Cinnabar Belgian Dubble (with Cherries) - Middleton Brewing

Cinnabar Belgian Dubble (with Cherries)
No picture uploaded.

1 Rating

pDev: 0%
Middleton Brewing visit their website
Texas, United States

Dubbel |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: elNopalero on 11-02-2011)
3.03/5  rDev 0%

Picked up a bottle of Middleton Brewing Company’s Cinnabar Belgian Dubble brewed with cherries to go. Shared it with XicanoBeerRun about a week later.

Disclaimer: I’m not the world’s biggest fan of dubbles but I’m willing to give them a try. There are things about the style that are desired—such as the ‘bubble-gum’ esters and thick malty profile—that I find disagreeable, especially when done poorly.

So, that said… I had high hopes for this beer. Poured into a tulip with a creamy head, tight lacing, almost like the whipped froth on top of a root beer float. The beer looks appealing, albeit hazy. It’s cloudy, unfiltered perhaps? Ruddy colored, like the dubbles I know. Smells boozy. The first aromas on the nose, in fact, hit big and hard.

This big, dominant alcohol profile comes out on the first taste as well. It’s strong, and off-balanced. There’s some sweetness, but it’s not cloyingly sweet (which I find undesirable). I don’t pick up the cherry at first but I do catch some tartness. And, again, the booziness, far more than I’d expect for an 8.2% beer. Almost an astringent, medicinal quality to it. As it warms I find the taste and aromas improve but I wouldn’t try it again. It’s rich, malty, phenolic, boozy, with a full mouthfeel and a good body. Honestly, I wish I liked it more. It doesn’t have the qualities I dislike in some of the other dubbles I’ve tried (the cloying sweetness, the heavy body and overpowering malt profile) but there’s just too much amiss for me to recommend.

elNopalero, Nov 02, 2011
Cinnabar Belgian Dubble (with Cherries) from Middleton Brewing
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.