Tatonka Stout - BJ's Chicago Pizza & Brewery Inc.

Tatonka StoutTatonka Stout

good

BJ's Chicago Pizza & Brewery Inc. visit their website
United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  8.50% ABV

An imperial stout — a classic style so rich and flavorful that it was once the private beverage of Russian Czars. The profile is malty sweet, hop bitter roasted, full-bodied, alcoholic and deliciously complex. Beer doesn’t get much more intense than this!

(Beer added by: pezoids on 10-13-2002)

4.75/5  rDev +27.7%

4.7/5  rDev +26.3%

If this is even merely a decent example of a Russian Imperial Stout, then I believe may have found my favorite beer style.

Appearance: Jet black with moderate head and thick tan lacing.

Smell: Roasted malt, coffee, and chocolate.

Taste: Rich creamy chocolate and coffee characteristics. The high ABV was noticeable but not the most salient aspect of the taste (which would be chocolate/coffee/coco).

Mouthfeel: Heavy and thick with a creamy smooth start and finish.

Drinkability: Two glasses is nice with dinner but three would be pushing for me because of the ABV.

4.63/5  rDev +24.5%

Outside of a pint of Guinness in Ireland this is my favorite beer. Do not get me wrong, it is not at all like Guinness. The stupid thing is that it is not even as good as it used to be. An imperial stout has three characteristics: strong, a bit sweet, a burnt taste. I almost never like a sweet beer and when our local BJ's opened I tasted it with no expectations of liking it. I wish I was good at describing tastes, all I know is that this classic burnt taste and a hint of sweetness really worked for me. Unfortunately they messed with the recipe and hopped it up. My feeling is that the burnt taste of a stout and hops do not mix well. Yet this is still such a damn good beer I go there just because that is the only way I can get it.

4.55/5  rDev +22.3%

4.5/5  rDev +21%

4.5/5  rDev +21%

4.43/5  rDev +19.1%

BJ's Brewery: Tatonka Stout

Served on draft at BJ's Brewhouse in Corona, CA

A: Poured as a deep dark, jet-black stout with a thin one-finger mousy head. I attempted to shine a light through one side of the glass to see if it would come out the other end and this black-hole-of-a-beer swallowed all of the light.

S: Smells of rich roasted malts, anise, coffee, and chocolate.

T: The taste is heavenly and sweet, just as an imperial stout should be. The after taste lingers for quite some time after its finished.

M: Thick, velvety smooth, and with light carbonation.

D: Its great warm or cold, though I prefer it cold. Its very sweet and thick so it can be a bit hard to drink in succession but your taste buds will be begging for more.

I have been drinking this brew for about three years now and every year it seems to get better and better. This beer has transformed from a light bodied stout to a hefty Imperial Stout. It tastes great and smells great and will make you feel pretty good. I recommend having a South West Chicken Sandwich with it. Enjoy!

4.43/5  rDev +19.1%

Sampled on Cask from BJ's Woodland Hills, CA
Cask had been tapped 3 days prior.

Under normal nitro draft service, Tatonka is a reliable Imperial Stout carrying all of the expected coffee roasted notes of the roast barley. However, Tatonka has a harsh acidity from the roast in the palate that is enhanced by the CO2. This acidity is what keeps Tatonka from being my favorite BJ's beer.

Cask service makes this beer shine in a whole other light. The nose is softer with coffee tones subdued and replaced by chocolate and plums. The flavor is richer and rounder with a softer roast profile by far. Thanks to the slightly warmer service and lower CO2 levels, the beer really comes through with a profile less like an Imperial Stout and more like an extra rich Foreign Stout.

Definately a treat if you can find it.

4.4/5  rDev +18.3%

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%

An all around good Imp. Stout. This one poured a nice dark black with a fluffy brown head that lasted till the last drop and left a whole lotta lace. The smell was a little sweeter than I was expecting, and had a good chocolate scent going for it. The taste was great and a little more hoppy than I was expecting but it was very good. Good dose of chocolate and light coffee flavours as well. This one went down very easy and I could have had many more of these, good job!

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%

This is one of my favorite chain brewhouse beers, and it runs circles around stouts by famous local California brewpubs like Tied House and Gordon Biersch. The Tatonka has a massive coffee/dark chocoloate thing going on, with plenty of ABV but masked very well. It doesn't do the cascading foam like Guinness but the taste and mouthfeel more than make up for it the more sedate appearance. This is the only brew I get at BJs unless they also have Sierra Nevada Torpedo. It may be a nitro-tap, I am not sure of that.

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%

Drink this all the time when I go to BJ's Brewhouse on the south side of Indianapolis.

Very dark and stout beer. I just love watching the rings form on my glass each time I take a drink from the lacing.

The taste is very roasty with a malty, chocolaty and coffee feel.

If you go out and can get this I would recommend you give this a try.

4.33/5  rDev +16.4%

A nice example of an imperial stout. I would have liked it served in a tulip instead of a pint, but that's a minor quibble. Black in color with a thick coffee-colored head. Chocolate and coffee aroma. The taste was similar, with a nice balance between the chocolate and coffee. Did not think the alcohol was noticeable. A rich, rewarding beer.

4.22/5  rDev +13.4%

Another one of the BJ's brews that are constantly available. Tatonka's appearance is dark chocolate brown, almost black, with a light head that stays throughout the pint. Smell is light, like most of the brewpub offerings I've had, and mildly of roasted malts. Taste is very complex. Roasted malts are prominent, but a wine-like taste with a hint of vanilla is strong towards a sip's middle. A very light alcohol taste is also noted in the finish. I really enjoyed this beer and must say it was the best of my BJ's visit.

4.2/5  rDev +12.9%

4.1/5  rDev +10.2%

I actually tasted it at the one in Temple, TX. Made in Houston.
Very drinkable, largely in part to the nitro. I liked it better after it warmed. Like a toned down and more market friendly version of Saint Arnold's Russian Imperial Stout (DR#5) with nitro carbonation. While I would rather it not be on nitro, it was done very well. Alcohol was hardly noticeable.

Tatonka Stout from BJ's Chicago Pizza & Brewery Inc.