Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Wants: 6,222
The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros

4.5/5  rDev -4.9%

4.76/5  rDev +0.6%

4.92/5  rDev +4%

3.75/5  rDev -20.7%

4.84/5  rDev +2.3%

4.5/5  rDev -4.9%

4.8/5  rDev +1.5%

Well I finally had a chance to try the infamous Heady Topper. A friend was working in Vermont and came across a 4 pak at, of all places, a gas station convenience store. Well, with great anticipation, we sat down at my home bar, popped the top on a can and away we went. First thing to hit you was the aroma. Piney, hoppy. And that's where it ended for me. This beer is better suited to be an air freshener than a drink. I was sitting there tasting what in my opinion is way over the top flavor finished with bitterness. I just don't see what all the fuss is about. With all of the thousands of beers in the world this is the # 1? Not a chance. In the end I felt like a kid who got a beautifully wrapped gift only to discover a bag of sox or underwear inside. What a bummer.

4.8/5  rDev +1.5%

4.76/5  rDev +0.6%

This beer is so unique and exceptional that it's hard for me to figure out how it was concocted.

A - RUSTIC......cloudy, unfiltered, dark orange hue, glows like the sun when held up to the light.

S - Explosive dank weed and grapefruit......hops that must have been found in another world....unique in every way....never smelled or tasted anything like Heady.

T - Dank weedy citrus upfront following the smell but the hop explosion is ridiculous. I recall thinking of other easy to find IPAs being explosive in taste and smell and when I had Heady for the first time and returned to the beers I've had before it ruined what I thought was once complex.

M - immediate dankness, carbonation and hop explosion that I can only describe as hoppy pop rock grapefruit earthy soil weedy candy in the mouth that lasts for minutes. If you're a wine drinker think high end $100 bottles napa cabernet lingering explosion. This beer changed what I thought a beer could be.

Danger - my new category that I created on my own. Danger is when you have an 8% beer that at first sip you feel like one pint will be just plenty but as you continue to drink you want to sip more frequently and more frequently and the alcohol is so well hidden by the mesh of flavor and mouthfeel that you continue to drink and go back for more until your night is over. Most 8% beers let you know when enough is enough. Heady does not. That's how you get notoriety apparently;)

O - is it the best hoppy ale on the planet? From my experience some days yes and some days top five. Abner certainly is right there, Lawsons too...harder to get and I recall a side by side on draft where i preferred Abner but there's something about scoring those 4 pack cans and bringing them home. Heady is not for beginners in some cases but if you like hops this one will blow your stack.....I'll end by saying that this is the most dangerously drinkable 8% beer I've ever had.

4.84/5  rDev +2.3%