Heady Topper - The Alchemist

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Reviews: 2,071 | Hads: 11,561
4.83/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Not perfect, but the most drinkable DIPA I've had. Beautiful beer with a huge aroma that fills a room, the taste does not quite follow the aroma (which may make it more drinkable) and the feel is a bit thinner than I'd like for a DIPA (also, making it more drinkable). Could crush these all day if Vermonter's weren't so selfish!

4.69/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

had a friend of a friend ship a few cans of heady out to chicago.

drank it from the can. smelled of citrus, pine, floral. tasted like it smelled. went down so smooth. great beer, obviously one of the best dipa's out there.

4.84/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I was lucky enough to have this in the same flight as Pliny the Younger. It held up too. Nice taste and nose, but after a long day of tasting, I couldn't quite put my finger on the aftertaste that I was getting. I think it was the combo of pine and orange.

Wow lives up to the hype, just a delicious beer straight from the can, doesn't get better had this fresh like 3 days fresh and honestly I can see how this beer redefines DIPA's there is nothing else like this.

4.92/5  rDev +5.6%

Finally, getting to try the legendary Heady Topper. Sent to me by BigStein here on BA. Thanks!

Canned less than 10 days ago, reviewed 8/31/2015

A = Hazy bright orange color, 1 finger of off white head, visible hop sediment in suspension

S = Oh my god... I can smell this from 3 feet away. Popping the tab on the can immediately filled the air with the aroma of sweet fruit juice. Resinous, orangey, piney hops, so juicy and sweet, lots of tropical fruit notes such as mango, papaya, pineapple, maybe some tangerine. This is heavenly.

T = If you had told me this was fruit juice, I would have believed you. Orange, pine, more tropical fruit, coating your tongue in waves of oily, resinous hoppiness. Bitterness is restrained, letting the flavor and aroma of the hops shine through. Malts take a backseat in this beer for sure. Estery alcohols shine through at the end.

M = Slick and wet, super juicy, soft medium mouthfeel. Very drinkable.

O = The hype is real, folks. This beer deserves it's cult status, and I am so happy I was sent not one, but two of these. Worth seeking out and trading for, it's like losing your virginity all over again!

4.9/5  rDev +5.2%

Absolutely amazing...up until now Pliny the Elder was my fave ever...recently a friend and his wife were passing thru Vermont at the right time and I got 36 of these bad boys...opened my first yesterday...just a beautiful beverage. Hoppy, smooth and with an incredible nose, lots of pine and nice lingering hoppy flavour with just a touch of bitterness out the back. I followed the rules and drank from the can...but the next one will be in a glass...

4.81/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Two 16 ounce cans compliments of a beer trade! 1st one poured into a pint glass and second was drank from the can. The first thing I picked up on was the incredible aroma! It smells like orange juice with an earthy pine. Easily one of the best smelling beers I have ever had. It poured a perfect golden/orangish, with a nice solid white head. This was fantastic! Great citrus taste balanced by hops, a hint of creaminess and a clean aftertaste. Easy to see why this has such great reviews. You would never know this was 8.00%. I'm glad I got to try this.

4.76/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Great beer. Shame its so hard to get. Aroma is fruity with resin and pine goodness. The flavor is more pine to me and I think the label is spot on here with...."dense hoppy finish in your mouth. I think that dense and oily mouth feel is the best I've ever had! One of the smoothest and easy drinking IPAs I've had. I'm drinking this side by side with Todd the Axeman and I'm not ashamed to say I prefer the aroma and taste of Todd but the feel of Heady a bit more. I wouldn't turn down either tho.

4.88/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

gold standard for any beer. Excellent hoppy characteristic, perfectly balanced, perfect taste and feel. This beer changed by drinking preference from Scotch/wine to beer

Such an amazing beer! It's so hard for a beer like this to stand up to the hype, but it does.
Beautiful pour, thick head.
Amazing aromas of citrus and pine.
Great mouthful, coats your entire mouth with hoppy goodness
Overall, probably the best beer i have ever had.

4.54/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Glad I was able to enjoy this great beer. Pours great and has a wonderful cloudy orange color. Has a nice juicy pop up front with a smooth creamy finish. Can't wait to get it again.

4.71/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Made the trip up to VT to snag a case of this, and it was worth the drive time. I understand how this beer has stayed on the top of the charts for so long. Great orange color, with citrus not only in the smell but throughout the taste. Definitely a world-class beer

Sublime. .
Might be the best beer I've had in my life.
So drinkable it's crazy is an understatement.
Great color.
Great smell of citrus . pine and floral notes.
Smells of straight buds..
Awesome. . just awesome. . World class action here boys and girls.

3.98/5  rDev -14.6%

Had this a few times, solid brew but a little bit inconsistent (tasted slightly different each time). Would love to go up to VT and get it fresh within hours of it being canned (most of what my beer group brings down to PA is around a week old.

4.35/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The myth, the legend, the Heady Topper. Finally got to try some and I can see the mass appeal.

Ton of orange in this beer, clementines, tangerines, young citrus of all kinds. A really heavy citrus floral nose to it.

Drinks very clean and is so incredibly tasty. Glad I could try some without having to trade away half of my stash for it.

4.61/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I have had this beer too many times to count, and it never fails to disappoint. To consistently brew something this flavorful is crazy. The beer is hazy golden, with nary a floatie in it. The taste explodes with tropical and citrus, but enough hop bitterness to keep it from being a juice bomb. A fantastic beer that everyone should try at least once.

4.99/5  rDev +7.1%

Floral burst as soon as you open the can. Piney taste is forward. A youch of citrus follows. Slo-fade bitterness through the finish. It is a classic that is consistent from can to can.

4.59/5  rDev -1.5%

A- straw nyellow, hints of gold
S- citrus packed with hints of grapefruit , tangerine , pineapple, passionfruit
T- fruity, hoppy, slightly bitter...packed with citrus tang
M- light and not overlly malty sweet
O- great Imperial IPA would highly reccomend for people looking for the more citrusy IPA

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%

Delicious beer. Part of the fun of this is how hard it is to get. I lucked out when we happened to be in Stowe, VT on the day they get their shipment. While it was one of the best double IPA's I've had, I can't call it the best beer in the world as some do. In my humble opinion, I'd put Pliny neck & neck. Cheers.

3.91/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: pours a pale straw yellow color, which is interesting because my friend, another drink it from the can rule breaker said his poured almost orange. A very fine bubbled head that dissipates quickly to a thin line where beer meets glass.

Aroma: whoa. A fruity smell. Almost like apricot nectar or pineapple juice followed with spruce.

Taste: there's that fruitiness again. Maybe a bit tart compared to the nose. A "fresh" flavor. Bitter but not gratuitously so. Not much discernable yeast or malt notes. This is ipa all the way. Hops are the star.

Feel: a thin, somewhat slick, almost oily feel on the pallet. Possibly explains the anemic head. Not off putting, but not rich at all. Again, ipa, period. No nod to head retention or mouth feel necessary. Thats not what this beer is.

Overall: nice balance between that trendy bitterness and some really pleasing, unusual hop flavors. I love the unique flavors and nose this beer shows. Would have preferred a richer experience, but I get it. It's disappointing actually. Such interesting flavors but so little attention to the overall experience. Just guessing these brewers could do even better if they weren't pandering to one dimensional hopheads.

4.53/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

One of the most beautiful looking beers I've ever poured. Cloudy golden orange color with a bright white head. Nose is very fruity with loads of hop. Flavor was not what I expected. I didn't expect as much pine flavor as I got, especially given the citrusy nose. I got more fruit flavor as it wamed though. Feel was spot on. Great carbonation almost champagne like. Good beer but not sure it lived up to the hype.

4.71/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Looks beautiful. Hazy Orange smells just like pulped Orange Juice. High amounts of grapefruit and grapefruit bitterness. Excellent beer, best double ipa? Doubtful

3.18/5  rDev -31.8%

From the can (this gimmick annoys me but for brewer suggestion I will comply)
A: it's in a can dammit what do you think
S: good intense aroma of hoppy bitterness, a tad tart but only ever so slightly
T: quite bitter, if i'm being honest I find the level of bitterness unpleasant in this beer, I suppose a bit piney and earthy, most of the DIPA's that I have had don't truly impress me with the amount of bitterness they claim to have, hint of melon, decent malt presence here but not overpowering, the bitterness is the strongest element present, sweet on the finish after the beer settles out a bit, at this point the hops help the beer remain crisp though the bitterness has dissipated, malt will come through more the more that it sits
M: silky, dry and clean
O: not bad but I really don't see what all of the fuss is about. This is a good DIPA but there are many that are better. Snake Handler from Good People comes to mind immediately. It is quite refreshing though, and of all of the beers that claim to be hoppy and bitter, this is one of the few I've had that actually lives up to the claims it makes in that regard. The flavor evolves (improves if you ask me) gradually as the beer settles, leaving less pine and more citrus notes. Not bad but tremendously over rated (I should note that if you are a hop head you will very much enjoy this beer), I'm sorry but I'll say it again, just not great

While drinking a lovely IPA from "Fiddlehead," the waiter presented an ice cold can (I'd never seen) and instructed, "If you think that was good, try this." With the latency of lightning came a surprise the likes of which I had never before experienced and have yet to duplicate since. Like the picture on the can, simply mind blowing. For a hop loving homo sapient such as myself, there is no beer I would rather have in hand, no commercial graphic that signals ultimate gustatory pleasure is imminent. Across look, smell, taste, and feel, as Billy Crystal might say, "Simply mahvelous, darling." I'd give it a 6, if I could.

4.84/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a glass:

This beer changes greatly when poured from the can into a glass.

In the glass, the beer has a slightly subdued citrus nose that's hard to place. Pineapple, some say. Grass, others say. Orange rind and crushed orange fruit is what I say.

On the palate it is a heavier beer than other DIPAs... an indication of its quality yeast, IMHO. It has the backbone bitterness needed to balance the malt. Finishes a bit dry and without the fatigueing bite of many DIPAs. You can have two cans of this stuff pretty quickly.

From the can:

From the can the aroma is much fruitier, more orange fruit than orange peel. I was more likely to take constant sips when drinking from the can.

When I score more Heady Topper, it's going from the can to my tongue.

Good stuff, not life-changing, but very well made.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist