Licher Pils - Licher Privatbrauerei

good

Licher Privatbrauerei visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 07-13-2003)

yoshimg, Sep 10, 2014
4.95/5  rDev +36.7%

Ahhh yes... Licher, my second all time favorite Pilsner in the world.... behind Eichbaum.
I cant even count how many cases of this beer I have drank over a 4 year time period in Bad Naughiem.
Found only in the Giessen Germany area, this Pilsner will go down smooth one right after the next... all night long.
At first, it might not seem carbonated enough, but half way through the first bottle, you soon realize it has a nice clean, crisp, refreshing taste, and the carbonation fits it perfectly. This is a typical German Pilsner, with a slight twist of a grassy type hop flavor that you will not taste anywhere else in the world. Best served at room temps or cool at around 45 degrees. HIGHLY DRINKABLE and a must try for anyone visiting Germany. and as I've said so many times at the local bierhaus, Ich liebe Licher Bier!!!

Steedee, Nov 22, 2011
4.9/5  rDev +35.4%

Drinkability is the key here. Having drunk several truckloads of this excellent beverage I can say it is legendary to all us boys that swam in it while serving on the Rock.

Details....use the proper glassware. It is delicate with beautiful lacing in a proper glass. Fill the mouth and drink it down, don't sip it. This is German beer at it's finest. Light, refreshing and again drinkable. Drinking just one is a sin.

Lastly, this is again German beer and truly should be enjoyed from a tap. This beer is from the Hessen state, Frankfurt area etc.. Go, find it and then you will know the truth. Licher IS one of the finest beers made. Ich liebe Licher Bier!!!

bitzbach, Aug 15, 2011
4.61/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

All I can say is this beer goes down as smoothly as any beer I've ever tasted. W/O a doubt a pleasure to drink. Absolutely no bite to it and the taste is so smooth and refreshing I can't really put it into words. Drink one of these beers and enjoy one of the better tasting beers on this planet.

TOMHONE, Jan 08, 2014
4.61/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I absolutely stole this review as it just hit me as damn near perfect!

From Steedee:

Steedee

4.95/5  rDev +35.2%

Casedogg43, Jan 23, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

I have several of these whenever I visit my girlfriend's family in Hessen and am now a confirmed fan. To begin with, it's a good looking beer - a nice pale straw colour, a solid white head that stays till the end, and lots of lacing. It has a definite fresh, herbal aroma and taste and a very refreshing hop profile. There's also a certain something in there that I can't quite pin down but it's head and shoulders above the standard German commercial pils you see everywhere (Beck's, Warsteiner, Krombacher etc.). This is by no means the boldest tasting beer I've ever tried but it's an excellent example of the style and a cold one on a warm summer's evening is very hard to beat.

Madigan, Aug 22, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

redleg411, Feb 03, 2012
4.45/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a clear pale straw with a 1.5 finger of white foam that retains very well.

S - Clean cracker malt, green grassy grain, hints of lemon pepper, lager yeast.

T - Follows the nose. Clean cracker malt with a kiss of lemon sweetness, fresh cut-grassy hops adds perfect balance. Finishes super clean with grassy hops and lager yeast lingering on the back of the tongue.

M - Light bodied, soft carbonation.

This is one the the most balanced German Pils I've ever had. It's near perfect.

StaveHooks, May 02, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +14.6%

Recovering from a bad cold and easing back into beer with this German pils.

This slightly hazy, yellow lager generates plenty of foam when poured into a fluted pilsener glass. The head settles fairly quickly and leaves some bits of lace as bubbles stream up from the stem of the glass. Notable grassy, spicy hop aroma. Tastes a bit sweet at first, before a little burst of peppery hops that lead to a bitter finish. A fairly full-bodied pils which isn't as dry as I expected. Always happy to find another northern German pils to try! Thanks go to RedBaron for the bottle.

marcobrau, May 02, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +13.3%

Swapped some homebrew for a mixed sixer from my beer buddy.

Yay! A German Pilsner, I love agood pils. Pours from a brown bottle into a pint glass with a good 1/2 inch of white foam sitting on top of a crystal clear bright as sunshine yellow beer. Surprised that there is some yeast at the bottom of the bottle. Beautiful, head collapses to a lacing.

Smells good, no off odors or skunk.No hop odor.

First sip - very nice. A balanced Pils! Good malty backbone, gives it a full mouthfeel, not watery at all. Nice level of carbonation. There is no real hop flavor, unusual and maybe out of style for a Pils. Faintly there in the background.

I really like it, it would be easy to down a six sitting around on a hot summer day. There isn't anything wrong with it, nor is it memorable. Pleasant and enjoyable.

vikingloki, Jun 06, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +12.7%

This is a nice, crisp, tasty German pilsner that I had on tap at the Frankfurt airport.

It's golden with a nice, fairly big white head, slowly shrinking to leave a small, permanent top and nice rings of lace.

The aroma is a good German pilsner, bready with herbs.

The taste is similar, a definite German pilsner character with bread and plenty of herbs, a light but dominant, clean, persistent bitterness throughout, giving a clean, satisfying drink if not one that's really great.

Offa, Mar 02, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +11.9%

Another good pils here in Frankfurt. Looks exactly how a good pils should look. Poured with an impressive white, foamy, frothy, thick head that lasts a while and good lacing. Aroma is fresh beer, malt, grain, hop. Taste is similar, however in this one the malt sweetness comes out a tad more. Body is a little soft and carbonation is good. Finish is like flavor, but starts out sweet, goes bitter, and then slowly back to a fading bitter. Session beer.

drpimento, Aug 31, 2010

elBecko, Feb 27, 2012

astebelton, Feb 02, 2012

KuehneBe, Dec 18, 2011

TEAMHOLT, Jun 03, 2012

codynevels, Nov 18, 2011

DoubleJ, May 09, 2013

I found this at Bottle King on special for $4.24 for a 6-pack (!), and I'd never seen it before, so at that price I had to try it. I'm really glad I did. I've been in English ale mode for awhile recently, and was kind of shunning lagers as I thought I wasn't in the mood. But sipping this immediately reminded me how good a German beer can be. This has a really nice yeasty taste, and is very flavorful without overstepping in any way. Not to say that this is an amazing beer, but at this price, it's incredible.

dionisio, Mar 05, 2009

stevoj, May 14, 2012
3.93/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured this 11.2 oz. brown bottle into a pils glass. Coded: LIA 09 12 28??? Picked up a 6-pack of this at the local grocery. I'd never seen/heard of it before but the price was right and it was in brown bottles with packaging cover the bottles. It looked like it was protected from light damage pretty well so for $5.99 I took a chance. I'm glad I did. The body was clear pale yellow with a crisp white, whispy head. The tall brittle head left clump lace down the glass.

Smell was citrus. Fresh grains. hints of detergent. clean.

Taste was herbal. Minty?. Crisp light bittering linger. Drying finish.

Mouthfeel was bright and zesty. Medium to light body. Short finish. Very nice inexpensive pils.

Cresant, Dec 05, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +8.6%

This is one of my favorite german beers. It goes down nicely and the taste isn't overwhelming for this pilsner. I've had this from tap and a bottle. Both are enjoyable and perfect on a thirsty summer day.I love it and I can't wait to have a few more when I go back to Germany in June. Cheers!

Yvaithe, Feb 21, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Licher? I don't even know her! Hardee-har-har.

A - Vibrant gold brew with a nice big fluffy cap of crackling white foam. Lots of champagne bubbles stream towards the long lasting cap, and as the head does eventually recede it leaves behind big swaths of sticky and crusty lace.

S - Fresh salt sea air, salted wheat crackers, and a whiff of white pepper. Maybe a hint of spicy hops in there somewhere.

T - Fresh saltine crackers with a tang of lemon spritz on the finish. Lively lemon pepper and salt make this brew really 'pop' as they say on those crappy fashion TV shows my wife watches.

M - Light, crisp, effervescent with carbonation; this one is amazingly refreshing and thirst quenching with a long lasting, but far from distracting finish.

D - This G-pils screams session! I wanna pour two of these in my giant Oktoberfest mug and grill up some brats while enjoying this fine spring weather!

pmcadamis, Apr 07, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

I was at a local Binny's and, being one that is always on the lookout for new German pilsners/lagers, decided to give this one a try. Bought a sixer for $7.99.

Appearance: pale gold; good head pour and retention.
Smell: Faint grassy aroma. Nothing too pronounced.
Taste: Mmmm! Excellent hop bitterness combined with a refined, clean maltiness. Dry finish, with a fresh-loaf, pleasant breadiness lingering aftertaste. Very nice.
Mouthfeel: Proper balance throughout, never felt "light" or watery. For a 4.9% abv beer, it carries itself well.

I did a little research and the sixer I bought the other night, "Licher LAGER", is from what I can tell actually a pilsner beer.and based on the nice crisp, dry finish, I believe it. Brewed in the German state of Hesse (north-central Germany) this beer is a more bitter, dryish pilsner than its counterparts down south. I recommend it and would love to try it "vom Fass".

RedBaron, Apr 26, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

A - Poured a clear golden color with a white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is of sweet malt with mild hops

T - Is pretty good malt sweetness upfront backed by some hops

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation to it

D - Pilsners aren't a style that I go out of my way to try but after this one showed up at my door it was a pretty good example of the style worth a try sometime

armock, Oct 27, 2009