Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Reviews: 1,995 | Hads: 11,168
4.89/5  rDev +4.7%

Yes I have enjoyed it straight from the can, but today I am reviewing in a glass.

Pours a straw colored gold, mostly clear with a little bit of haze. Foamy white head on top begins to fall quickly. Decent lacing.

Intensely pungent grapefruit aroma explodes out of the glass. You can smell it from 5 feet away. All citrus here, rich and thick in the air. Just a hint of malty sweetness underneath reminds me this in not in fact a freshly sliced grapefruit.

Sweet malt on the palate with sharp grapefruit citrus dominating the taste buds. Smooth even though my mouth is drenched in sweet citrus. There is hop bitterness in there but I forget all about it as I swim through the rich grapefruit flavors.

Slightly dry finish, crisp grapefruit aftertaste. Clean citrus lingers on the palate long after the previous sip.

There is an underlying sweetness to this beer that keeps it from being a straight up grapefruit bomb, but it finishes dry and it is not cloying. Extremely refreshing and nearly overwhelming with hop flavors - if there was a flavor I would want to drown in this would be it. (1,092 characters)

4.52/5  rDev -3.2%

My buddy went up to Vermont this past month and was lucky enough to pick up a 6pack for himself and gave me one!

A-Two finger head dissipated quickly back into the beer. Not to much lacing going on either. Unfiltered beer with a off amber brown color. Looks heady for a unfiltered double IPA!

S-Earthy grapefruit aroma dominates. Mild lemon/citrus notes with the caramel malts behind it all. Smells great!

T-Get hops throughout the whole palate. The hops arent too overwhelming however. Everything is cohesive until the end where the hops hit the back of the tongue. Leaves great after taste. Get all that earthy citrus hops found in the nose. Has a nice caramel malt profile to help subdue the hoppiness in this beer!

M-Has great mouthfeel. Love unfiltered beers. Slighty chewy. Good carbonation in this.

O-Great beer. Has everything you are looking for in a double IPA! Only thing that its lacking is in the appearance with the minute head retention. As long as the beer smells appetizing and taste good I am happy so nothing to worry about in this beer! (1,061 characters)

4.55/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Rob for acquiring this one. Really cool can, by the way, although I didn't heed the advice to drink from it.

Poured a very hazy orange with a big billowing head that receeded slowly with ample lacing.

Pine and ripe tropical fruit in the smell, and that's where the ride started and it didn't end until the glass was emptied, or nearly emptied sans the heavy sedimentation that had settled into the bottom of the glasses. Smells of pine, tropical fruits, peppery even..almost like the faint cordite that lingers in the air after fireworks.

Flavors of tropical elements, also mint, sap resin, canteloupe, star fruits, watermelon rind..this fella is chaotic, but oh it's flavorful. Hints of the alcohol poking through. Mouthfeel is firm and zesty, excellent carbonation, very well crafted.

This one takes you for quite a ride but in the end it's simply refreshing and tasty.

Very nice. (898 characters)

A - An awesome can - Drink from it.

S - A Beautiful strong sweet Smell

T - Hoppy explosion with gusto and wisdom

M - crisp and refreshing

O - It's simply the best 2xIPA out there.... I had a fun time tasting the beer in Waterbury and meeting the crew. Its a great beer made by good people. Enough said. (306 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +0.9%

A - An orange, almost amber color. Quite cloudy. Limited carbonation.

S - Amazing smell. Rich and full of fruits. I immediately get pineapple (SImcoe?), mango, and pine. THe smell is luscious almost.

T - Same as the smell, with just a bit of hop bitterness, and a little bit of alcohol warming. But all very well balanced, with hop flavor taking center stage. The malt sweetness is there to balance it out also. This almost like eating a slice of peach pie - but also nothing like that. Frankly, it's delicious. There are no flaws at all.

M - Medium, definitely low carbonation, I would have preferred the carb just a tad higher; but maybe that would have masked the flavor.

O - If you can, please try this beer. I live on the right coast and don't trade, so I haven't been privy to Pliny, but it would be hard for me to imagine it being any better. (857 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +6.4%

Between the Alchemist, Hill Farmstead, and Lawson's Finest, I feel very lucky to live in VT! IPAs are my favorite style of beer, but I usually find DIPAs to be too strongly tasting of alcohol. This beer is incredibly smooth and drinkable despite its high alcohol content and potent hopping. The smell of the heady topper alone is delicious, and the taste is even better, with passionfruit, mango, and piney hop aromas. The heady topper delivers the ultimate hops experience! (474 characters)

4.47/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured from a 16oz can into a Sam Adams nucleation glass. Thanks DonFrap for including it in the last trade.

A - pours a light orange with a one finger eggshell colored head that dissipates within minutes. It's really cloudy and looks more like chill haze cloudiness than non-filtered cloudiness. A fair bit of sediment apparent.

S - this is where this beer shines in my eyes. A hop explosion filled with tropical notes dominating(mango, pineapple and grapefruit) with a touch of pine. Oranges. A fair amount of alcohol/booze detected in the aroma.

T - hop dominated/hop forward as apparent in the nose. Same hops(appears to be lots of Simcoe) in the taste as in the nose. A fairly clean, firm bitterness lingers. Slightly boozy. A little letdown compared to the aroma, but still an excellent hoppy beer.

M - on the medium-light side.

D - not as easy to drink as I expected. The hight bitterness and boozy aspcect hinder the drinkability.

Overall, a very fine beer. I think the hype factor drives up the ratings of this guy a little, but it's very very good. A little more boozy than I liked for the fairly low IIPA 8%abv. The appearance turned me off a bit - it's almost like the brewery knows they hit on all the other aspects and got lazy with the visuals. Glad I got to try it and will pick some up when I have the opportunity. (1,340 characters)

4.38/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drank from my Gulden Draak tulip.

Big thanks to Nick6217

A - Pours a nice cloudy honeycomb colour with a thick frothy head that stays around. Beautiful colour.

S - Heaps of piney hop, and small green grape.

T - Nice hoppy flavour up front with a mango flavour. Reasonable malty finish with no hint of booze.

M - Medium to full body with medium carbonation

O - Very enjoyable beer, past its best but still very drinkable (425 characters)

Two cans, one poured, the other straight up. Poured has a nice white head, no lacing. The smell is piney and flowery. The taste is totally raw and bitter, sweet upfront and that's the end, except for a chalky dry aftertaste. It's greasy with a good amount of fizz. Why is a beer like this necessary? (299 characters)

thank you.

A--the first time i had this beer it was actually on tap at blind tiger several months ago.
i was meeting a friend who works up the street from the tiger, and i had been at some museums all day fucking around.
i had no idea that the tiger did VSK on mondays; that is, a very special keg--had i known, i would've had my ass in there a lot earlier.
i was five or so minutes late to meet my buddy for 6pm, so when i entered he was already there, set up close to the door as it was crammed in the joint.
entering i noticed two things: 1) it was SO PACKED. it's near a happy hour of sorts probably, and everyone is still in here drownin' a glass or five, i thought. and 2) everyone, i mean EVERYONE, was swirling, smelling, even quaffing, what looked like a flame held within a lantern. it was, however, a tulip of some cloudy, intensely bright orange liquid.
my friend, as well, was holding one, and before salutations, he just stuck it in my face, "drink!"
i could not, however, get over the color, which really looked like a flame lantern.
i did the obligatory swirl and sniff. and drank. it altered, startled me. he said, "heady topper!"
NO WAY.
i tell this story, because, since that day, i've had a lot of this beer, yet each of those subsequent experiences were from out of the can.
i have not viewed the appearance of this beer ever since, and due to that amazing experience and the brewers' directions, unless it's tapped, i will not ever again.

S--MANGO. mangoes gone mad; over-, over-ripened lemons and oranges; the earthy rinds of oranges and lemons; grass and grass; the hop madness of chinook, simcoe, centennial. potent.

T--it's like juice. it's so unbelievably refreshing. i'd have this after a run. not too bitter, earthy, piney, biting, aggressive, yet it is all of those things at the same time. it is one of the most pleasant IPAs i've had despite being one of the most hoppy. citrusy, like lemon, grapefruit galore, orange. the mango, tropical flavor profile rocks your shit, too.

M--Smooth. so refreshing. not a hop milkshake, which is the definitive separation in comparison with the west coast DIPAs. they are so thick, they're fatty--i have found this to be true with MAINE BREW CO., LAWSON'S, etc also. this is smooth as silk despite its profile. amazing.

O--and out of the coolest tall boy i've ever seen. (2,348 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +1.1%

scored a couple 4-packs and smuggled them back to PA. pint can into flying dog tulip. no canned on date.

A: a very hazy body that is a pale orange color. head is white, but not bright. big bubbles. good retention and lacing. almost too hazy, but i guess it must be fresh then.

S: pine. grapefruit. very inviting. kiwis. melon. but mostly pine. lots and lots of pine. very good.

T: a very american hop profile is thorough. the palate is actually sticky. enough sweet malt/caramel flavor is back there, but just detectable towards the finish. a little vanilla? bitterness lingers into the finish but is not over-cloying.

M: mild carbonation on a full bodied IPA.

D: like the can says, dangerously drinkable. hands down top 3 DIPA's i can just pick up and enjoy several without being overwhelmed. just lovely. (816 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +5.8%

This is incredible stuff, this beer was drank mostly from the can... only poured a sample of it out to enjoy the orange yellow color of it with a nice looking white head on top. Had a nice unfiltered cloudiness to it also. The smell of the beer is very hoppy, lots of pine aromas in it with the delicate floral and citrusy notes in there as well. The taste is probably worthy of a 5.5 honestly. There is no doubt that this has some of the best transitions of flavors I've had from any IPA. There is a huge rush of floral sweet citrus notes on the tongue in the very beginning, as the liquid settles there is a very subtle burst of malts on the tongue right before the aggressive pine resin starts to claw away at your taste buds. The mouthfeel is smoothly carbonated making this beer very easy to drink, it's medium bodied and has a nice dry finish to it. Overall this is something very special, The people up at Alchemist aren't screwing around here, they are setting out to make the best IPA in the world and I would say that they just might have it. This is a beer I would drive to Vermont to get cases of. I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. Looking forward to drinking the next 3 in the pack. (1,193 characters)

4.67/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to a great friend for sharing with me.

Nice frothy snow white head, leaves brief sheets of lacing down glass. Opaque orangish hue with a charming rustic feel to it.

WOWY WOW WOW WOW! This is a citrus bomb in a can, me likey. Orangey pineapple mango piney resony goodness.

This like an adult version of a creamcicle, abundant sweet orange grapefruity goodness. Packs a wallop on the bitterness too. Touch of booze (in a good way) gives way to a hint of grainy malt. Long citrus finish and smoooth bittering.

Creamy smooth with excellant carbonation.

Loved it, ranks up with the exsellant boyking batches and the pliney I had last fathers day. I need a friend in that part of the country to ship. (706 characters)

4.59/5  rDev -1.7%

A: golden straw colored with a light eggshell colored head

S: smelled strongly of hops, also scents of grass, citrus, lemongrass, light scents of orange peel

T: the taste of fresh hops really come through, with hints sweet pine and grass each sip starts off lightly sweet and ends crisp and bitter

M: great balanced mouthfeel, on the thinner side considering an 8% abv

O: overall a great D-IPA, very well balanced not too much alcohol taste, perfect on a hot summer day, wish it was more readily available (510 characters)

I got no bad words about it. But this is theee best beer that I ever drink in my holler life of travelling the world. And I have to say that the alchemist brewery did an exceptional job on this unique beer. For those that can handle the heady topper, maybe you should try the walden. That is a brew made by the alchemist and hill farm brewery together. Very similar to heady topper but much lite. I wish the alchemist made more then 1800 cans of week so that other stores closer to my house would be able to have them.
Thank you. (529 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -18%

Sorry, I had to pour into the glass despite the can's pleading to drink directly. Thick, slowly receding head. Leaves plenty of chunky, blanketing lace. Cloudy, dark gold color.

Very strong evergreen hop smell. Prickly with a touch of citrus rind. Like smelling a bag of hop pellets.

Extraordinarily bitter. Starts off fairly neutrally with a bit of mild pale malt. Still this is a bitter, bitter hop bomb. Be prepared to pucker up. Hop heads shall rejoice, but I think this might be too much of a good thing (and I lean towards more hoppy beers). The body is predictable and appropriate for the style.

I was very excited to find this beer in Boston, but its hype exceeds my expectations. (692 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +6.4%

As instructed, I drank this AMAZING beer directly from the can as well as from a tulip glass. Hands-down, no-doubt one of my Top 3 IPAs of all-time...

Appearance - 4.5 only because the beer does show a lot of sediment that settles at the bottom of the can/glass, but I actually love a beer that has a little "meat on the bones". After pouring in a tulip glass, there was a 2 finger, slightly off-white, tight bubble formation head.

Smell - OUT OF THIS WORLD! There are huge wafts of pineapple and grapefruit to this beer. Heady Topper has an uncanny ability to perfectly mesh the fruit scent with fresh, piney hops. If I were a Genie, I would love to live in this can as my bottle.

Taste - Explosion of hops that resonates in your mouth, perfectly balanced by the slightly-bready malts. And when I say "balanced", I am generously favoring the highly-potent fruity hoppy goodness of this beer. A MUST have. I forgot to mention, one can't even taste the whopping 8% ABV from this beer due to its' heavenly hops.

Mouthfeel - This unpasturized beer has a medium-bodied mouthfeel. Certainly not as light as your typical APA/IPA or as heavy and thick as a Porter/Bock, etc... but it does feel semi-dry after drinking. Mouthfeel and Appearance are overwhelmed by this beer's IMMENSE smell and taste.

Overall, in my opinion, any beer connoisseur needs to add this beer to their beer-"bucket list"... ESPECIALLY for hopheads. (1,421 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +6.4%

Yesterday, HT was a beer I hoped to try some day. Today, after a tasting, HT is the best beer I've ever had. Thanks to Brandon for sharing a 4-pack, of which I greedily and surreptitiously consumed more than my fair share.

Utterly blown away that a beer can be this hoppy, this alcoholic, and this smooth and easy to drink. The first sip almost made me cry. There is not a lot I can add after 750+ reviews that hasn't been said. Is there such a thing as perfection? I don't know. But if perfection means a beer can't be improved on, this might be perfect. I don't know how you improve on it....except to relocate the Alchemist to Minnesota so I have easy and frequent access to it.

A day later I'm still thinking about this beer and trying to figure out how to get some. I suppose this is the way junkies feel about heroin. I wonder if that stuff's any good....

I'm agnostic, but if there is a (non-Mormon) God, may he bless the Alchemist, and watch over them so they can keep making this incredible beer. (1,010 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +3.2%

What a beer!!!
Could not help, but to pour it for a review.
It has a cloudy medium gold color and builds a creamy white head, witch leaves good lacing.
The smell is full of citrusy, fruity and flowery hops.
The taste is an incredible abundance of hop flavors, yet balanced be just enough malt, not to be overpowering. Great mouthfeel and drinkability makes this one probably the best I have tasted yet.
Fantastic beer and I think my personal beer high score!!! (460 characters)

4.43/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Reviewed as drank from the can, as it is made abundantly clear that this is the way to drink it.

A - Since I've had this before and poured it into a glass, and I'm forced to give an appearance score, AND I'm not inclined to base an appearance score off of can art, I recall it being good as far as head, color, and lacing, but a bit cloudy, likely since the can makes it hard to see when to stop pouring to keep the sediment out of the glass.

The rest of this review is from the current can.

S - You get a hint of complex hop aroma from the mouth of the can that smells quite good, but it is obscured by the metallic smell of the can. Points off for that.

T - Whoa. This is the best tasting IPA I've had. It manages to be dank, resiny, citrusy, bright, and with enough of a backbone to not have the hops overwhelm. The hops linger for a minute or so, and then they give way to the honey malt flavor, which lingers a good while longer. You can't really peg a particular hop flavor on this one; the hop profile is far too complex, but it melds together so well that you get all of the flavors without anything sticking out as unbalanced or out of place. Truly remarkable.

M - Nice carbonation, not thick by any means. Perfect mouthfeel to deliver the experience.

O - This is a wonderful beer, head and shoulders above any other IIPA I've had. It loses points for the can thing not really being my bag, and because the amazing flavors don't quite translate to the nose, but this is still the IIPA that beats all the others. Totally worth the hype, and worth seeking out. This beer was painstakingly crafted to not be too boozy, nor too hoppy, nor too malty, and they've absolutely nailed it. The taste is incomparable for the style. (1,738 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +0.6%

Had on Tap at the Blind Tiger some months back... from notes

A- Cloudy orange appearance with some good head developed. Looks like grapefruit juice that has settled and is sitting out.

S- Tons of tropical fruit smells in the nose. This is a very good smelling DIPA.

T- Love the fact that there isn't too much of that caramel backbone in most DIPAs that I avoid and that the hops are in the forefront of the beer's taste. It's a tad bit unbalanced but I don't mind it if I'm drinking one can but I would have to stop after the 2nd can because the alcohol isn't completely hidden.

M- Heavy, almost syrupy beer. Love it.

O- This isn't the perfect beer to me. The only issue I have with it is the fact that I can taste the alcohol prominently due to the fact that they put in less malts to balance. It would have killed if it had no alcohol trace like the Pliny but at the same time the taste and nose blows virtually all other DIPAs. But it's still damn tasty but I will stop at only drinking one per session and then focus on a more balanced IPA or DIPA such as what Hill Farmstead occurs. (1,094 characters)

This beer was kind of hard to review. The can is stamped all over with "Drink from can" so that is how I had it. Very hard to rate appearance with a beer in a can. So, I'll give it a 4.0, assuming from the rest of the characteristics that it would look good in a glass.

Aroma coming out the can was almost all grapefruit.

Taste was full of hops, yet had a nice caramel base underneath that really added balance. Very citrusy, some pine and cut grass.

Mouthfeel was very thick. Lots of hop-oils that left a lasting sticky, dry feeling.

Overall, I liked this beer a lot - not sure about drinking from the can instead of pouring into a glass, however that is how the brewer recommended so who am I to argue? (709 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +5.4%

App: well, it says right on the can to drink it from the can! So I did. But for review sake, I poured half of it in a glass to look at it. Appears pale yellow, light orange, cloudy, low carbonation, slight lacing, the way I envision an IPA, like it should be, not deep orange.

Smell: a bouquet of hops! This beer has an incredible blend of flowery, aromatic hops, bitterness is there but at a minimum.

Taste: not too bitter at all but the best blend of hops I have ever had. There's a veiled sweetness, but the palate is completely enticed by the hop, citrus, and floral profile. If I didn't know any better I would say it has a "cannabis" flavor.

Mouthfeel: for it's style, excellent. Low carbonation lends itself to an astringency. But there's also a classic lager maltiness that keeps it down to earth. If there's ANY downside, just a wee bit hoppy, but I'm not complaining.

Overall: hard to argue that Heady Topper is the best Double IPA I have ever had or will have. I've had good one's but I have to agree with my fellow beer aficianados out there...WOW! (1,065 characters)

My first review of a beer I choose this one, kindly sent fresh from the northeast. I preface, this offering is being tasted on an afternoon where, sometime following this review i will be trying my first Pliny TE (having arrived simultaneously).. Heady Topper: As a lover of American craft brew for 3 years and having tried, in my mind, a good deal of DIPA's (considering I didn't become a craft beer advocate until relocating to Texas oddly enough), I am more than enthusiastic about this tasting.The hop bouquet is blowing my mind, and in a well-balanced way. Expectations of this beer are met and slightly exceeded (they were phenomenal expectations prior to sampling). Pineapple/ citrusy greatness abounds. With this beer it seems as if I've never appreciated the mouthfeel of this style until now. There is no drawback here. Tasty beyond belief. Balance is impeccable, yet i need to stress how the hops flourish here... is this Simcoe and Citra? Well i dont know, that I wonder though. Anyway out of curiosity I poured a bit less than 1/4 of the can into a Chimay chalice for a visual. I really appreciate an unfiltered IPA made well (prior to this my affinity was for the now-shelved DFH Squall). Im liking the look of murky golden when I know everything else about it is sublime. The lacing with Heady is incredible, and again lacing is something I continue to appreciate but with this beer in a glass it was sticky city (and this from a beerman who spot cleans his glassware well). But yes I have to agree with the brewmastery of Alchemist where the recommendation is to drink from the can. Yes you will surely love it in glassware, but if you love true hop heaven, you will be best to press lips to aluminum. (1,717 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks cam!!!!

A - Unfiltered and unpasteurized is, I guess, what makes this beer so cloudy. But yeah, it's basically an opaque amber kind of color with a substantial white head that leaves a thick film. Really good looking.

S - Tropical fruits, citrus (orange), grass. It's a complex nose and very dynamic with temperature.

T - A good fruity flavor that has just a perfect amount of balancing bitterness. It's sweet (pineapple), for sure, and like the nose, different characteristics come to the fore as it warms. A really well balanced and complex drink

M - It's definitely got a full body to it, but it's not too thick. It's very smooth, and a touch drying

O - Look. My memory's not great, but this is one the best hoppy beers I've had. I wish I could stock my fridge all the time with it. It really approaches perfection as much as you can reasonably expect something to. It's a benchmark kind of beer. (912 characters)

Heady Topper from The Alchemist