppy IPA. This is a unique beer however. It transcends most IPAs in the way that the hops are so flavorful and fruity. This beer is better than I expected somehow. I can't explain it really. Worth seeking out and trying over and over. (1,111 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'm so glad that angrybabboon could provide me plenty of these for the coming weeks. I've already had this once, but I'm reviewing it today 15 days since canning day - about the widely considered perfect time to drink this. For this review, I got a bit experimental. I love how this is in the can, but I poured it alongside in a glass and reviewed both side by side - half in the glass, with the other half in the can. Poured into a teku glass.

A:
Can: Has a silver label with a fun, delightful illustration showing what could be the brewmaster himself demonstrating the wonderful hoppy things to come. Not having this in the glass is the only downside of drinking this out of the can, but I can live with that.
Glass: Pours a sunset orange amber complete with a frothy as hell, bubbly head. I left the sediment in the can, so it looks slightly hazy with a good deal of floaties. Patches of carbonation streak the glass's edges, as does lacing. Head eventually vanishes, with very frothy bubbles remaining at the sides. Slightly hazy without the extra gunk. Looks very pretty and rustic, and very much near perfect in its presentation as a full-bodied, rich DIPA.

S:
Can: Huge, earthy, hoppy citrus rind zest immediately captivates my nose, with slight tropical fruits to boot. Guava, papaya, oranges, limes, lemons, hop vine mineral-y characteristics, as well as a pungent, floral finish. This has everything you'd expect in the style, only incredibly well spread out and balanced. No metallic aftertaste from the can. Yeasty phenols are all out here, in in a way that's delightfully funky yet sharp and robust. Cannot smell any alcohol, although there is a slight sweetness underneath. No malts or grains here - the hops are completely victorious. Absolutely unlike any DIPA I've ever had.
Glass: It's incredible how much this loses a lot of the hoppy, resinous profile when poured in the glass. While there's still a strong, sharp flavor of well dried citrus notes, and maybe some apricot and grassiness, a lot of the tropical flavors are pretty much gone, and the malty flavor is far more present, in a classic East Coast, caramel/toffee profile. Slightly funky and rustic for sure, but a lot of that initial earthy flavor has definitely been lost.

T:
Can: I think the first time I ever took a sip of HT straight out of the can, my head exploded. This is unbelievably good and lives up to every bit of hype. Right at the front of the tongue there's a juicy, creamy, completely refreshing cascade of hoppy and fruity flavors, ranging from oranges to lemons to mangoes to papaya and pineapple in a way that seems to last forever. TONS of grapefruit. However, rather than feel sweet and overwhelming, these fruity phenols are immediately followed by a pungent, dank, earthy flavor in the sense that takes you to the core of the hop aromas in a fresh, lively, and robust manner. Some slight butterscotch, maybe even toffee aromas follow, but the hops do their job and finish in a ridiculously astringent manner to the point of nearly tying up the tongue in knots, only to release and reveal the smoothened creaminess from the well carbonated feel of the beer, thickness of the malts and oils, and well accentuated alcohol bite that goes down well and warms up the throat in the long run. Thick, hearty, juicy, and pretty much fabulous. It's not balanced, but it's flawless as far as great drinking experiences go. Never thought I'd ever say it, but here we are.
Glass: Out of the glass, it's delicious as well, although you get far less of those earthy flavors, as expected. The only difference otherwise is it feeling a little bit more balanced and allowing the malty syrupy feel to meld with the remaining hop oils, which still gives it the impression of being a full-bodied and well integrated beer. Less tropical notes too, although there's a delightful grassy flavor that sticks around and combines very well with the citrus. Definitely more mellow than out of the can, but still world class.

It's clear that the full experience of this beer lies in the can, and it's definitely how I'll be drinking my Heady Toppers from now on, regardless of how pretty it looks to me. This is really an experience unlike any other, and while it remains an world class beer in the glass... Out of the can, it's utterly mind blowing with all of its flavor, earthy nuances, and scarily drinkable qualities. Do seek it out. It's simultaneously glorious and humble. It's super flavorful but never overwhelming. It's designed for anyone to enjoy of any background, if they enjoy a good beer. Absolutely brilliant.

UPDATE (1/6/2014): I pitted this against some other DIPAs of similar nature (no Pliny), and this was the loser overall. All were about 2 months old. This is really good, but best consumed fresh - it becomes more piney and funky over time, and loses a lot of its fresh squeezed juicy flavors that I enjoy in the style. Worth seeking out, but make sure you know the date! (4,973 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +1.7%

As instructed, drank from the can.

As mentioned on said can, this was waves and waves of hops. Bitter grassy, herbal up front, and crisp transition to a full mouthful of dry hop explosion on the finish. Lingers like no other. Intense without losing its identity as a brew. Not over-hyped in the least. (308 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +1.7%

Big thanks to both Mtardiff & BearsonAcid for providing this one. In one week I went from never having this beer to clutching 6 cans in my hand. This is the last of the six and needless to say, I’ll be getting more…. Somehow. Great beer. In fact, this review is being done with ½ the can in a glass and ½ being consumed out of the can. After all, that’s what the brewer tells you to do. (drink it from the can)

A finger of off white foam forms and settles rather quickly. The beer appears to be a slightly hazy almost dirty amber color. Dirty used as in dirty blonde. Doesn’t mean really dirty.. just a more brownish tone to is. Some very light lacing.

The aroma is fantastic, bright and fresh. Lots of citrus notes with some light malt notes just below the surface. Some grassy tones as well.

Flavor is also really nice. It’s a good thing when a beer lives up to the hype. Despite the big hop notes, it’s really well balanced. Up front lots of fruit and some sweetness. Tangerine and a moment of mango. Some grass notes and quite a bit of thick resin. Citrus comes in mid palate and a nice bitterness takes over from there. Smooth, yet bitter finish.

Almost a honey like mouth feel, medium bodied and a bit oily. Sticks in your mouth.

Just a well built beer. Keep cranking out those cans. I love this. Next trip to VT, I’ll be picking up a case. (1,368 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +1.7%

A- Cloudy and ugly peach colored body with tons of floaters. Head is a big frothy white color that leaves a ton of lacing. It makes sense that they want you to drink this out of a can.

S- Huge aroma of hop resin. Tons of citrus fruits with grapefruit coming through the most. Definitely a pine and herbal note in the nose as well. Tough to get better than this aroma.

T- Hops, hops and more hops. Grapefruit up front that gives way to huge tropical fruit flavors like pineapple and guava.

M- Medium to high carbonation levels with a huge bite. Flavor allows it to be very drinkable.

O- Certainly one of the best IIPAs out there. Surprisingly different from Pliny and Hopslam in a good way. (693 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The hype of this beer made me want it. Got it on a beer trade from a bloke in nj. Opened the can and dug my nose in it... So delicious. Super hop aroma and pine. Put a chug in my mouth and swished it around like scope and put it down. Then came. Nothing more. (259 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I've had 3 cases of this stuff to myself now. It is very good. Being from CA, my comparison point is Pliny. They're next to identical in every way, except appearance. Great beer, better out of the can than in it. If you were blindfolded, it'd be hard to tell the difference between the two. As a person that has been fortunate to acquire so much and share it friends, trust me...it's overrated. (394 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +1.7%

Big ups to woodchopper for hooking me up

16oz can poured into a pint glass

Appearance : very cloudy golden color. A nice one finger white head forms after a less than aggressive pour that slowly dissipates to sticky lacing

Smell : lots of wonderful evergreen and pine tree aromas. Lots of pineapple and orange citrus aroms also abound

Taste : flavor is spot on one the most easy beer to fall in love with. Tons of orange citrus flavors and pineapple dominant. Finishes with mild hop bitterness. Strong malt backbone adds a pleasant sweetness

Mouthfeel : medium bodied brew with pleasant carbonation

Overall : I really love to drink this beer quickly I just can't seem to sip this one. I suggest drinking this one in a big gulps. Every BA owes it to themselves to seek this beer out. Make sure to get your self a 4pak because one is not enough (850 characters)

Heady Topper from The Alchemist