Carib Lager - Carib Brewery Limited

Carib Brewery Limited visit their website
Trinidad & Tobago

American Adjunct Lager |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: canadianbarman on 01-30-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Carib Lager Alström Bros
Ratings: 389 | Reviews: 172
1.06/5  rDev -62.1%

Maybe I just got hold of a bad bottle, but this was undrinkable. Overpowering skunk aroma (clear bottle = light-struck), but even if it had been kept in the dark, this beer had very little going for it.

1.06/5  rDev -62.1%

No, no, no, no, no do not pay good money for this beer. I was lucky and a friend of mine who knows I like good beer mistakenly brought this over just because it was kinda expensive so I didn't have to pay for it.

In a clear bottle made in a warm, sunny country? Gonna be trouble.
Pale yellow color, skunky aroma, skunk taste with just a dash of garbage. Everytime I brought this to my face to drink I got that nasty smell. I even squeezed a bit of lime in there hoping to make it more palatable, no luck.

This just doesn't taste good to me at all.

1.15/5  rDev -58.9%

I have to say that this was probably one of the worst beers I've ever had. At least a bud light may be bolted down on a hot day on the beach. This stuff was awful. I was at a party last night where Carib was served. Upon pouring into a glass (splitting it with my sister), one sip each, and we quietly worked our way into the kitchen. Down the drain it went.

Appearance - light yellow in a clear bottle, poured with virtually no head.

Smell - smelled like a cheap lager

mouthfeel - watery and without even any significant carbonation

drinkability - undrinkable

Forgive me if this review isn't up to BA standards. This is my very first review. I just felt the need to scare off any beer aficionado who may be contemplating purchasing this swill. Don't do it.

1.21/5  rDev -56.8%

This was everywhere in the three port stops of a recent carribean cruise so I decided to try it in St. Martin.

Pours a clear, dark golden yellow color with a half finger white foam head that quickly dissipates into a thin lasting ring. Minimal spots of lace left behind.

Slightly earthy, metallic aroma with faint hints of hops but it's overpowered by a a very grainy corn/adjunct presence. Smells pretty bad.

On the lighter end of medium boded with a dry earthy bitterness up front that lingers over the sweet corny, metallic body into an astringent dry finish. Funky and metallic with lots of grainy sweet corn flavor. A below average adjunct lager that is tough to drink even on a hot day in St. Martin.

1.23/5  rDev -56.1%

Well I have to use at least 150 characters or I would simply put "not a good beer". No color, bad skunky scent and the aftertaste awful. This beer makes Corona seem like champagne...............CHEERS

1.31/5  rDev -53.2%

Best Before: Oct/09.

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear, yellow body and despite a continually heavier pour, I just can't coax more than a few bubbles to form an ultra thin, white head. Ah well.

Smell: What a stink! Extraordinarily skunky aroma that strikes your nose mere seconds after the bottle is opened. If you don't mind a big snootful of skunk with each whiff, you can barely make out faint hints of cereal-scented malts.

Taste: Gah! Oh, how horrid. Some pale malts with a cereal sweetness and very minor hop character and bitterness, but mostly you're treated to a whole host of icky tastes. Plasticy, skunk spray, and metallic! Three disastrous tastes together at last. A couple glasses of cool, clean water only begin to wash that out.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: As much as I usually appreciate it's inclusion on the bottle or label, the Best Before date serves no purpose whatsoever here, as this beer died an ignoble death long, long before October 2009. Sure, the year is still young, but this is, by far, the worst beer I've had all year! Avoid at all cost.

1.36/5  rDev -51.4%

Found this one in a friend's fridge, her roommate recently returned from Trinidad/Tobago. Appearance was a pale fizzy yellow, not bad, but not impressive. Smell is of old corn/rice and skunk. Pew. Taste was horrendous. A skunky malt liquor flavor mixed with sweet rice/corn adjunct. Maybe it went bad on it's journey from the Carib-bean? Looks like I should have gone for the Sam Light that was also in the fridge...

1.4/5  rDev -50%

A really lackluster beer. Essentially a slightly smoother version of rolling rock, coors light, or any cheap, light lager. Not bad for what it is, just not anything special.

1.71/5  rDev -38.9%

12 oz. crystal clear bottle with a simple royal blue label that has the name of the beer in a bright yellow oval. The back label contains all the mandatory US information and the Carib symbol at the top. If you look closely at the neck of the bottle, you'll see a stamped best before date. Mine was best before Oct 2008.

When poured into a DFH pint glass, Carib looked a little less different than what it looked like in the clear bottle. It was still that urine yellow color, but when it was poured, it was a little paler than what I had seen in the bottle. The head of foam was short lived. When I say short lived, I mean it was gone in a blink of an eye. If you blink, you'll miss it. It didn't even leave behind any spots of lace saying that the head of foam was even really there.

This beer stunk! It reeked of cheap malted grains with a big whiff of light struck skunkyness backing it up. To be honest, even if this beer didn't have the skunkyness to it, I fully doubt that it would have smelled any better than what it did.

The taste was a tad bit better than the aroma, but that's not saying much. The taste was slightly sweet with sweet malted grains with little or no skunk in the background. I wish I could say more about the taste, but that's all folks for the taste.

The mouthfeel was extremely light with no aftertaste whatsoever. After the taste was done, it washed itself away like water.

Sometimes it felt like I was drinking a nasty water than a beer. The only time I could actually see somebody drinking this stuff is on a hot sandy beach in the Caribbean. If you do take the chance and drinking this stuff, try your best to drink it fresh. It's sad that the best before date doesn't help.

1.76/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Aroma - Clear bottle skunked aroma

Appearance - Extremely pale yellow with a decent amount of carbonation not really any head to speak of.

Taste - Weird I don't think I've tasted anything like this. Kind of a dry slightly nutty flavor. Not good. No detectable sweetness. Unoffensive enough maybe a hint of sour cabbage in there. Something is definitely off.

Mouthfeel - Thin and still needs a little more carbonation.

Drinkability - If you are in Trinidad give Stag a try.

1.77/5  rDev -36.8%

Pours clear yellow-golden with a thin white head that dissipates rapidly. Nil lacing. Slightly skunked aroma with mild hops. Light-bodied with a bland hoppy flavor, along with a touch of stale malt. Some skunkiness here as well. The finish is bubbly and mildly bitter. I wouldn’t drink this again, and would rather have a Margarita on the beach than this.

1.8/5  rDev -35.7%

Carib is Miller High Life, Bud, Corona, Tecate, Modelo Especial, and Pacifico rolled into one corn-fed lager. Carib pours golden in a pint glass. There is lots of sweet malty corn in this brew, so much so I could not take more than three sips.

For the novice: Save your money and continue to buy your choice of the American/Mexican brands listed above.

Personally: I think I was more upset that a friend's father actually plunked down 26 dollars for a case of this stuff, when he could have saved his money and bought Lionshead or Iron City instead.

1.83/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Wouldn't drink the free can in hotel fridge.

1.86/5  rDev -33.6%

Served in a snifter...cuz that's how I roll!

This beer was given to me by my island hopping girlfriend who was certain I'd never had a beer from T&T. She was right as per usual. This beer was yellow. There was a fizzy white foam to the top of it, but honestly, not the most desirable appearance. Now I know that you're not supposed to review skunked beers, but I felt that this beer probably didn't smell much better even having not been skunked. The aroma of this beer taught me truly what the full force of skunking can turn into. I at least hope that it was skunking, because it smelled like skunk roadkill. It was REALLY FUNKY. I caught the whiff when opening the bottle and was afraid to continue. I trudged forward. Maybe it was because it smelled so bad, but I thought the taste was okay for the style at least. It really wasn't all that pleasant, but with how bad it smelled it was a gigantic improvement. The fizzy yellow water went down pretty easy, I wasn't impressed with it at all. This made the room smell like a skunk was spooked outside, thumbs down.

1.9/5  rDev -32.1%

Light yellow, clear. Full white head stays for a while. Not the prettiest beer, but on a hot day its lightness maybe welcome. It's light body too. The smell contains grass notes, some metallic essence. Not terrible for a macro lager. The taste is all wrong. Maybe it's the bottle. I'll grab my second bottle which came from a different source...

... Nope, still the taste feels wrong. The second bottle has a "best before" date and I am about half a year too late, which for a clear bottle is a lot. By the way, I am not a big fan of the clear bottle. This beer is probably better fresh, but for now the weird combination of sweetness and bitterness ruins it for me.

Going through other reviews, I've noticed that a lot of high marks come from some Caribbean experience. I'm guessing nice, hot weather and beautiful, relaxed beach does wonders for this beer. It'll probably go well during carnival in Trinidad. My review stands until such times.

1.97/5  rDev -29.6%

I suppose this is going to be a reminder of perhaps the only painful aspect of my trip to Jamaica last summer. Our room happened to be stocked with this stuff and I had to drink a few of them. Not a good experience.

It's very clear and pours a very light gold color. A forceful pour yielded a foamy white head that was about three fingers deep. Sadly, it disappeared far too quickly and left very light lacing behind. Given the surprising head stature, I'll be honest and fair...it's above average (especially for the style).

Here's where things get a little ugly. I could smell this skunky beast when I cracked the cap! Whoa! The skunk is strong with this one. Ugh...the memories. Once you find your way past that, it's grainy and vegetal. Yeah, that ugly corn smell is here, too. Some light sweet malt is noted. If there's any hops here, I can't tell. Perhaps they're buried beneath this avalanche of putrescence. Do I really need to cap this off by stating how bad it is? The smell is honestly astonishing.

The flavor is better. It's not good. Hell, it's still well below average, but it's easily a notch better than the nose. It's primarily grainy. There are some sweet malty flavors that are okay, but aren't quite redeeming. Corn and strong vegetal flavor notes are prominent. Not good. Some light floral hop notes help it out a little. There's a spicy quality to them that emerges on the tail. That aspect's not bad either. But, the strong vegetal flavor is way too much to overcome. It taints the overall flavor such that there's simply nothing that could make it pleasant or enjoyable. It is slightly better than the smell, but nowhere even close to being good.

The body is light and feels a bit watered down. Carbonation is buzzy and crisp. It's not smooth or impressive. Drinkability is likewise unimpressive. This stuff doesn't taste good and does not go down easily. Frankly, I'm fighting it down, but managing. Do not want anymore.

Carib Lager is not good beer. I admit, I had a few during my trek to Jamaica, but didn't enjoy it at all. If you have trouble getting a beer like this down in paradise, it's struggling. That's exactly the case. The nose is the worst of it. The flavor isn't good, but it isn't quite sickening. The nose...well...it's not that far from it. Not good stuff at all. I'd strongly suggest taking a pass.

1.97/5  rDev -29.6%

Great color -- clear as can be with a perfect golden hue. Decent nearly pure white head on top. Barely any aroma -- a little lemon grassy, perhaps. Light flavor finishes with the taste of canned beer, a little bit of the steel drum flavor happening here. Not terrible though. It didn't cause me to wretch as it warmed, which is always a positive sign for pale lagers in my book. Pretty well carbonated which made it a little filling for the style.

2.01/5  rDev -28.2%

When I think of the great brewing nations of the world, Trinidad and Tobago isn't amongst them. Carib seems suspiciously a lot like Corona, from the clear bottle with painted on label to the yellow color and skunky aroma.

Carib pours a light yellow color with a somewhat decent white foam head that leaves some sticky lace. The smell was of pure skunk. The mouthfeel is thin and not unlike seltzer water. The skunk carries over to the flavor, and underneath that the cheap flavors of adjunct grains and corn are noticeable, giving a husky/musty grain flavor to the beer. There is some light fruitiness in the flavor as well. Not much in the line of hop bitterness in this beer, although it is slightly detectable in the finish. The aftertaste is a continuation of the cheap adjunct flavors, and this beer finishes off with no alcoholic warmth.

I wish I could say more about this beer, but it would probably end up reading a lot like my review for Corona. This is one beer that would benefit from the addition of citrus as well. This is a weak tropical beer that doesn't have too many redeeming qualities about it. Don't let this one warm up either: drink it cold.

2.06/5  rDev -26.4%

Clear, pallid gold with a small number of fine, floaty bits. Thanks to the clear glass bottle, the color can be 'enjoyed' without ever opening the beer. Given the smell that greets my nose on the pour, that might not be such a bad idea. The good looking head of bleached bone white is superior to the heads on most macro lagers and drops a fair amount of lace to boot.

The cloud of sulfurous skunk is only now beginning to dissipate, but is still noticeable when I stick my nose into the glass. Underneath is a sweet graininess that might not be bad if I was able to appreciate it unaccompanied by such pungently musky, possibly light-struck hops. While Carib isn't a total loss, the clear glass bottle has seen to it that off-aromas, and probably off-flavors, are pervasive.

Things aren't quite as bad on the taste buds as far as skunkiness goes, but the beer itself is still no great shakes. Wait, that's too kind. The flavor is lousy as well and hasn't escaped a few 'off' characteristics of its own. It tastes like stale grain flecked with bits of metal, soggy cardboard and musky hops. I'd have to have them side-by-side (on a day when I was feeling especially adventurous), but I'm not sure that Carib tastes much different from another south of the border, clear glass-bottled beer named Corona.

It's a bit of a chore, but I can still manage to get and keep it down. As lousy as this beer is, I'd still take it over a Bud Light (for some reason, most beer from BMC tastes aggressively bad to me). A little light sweetness helps it to be barely palatable. The body/mouthfeel is light, lighter, lightest and comparisons to water are not out of line. Since it fits the style, more or less, I'll go easy on the score.

Carib Lager may be drinkable in the strictest sense of the word, but anyone with high standards (hell, any standards at all) will likely find it to be unacceptable. Maybe... on a Trinidadian beach with the sun at high noon and the sound of surf in my ears... ... nah.

Great substitute for Red Stripe or Corona when you can't find a real beer

2.08/5  rDev -25.7%

12 oz. glass bottle- color of Bright clear gold, with white head - nose of rice , wheat and bubble gum , and slight hopps – taste of yellow corn , skunk , citrus , and slight malts - body crisp , fizzy , and light – aftertaste of skunk and citrus average at best

2.08/5  rDev -25.7%

Poured a pale gold...not much of a cap and it didn’t last...agressive carbonation. Aroma of grains but sweet with some vegital notes. Starts sharp from the aggressive carbonation, goes watery and sweet on the palate with some light citrus then a wet finish with slight bittering. Watery, too sweet and non distinct. I see the ingredients lists sugar as an adjunct component of this beer... this does not belong in a proper lager.

2.09/5  rDev -25.4%

Very diffacult to enjoy a brew with the smell of skunk in the air and that is what I have going for me now.....Light bodied brew with limited crown...taste is not acceptable....It may be the aroma of this beer affecting my other beer sences.

2.11/5  rDev -24.6%

A very pale-yellow pour with a small white head. Moderate carbonation in a clear, see-through body. The nose is boring, almost non-exisitant. Maybe some light floral hints and grainy qualities. Likewise with the taste...bland, lacking, dull. Very close to carbonated water really. This was an uninspiring beer. I suppose come from the caribbean though it does have its place in a very hot climate. Unimpressed.

2.13/5  rDev -23.9%

Drinking this out of a tulip. Looks a little funny pouring.

A- Wow, I'm holding the bottle to the light and what looked like a dark gold is actually very light. Almost like some sort of peach water.
Poured it and got a lot of fizz which foamed up and right back down just as fast leaving a very thin crown. Halfway through my serving, the liquid is totally still. Looks like it's been sitting there for three days.

S- I don't think I'm going to like this. Burnt cream of wheat. A bit of rice alcohol or something reminding me of sake anyways. Warming up releases a nice noble hop aroma, at least it feels nice amidst all the other less appealing flavors.

T- Very similar to smell. Clean finish with a fleeting after-taste.

M- Medium carbonation. Quite smooth but I think a little drier would be better.

D- Seems good but I dislike the taste too much to be able to drink lots.

Don't want to drink this again.

EDIT: Finished my bottle off with some Mushroom Oka which was by no means a good pairing but made the beer blander thus easier to swallow. Washing down beer with stinky cheese...

Carib Lager from Carib Brewery Limited