Bark Bite - Big Wood Brewery

Bark BiteBark Bite

good

Big Wood Brewery visit their website
Minnesota, United States

(Beer added by: Minn_Joe on 07-31-2013)

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

3.76/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

16oz Can
$8.99 4-Pack
Village Dell & Wine - Rice Lake, WI

The "pounder" can dumps into my glass with a straw pale golden body and a little chill haze. Large carbonation bubbles stick to the sides of the glass and when finally release meet the bubbled, craggy, linen white head. The head keeps being replenished while the lace left behind is chunky and bold.

Whoa! The aroma is like nothing I've come across in an IPA. The nose is like a tripel with musty green apple, apricot, and tangerine but it's all in large quantity and from the hop profile. A little more citrus pops through, orange and sugared grapefruit play minor roles. Since I've noticed it I can't help but get the tripel-like aroma out of my head. As it warms there's some tea leaf coming through that's a sure sign of age even though I was told this was just brought into WI. With that said I'm still digging the aroma.

Each drink shows signs of that tangerine and dried apricot, I always associate with a musty quality, which is fairly unique. The malt is pale with some graham cracker showing after some warming. Musty apple and pithy orange bring up the rear. There's still a little tea leaf but I'm enjoying this brew.

The body is moderately heavy and the carbonation is on the higher side with a prickly feel. The bitterness eventually builds to moderate with a fairly dry finish. The alcohol is very well hidden.

Bark Bite is a pretty interesting IPA sporting a hop profile I've never really come across before. The price isn't bad at $8.99. I'd buy this beer again if for nothing than its uniqueness.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

3.19/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

No canned on date so I'm going into this one blind.

Appearance: Light golden straw color with visible carbonation and a slight haze. One finger off-white fluffy head.

Aroma: A nice mix of hops and malt without being super aromatic. There is an interesting sweet marmalade aroma coming from the hops with compliment of toastyness from the malt. Some citrus and pine underneath it all.

Taste: If I didn't know any better, upon the first sip I'd claim this one to be an American Session Ale. There is a lot of bitterness and not much to back it up. But I do know better, and this 6.6% ABV IPA seems to be lacking the depth of flavor I was expecting. Bark Bite starts with big bitterness alongside some faint pilsen and light caramel malts. The hop character never really develops past an earthy pine flavor, making the slogan on the can "bitter bite, citrus soul" only half right. The sweet marmalade aroma must be due to dry-hopping because I just can't seem to find the citrus in this one. Finish is bitter and dry. Aftertaste of dank bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Just above thin in body with aggressive carbonation and subpar drinkability. The overt bitterness just gets to be too much without malt to back it up.

Final Thoughts: Just not crazy about this one. Reviewed their Bad Axe Imperial IPA and enjoyed that one. Then again, not sure how fresh this can was. Would I drink it again? I suppose, if I know it's fresh.

Bark Bite from Big Wood Brewery