Licher Pils - Licher Privatbrauerei

good

Licher Privatbrauerei visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 07-13-2003)
3.75/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

11.2 oz. bottle served at fridge temperature in a Hennepin glass. I couldn't pass up a sixer on sale for under $4.75 at Bottle King... the weather's getting hot and a clean, German pils is what I'm after today.

Appearance- This beer pours a very light maize, with plenty of carbonation and a two finger white crown. There's plenty of lacing to admire here, sticking in horizontal patches inside the glass.

Smell- Grassy and clean, the hops and malt leave no guesswork as to their German character... a balanced, honest pilsener nose that beckons the first sip.

Taste- A very well balanced one-two punch of malt and hops, earthy and grassy with just the right touch of sweetness in the middle. A mild but enjoyable bitterness follows the swallow... hey that rhymes... nice overall.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- The initial blistering texture quickly eases up and goes moderate on the tongue, allowing the ingredients to be fully realized. Pleasant without any hindrances, it should be a candidate for anyone looking for an inexpensive Summertime beer that can be enjoyed alone or with anything off the barbecue.

I found this at Bottle King on special for $4.24 for a 6-pack (!), and I'd never seen it before, so at that price I had to try it. I'm really glad I did. I've been in English ale mode for awhile recently, and was kind of shunning lagers as I thought I wasn't in the mood. But sipping this immediately reminded me how good a German beer can be. This has a really nice yeasty taste, and is very flavorful without overstepping in any way. Not to say that this is an amazing beer, but at this price, it's incredible.

4.08/5  rDev +12.7%

This is a nice, crisp, tasty German pilsner that I had on tap at the Frankfurt airport.

It's golden with a nice, fairly big white head, slowly shrinking to leave a small, permanent top and nice rings of lace.

The aroma is a good German pilsner, bready with herbs.

The taste is similar, a definite German pilsner character with bread and plenty of herbs, a light but dominant, clean, persistent bitterness throughout, giving a clean, satisfying drink if not one that's really great.

3.6/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bottle from Party Town.

A - Poured a clear pale color with a large frothy white head that mostly lasted with good lacing.

S- Moderate grassy hop aroma.

T - Medium bitter flavor with a medium bitter finish of moderate duration.

M - Medium body with a sticky texture and lively carbonation.

D - Refreshing brew that I would recommend as a session beer.

3.93/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured this 11.2 oz. brown bottle into a pils glass. Coded: LIA 09 12 28??? Picked up a 6-pack of this at the local grocery. I'd never seen/heard of it before but the price was right and it was in brown bottles with packaging cover the bottles. It looked like it was protected from light damage pretty well so for $5.99 I took a chance. I'm glad I did. The body was clear pale yellow with a crisp white, whispy head. The tall brittle head left clump lace down the glass.

Smell was citrus. Fresh grains. hints of detergent. clean.

Taste was herbal. Minty?. Crisp light bittering linger. Drying finish.

Mouthfeel was bright and zesty. Medium to light body. Short finish. Very nice inexpensive pils.

2.78/5  rDev -23.2%

A beer new to Lexington and to me. I got quite excited at the price and packaging, as this looked like it might hit that cheap Liedl/Penny Markt pils flavor that I oddly miss. Of all the variations and nuances differentiating German pilseners, too few are represented (at least to the Lexington Market) here in the U.S.

Poured into a Champagne glass for lack of a proper pils tulip, it is quite the pale yellow, with decent head/lacing.

Some grassy hops and bread malts in the nose. Not quite the hopfenextrakt musty bomb I had anticipated, but still gave me a hint of what I was hoping for.

Flavor is a little more alcoholic in the finish than normal, bitterness appropriate and malt sweetness slightly more prominent than average.

Yeah I could drink a bunch of these. I drank plenty worse of the aforementioned Liedl plastic bottles. Still, this is far from satisfying the Herb aspect of a pils like Jever or the sweet malt/floral hop balance of Rothaus.

3.78/5  rDev +4.4%

11.2 oz bottle

Pours a clear golden yellow color with a small slightly sticky white head. Pale malt, dry bitter hop spice as well as citrus fruits and a soapy mint note. Very simple in overall character. Light in body, bright in carbonation. Overall refreshing and highly drinkable.

3.93/5  rDev +8.6%

This is one of my favorite german beers. It goes down nicely and the taste isn't overwhelming for this pilsner. I've had this from tap and a bottle. Both are enjoyable and perfect on a thirsty summer day.I love it and I can't wait to have a few more when I go back to Germany in June. Cheers!

2.8/5  rDev -22.7%

500ml bottle served in a footed German Pilsener Glass

Smell, creamy nose, little bready, mostly a cream and banana smell

Taste, Wow, again, pretty creamy, big sweet malts up front, and in the middle. Almost sugary. Banana, bread(yeast) and sweet flavors dominate this one for sure. Also this one has a fairly thick body for the style, no dominant bitterness, not sure where this one was headed.

Overall, not a very good German Pilsener, or maybe I'm missing this one's "complexity." Off flavors, thick body, I won't be picking this one up again unless I'm assured it is a fresh bottle.

Licher Pils from Licher Privatbrauerei