Carib Shandy - Carib Brewery Limited

Carib ShandyCarib Shandy

Carib Brewery Limited visit their website
Trinidad & Tobago

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  1.20% ABV

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 05-14-2002)
Reviews by NearerMyBeerToMe:
NearerMyBeerToMe

1.25/5  rDev -51.2%

Beer? Thin layer of pink foam sitting on top of neon red Kool-Aid. A few tiny bubbles of carbonation. Smells like... Lord almighty... this is hard to even get past my nose. Cardboard. Smells like cardboard soaked with urine-diluted candied ginger. Absolutely horrific. Tastes like wax. Wax!? Cinnamon floating through dregs of jellied cranberry sauce is as good as it gets. Mouthfeel is as flat and syrupy as a can of soda that got opened two days ago and left for dead on the kitchen counter. I'm glad to be splitting the bottle with two other people, because I'm sure 4oz. of this is all I could physically accomplish. Cruel and unusual stuff.

10-25-2005 06:23:34 | More by NearerMyBeerToMe
NeroFiddled

3.33/5  rDev +30.1%

As previously stated, this is much more like a ginger soda (I'm thinking the Reed's brand) than beer. It's sweet and gingery. That said, it's hard to compare this to other beers, or even rate it on its own. I enjoyed it very much though, and I'd certainly have another, but I wouldn't reach for it when I wanted a beer.

06-18-2006 14:17:41 | More by NeroFiddled
arguemaniac

2.05/5  rDev -19.9%

Is this really a beer? Not that it was awful in and of itself, but it tastes almost exactly like a bland cream soda with ginger flavoring and doesn’t in any way resemble a beer. I didn’t taste any alcohol or any sort of hop flavor and bitterness. And there wasn’t any substantial grain flavor of any kind. It was easy enough to drink, IMO, with a nice ginger zing and a soda-like sweetness (but keep in mind I have a huge sweet tooth and actually enjoy drinking soda, you may not). But really, it basically fails as a beer. Not recommended.

03-25-2006 00:07:26 | More by arguemaniac
jdhilt

New Hampshire

3.58/5  rDev +39.8%

Here is a lager with a ton of ginger in it. Very strong ginger/citrus smell. An excellent lawn mower beer where you could pound down a lot of these with little effect - the low ABV. Clear 12oz bottle, caramel color, no detectable hops. The importer is DCI Miami Inc.

05-14-2002 14:49:31 | More by jdhilt
zeff80

Missouri

2.05/5  rDev -19.9%

A - Poured out an orange, light brown color with no head. It was very fizzy and highly carbonated.

S - It smelled of ginger. No beer aromas.

T - It tasted of ginger and was quite sweet. No beer/lager flavors.

M - It was fairly crisp and sharp. A very light-bodied beer.

D - If you like ginger this is great, but it isn't beer-like at all.

06-16-2008 00:28:15 | More by zeff80
WesWes

2.6/5  rDev +1.6%

The beer pours a pale, almost clear brown color with little to no head at all. The aroma is pretty decent. Although it has little actual beer aroma, it does have a wonderful ginger scent. The taste is below average. It has an intense ginger beer flavor that is dry and quite spicey. It is crisp hard to drink. The mouthfeel is terrible. It is a medium bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a beer that needs to be discontinued. It's horrible. I love ginger, but this is not a good taste. It's time for the drain pour.

03-25-2006 21:25:29 | More by WesWes
Beastdog75

1.85/5  rDev -27.7%

I hear that there are two varieties of this: ginger and sorrel. The version that I had was sorrel, which is supposedly some kind of herb. Anyway, even though the label says "an exciting blend of lager and sorrel," there was nothing in this to tell me that I was drinking a beer. Absolutely nothing. This was more like some kind of alcopop.

Carib Shandy poured a bright, cherry red color with a pale red foam that disappeared rather quickly. The smell was very sweet, like fruit punch and spices. The mouthfeel was thin and soda like. The taste was sickenly sweet: fruit punch with some spicy flavors, like ginger and nutmeg. No malt detected, no hops. The aftertaste was heavy on clove flavor (I started choking on it). This has no alcoholic warmth. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought I was drinking one of those "exotic sodas" that can be found at a specialty market.

If you have friends that don't like beer but like sweet mixed drinks, they will probably like this. Simply put, it was not beery enough for me. I admit to drinking a lot of soda when I'm not drinking beer, but even this was not my cup of tea.

Edit - 10/19/04

I finally tried the ginger version of this. It has a light tan, ginger ale color to it. Some foam forms but it fizzes instantly away like soda. The aroma is sugary sweet and gingery, with a mouthfeel much like ginger ale. The flavor is sweet and gingery. It isn't as intense as a ginger beer, but still has a tiny bit more burn than a ginger ale. The aftertaste has some ginger flavor lingering along with some bready notes (the only beer-llike characteristic I detected. No alcoholic warmth to finish it out.

This is basically alcoholic ginger ale. It was much better than the bright red sorrel version, but it is still more alcopop than beer. I could actually imagine drinking this as a refreshing beverage, unlike the cloying sorrel version. My score remains unchanged and still reflects the sorrel variety.

09-18-2003 19:33:37 | More by Beastdog75
simmons

UncleJimbo pretty much hit this right on. With a clear bottle you can see the Carmel colored ginger “beer” that sits inside. No malt of hop flavors at all, plenty of ginger though. This stuff tastes exactly like ginger ale with no hint of alcohol in it at all. My friends and I were actual wondering if it alcoholic at all. Over all I like it as a ginger ale the alcohol in it is a plus but you would never know unless you drink alot and I really don’t see me doing that, one is plenty. i guess when i reviewed the percentages it was more for a ginger ale then a beer cause whats average when this is the first of its kind thta i have ran into. I’m not a big fan of ginger but if you Canada dry give this a try. It’s something different. Actually I just noticed that it was 1.2% is that right??? If so it makes sense. Oh well.

02-25-2004 16:44:07 | More by simmons
Drew966

2.73/5  rDev +6.6%

Carib Shandy pours a golden color with a thin white head from a clear twelve ounce bottle. It smells quite like ginger ale soda. The taste is very sweet, too sweet for my taste, even for soda. The ginger is ever present, but not too strong of a bite (I've had ginger ale soda that packed quite a bite). I can't particularly spot any beer like qualities. Not bad, but not really beer. Worth a try if you like ginger ale.

07-16-2007 00:03:34 | More by Drew966
UncleJimbo

2.68/5  rDev +4.7%

12 oz, clear longneck bottle, capped, BBE date stamped on the bottle

This was a difficult one to review because frankly it tasted like gingerale, not beer.

This shandy poured a clear, caramel-amber, with thin foam that settled immediately to leave a flat beverage. The smell was almost completely ginger. This was a nice, ginger aroma, but not beer-like at all. The taste was sweet, sugary, and very gingery with no hops or even malt detectable. The mouthfeel was sweet and smooth, almost syrupy. It was creamy, like soda, like ginger ale. A very nice feel, but not really beer-like. This was a tasty beverage and was very refreshing, but it was more like a soda than a beer.

10-18-2003 07:22:30 | More by UncleJimbo
RoryOMoore

02-27-2012 08:02:12 | More by RoryOMoore
ashleyshalyn

2.6/5  rDev +1.6%

First I would like to state that this should not be rated/reviewed/discussed like a beer even though it is a "ginger beer".... it should be reviewed more along the lines of a cider. Even though the bottle says "lager with natural ginger flavour and caramel colour" DO NOT expect to taste anything the resemblers a lager.

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a 12 oz tumbler glass.

A: well... caramel/ginger color w/ no head at all. Pours like a soda.

S: Ginger ginger ginger... but not a true ginger smell. I eat fresh ginger almost on a weekly basis grated up in soy sauce for salad dressing and in stir fry... this is more of a candied ginger scent, but not like ginger bread... there is almost no yeast scent at all.

T: It has a similar carbonation, mouthfeel, and flavour of a traditional Caribbean ginger-ale although it is evident that the ginger used was not fresh, but rather an extract. Super high on the sugar with a strong ginger bite at the end.

Do not drink this thinking of beer even though it is technically a lager... think "ginger wine cooler" and you will be much more satisfied.

02-05-2006 04:01:00 | More by ashleyshalyn