Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Maple Orange Imperial Caramel Cream Ale - Due South Brewing Co.

Maple Orange Imperial Caramel Cream AleMaple Orange Imperial Caramel Cream Ale

Due South Brewing Co. visit their website
Florida, United States

Cream Ale |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 02-23-2014

Reviews by jlindros:

Thanks to rudzud for this one. Can unreadable date something in 8/05/14

Light fizzy head fades fairly quickly, copper reddish maroon like brownish toffee color. Nice legs on the sides. 4

Nose is like fake orange, orange syrup cough syrupy kinda thing, mild booze brings a cointreau orange liquor like aroma, little cream, orange oil like potpourri oil, as it warms mild orange creamscicle. 3.5

Taste is similar, a bitter orange rind and fake orange flavor, chemical orange, with mild coffee cream and sweet candy cream thing, and into big time maple creams, candy, etc with fair to mild sweetness. little creamy orange creamscicle note but very little. Lingering maple and coffee creams, gran Marnier like flavor. Finish is dry but sticky, little booze warmth, weird bitterness like orange rind that doesn't blend well. 3.75

Mouth is med bod, syrupy, lighter carb, but not bad, booze isn't too out front. Booze brings like gran Marnier character but not boozy. 3.75

Overall mixed. 3.75

1.5/5  rDev -58.3%

The nose was very Orange cream forward and reminded me of a cream soda but the flavor was a maple mess.

I enjoy maple syrup and it was very heavy on the maple which gave me an initial enjoyment. On the other hand, the way it masked the other flavors and blended everything into an unpalatable mash up, made this beer a drain dump for me (as well as the other 3 people who cracked open a can)

Like with many other beers that attempt an orange flavor, it was very artificial with what little I could taste.

3.29/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Aroma of celery. Doesn't make sense but absolutely there. First taste was strong of maple syrup and then a strong taste of celery. Not exactly pleasant. Second taste was all celery. Third taste was creamy orange. That's where the taste kicked in. Not sure why the celery was so strong at first but now I taste a nice smooth orange cream. Solid beer. Worth a try.

3.4/5  rDev -5.6%

12 oz. can poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Deep amber body. Deep orange when held up to the light. Pours with a big off-white head. Some lacing and a thick collar.

Smell - Orange can be smelled across the room. Pungent and very fresh smelling. Maple behind it.

Taste - Much more maple-y, especially up front. Bright orange, but it's more subdued up front. Some caramel malt. Orange flavor comes back with a pithy bitterness steeped in bright orange flavor.

Mouthfeel - Medium heavy. Medium carbonation. Surprisingly bitter.

Overall - This is the kinda beer where the name tells you exactly what it will taste like. Orange stronger in the nose, maple stronger in the flavor.

3.52/5  rDev -2.2%

2.5/5  rDev -30.6%

4.5/5  rDev +25%

This beer is insane. I've never had anything like it. We had it at a tasting and almost everyone thought it was one of the most unique beers we've ever had. Really enjoyed this. Cream mouth feel and then every flavor listed right in a row. The maple finish is a nice touch.

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

Was looking forward to this beer...A bit disappointed but I knew I was taking a risk. For what it's worth I'm not the biggest fan of orange, but I have been enjoying Due South's caramel cream ale in a can. That said I will try and be as objective as possible here.

The appearance is nice, good head retention, solid color, slightly orange but it could be my mind tricking me. Unfortunately this seems to be the best quality of this beer.

It's got a very heavy orange aroma, expected of course, it's powerful. Then the maple hits the back of the aroma along with some...I don't know, a prickly smell if that makes sense...like spice or something. Also get a bit of caramel, but mostly orange and maple. It smells...artificial? Hard to say but it does...

Ok...I'm warming up to the taste...hmm...yes...ok...This isn't as bad as I first thought, maybe just a system shock? I mean literally from the time I started writing this til right now I thought the taste was not great, but now it's OK. Lots of orange in the swallow, caramel up front, maple finish. The orange really hits the back of your throat and the maple coats your mouth. The orange is ruining this beer for me, but like I said, subjective, so I won't dock a lot of points for that. OK...I can see a citrus lover enjoying this.

Mouthfeel is solid. Creamy cream ale, well done.

Overall, while not my cup of tea personally it's well done, except for the artificial maple flavor. Take out the orange and I'd buy it again.

I wasn't able to finish the can FWIW. Just too much sweetness and orange.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

Maple Orange Imperial Caramel Cream Ale from Due South Brewing Co.