1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sweetwater IPA - SweetWater Brewing Company

Sweetwater IPASweetwater IPA

SweetWater Brewing Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sweetwater IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,886 | Reviews: 763 | Show All Ratings:
chrisale

Georgia

This American-style IPA should be a go-to beer for IPA enthusiasts, especially those from the Southeast.

Served from a bottle at room temperature or refrigerated, you can't go wrong with this flavorful brew. Poured into a 25th Anniversary Samuel Adams Boston Lager Glass, the thick, lacey head develops along the inside of the glass as poured and sits about 2 fingers thick on top. The deep, copper hue contrasts wonderfully with the off-white head.

The initial smell is grapefruit, lots of grapefruit. If you are a citrus fan, you will enjoy the beer. Also, floral aromas come through balancing the citrus qualities.

The best part is this beer is produced year-round and makes a great warming brew in the winter while also offering true refreshment in the heat of the summer months. The taste is healthily hoppy with a true grapefruit character.

Mouthfeel is where this beer wins my go-to status. If you want a beer that enters the mouth mildly and offers a great warming aftertaste without being overly dry, this is a winner.

I can drink these all day and all night and at any occasion. You never get that sick feeling that comes from most macros when you indulge, and that is one of the best qualities of quality brews. Sweetwater IPA is great session beer for sure.

Cheers

06-30-2010 01:26:46 | More by chrisale
unclejimbay

Golden honey/copper in color with short head and mediocre lacing.
Aromas of sweet malts and citrus hops.
Tastes as it smells with notable citrus dominant flavors, followed by a dash of pine and sweet malt support.
Light body, semi slick and high carbo.

I really dig this one! My new easily accessible IPA after homebrew and Bells Two Hearted..
New to our area and I am excited about this arrival! Available most places in Jacksonville FL!

01-04-2011 22:28:41 | More by unclejimbay
JohnRioux

This is my favorite beer, hands down! I haven't yet tasted anything better. I may be partial because I'm from Atlanta, but I can't find anything better!
This was the beer that opened my eyes to IPAs. Bell's Hopslam and Intuition Ale Works' Rail Spur are about the only beers that can compare.

Just had another Sweetwater IPA! Incredibly smooth. Reminds me of home.

03-22-2012 15:21:14 | More by JohnRioux
thebrood1987

Smells of intense lemons, nice citrus and some deep resinous flavors. Smells awesome. The very juicy citrus comes in following with a hint of some lemons and ending with the herbal floral resinous bitterness. Its not too bitter though the flowing citrus flavors from the hops washes away the bitterness which is pretty awesome.. The malt mixes in with the deep resinous taste real well with a dark bready flavor.

I wish this beer came around in New Jersey because it'd be a regular for sure. The citrus and lemon quality to this beer is unreal. Its almost as juicy as juice and thats all from the hops. Very impressive beer. This beer is a perfect IPA in my opinion.

09-13-2012 02:27:01 | More by thebrood1987
kdawg105

4.97/5  rDev +23.9%

WoW!! I love it!! When I poured the brew into a 150z mug it poured into a merky amber color not much head that sticks very well to the glass. The smell is great with a smell of pure hops. The taste is wounderful with a balance but with a wonderful citrus flavor that is through and through which include a great taste of grapefruit. The mouthfeel is great considering which makes for the best drinkability. I would highly sugest that you try this brew!! You will not go wrong I promise!!!

03-30-2010 02:41:38 | More by kdawg105
Cyberkedi

4.95/5  rDev +23.4%

This one pours a deep, hazy, almost opaque coppery amber with a thick, orangy-tan head that sticks around for a bit. Aroma is strong and very evergreenish. Flavor is seriously hoppy, like drinking a pine tree, with just a whisper of sweetness, and mildly bitter. Texture is smooth and jazzy, very pleasing, leaving an evergreen aftertaste. I have had this in a bottle, and it is better on-tap! Strongly recommended to all hops fans.

02-10-2009 01:41:23 | More by Cyberkedi
genog

4.93/5  rDev +22.9%

Pours a gorgeous dark orange with a light brown two inch head that builds then falls leaving a creamy white head that has lacing sticking to the side. Smell is like a christmas tree, with a lot of strong pine, and a little earthy character too. Some citrus type smells left in the background. The taste is one of the best beers I've ever had. Citrus, mostly grapefruit taste, some pine followed by bitter hops. Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated for a refreshing taste in an IPA.

09-14-2007 02:51:05 | More by genog
pacothrash

4.93/5  rDev +22.9%

This beer is in my top 5 and I was fortunate to have the wife travel to Atlanta. She picked me up a case. The first bottle was just as I remember, if not better. Very nice citrus, grapefruit smell from the hops. Nice balance. Definately my favorite session beer.

02-01-2008 13:47:55 | More by pacothrash
yesferro

Mississippi

4.93/5  rDev +22.9%

Got a bottle of this at Letters in Tuscaloosa AL. Bought it 2 weeks past its good date though

Pours a medium orangy brown, about 1/2" head that didn't last too long.
The smell o the smell! Sweet fruity smell, very inviting! And it delivers great taste, very rarely does a sweet beer rub me the right way, and this one is nr 1 on that list. I little bitterness at the end, kinda leaves a dry feeling. Not all too carbonated, just right. This beer goes down easily, almost too easily I'd almost say a non beer drinker could get fooled into having a few off these without protesting too much.

I like this, and I am very glad AL upped its ancient beerlaws so us Mississippians can cross the border and get acces to this beer goodness, one more please!

08-22-2009 03:39:50 | More by yesferro
drgonzo3705

4.88/5  rDev +21.7%

A: Beautiful copperish orange with a small head that manages to keep its head around the edges of the glass.

S: Mmm Piney, earthy/woodsy sort of green smell reminds me of my days following The Dead...

T: Just like it smells. Nice fresh pine flavor with a nice hop oiliness that coats your mouth. Definitely tasting some Simcoe hops in here and its magnificent!

M: Nice medium body with the hop oiliness to go with it.

D: At 6.7% this is soooo drinkable. If only this was distributed up my way I would probably always have some of this in the fridge! Thanks to Ben (bhalter8) for hooking me up with this one, I'm definitely going to need to get some more of this!

01-08-2009 02:17:46 | More by drgonzo3705
moocey

Alabama

4.85/5  rDev +20.9%

I don't know if it's because I haven't had a great IPA in a while or if it's because the beer might have been fresh from the brewery in Atlanta, but I had a Sweetwater IPA at Taco Mac in Decatur and it was delicious.

It smelled like a handfull of fresh pacific northwest hops and tasted the same. Loaded with bursts of hoppy goodness, and a good malt backbone. Damn fine beer.

09-27-2005 01:33:58 | More by moocey
raverjames

4.83/5  rDev +20.4%

Here is a beer that I wanted to dislike. The hype surrounding it in the South East just makes you want to score it poorly. The first time I had this beer, I definitely had an older bottle. It was bland and bitter. However, recently I have been paying attention the the date on the label. The Best By date is set for 3 months after bottling. The batch I am drinking right now is best by 9/10/09, so it was brewed on 6/10/09. Under a month old, not bad for the craptastic SC distributor.

Sadly, for the haters, I cannot rank this beer poorly. This IPA is wonderful. It is pale/copper in color with a decent white head. There is a bit of haze and a small bit of hop dust at the bottom. It smells like an overly ripened ruby red grapefruit. The taste is all grapefruit and orange peel. The mix of citrus flavors and light body makes this so easy to consume. It is now my go-to beer for a relaxing evening in the summer. My suggestion to anyone that loves IPAs and ranked this beer below A, is to go out and look for a fresh bottle and try it again. Sweetwater IPA is a baby Sculpin. Similar hop character without the degree of intensity. Absolutely wonderful.

07-08-2009 01:40:55 | More by raverjames
blittle

South Carolina

4.83/5  rDev +20.4%

A - Crisp, clear light orange hue with minimal head.
S - Great aromatics, mostly picked up surpising floral notes balanced with citrus and pine. I kept wanting to take it in all the way through the drink. Very appealing.
T - Ranks among my top three IPA experiences. The IBUs don't overtake the essence of the hops like so many American IPAs tend to do.
M - Carbonation is right on.
D - So refreshing its impossible to drink just one. I rarely buy multiples of any beer, but this will become a repeating stock in my fridge.

10-26-2010 22:47:51 | More by blittle
philmont

Alabama

4.8/5  rDev +19.7%

This is one of my favorite beers from Sweerwater, it pours with a two finger creamy white head. It laces the glass like rings of a tree trunk. You can literally count every sip. The color is a nice amber, maybe a little haze. The aroma is like fresh cut grass, you just know that first sip is going to have a nice hop flavor. The taste is very reminiscent of grapefruit, it coats the tongue and lingers, giving you a chance to savor it. The mouthfeel is moderate, a little resiny, but very drinkable. This is a beer worth seeking out.

06-19-2009 00:26:35 | More by philmont
PanicUnited

4.8/5  rDev +19.7%

First off, let me tell you how great the sweetwater brewery tour is. $8 gets you 6 half pints and a glass to take home. Definitely a must-see for anyone in or visiting the Atlanta Area.

Sweetwater IPA is a great American IPA. Simply put, its not expensive and the taste is wonderful.

Dont pass this one up.

06-26-2010 00:19:44 | More by PanicUnited
jimixr

A: Golden with a nice foamy head. Beautiful carbonation

S: Pine and citrus hops. Very nice

T: Very hoppy. The first sip is like a grapefruit punch in the mouth. Pretty dry finish.

M: Medium bodied and just enough carbonation.

D: Very good. This is my go to beer. One of my all time favorites.

01-08-2011 17:53:38 | More by jimixr
planetscott

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

FINALLY...Simcoe hopped beer in Atlanta. This a a very well balanced IPA using Simcoe hops. Think citrus, apricot and a distant, but distinct grassy taste. If you nver had this beer, and never experienced Simcoe hops, try this one. This beer deswerves more recognition now that they started using Simcoe hops.

06-15-2007 13:06:02 | More by planetscott
mklinger

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured into an imperial pint. This beer is a beautiful bronze/copper with a nice off white head forming. Slightly hazy, but that's because it's unpasteurized & unfiltered -- bit of yeast in the bottle -- I've cultured it for homebrew before. Nice looking beer.

Aroma is so grapefruity, it's just incredible. A large whiff of it comes out as soon as the cap was opened. It's really robust once poured into a glass. There's no other standard IPA that I've had that is so intensely grapefruity. There's a bit of slight sweetness that makes it different from sniffing a freshly cut grapefruit, but that's all I get. I do love grapefruit & that makes me love the aroma of this beer.

Taste is also great & more complex than the aroma. A bit of carbonation bit at first, followed by some biscuity/toasty malt, strong citrus, and nice potent but not overwhelming bitterness. Nice bit of sweetness that is just a slight background note to tie things together. Really a nice IPA. When fresh it is exceptional.

Mouthfeel is good. Light bodied as an IPA should be though I found it slightly overcarbonated. But good nonetheless. This is a great beer. It's been 6 months since I've had one and I find it easily as good or better than the big IPAs that everyone (including me) love like Two-Hearted & Stone IPA. Really great stuff.

07-03-2010 03:28:22 | More by mklinger
corey0212

Connecticut

4.7/5  rDev +17.2%

Got a few of these in a trade a while back, and plain forgot to review it....big thanks to ckeegan04 for sending one my way in Secret Santa!!

Pours a mostly clear honey/orange color, foamy off-white head fades pretty quickly and leaves a few splotches of lace on the glass. A metric shit-ton of grapefruit on the nose, some tangerine fighting for attention, and a nice caramel backbone. Taste is just an all-out citrus riot....grapefruit, tangerine, clementine, slightly bitter grassy element here...you could argue that the taste is a little one-dimensional, with the huge grapefruit/citrus presence, but it's just plain tasty. Something about the flavor profile on this beer just dazzles me, and this is kind of "it" for me when it comes to IPAs. Refreshing, nice lingering bitterness. I could drink this all day, all year. So good.

12-21-2008 22:58:36 | More by corey0212
houstoncarl

4.7/5  rDev +17.2%

OK, I LOVE THIS BEER, really love it. I've been drinking and brewing IPA for 25 years and this is now my all time favorite IPA, just bumping out the IPA made by the Kona Brew Pub, Kona Hi.

It almost brought tears to my eyes when I tried my first one. later that day,I had another and I liked it even better the 2nd time around.

Solid, solid dry hopping & fantastic nose. well balanced and a good buzz.

Unfortunately, Sweetwater Brewery (Atlanta, GA) has limited distributorship and it's only available in 4-5 states. If you are in the south or as far west as North Carolina....you gotta try this IPA

02-03-2009 03:38:21 | More by houstoncarl
gmfessen

4.7/5  rDev +17.2%

Reading the best by date, this should have been consumed by 6/13/10... hopefully the hops haven't faded too much. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a slightly hazy burnt golden orange color with a thick, soapy white head. The nose definitely tells the story of an AIPA, thick with citrus notes like orange and grapefruit, resinous piney notes also are present. Upfront the flavor is very malty sweet, hops are almost unnoticeable in bitterness but are definitely present in the preceding flavor components. This IPA is very interesting in that it does have an intense hop nose/flavor but most of it must come from dry hopping because it doesn't have the mouth puckering bitterness you would expect. Very well done indeed. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a thin yet creamy carbonation. Overall an incredibly easy drinking beer due to the excellent hop flavor but subdued yet balanced bitterness. Definitely a winner in my book, cheers to Sweetwater for this one!

09-05-2010 20:07:48 | More by gmfessen
lackenhauser

Maryland

4.68/5  rDev +16.7%

Bright golden color. Not a lot of head or carbonation. Nice hoppy aroma-a lot of grapefruit in there. Fantastic hop flavor. Not overly bitter but a great, great hop flavor across the board. Killer malty sweetness to offset the hops. Really a great tasting beer. Touch of lingering bitterness. Nice body-not too big or thin. Simply a great US IPA. A style that can really run the gamut of flavors. They nailed this one for sure. I could do this all night.

02-21-2008 00:15:49 | More by lackenhauser
rfisher159

4.66/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Medium amber, fast dissipating head.

S: This beer has the most distinctive smell of any beer, in my opinion. It has a massive fruity/zesty/hoppy scent that's unmistakable.

T: Not as hoppy as it smells. The zest is there with lemon and grapefruit coming through most. It finished clean and slightly bitter. Great balance and ton of flavor.

M: Light to medium with relatively high carbonation.

O: The taste is nearly perfect to me, a very interesting beer overall. This is my #2 everyday favorite behind Centennial Ipa. If it had a nicer looking bottle (and cost more $$) it would probably be rated even higher on this site... j/k

02-04-2014 18:55:31 | More by rfisher159
jjanega08

4.65/5  rDev +16%

A= Pours a golden amber color with a nice one finger head that leaves great lacing on my glass and lasts till about halfway through my drink where it falls into a ring around my glass.
S= Very pungent. Pineappley is one of the main things I smell. Lots of grapefruit as well with some pine. There's a very very subtle grainy caramel malt odor as well.
T= Great taste! Very hoppy up front with strong bitter pine notes. Some grapefruit comes in as well. The finish is beautiful on this beer. Buttery delicious bread sort of aftertaste lingers on the back of my tongue.
M= Smooth Lower carbonation and a crisp clean finish
D= Very high. I really like this beer. I think it's got great balance for a hop forward IPA. The finish with the malt is ridiculous. Great IPA

04-14-2009 00:37:07 | More by jjanega08
Jbgib22

4.65/5  rDev +16%

Smooth citrus flavor. The "grapefruit" taste does overpower the grain flavor at times but it is not a sour taste. Nice hoppy flavor. The cloudy "unfiltered" look of the ale was appealing to the eye. I think the IBU is probaby in the 46- 55 range. It is a great summer time brew

02-10-2010 18:13:12 | More by Jbgib22