Licher Oktoberfest - Licher Privatbrauerei

Licher Privatbrauerei visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: LiquidAmber on 09-26-2013)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by mattknueven:

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Enjoyed on tap. Pours a light, clear straw color with a foamy white head.
The aroma is loaded with sweet malt: biscuit and bread with a hint of caramel.
Tastes quite nice. Malt body followed by a sharp hop bite.
Mouthfeel is about medium.
A good Marzen.

3.33/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours a golden straw color with a big fluffy white head that dissipates into a solid cap. Good amount of spotty lacing around the glass.

The aroma is quite bready, a touch doughy. Some dry grass and grain aromas. Perhaps a slight pepper note from the hops. Kind of a cross between a Euro lager and a helles.

The taste is quite grainy and has some honey sweetness. Grassy with sulfur notes and the malt has some bready flavors. A bit metallic. A peppery spice from the hops. Me thinks that it needs a bit more of a munich malt presence to give the beer more of an authentic Oktoberfest flavor. This beers seems to side more on the Euro lager (Heineken) flavor profile.

The beer is light with rather soft carbonation. Its sweet yet balanced on the palate. An easy drinking brew for some stein hoisting.

A little disappointed with this brew as it tastes more like a Euro lager.

3.01/5  rDev -17.3%

Pours a golden yellow with a short lived medium white head. Aroma and taste of grains and cereal with some grass notes and some mild biscuit malt and light hops. Palate is a medium body with mild carbonation. The finish is somewhat subdued in flavor and aroma, I found this to be more straight lager then Oktoberfest, I did not taste any toasted malt or earthy flavors. Overall that being said a mediocre Oktoberfest.

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

3.7/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a light golden amber with a half finger white head with decent retention and light lacing. Aroma of lightly toasted and biscuit malt, faint grassy hops. Flavor is sweet biscuit malt, grassy hops, touch of wheat; finishes with lingering grassy hops and a touch of toasted malt. Medium bodied with good carbonation. A mild, well balanced Oktoberfest beer, fairly light in color for the style, but covers the flavor bases for the style. An easy drinking lightly sweet lager.

3.83/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: The beer is crystal clear yellow in color with some hints of amber and has a light to moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high white head that quickly died down, leaving a thin film of bubbles covering the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of toasted malts are present in the nose along with notes of herbal hops.
T: The taste very much follows the smell and has flavors of toasted malts. There is a light to moderate amount of bitterness from the hops, and this negates any traces of malty sweetness.
M: It feels a bit more than medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: I found this beer to be a very good representation of a German Märzen that was quite easy to drink and true to its style.

3.1/5  rDev -14.8%

I picked up a bottle of Licher's Oktoberfest a couple weeks ago for $2.99 at The Lager Mill. I heard that this was a pretty good and authentic example of Germam Marzen and I'm Interested in seeing how it stacks up to the other ones that I have tried, so lets see how it goes. There's some numbers that look like a bottling date, but I can't decode it. Poured from a brown 500ml bottle poured into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, i cant tell if there's a hummingbird or kingfisher on the label,but it's got a nice clean look to it. It poured a nice clear yellow color that took on more of golden color when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of fluffy off white head that died down to a thin ring that left a little bit of sticky lacing behind. This is was a nice looking beer, but the color was a little off for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by lots of malts that impart a grainy, and sweet malt aromas with some cracker and biscuit malt like aromas sticking out the most. Up next comes some doughy yeast and a slight bready aroma. The aroma was just ok, but it was missing that toasted malt aspect that i look for in the style and the aroma was more like a German Lager than a Marzen.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness that had a light honey like flavor to it and it was followed by some malts that impart all the malty aspects that I got in the aroma with the bready, sweet malt, and biscuit malt aspects sticking out the most. Up next come some doughy yeast with no bitterness at the end and a little more sweetness with a sweet malt, bready, and biscuit like aftertaste. This beer tasted ok, but to me it was more like a regular German Lager than a Marzen.

M- Very smooth, clean, crisp, light bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this beer was just ok and it wasn't a good example of the style but if this was classified as a German Lager I think I would say it's pretty true to style, it just doesn't deliver what I want from an Oktoberfest. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, clean, crisp and not filling, but the taste was pretty bland and it didn't do a good job at holding my attention, I think one 500ml bottle is enough for me, the taste doesn't make me come back for more. What I liked the most about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was how off it was for the style, if I tasted this blind i'm pretty sure I would think it's just a normal German made Lager. I wouldn't buy this beer again since it just didn't live up to my expectations and I don't think I would recommend it as a good Oktoberfest. All in all i wasn't really feeling this beer, it just isn't what I want from the style and it seemed to be pretty average in most aspects. Better luck next time Licher, this one isn't that on par for the style. It didn't make for the best first impression for this brewery, but I wouldn't rule out trying more of their beers.

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

3.98/5  rDev +9.3%

I scored this at Monde Market in Philly and given its price point, I do not see how I can go wrong.

My initial pour netted two fingers of fluffy, tawny head with moderate retention. Color was a deep-amber (SRM = 8) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was quite sweet with its inherent malt, kind of like honey drizzled over biscuits. Mouthfeel was medium and the flavor was initially very honey-like leaving no question that it was a lager. A grassy hoppiness asserted itself on the finish. Great lacing began to appear from the first sip. My, but this was tasty and so inexpensive! I am like Dos Equis' Most Interesting Man in the World in that I do not always drink Marzens/Oktoberfests, but when I do, I know what I like. This was clean and refreshing and I really feel like I got my money's worth. I am not saying that it is worth actively seeking out, but if you see it and you have a little change in your pocket going ching-a-ling-a-ling, it would be worth a try.

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

4.11/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

On tap at the Bier Stein last night.

The beer pours a golden amber color with fairly decent head retention and light lacing. The nose is attractive as well, with the beer displaying considerable sweet malt. That imparts something of a cherry aroma, which plays well with the light vanilla and citrus. The flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely, and while there was indeed considerable sweet malt on the palate, there's enough hoppy bitterness to counter it, and to keep the beer from becoming tiring on the finish. Mouthfeel is actually fairly light, and drinkability is fantastic. Also, this beer really delivers a lot of flavor for such a low abv. beer.

Really liked this one from a brewery I've never heard of. Would most definitely order this again, should I ever see it again.

2.85/5  rDev -21.7%

Golden orange color in the class with a brief head. Average carbonation to start but it all dissipates. Coarse mouthfeel and then just a slight dribble of bubbles. Eurolager smell with that funky hop note.

A glimmer of malt and caramel to start. Flat flavor of cereal. This has that faintly skunky European hop flavor that you find in typical cheap lagers. Even less pleasant is the somewhat metallic finish. Some bubblegum and burnt toast.

I'm afraid this is just below-average crap beer. To be charitable, it might be less than fresh. I bought the 500 ml bottle at Beverage Warehouse in far west Los Angeles.

3.75/5  rDev +3%

A clear orange in color with a thin tan head. Aromas of sweet grain. Taste is sweet malt, followed by some toffee, finishing with a mild grassy bitterness. Average mouthfeel. Overall a very good marzen.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »