1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Carib Lager - Carib Brewery Limited

Carib LagerCarib Lager

poor

pDev: 25%

Carib Brewery Limited visit their website
Trinidad & Tobago

American Adjunct Lager |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: canadianbarman on 01-30-2001)
View: Beers (11) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Carib Lager Alström Bros
Ratings: 290 | Reviews: 148 | Show All Ratings:
Brent

Kentucky

1.05/5  rDev -62.5%

Maybe I just got hold of a bad bottle, but this was undrinkable. Overpowering skunk aroma (clear bottle = light-struck), but even if it had been kept in the dark, this beer had very little going for it.

03-09-2001 17:35:54 | More by Brent
amstelcat

1.05/5  rDev -62.5%

No, no, no, no, no do not pay good money for this beer. I was lucky and a friend of mine who knows I like good beer mistakenly brought this over just because it was kinda expensive so I didn't have to pay for it.

In a clear bottle made in a warm, sunny country? Gonna be trouble.
Pale yellow color, skunky aroma, skunk taste with just a dash of garbage. Everytime I brought this to my face to drink I got that nasty smell. I even squeezed a bit of lime in there hoping to make it more palatable, no luck.

This just doesn't taste good to me at all.

12-07-2006 19:08:48 | More by amstelcat
dustydoggie

1.13/5  rDev -59.6%

I have to say that this was probably one of the worst beers I've ever had. At least a bud light may be bolted down on a hot day on the beach. This stuff was awful. I was at a party last night where Carib was served. Upon pouring into a glass (splitting it with my sister), one sip each, and we quietly worked our way into the kitchen. Down the drain it went.

Appearance - light yellow in a clear bottle, poured with virtually no head.

Smell - smelled like a cheap lager

mouthfeel - watery and without even any significant carbonation

drinkability - undrinkable

Forgive me if this review isn't up to BA standards. This is my very first review. I just felt the need to scare off any beer aficionado who may be contemplating purchasing this swill. Don't do it.

04-26-2009 22:53:15 | More by dustydoggie
corby112

1.18/5  rDev -57.9%

This was everywhere in the three port stops of a recent carribean cruise so I decided to try it in St. Martin.

Pours a clear, dark golden yellow color with a half finger white foam head that quickly dissipates into a thin lasting ring. Minimal spots of lace left behind.

Slightly earthy, metallic aroma with faint hints of hops but it's overpowered by a a very grainy corn/adjunct presence. Smells pretty bad.

On the lighter end of medium boded with a dry earthy bitterness up front that lingers over the sweet corny, metallic body into an astringent dry finish. Funky and metallic with lots of grainy sweet corn flavor. A below average adjunct lager that is tough to drink even on a hot day in St. Martin.

04-01-2011 06:14:47 | More by corby112
tigerpaws

South Carolina

1.23/5  rDev -56.1%

Well I have to use at least 150 characters or I would simply put "not a good beer". No color, bad skunky scent and the aftertaste awful. This beer makes Corona seem like champagne...............CHEERS

07-05-2002 23:31:30 | More by tigerpaws
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

1.27/5  rDev -54.6%

Best Before: Oct/09.

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear, yellow body and despite a continually heavier pour, I just can't coax more than a few bubbles to form an ultra thin, white head. Ah well.

Smell: What a stink! Extraordinarily skunky aroma that strikes your nose mere seconds after the bottle is opened. If you don't mind a big snootful of skunk with each whiff, you can barely make out faint hints of cereal-scented malts.

Taste: Gah! Oh, how horrid. Some pale malts with a cereal sweetness and very minor hop character and bitterness, but mostly you're treated to a whole host of icky tastes. Plasticy, skunk spray, and metallic! Three disastrous tastes together at last. A couple glasses of cool, clean water only begin to wash that out.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: As much as I usually appreciate it's inclusion on the bottle or label, the Best Before date serves no purpose whatsoever here, as this beer died an ignoble death long, long before October 2009. Sure, the year is still young, but this is, by far, the worst beer I've had all year! Avoid at all cost.

01-15-2009 18:57:32 | More by ChainGangGuy
chaduvel

1.35/5  rDev -51.8%

Found this one in a friend's fridge, her roommate recently returned from Trinidad/Tobago. Appearance was a pale fizzy yellow, not bad, but not impressive. Smell is of old corn/rice and skunk. Pew. Taste was horrendous. A skunky malt liquor flavor mixed with sweet rice/corn adjunct. Maybe it went bad on it's journey from the Carib-bean? Looks like I should have gone for the Sam Light that was also in the fridge...

03-10-2004 20:31:18 | More by chaduvel
Dogbrick

1.75/5  rDev -37.5%

Pours clear yellow-golden with a thin white head that dissipates rapidly. Nil lacing. Slightly skunked aroma with mild hops. Light-bodied with a bland hoppy flavor, along with a touch of stale malt. Some skunkiness here as well. The finish is bubbly and mildly bitter. I wouldn’t drink this again, and would rather have a Margarita on the beach than this.

06-23-2006 14:38:48 | More by Dogbrick
AltBock

1.75/5  rDev -37.5%

12 oz. crystal clear bottle with a simple royal blue label that has the name of the beer in a bright yellow oval. The back label contains all the mandatory US information and the Carib symbol at the top. If you look closely at the neck of the bottle, you'll see a stamped best before date. Mine was best before Oct 2008.

When poured into a DFH pint glass, Carib looked a little less different than what it looked like in the clear bottle. It was still that urine yellow color, but when it was poured, it was a little paler than what I had seen in the bottle. The head of foam was short lived. When I say short lived, I mean it was gone in a blink of an eye. If you blink, you'll miss it. It didn't even leave behind any spots of lace saying that the head of foam was even really there.

This beer stunk! It reeked of cheap malted grains with a big whiff of light struck skunkyness backing it up. To be honest, even if this beer didn't have the skunkyness to it, I fully doubt that it would have smelled any better than what it did.

The taste was a tad bit better than the aroma, but that's not saying much. The taste was slightly sweet with sweet malted grains with little or no skunk in the background. I wish I could say more about the taste, but that's all folks for the taste.

The mouthfeel was extremely light with no aftertaste whatsoever. After the taste was done, it washed itself away like water.

Sometimes it felt like I was drinking a nasty water than a beer. The only time I could actually see somebody drinking this stuff is on a hot sandy beach in the Caribbean. If you do take the chance and drinking this stuff, try your best to drink it fresh. It's sad that the best before date doesn't help.

04-21-2009 17:27:43 | More by AltBock
jwhawkins81

1.75/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Aroma - Clear bottle skunked aroma

Appearance - Extremely pale yellow with a decent amount of carbonation not really any head to speak of.

Taste - Weird I don't think I've tasted anything like this. Kind of a dry slightly nutty flavor. Not good. No detectable sweetness. Unoffensive enough maybe a hint of sour cabbage in there. Something is definitely off.

Mouthfeel - Thin and still needs a little more carbonation.

Drinkability - If you are in Trinidad give Stag a try.

05-16-2009 21:48:03 | More by jwhawkins81
WCBCFrank

1.78/5  rDev -36.4%

Carib is Miller High Life, Bud, Corona, Tecate, Modelo Especial, and Pacifico rolled into one corn-fed lager. Carib pours golden in a pint glass. There is lots of sweet malty corn in this brew, so much so I could not take more than three sips.

For the novice: Save your money and continue to buy your choice of the American/Mexican brands listed above.

Personally: I think I was more upset that a friend's father actually plunked down 26 dollars for a case of this stuff, when he could have saved his money and bought Lionshead or Iron City instead.

08-11-2009 18:50:40 | More by WCBCFrank
ikats

1.88/5  rDev -32.9%

Light yellow, clear. Full white head stays for a while. Not the prettiest beer, but on a hot day its lightness maybe welcome. It's light body too. The smell contains grass notes, some metallic essence. Not terrible for a macro lager. The taste is all wrong. Maybe it's the bottle. I'll grab my second bottle which came from a different source...

... Nope, still the taste feels wrong. The second bottle has a "best before" date and I am about half a year too late, which for a clear bottle is a lot. By the way, I am not a big fan of the clear bottle. This beer is probably better fresh, but for now the weird combination of sweetness and bitterness ruins it for me.

Going through other reviews, I've noticed that a lot of high marks come from some Caribbean experience. I'm guessing nice, hot weather and beautiful, relaxed beach does wonders for this beer. It'll probably go well during carnival in Trinidad. My review stands until such times.

11-22-2005 04:12:54 | More by ikats
Vdubb86

1.93/5  rDev -31.1%

Served in a snifter...cuz that's how I roll!

This beer was given to me by my island hopping girlfriend who was certain I'd never had a beer from T&T. She was right as per usual. This beer was yellow. There was a fizzy white foam to the top of it, but honestly, not the most desirable appearance. Now I know that you're not supposed to review skunked beers, but I felt that this beer probably didn't smell much better even having not been skunked. The aroma of this beer taught me truly what the full force of skunking can turn into. I at least hope that it was skunking, because it smelled like skunk roadkill. It was REALLY FUNKY. I caught the whiff when opening the bottle and was afraid to continue. I trudged forward. Maybe it was because it smelled so bad, but I thought the taste was okay for the style at least. It really wasn't all that pleasant, but with how bad it smelled it was a gigantic improvement. The fizzy yellow water went down pretty easy, I wasn't impressed with it at all. This made the room smell like a skunk was spooked outside, thumbs down.

04-03-2011 05:52:25 | More by Vdubb86
marburg

1.98/5  rDev -29.3%

Great color -- clear as can be with a perfect golden hue. Decent nearly pure white head on top. Barely any aroma -- a little lemon grassy, perhaps. Light flavor finishes with the taste of canned beer, a little bit of the steel drum flavor happening here. Not terrible though. It didn't cause me to wretch as it warmed, which is always a positive sign for pale lagers in my book. Pretty well carbonated which made it a little filling for the style.

08-27-2003 02:50:13 | More by marburg
prototypic

1.98/5  rDev -29.3%

I suppose this is going to be a reminder of perhaps the only painful aspect of my trip to Jamaica last summer. Our room happened to be stocked with this stuff and I had to drink a few of them. Not a good experience.

It's very clear and pours a very light gold color. A forceful pour yielded a foamy white head that was about three fingers deep. Sadly, it disappeared far too quickly and left very light lacing behind. Given the surprising head stature, I'll be honest and fair...it's above average (especially for the style).

Here's where things get a little ugly. I could smell this skunky beast when I cracked the cap! Whoa! The skunk is strong with this one. Ugh...the memories. Once you find your way past that, it's grainy and vegetal. Yeah, that ugly corn smell is here, too. Some light sweet malt is noted. If there's any hops here, I can't tell. Perhaps they're buried beneath this avalanche of putrescence. Do I really need to cap this off by stating how bad it is? The smell is honestly astonishing.

The flavor is better. It's not good. Hell, it's still well below average, but it's easily a notch better than the nose. It's primarily grainy. There are some sweet malty flavors that are okay, but aren't quite redeeming. Corn and strong vegetal flavor notes are prominent. Not good. Some light floral hop notes help it out a little. There's a spicy quality to them that emerges on the tail. That aspect's not bad either. But, the strong vegetal flavor is way too much to overcome. It taints the overall flavor such that there's simply nothing that could make it pleasant or enjoyable. It is slightly better than the smell, but nowhere even close to being good.

The body is light and feels a bit watered down. Carbonation is buzzy and crisp. It's not smooth or impressive. Drinkability is likewise unimpressive. This stuff doesn't taste good and does not go down easily. Frankly, I'm fighting it down, but managing. Do not want anymore.

Carib Lager is not good beer. I admit, I had a few during my trek to Jamaica, but didn't enjoy it at all. If you have trouble getting a beer like this down in paradise, it's struggling. That's exactly the case. The nose is the worst of it. The flavor isn't good, but it isn't quite sickening. The nose...well...it's not that far from it. Not good stuff at all. I'd strongly suggest taking a pass.

05-23-2009 02:43:00 | More by prototypic
Beastdog75

2.03/5  rDev -27.5%

When I think of the great brewing nations of the world, Trinidad and Tobago isn't amongst them. Carib seems suspiciously a lot like Corona, from the clear bottle with painted on label to the yellow color and skunky aroma.

Carib pours a light yellow color with a somewhat decent white foam head that leaves some sticky lace. The smell was of pure skunk. The mouthfeel is thin and not unlike seltzer water. The skunk carries over to the flavor, and underneath that the cheap flavors of adjunct grains and corn are noticeable, giving a husky/musty grain flavor to the beer. There is some light fruitiness in the flavor as well. Not much in the line of hop bitterness in this beer, although it is slightly detectable in the finish. The aftertaste is a continuation of the cheap adjunct flavors, and this beer finishes off with no alcoholic warmth.

I wish I could say more about this beer, but it would probably end up reading a lot like my review for Corona. This is one beer that would benefit from the addition of citrus as well. This is a weak tropical beer that doesn't have too many redeeming qualities about it. Don't let this one warm up either: drink it cold.

08-17-2003 05:16:09 | More by Beastdog75
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.05/5  rDev -26.8%

Clear, pallid gold with a small number of fine, floaty bits. Thanks to the clear glass bottle, the color can be 'enjoyed' without ever opening the beer. Given the smell that greets my nose on the pour, that might not be such a bad idea. The good looking head of bleached bone white is superior to the heads on most macro lagers and drops a fair amount of lace to boot.

The cloud of sulfurous skunk is only now beginning to dissipate, but is still noticeable when I stick my nose into the glass. Underneath is a sweet graininess that might not be bad if I was able to appreciate it unaccompanied by such pungently musky, possibly light-struck hops. While Carib isn't a total loss, the clear glass bottle has seen to it that off-aromas, and probably off-flavors, are pervasive.

Things aren't quite as bad on the taste buds as far as skunkiness goes, but the beer itself is still no great shakes. Wait, that's too kind. The flavor is lousy as well and hasn't escaped a few 'off' characteristics of its own. It tastes like stale grain flecked with bits of metal, soggy cardboard and musky hops. I'd have to have them side-by-side (on a day when I was feeling especially adventurous), but I'm not sure that Carib tastes much different from another south of the border, clear glass-bottled beer named Corona.

It's a bit of a chore, but I can still manage to get and keep it down. As lousy as this beer is, I'd still take it over a Bud Light (for some reason, most beer from BMC tastes aggressively bad to me). A little light sweetness helps it to be barely palatable. The body/mouthfeel is light, lighter, lightest and comparisons to water are not out of line. Since it fits the style, more or less, I'll go easy on the score.

Carib Lager may be drinkable in the strictest sense of the word, but anyone with high standards (hell, any standards at all) will likely find it to be unacceptable. Maybe... on a Trinidadian beach with the sun at high noon and the sound of surf in my ears... ... nah.

01-04-2006 14:41:52 | More by BuckeyeNation
pootz

2.08/5  rDev -25.7%

Poured a pale gold...not much of a cap and it didn’t last...agressive carbonation. Aroma of grains but sweet with some vegital notes. Starts sharp from the aggressive carbonation, goes watery and sweet on the palate with some light citrus then a wet finish with slight bittering. Watery, too sweet and non distinct. I see the ingredients lists sugar as an adjunct component of this beer... this does not belong in a proper lager.

04-28-2005 01:33:14 | More by pootz
stephendr

2.08/5  rDev -25.7%

12 oz. glass bottle- color of Bright clear gold, with white head - nose of rice , wheat and bubble gum , and slight hopps – taste of yellow corn , skunk , citrus , and slight malts - body crisp , fizzy , and light – aftertaste of skunk and citrus average at best

12-27-2006 06:34:57 | More by stephendr
Popsinc

2.1/5  rDev -25%

A very pale-yellow pour with a small white head. Moderate carbonation in a clear, see-through body. The nose is boring, almost non-exisitant. Maybe some light floral hints and grainy qualities. Likewise with the taste...bland, lacking, dull. Very close to carbonated water really. This was an uninspiring beer. I suppose come from the caribbean though it does have its place in a very hot climate. Unimpressed.

Serving type: can

09-11-2003 14:33:26 | More by Popsinc
allergictomacros

2.13/5  rDev -23.9%

A - Clear straw with a decent sized head. Seems to drop quickly though.

S - Whiff of dissipating skunk followed by light grassy hop.

T/M - Astringent, boring mild bitterness and an up-front sourness. Bitter finish is one dimensional. Very fizzy, and luckily cold. Extremely sweet.

D - Not really no. One of the worst clear-bottle-lagers out there. Not just bland but actively bad tasting.

09-19-2007 03:24:46 | More by allergictomacros
Shiloh

2.15/5  rDev -23.2%

Very diffacult to enjoy a brew with the smell of skunk in the air and that is what I have going for me now.....Light bodied brew with limited crown...taste is not acceptable....It may be the aroma of this beer affecting my other beer sences.

12-10-2002 19:29:08 | More by Shiloh
genaro

2.15/5  rDev -23.2%

Carib Lager came in a clear bottle. It was a light gold color with a decent head. There were some traces of lace. The aroma was grainy and a bit skunky. The taste was a little earthy and grainy with some sweetness and some hop bite. The finish was a little dry and grainy and unremarkable (just like this beer in toto). A weak, thirst quenching beer.

02-15-2004 17:27:42 | More by genaro
CAMRAhardliner

2.15/5  rDev -23.2%

Pours clear light gold. The head is minimal and leaves scant lacing. The aroma is sweet and biscuity with a backing of cooked veggies. The taste is similar with skunkiness. Hops are more visible than Canadian macros, but they have a weird flavor, maybe Im mistaking more skunk for hops. The mouthfeel is thin and overcarbonated.

This is a pedestrian lager. It does offer much and the vegetal flavors are too noticeable.

02-28-2006 01:19:08 | More by CAMRAhardliner
TheDeuce

2.15/5  rDev -23.2%

Carib Lager, tried in St. Thomas.

Appearance-a pale yellow color, whispy white head that isn't really controlled, it rushes up and decipitates quickly.

Smell-pale grain, fusel alchohol, light malt, hop

Taste/Mouthfeel-grainy, slightly sour, not memorable, I've tasted this flavor many times before and this isn't the best example.

Drinkability-not even all that refreshing on a hot summer day, flavors are weak and don't really go together.

Overall-dissapointing, not a good lager by any stretch, doesn't stand out in any way.

Serving type: can