Caramel Cream Ale - Due South Brewing Co.

Caramel Cream  AleCaramel Cream  Ale

Due South Brewing Co. visit their website
Florida, United States

Cream Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: dimenhetfield on 05-17-2012

4.04/5  rDev +7.7%

Picked up a Growler, so know it was fresh. Nice color, pleasant caramel under taste, cream is not obvious. Poured from the Growler into pint glass. Nice head of white foam that settled to a thin layer of lace that lasted quite a while. Caramel taste becomes more evident as the beer warms. Very drinkable at a range of temperatures. Went well with my home/grilled sirloin, but since I enjoyed it with food, I cannot speak about aftertaste. The growler purchase certainly made the price attractive. (498 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12oz can with no date poured into 16oz snifter

A — Pours a deep copper color, almost a caramel hue to it, there is a light amber colored head atop of it that fades rather quickly. Some spotty soapy lacing left behind.

S — Smells of light caramel malts and sweetness, little bit of burnt sugar and coconut.

T — Tastes of lime and lemon, a little bit of a rich caramel sweetness underneath it all. Touch of vanilla bean and creme brulee.

M — Medium bodied, bit of a lingering finish.

O — Alright overall, a bit thin and maybe past its prime, but it's OK. (568 characters)

The name of this one gave me some aprehension, but it was actually pretty tasty and drinkability was alot higher than I was expecting. Not an everyday drinker, but if I had access to this I could see throwing this into the mix every once in a while when the mood struck. (273 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My local, in-person trader, tone77, headed Due South for a while and returned with a bunch of CANs for me in furtherance of The CANQuest (tm)! It is like a twist on the old t-shirts in that my buddy visited the south and all I got was a bunch of CANs. In this case, that's okay by me.

From the CAN: "Our Caramel Cream Ale was developed to showcase the wonderful caramel notes in dark crystal malts. In addition to the malt complexity and creamy mouthfeel, tis beer finishes with a hint of vanilla. There are no substitutes for this very special Ameri[CAN] Ale."

The loud Crack! revealed yet another brimful craft CAN and so an inverted Glug was in order. This produced two-plus fingers of foamy, deep-tan head with moderate retention which left nice lacing in its wake. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled like a cross between cream soda and caramel-vanilla ice cream. To say that it was sweet would be to mark me as master of the understatement! Mouthfeel was medium. Taste was not as sweet as I was bracing for, which was a relief. It had a definite caramel-vanilla flavor, but it was more subdued than what the nose had suggested. Finish was sweet, making it a one-and-done for me, but if your taste runs to this sort of thing, do not let me dissuade you. It just seemed more like dessert than beer. (1,369 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a copper color with amber hues and a 1 inch head. Smell is mild, a bit of caramel. Taste is caramel, vanilla, malts, some sweetness. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall a good beer on this hot day. (236 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Bar Louie in West Palm Beach. Dark Amber/red color, with no head. I assume it was poured poorly. Smells of sweet caramel candy. It tastes like a dessert. Unfortunately I had this after an IPA so I fear my palette may have been wrecked to taste this well. I tasted a strong caramel taste with a malty bread note midway. After taste is pleasant and sweet. This is a great if you want a light sweet beer! (420 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

i like the idea, i was sold on the idea in fact, but the beer i think under delivers a little bit this time. it doesnt seem a whole lot like a cream ale as a base beer, almost amber in color, dark to say the least for the style, almost more like a cream soda than a cream ale there. the caramel is there, all form the grain i think, but its sweet and rich enough. the nose and taste mirror each other, rich but bubbly, and there is an obvious vanilla profile to it. i think it may even be brewed with vanilla. plenty of bubbles, but the sweetness lingers a little too long i think, and even half a can with my brother drinking the other half was enough for both of us. the idea rocks, but this needs to ferment down a little longer, if they let it climb up to around 6% abv i think it would be a radically better and more drinkable brew, as it stands, its a novelty and little else. that might be harsh, it probably accomplished its stated objective, but its a one and done for me just the same. (995 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Got this beer at Longhorn Steakhouse, Palm Beach Florida when I asked for a craftbeer.

Copper colored, clear beer with a thin white head.

Nose: A LOT of caramel malt! Vanilla, brown sugar and syrup.
Taste: Caramel, toffee, malt, marzipan and vanilla beans.
Body: Medium body with light carbonation.

I had this beer before and under the meal (20 oz Longhorn Porterhouse) and I must say I liked it! Creamy, soft and a little sweetness. Great taste for a beer with only 5% ABV. (481 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a can into a pint glass. A very pretty beer that smells like a sweet brown ale. It is not as sweet to taste as it smells (which is probably a good thing) but the caramel and vanilla are prominent. Slight cloying aftertaste keeps it from being perfect. Very enjoyable. Drinkable in all seasons. (310 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

16 oz pour on nitro

A: clear Carmel color fluffy head nice lacing probably because on nitro

S: very nice candy caramel smell with a little vanilla

T: nice caramel smooth a little malty on the end

M: creamy mouth a little thin but it's a lighter beer

O: very tasty beer easy drinking  (304 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours brown with a dirty khaki head that quickly drops but never quite leaves. Aroma and flavor match with some caramel, graininess, super mild grassy hops, and sweetness that is a pairing of the lactose sugars and vanilla beans. Vanilla is well balanced and develops throughout. A creamy medium bodied active mouthfeel. Overall, solid beer. Delivers what it promises. Sweeter than I needed, but that is the nature of any vanilla beer so I expected that.

My rating: 3.25 (471 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Very fresh 12 oz can purchased and consumed in south FL, with a canned on date about 10 days earlier.
Aroma: sweet; a somewhat incoerent mix of vanilla and caramel with a hint of hops.
Flavor: moderately sweet but not cloying, with some mild bitterness in the aftertaste. A more uniform bitter-sweet balance would be better. Caramel/toffee and vanillla dominate.

Feel: medium body and carbonation.

O: decent dessert beer but may not satisfy for long as a session ale. (474 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +4.5%

Due South is a local place that brews a good selection. The caramel cream ale and their IPAs are their go-tos, and not being a huge fan of IPAs, I went with the caramel cream. It was excellent. Great balance of vanilla and caramel and just the right amount of hops(minimal) for this beer. Mixed with their Honey Wheat it was even better. My only criticism, if you can really call it that, is that it does not seem to stay carbonated well in a growler. Recently, Due South released one of their IPAs in cans, and I am hoping the Caramel Cream follows suit. Until then, if you are in the Boynton Beach area, this place is definetly worth the trip. (645 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured into a "Due South Brewing Co." pint glass produced small head for this dark amber beer. Smell was vanilla and caramel. Taste was vanilla, caramel and malt. Reminded me of a good amber or cream ale with hints of vanilla and caramel. Not much hop flavor. MF was medium with low carbonation. Very tasty on its own or with the ribs that I was enjoying. Had another as it's one of the better brews I've had lately. I may stop by the brewery as it's close to where I live. I'll definitely look for this again as it was smooth and tasty. Today 8/5, I purchased a six at Total Wine. They just got it in stock. Needless to say I can hardly wait for it to get cold! (662 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Growler from a recent trip to Due South. Really like that they use the jar bottles but with a rust proof, hard plastic screw cap.

Pours well, throwing up a nice head. This beer shines a wicked ruby color, clear with no sediment visible. Lacing wraps the glass.

Aroma of caramel candies and vanilla creamsickle. A lot of sweetness in the aroma with no hop presence. Some bready grains come through as well. Not complex, but very welcoming aroma.

Flavor is subtle and well balanced. Vanilla, caramel, cracker, very little bitterness in the finish. Very drinkable and sweet enough to cure a craving.

Carbonation is soft-medium. Body is medium, emphasizing the sweetness. (672 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +18.7%

Absolutely love this beer. I could pound 30 of these like nothing (but I wont). Taste is awesome, mouthfeel is great. Nothing too fancy about it but it's a great beer to have while you're out with friends.

I can't wait to get out to the brewery and try it from the source! (273 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +3.5%

From tap to taster glass at Due South tasting room on 6/2/12
*From notes

A: Clean ruby amber. Quite dark for a cream ale. A 1.5 finger head sticks to the walls of the glass and leaves a decent collar to boot.

S: I get some freshly milled grains first, but what really stands out is the amount of creamsicle sweetness I get.

T: Very reminiscent of Anderson's Summer solstice. Lots of vanilla and some light toast on the mid. The finish is fairly hoppy, and there's a resonating juicy, biting quality to it.

F: Light and crisp. Very well carbonated without being too rough.

O: Another solid offering from Due South. When I asked Mike at the tasting bar which beer best represents their brewery, he filled my growler with this. Very easy drinking yet it's packing plenty of flavor for a low ABV session beer. A must try for Cream Ale addicts like myself. (856 characters)

On draft at Due South for their Grand Opening. Had heard about this beer from prior events so I was jazzed to try this one. Slight caramel cream notes with a tad bit of funk. Heard this batch may have been sub par so I’ll give Due South a break here. Will definitely try again though. (286 characters)

Caramel Cream Ale from Due South Brewing Co.