Bad Axe - Big Wood Brewery

Bad AxeBad Axe

Big Wood Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

(Beer added by: Mdog on 05-11-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

04-02-2014 00:02:14 | More by TomSeit79
Lemke10

Wisconsin

4.23/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This pours a hazy, amber color with a foamy off-white head. The aroma is filled with bitter citrus. For being an IIPA that taste is rather sweet and is very easy drinking for being 9.8% This is a fairly well rounded beer that is balanced and yet tasty for all the right reasons.

04-01-2014 00:17:54 | More by Lemke10

Iowa

01-12-2014 14:03:24 | More by Catlin
Hop-Droppen-Roll

3.4/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

From the can: This one might take a few trees down without trying. It's the one all the lady axes think they can change. He might be the tough guy in a flannel shirt who tears off bottle caps with his teeth, but don't worry he's easy to get along with. Brewed with a mix of Columbus and Centennial hops, it pours a pale amber and goes down surprisingly easy. Well, maybe not so surprising considering it's from Big Wood Brewery.

I'm finally reviewing this last of the 4 pack. I really loved the first one, and have not been pleased with the following 3. It's a good beer to bring to a party, i.e. it is efficient (9.8%ABV), and maybe it's only because the only other DIPA I can recall ever having drank was Abrasive, but it's just not a 'fine beer experience'. It's more of an especially tasty boozy malt beverage.

Aggressive pour will produce a solid 3-4 finger head. My first glass produced phenomenal, sticky lacing. Lacing has been 'meh' on the last 2 (second was straight from the can, please forgive me). The smell is by far and away the highlight of this beer, which will probably appeal to most DIPA fans (i.e. most BAs). There's a whole array of fruity goodness in the bouquet - mango, pineapple, citrus, and a pleasant maltiness that can even bring carrots to mind, providing a nice compliment. All I would ask of the nose on this brew is more resinous pine. Oddly enough I think the best taste I got from this pint was the one that went down the wrong pipe and induced a coughing belching dribbling fit of spittle and chest pains. That was my own fault though, not the beers. A well executed swig delivers a punch of malt and fruit. Some will complain about the malt bill in this DIPA, but really, if you want something hoppier than an IPA with no malt presence, just eat a hop flower. If anything, this beer needs an even heavier malt backbone, because the primary characteristic of this beer that will stand out in my memory is the UNNECESSARILY AGGRESSIVE BOOZINESS. This is why I mention that it's great for parties - it tastes *good* (i.e. better than BMC or vodka), chicks will dig it, and it delivers on the inebriation. If I'm judging it on its merits on the 'fancy beer' scale (I am) it just doesn't cut it. It's SOOO CLOSE - and I wish I could love this beer, but it's just too boozy. Granted, it's not easy to hide a huge ABV, but if Surly can do it, these guys should be able to. And if they can't, great, that's fine, but don't charge me what it would cost to buy a 4-pack of Abrasive. If this stuff cost a few dollars less, I might consider buying it somewhat regularly, but where I bought it, well - I could have run across town (small town) quick and bought just as much abrasive for just as much money and been a lot happier with the flavor profile and balance.

Mouthfeel was pretty deece.

In closing - bring the price point down two notches and we'll talk.

**Edit** I have technically had 3 DIPAs - Southern Tiers 2XIPA was one of them though, so really I've only had 2.

12-28-2013 22:27:25 | More by Hop-Droppen-Roll
jenray

12-28-2013 07:03:31 | More by jenray
CopperMtnPlowboy

2.26/5  rDev -40.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

A - Pours a cloudy orange, with a nice head which stays a relatively long time. Looks the part of a nice enjoyable beer.

S - A sweet musty smell, very malty with little - almost no - hop smell. I can almost taste the malt in the smell alone.

T - Overwhelming sour fruit, like a bitter nectarine. Some mango with a hint of pineapple and red grapefruit, too.

M - There has GOT to be honey in this, right? But I do not taste honey. It is about as thick as I can ever recall a beer feeling.

O - I was able to buy a single pint can at Woodman's in Kenosha last week. Don't recall the price, but it doesn't matter since I collect the cans for my "drank it myself" collection of cans. After a few sips, I was disappointed and thought of pouring the rest down the drain - quite uncommon for me. Before I did, I thought I'd check out the BA'ers to see what you all thought and I have to admit I am surprised it is rated as highly as it is... "89 - very good"? I really expected this to be down near the malt liquor types (in the 60's at best). Maybe I got a skunked one, but I’m glad I got away with buying only a pint.

12-28-2013 06:08:38 | More by CopperMtnPlowboy
zestar

12-25-2013 06:58:31 | More by zestar
Rish907

4.75/5  rDev +25%

12-25-2013 04:22:49 | More by Rish907
NeedBeerHere

3.31/5  rDev -12.9%

Pours out a really nice slightly dark orange in color with a nice white two-finger head with good retention and nice lacing. Smell is really malty with a tiny bit of hops in the back that are hardly noticeable. I get lots of sweetness in the nose but none seems to be anything hoppy. Taste is really malty with a tiny bit of hops as well. This is really sweet with a nice bit of bitterness as you swallow that lingers in your mouth. The taste is actually quite balanced. More balanced than I even thought after my first sip. Mouthfeel is quite thick with lots of carbonation. Overall a little too malty for my taste but it is a good beer.

12-21-2013 04:15:59 | More by NeedBeerHere