2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Heady TopperHeady Topper

The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA” 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
View: Beers (9) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,197 | Reviews: 1,469 | Show All Ratings:
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.43/5  rDev -6.3%

Thanks to Steve for sending this out.

Poured into pint glass.

Pours 1 finger of beige off-white head. Color is a burnt golden orange. Sediment in the glass.

Aroma: Dank, weedy hops. Onion flavors from what I think is summit hops. Grapefruit citrus. Very hoppy. Very weed-like. Massive hop attack.

Taste: Starts out with a big dank weedy hop bite. Huge hops. Hop resin. A bit of malt shows, but hardly any. Grapefruit citrus. Sticky goodness.

Mouthfeel: Bitter and sticky. Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Ends sticky with a lot of hops.

Overall, this is a really solid DIPA. It is pretty drinkable. A lot of great flavors and very fresh. I had no problems with my glass of this. Good stuff. Thanks Steve!

12-29-2010 00:35:57 | More by mothman
dbrauneis

4.79/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

A: Pours a hazy dark straw yellow in color with some hints of golden yellow and very light amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a finger tall dense and creamy off-white head that slowly reduces to a mottled thick film covering the entire surface of the beer and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Huge aromas of citrus and tropical hops - lots of citrus/grapefruit along with pineapple, mango, and peach tropical aromas. The smell of this beer makes me want to drink it, and want more and more of it.

T: Just like the smell, the taste of this beer is completely dominated by the hops. Moderate to strong flavors of grapefruit/citrus, pineapple, mango, and peach hops with a light amount of bitterness that does not linger. Upfront there is a light amount of malt sweetness.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Extremely smooth and creamy.

O: Poured half the can into a glass for my review and drank the other half from the can as recommended on the can. This is definitely a world class DIPA, great aroma and great flavor...and it comes in a can to top it off. This beer is super easy to drink but I think it could really sneak up on you because the alcohol is very well hidden. Delicious!

09-28-2012 22:18:10 | More by dbrauneis
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

4.78/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A=4: Hazy gold with plenty of yeast floaties, nice white head with plenty of retention, some lacing.

S=5: Just opening the can releases a plethora of grassy aroma that's a bit dank. Poured into the glass and it's still very dank, with mango, nectarine and candied pineapple.

T=4.5: Solid bitterness, but it's not overbearing. Initial hit is a bit briny, but that subsides to mango, papaya and candied pineapple... nectarine, tangerine, sponge toffee and hints of biscuit round out the flavour.

M=4.5: Slightly off-dry and very smooth, with some hop acidty.

O=4.5: Overall this is a really great brew. It doesn't have the assertive, piny, resiny bitterness of some, it's just a pleasant hop bomb. Low cohumulone hops?

HUGE thanks to Rutager!

I've had a couple more cans that were even fresher (without the yeast floaties), and I have to upgrade this review. Although cloudy, it pours with a nice head. Despite the amount of hops, body is incredibly smooth. Best thing in a can?

06-11-2012 03:25:23 | More by Derek
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

4.51/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Against the demands written on the can I poured it into two wine glasses and shared with Steve 28/4/13

A golden orange with a shitload of sediment but not many visible bubbles but a two finger head that hangs out long enough to leave a couple partial ring of lace

S tropical notes of mango, sweet orange, pineapple, grapefruit, and tangerine, lots of pine with just a little caramel giving some balance even though its pretty lopsided, some Flintstone vitamins as it warms, smells great

T even more pine and more rind then the fresh flesh I was smelling, other then that it mimics the smell and that's a good thing for sure

M has a nice weight to it, big bitter snap, a little grit left behind on the gums and a very strong and long finish of rind and pine

O gone in seconds, very drinkable, a great example of the style from start to finish, I want more

one of those beers where even your burps taste good after drinking it, I don't know if its the best in the World but its one of the best DIPA's I've encountered in recent memory and would go far out of my way to acquire more.

04-29-2013 05:03:17 | More by wordemupg
dirtylou

Washington

4.7/5  rDev -0.6%

16oz CANS, served in various goblets over christmas

Ah yes, Heady Ticker...Thanks @blackie for the CANS. I'm sorry folks, but I just couldn't get myself to drink this from a can, despite their wishes. That just doesn't make any sense to me - drank from some nice glassware with no issues! If they had told you to drink it out of a shoe, would you? Bright hop profile - oily, fragrant citrus, tropical, tangerine, pineapple. Really liked this - deserves most of the praise it receives.

01-04-2013 03:05:24 | More by dirtylou
beertunes

Washington

3.85/5  rDev -18.6%

Thanks to Johnmichaelson and Kurmaraja! 2 cans of Heady in one week! I prefer the glass, and the brewery wants you to drink straight from the can. What do you do? Have them side-by-side! This will be a combined review from a straight pint glass, and the 16oz can, switching between sips as I watched the Talladega NASCAR race.

Big piney and citrusy hops wafted out of both cans, whetting my appetite for this much hyped brew. The beer poured a very cloudy, barely translucent, orange color with about 1/2 inch of just off-white head that moderate retention and low lacing.

As mentioned, lots of citrus and pine hops upfront in the aroma, with a low, almost nonexistent malt profile. The taste was the same, tons of hops and low malts. The beer from the can seemed harsher and more bitter, not in an entirely pleasant way, than the beer from the glass. The flavors were smoother and more even from the glass.

The body was fairly typical for the style, but this is one of the driest finishing beers I've ever had. I'm almost thirsty after finishing each drink. Drinkability was dangerously good, I could see a 4-pack disappearing before you realize it. Overall, a very good brew, one that almost matches the hype that surrounds it (which is not the fault of either the beer or the brewery). Certainly a must try if given the chance. Thanks again Ryan and John!

10-20-2013 18:40:26 | More by beertunes
thagr81us

South Carolina

4.4/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks goes out to YaKnowBrady for sending me a few cans of this for the sole reason that I had never ticked it before! Thanks immensely my friend! Served from can into an oversized wine glass. Poured red-orange with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, citrus, citrus hop, fruit, and fruit hop. The flavor was of sweet malt, citrus, citrus hop, onion hop, earth, and fruit hop. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a fairly great brew. I am so excited I was finally able to try this one now that they can it. Wow! What a beer it was… It had some aspects that reminded me of Gubna, but had a huge amount of balance going on to keep your palate nice and happy so it did not succumb to a palate hop onslaught. Very well balanced and inviting after each sip. You know what… Notre Dame is playing Navy right now as I’m typing this up on my laptop, I think I will have another one of these right now straight from the can! Cheers!

09-04-2012 10:51:59 | More by thagr81us
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.13/5  rDev -12.7%

16 oz can.

It pours a hazy orange with a 3 finger head of foam.(served slightly chilled)

The smell is nice; citrus and tropical fruit mostly, only a hint of malt.

The taste is nice as well. Nice citrus bitterness, mild taste of tropical fruit, some good malty notes for some balance. Everything is so smooth so it's very easy to drink; the 8% abv is *very* well hidden.

Smooth creamy mouthfeel, it's a satisfying brew for my palate. Very good stuff.

12-20-2011 23:47:58 | More by Bitterbill
largadeer

Huge thanks to bring for the bottle. Bottled on 11/30/2010, consumed 12/13/2010.

Heady Topper pours a murky, rusty copper hue. Nearly opaque from sediment, and showing fairly weak head retention, this isn't the most visually impressive beer.

The aroma, on the other hand, is an outstanding display of juicy citrus and tropical fruit. Mango and papaya, pineapple and grapefruit, the hop profile has impressive depth. Malt is barely perceptible, almost imaginary.

Malt is more noticeable on the palate, lending a bread-like backbone that's quickly washed away by an assault of hop flavor and bitterness. Grapefruit, pineapple and papaya flavors try their hardest to balance a huge resinous hop bitterness. This is dry and light, decidedly West Coast style, with a lower to moderate level of carbonation. The bitterness grows astringent after a while, and while I do appreciate high IBUs, I feel that in this case it's out of balance with the hop flavor. It's an excellent DIPA nonetheless, and one of the best hoppy beers I've had from the East Coast.

12-15-2010 21:51:51 | More by largadeer
twiggamortis420

4.79/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

16 oz can courtesy of tommyguz pours an uber-hazed gold color with a stubborn, sticky off white head. It's money on retention and lacing.

Nose is juicy citrus and tropical hop aroma. Bubblegum dank with pineapple and mango. As Borat would put it - That's a very nice!

Pretty amazing they can pack this much hop flavor into a beer these days. Lots of bitterness here too. You can tell there is malt in there, but good luck finding a flavor description to attach to it. Just a massive tidal wave of hops - citric, tropical, piney; you name it hop-wise, its here. ABV is well hidden and the flow is nice from the hop flavor to the bitter finish...not halting at all. Definitely a world class beer, good enough to say that if I was transferred to Vermont for work, regualr access to this would be one of the first things to pop into my mind.

06-12-2013 21:56:45 | More by twiggamortis420
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

4.73/5  rDev 0%

16 oz can poured into a snifter. (Yes, I'm disobedient.)
8% ABV, Hard to "drink fresh" with no date. "Don't be a d-bag, recycle this can!"

Big thanks to Rochefort10NH for sending this my way! I knew this beer would be good but I should have taken his suggestion for 4 cans, not just 2. Oy.

A - Pouring slowly from the can (yeah, for review I find it necessary to disobey the can's blatant directions) Heady Topper is a fully cloudy, tainted golden apricot color. Head rises up but this beer certainly isn't heady. Low retention but delicate lace patches the glass.

S - It's hard to experience a better, fuller, hop-rich aroma. Bursting with American hop goodness, this Double IPA rocks out with bold pine sap and sticky lupulin gland resin. Citrus plays a part but certainly doesn't run the show here. Mild pineapple falls behind grapefruit and lemon zest.

T - Full-on hoppy-hoppy joy-joy, Heady Topper is laced with so much hop complexity; bold pine keeps the pace while grapefruit extraordinaire grips your teeth's enamel and doesn't let go. Sticky honey and pale malt almost becomes completely forgettable despite it's impeccable balance.

M - This can reads, "So drinkable, it's scary." I'd have to agree wholeheartedly. It could just be the explosive hop profile but, the alcohol percent isn't even perceived here. From the perfectly smooth mouthfeel to the grippingly bitter, freshly squeezed grapefruit juice-like finish, this chewy Double IPA is a pleasure to pass over the tongue.

O - I think the crude can drawing is trying to depict the back of this guy's head exploding with hops while a giant smile creeps from behind his beard. After I got my first whiff, I almost had to check the back one mine too! What a hop rush! While Heady Topper isn't the craziest beer our there, and they acknowledge it on the can, it's fantastic balanced makes it one of the greatest Double IPAs out there!

(Observation; though they exclaim, "DRINK FROM THE CAN!" the can clearly shows this guy drinking from a pint. Things that make you go, "hmm".)

02-29-2012 02:36:17 | More by BeerFMAndy
GarthDanielson

Finally, I got my hands on this. Here we go. I'm going to drink from the can, as instructed on the can, but I will pour a bit so I can comment on the appearance. Aromas on popping the can are strong and abundant. Beautifully balanced oregano-spiced hops roll out, with a strong resiny background and malty sweet backbone. Smells amazing. I poured about a half a tumbler so I could see any head formation, and boy is there. The beer is a slightly hazed, unfiltered, goldenrod coloring with a tall, frothy, big bubbled, off-white head that is an inch and a half and doesn't appear to be going anywhere. Flavors are roasted in the backbone, with a rich, resiny, bitter hops presence that just overflows the palate. The hops spicing is more subtle than the nose was, which works out very well in the total package. Citrus characters roll out across the palate the more you drink, with an undertone of grapefruit tart and bitterness. Delicious. Wet hops flavors are abundant from the initial taste across the board into the aftertaste. Rich, full bodied, and extremely smooth, which supports all of the flavor profiles. The finish is bitter and slightly drying, with a clean overall feel. This beer is fantastic. The more you drink, the more layers of hops flavor reveal themselves. Amazing. This is a tremendous brew!

10-22-2012 23:54:32 | More by GarthDanielson
DrDemento456

4.6/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Wow they were right about one thing if you pour the can it's full of tons of hop floaties. Color is a hazy amber brown with a 1/2 inch of thick bubbly head.

S - Straight up 5 here and I don't understand how you could give it a rating any lower on the smell. It was like fresh squeezed hop juice with very strong mostly noted grapefruit like hop dankness. Man this stuff smells good!

T - As expected it drinks freaking amazing. Hops are strong almost acidic or piney but the caramel like malts keep it from going overboard. I also love how well it hides the ABV it's almost non existent. Summed up perfect!

M - It has a medium bodied and drinks with the best of em.

Overall I could completely see the hype behind this beer being worth it but not worth trading away too much for it. Thanks again for the can Rick!

05-29-2012 19:14:11 | More by DrDemento456
DefenCorps

Oregon

4.45/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

So I was trying not to drink for a couple of weeks and then I get one of these as an extra from a very generous starrdogg. Thank you, Matt.

Pouring a hazy amber with a dense off-white head with excellent lacing and retention. Going in without reading reviews in a while, I expected this to be clearer and less hazy, but hey, I don't really mind. The nose is big, juicy and very hoppy. Juicy with candied orange, ripe oranges, ripe pineapple, moderate floral and lemon, a little honey. I can't pick up much malt here, as there's so much juicy hop sweetness that it hides any malt on the nose. Quite excellent.

While the nose is solid, the palate is outstanding. Incredibly juicy hop character with oranges, tangerines, Meyer lemons, a touch of orange and grapefruit pith. Along with it is a moderate tropical fruit character, especially on the finish, with some pineapple, mango and yellow peaches. Bitterness is moderate here, and the malt character is moderate with a little bit of honey and a touch of caramel. The finish is excellent, with a lingering tropical fruit character, moderate orange and a mild bitterness. Medium-light in body with soft carbonation, this beer is great. Pleasing resin character as well, this is very good. Excellent stuff, I would love to have this again. Thanks for the chance to try this beer, Matt!

**Edit 06 Dec 2011**

I'm getting a chance to revisit this right after drinking a Pliny, and boy, is it still glorious. It looks cloudy and ugly, though, so I'm docking the appearance down by 0.5. can is fresher, so the nose is more pungent and more dank, hiding the caramel sweetness. I'm upping the nose to a 4.5. The palate is just a hair too sweet, and the more I drink, the less I enjoy it, and I'm dropping the taste to 4.5. Just a touch boozy, too. Still, a fantastic DIPA.

10-01-2011 00:36:35 | More by DefenCorps
gford217

Georgia

4.6/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Many thanks to a very generous BA for the opportunity to try this one, 22oz bomber.

Pours a bright, clear amber with a big pillowy white head with a rocky bottom fed by a steady stream of bubbles Retention is good and leaves a soapy collection of big bubbles on top with good lacing.

Aroma is wonderful and typical of a top-tier west coast DIPA. Tons of juicy citrus with oranges and pineapples mixed with a thick resinous pine aroma. Bit of biscuity malt in the background.

Flavor is just as good with an initial astringent citrus bitterness, pithy grapefruit, that flows into a more juicy citrus backbone with the oranges and pineapples coming back in. The finish is bitter and resinous, sticky with pine hops.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and well carbonated with a wonderful stickiness clinging to the palate after each sip.

One of the best DIPAs I've had in recent memory and possibly the best east coast DIPA I've ever tasted. Super drinkable but with tons of hop character and bitterness. Really superb beer.

12-25-2010 02:11:00 | More by gford217
tone77

4.25/5  rDev -10.1%

Many thanks to woodychandler for coming through big time with this beer. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has an orange/brownish color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is alive with hops and citrus. Taste is also very good, hoppy, citrus and tropical fruits abound, bitter but not overly so, a well constructed beer. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall was a pleasure to drink, worth seeking out.

05-29-2012 23:28:10 | More by tone77
jrallen34

4.33/5  rDev -8.5%

Bottle into my Narke tulip...Medium copper, not bright or sparkly enough for me. Tope head pretty good, looks good, nice retention and lacing...Aroma is really malty, lots of caramel, great to balance out the hops and alcohol. Hop presence is huge though, really good...The taste is also really malty, very different and unique for a dipa, but great to mask the hops and make it drinkable. Hops are more there in the feel.

12-28-2010 02:33:44 | More by jrallen34
TurdFurgison

4.63/5  rDev -2.1%

I got 2 bottles of this courtesy of Kelp, thanks a ton Jeremy. I had a preview at the Kuhnhenn Winter Solstice too, so I was really looking forward to opening these.

It pours a light golden orange with thick foam and spotty laceing, just a little haze. The aroma is heavy with citrus and tropical fruit, grapefruit + papaya + that type of thing. Honestly I would guess Deadnaught in a blind smell test.

Nice and abrasive taste, a little sweet in the middle, just about the perfect amount of malt. This deserves all of its reviews, wow it's good. A little burn but it feels hops-based rather than alcohol-based.

Light body, very dry in the mouth, I can't praise it enough. I love this beer, so glad I have another.

12-23-2010 23:00:13 | More by TurdFurgison
woosterbill

Connecticut

4.85/5  rDev +2.5%

16oz can, consumed therefrom.

A: Beautiful can. Great contrast between the brushed aluminum and the black design. Funny text, too. Perfect appearance.

S: The can doesn't quite amplify the aroma like a tulip would, but what scent wafts through the widemouth is pure hops candy. Tropical fruit, citrus, pine, and angel deodorant.

T: Hoppy heaven, plain and simple. Fresh, juicy, intense, delicious, complexly flavorful hops. Fruit, flowers, resin, and a clean finish. Truly delicious in every way.

M: Smooth, velvety carbonation fills out the clean, medium body. Lovely.

O: What a beer. While not quite as perfect an experience as it was on tap (HT was my first perfect 5 review), this can was still one of the greatest hop celebrations my mouth has ever known. If I lived closer to the cannery, I might not drink anything else. This beer is the real deal.

Cheers!

11-06-2011 15:09:46 | More by woosterbill
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

4.53/5  rDev -4.2%

16oz can provided by MrBarleywine, thanks for hooking me up Mike!
Pours a slightly cloudy deep golden color with a stingy white head that dissipates quickly. Smells of pine, resin, and a slight bit of citrus and dankness. If there's any malt in here I can't find it, but I really don't miss it because I could smell this all night. Taste is mildly sweet bready biscuity malt being assassinated by an onslaught of hops. Resinous dank pine hops barely let any malt come through, but some do find their way in. Medium to thin body and level of carbonation, resinous bitter mouthfeel. This one is all about the hops, no shit right its a DIPA. There is a bitterness here, but its pleasant, aromatic and not harsh. This is a damn fine beer!

09-18-2011 00:53:55 | More by johnnnniee
Alieniloquium

4.78/5  rDev +1.1%

On tap at the Alchemist in Waterbury, VT. $4 for a 12 oz. pour. Can't beat that.

A - Hazy orange body with a delicious white head. The beer sticks and leaves lacing all down the side of the glass. This looks delicious.

S - Waves of hops. Unbelievably delicious citrus and floral hops. It has the strongest citrus hop aroma I've ever smelled. It's wonderful.

T - Great hop flavor up front that just lasts and lasts. Somewhere in the distance is a slight sweetness to balance it out. There is hardly any bitterness, so it only takes the slightest bit of malt to keep this guy balanced.

M - Slick and easy to drink. A gulpable IPA. I put back 3 of these easily. The low bitterness with such a strong hop character is remarkable and allows this beer to be quaffed with ease.

O - The best IPA I have had and a great endnote for my east coast beer trek. Worth the drive and something I hope to get once it is canned!

08-03-2011 17:28:12 | More by Alieniloquium
FosterJM

4.63/5  rDev -2.1%

898th Review on BA
Can to Taster (Only for App)
16 oz

2011

Thanks to Kzoobrew for this one.

App- A really good crisp orange with a good amount of clairity. A nice head was formed and left a touch of cling on even a taster glass.

Smell- A great bit of pine, guava and orange in the glass. A little bitter with some hop oils.

Taste- This was a very good DIPA. More of a mallt presence than I thought would present itself. It has a good bit of citrus behind it and was very crisp with a refreshing bite behind it. Still felt a bit awkward drinking such a choice beer out of a can but oh well.

Mouth- A medium bodied DIPA all the way with a paired medium/high carbonation level. Good citrus with a small malt backbone residual flavor. Nice tropical flavors with only a touch of earth.

Drink- Kevin, I can't say enough about this beer. Thank you so much for having an extra for me. I would love to have more of this beer for sure.

10-29-2011 00:33:43 | More by FosterJM
spinrsx

Ontario (Canada)

4.43/5  rDev -6.3%

16oz can - thanks to zuma for this

Appearance - Hazy amber colour with a large size frothy off white coloured head. It's hard to make out the amount of carbonation and there is some good lacing. The head lasted for over 5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, caramel, hops, grapefruit, lemons, tangerines

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and the taste is made up of caramel and malts mixed with hops. It also has a wack of citrus flavours - lemons, grapefruits, and tangerines. Juice and zest. It ends with a sweet and bitter hop aftertaste.

Overall - It reminded me of a pliny meets rad racer taste wise. It's got a lot of lemony citrus flavour that almost makes it seem more like an IPA than a DIPA. I consider this the pliny of the east - worth seeking out.

04-05-2012 02:31:31 | More by spinrsx
Jwale73

Rhode Island

4.25/5  rDev -10.1%

16oz. can served in my ST tulip (just couldn't bring myself to drink it out of the can). Pours a semi-hazy burnt orange with a rocky, one inch, cream-colored head embedded with tiny craters. Head eventually settles into a soapy skim with a thin, bubbly band around the edges. Some swaths and spots of lacing are revealed during the tasting. Love the nose on this beer - grassy, sweet citrus, earthy rind and a slight peppery quality towards the back; incredibly well-balanced. Taste follows nose - earthy bitterness presents up-front and sweet citrus and a suggestion of apricot follows. Finish leaves a slight residual bitterness between quaffs. Mouthfeel is medium-light with a pleasant, even carbonation that is lively without being prickly. There's also a slightly oily texture. The more I drink this beer, the more I like it. Hopefully it will make it to Southern Vermont so I can get a bit more regular access. This beer is nothing short of fantastic - the balance is top notch, the alcohol is well-hidden and it is just so easy drinking. In my opinion, can tops bottle on this brew.

09-16-2011 01:23:15 | More by Jwale73
alexgash

Connecticut

4.9/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

16 oz. can. Canned 2 weeks ago.

Partly cloudy, Bright orange gold body. Thick, whipped, fat finger of rocky, dense, light beige head. Great head retention and lacing. Ridiculous hop nose with tons of fresh mangoes, pineapple, kiwi, mandarin orange, grapefruit, pine sap, and even a little resinous funk. Still, the tropical fruit hop aromas dominate and mix nicely with some candyish malt aromas. Heavenly.

Bitterish hops and toasted malt up front quickly give way to huge tropical fruit hop flavors. Fresh, juicy, luscious mangoes, pineapple, and mandarin orange. Resinous, slightly sappy, oily hop flavors hideout underneath and show up toward the finish. Sweetish, honeyish, fruity malt blends in nicely with the fresh hop wonder wall. Dries out in the finish with lots of lingering tropical fruit hop flavors. Moderately bitter, but mostly just flavorful. Medium-full body with a thickish, chewy feel. Half a case in, and whether straight from the can or poured into a glass this beer just keeps wowing me. World class.

11-14-2011 11:24:22 | More by alexgash