Sweetwater Blue - SweetWater Brewing Company

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002

Ratings: 1,043 | Reviews: 291
3.46/5  rDev +2.7%

Served in a pint glass from a 12 oz bottle. Appearance is very plain golden poured with little head, dissipated quickly. No lacing. Smell is where this beer does very well, smelling very strongly of blueberries (which is obviously what it's going for). Taste follows suit, strong blueberry flavor, which I think is quite delicious. Still has a good amount of malt and hoppiness. Mouthfeel is smooth, average, nothing special. A little too sweet to drink more than 1.

3.26/5  rDev -3.3%

Tried on-tap at the Saucer, as I missed it at the Brewer's Fest.

An interesting beer...not much stand-out except the aroma, which easily carried around the entire table. It is obviously blueberry, and a honey element too. If the aroma carried over further into the taste, it too would receive higher marks. However, the taste was too sweet without discernible hop bitterness.

Give it a shot if you can find it, but don't waste time seeking it out exclusively.

2.28/5  rDev -32.3%

This was a tough one to rate...it was a very good blueberry pancake syrup. Unfortunately, I was drinking beer. Initial aroma of blueberries is strongly present the second the bottle is opened, and stays throughout the glass. However, at mid glass, I also detected a slight soapy aroma. Appearance is golden yellow with thick white head and decent lacing. Flavor was more of the blueberry taste, and finish was so strongly blueberry, if I hadn’t known better, I would have sworn I just finished a good breakfast, instead of an after work drink. Sadly, like with pancakes, a little of this beer goes a long way, and I couldn’t have many.

3.59/5  rDev +6.5%

This beer poured a light straw color with a small head. There was very little head retention. Smell was sweet and like a floral/berry smell. Taste is a sweet blueberry that balances well with the light malt flavor. Mouthfeel is light, crisp without lingering. As for drinkability - I would surprisingly like another right now!

3.48/5  rDev +3.3%

Appearance: Pours a pale golden color with a decent white head; unlike others who complained about the retention and lacing, I got plenty of both - perhaps my bottle was fresher

Smell: Smells like blueberry muffin mix with a touch of grain

Taste: Starts out with a blueberry flavor that dances across the palate of cracker malt; the flavor never really develops but that is not the point as this is clearly a fruit beer designed for those who don't like challenging beer flavors - from that perspective it meets the bill; the finish is rather bland

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with moderate carbonation; watery at the end

Drinkability: Fruit beers don't bother me the way they do some others so I would give this good marks as a drinkable beer for those who like a fruity twist without much else going on - one of the better examples of this style

2.82/5  rDev -16.3%

Saw this in Atlanta recently I didn’t buy it since I most often hate fruit laced beers but I tried one anyway. The beer is a light golden color with virtually no head. It smells mainly of blueberries. It tasted mainly of blueberries with slight hop taste. Pretty decent for a blueberry beer ill give it that. I would not drink more than one a week though.

1.78/5  rDev -47.2%

This is an interesting beer, but that's about it. "Interesting" in the sense that the mold formations on your month-old cheese are "interesting"; it makes you say "whoa", but not in a good way, and you definitely don't want to put it in your mouth.

It pours out a pale amber color, nothing to write mom about, but not bad looking. It develops almost no head, and quickly goes down to exactly no head.

It smells fruity like the blueberries it's made with, barely discernable hops, and a slight sour smell.

Tastes like blueberries that have been soaked in sugar syrup. It's really only moderately sweet, but the blueberry is so overpowering that it drowns out all other flavors, as well as all semblence of balance.

The mouthfeel is truly awful. It feels like one has just downed motor oil. Not because of the viscosity (it's a very light beer), but because you just know you can't hope to digest what you just swallowed. It simply wasn't meant for drinking. Maybe I can compare it to drinking zippo fuel...that's a bit more like the consistency of this stuff. It sits on your stomach like a ton of bricks.

Drinkability is also horrible. I can drink one of these, and after that I feel like any more and I'll be needing a railing to vomit over. It sits on your stomach, and on top of that it sours *very* quickly. This is not a good session beer, or (in my opinion), a good anything beer. If you want a fruit beer, get some Purple Haze.

3.77/5  rDev +11.9%

Thanks to DeaconBluez and BIF Across America.

Pours a light golden color with a white head that falls quickly leaving a thin ring around the glass. Not much lacing.
Smells like blueberrys all the way. Not too sweet. Nice smell.
Tastes mostly of blueberrys, but has a slght malt and hop presence that balances out nicely. Not too berry sweet like I thought it might be from the smell. A little bitterness that seems to wash away immediately.
Light boddied. The blueberry presence washes the entire palate. Very clean and refreshing.
I'm not normally a fruit beer fan, but this was good. This is also my first blueberry beer. I like it!

2.49/5  rDev -26.1%

This beer was tasted in a pint glass from a bottle.

This beer pours a dull gold with not much head that doesn't hold or lace well. The smell is all blueberries and a little overpowering. The taste is a little watery, mostly blueberries with very little "beer" taste. There is a decent carbonation but its a little watery. Overall, its too fruity and sweet and not enough of a beer.

2.02/5  rDev -40.1%

It's real simple - if you like carbonated, alcoholic, kid's cereal, you'll love this beer! It pours out with the color of Kix, smells like Fruit Loops and tastes like Trix.

Summary: it's a very fruity beer!

Honestly, it might be rather tasty on a very warm day, when you are really thirsty or as an after dinner beer with dessert.

It's just not my cup of tea (so to speak). I've got a few left over (5 out of 6 to be exact) if anyone would like to try one....or 5!

Michael - crying in my cereal...

2.59/5  rDev -23.1%

Had this beer on tap at my favorite watering hole. It pours nearly the same color as Sweetwater’s signature brew 420 Pale Ale, a clear straw yellow color. However, the head fades faster and give some lacing on the early part of the mug. The smell is a blast of in your face blueberries. Smells like “Boo-berry” kids cereal. The taste is of blueberries but the berry flavor tastes too refined to me. It has a bit of a bite and the blueberry flavor doesn’t seem to blend with the beer to me. The mouthfeel is light and fizzy. I think I will stick to Purple Haze when I feel the need for a light fruit beer. I love everything Sweetwater makes, however this one falls short for me

3.42/5  rDev +1.5%

Sampled through the efforts of DeaconBluez and the BCG BIF.

I must confess that blueberries are my favorite flavor of pie so I am always interested in trying a new blueberry ale when I find one.

Pours a clear golden beer with a fast fading white head.

Smell is on the sweet side with a light honey and bread malt aroma. The blueberry scent is clean and pleasant and not artificial smelling.

Taste is sweet and a little tart at the beginning with a fair flavor of blueberry and piecrust. Light and spritzy ale here with a stronger hop bitterness than I would have expected. An interesting take on the blueberry ale, it uses carbonation, tartness and a firm hop bitterness to balance out the blueberries and sweetness.

Mouthfeel is a bit light and I am pretty sure that was intended.

No a half bad blueberry ale here. Definitely light and spritzy and a warm weather and summer beer. A good choice for a light meal of fruit or salad. Not a complicated beer just something good to drink when it is hot.

3.54/5  rDev +5%

12oz. bottle provided by DeaconBluez

Pours a clear straw color with a thin white head that disappears. No real lacing to speak of.

Mild aroma of blueberries with a malty background. The smell is quite pleasing.

Fresh blueberry taste upfront followed by a nice malty/grainy flavor. Finishes rather crisp and clean.

Body is average, could stand to have more carbonation.

Nice drinking blueberry brew. A nice offering if you're in the mood for a fruity ale.

2.89/5  rDev -14.2%

This beer looks like an American Macro. Poured with a small head. The smell is fair. Of course it smells like blueberries. The taste is of blueberries with a bite. The mouthfeel is diminished because of this bite. I don't think I could drink many of these. There are much better offerings from Sweetwater. I will choose one of those next time.

3.64/5  rDev +8%

First thing noticed is the smell, it really smells like blueberry, not too overpowering though.

Appearance is nothing special, typical golden ale look, no real head retention or lacing.

Tasting this beer was a surprise, I wasn't expecting much since I'm not a fan of fruit beers, but this one is actually good. The fruit taste isn't very overpowering, in fact I don't even notice it much at all. A malty taste which isn't too malty, it's a well balanced and suprisingly good beer.

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%

Pleasantly suprised with the appearance. A darker gold than I expected with a solid finger head. Blinked. It's gone.
Smell is of blueberries, more mild than I expected.
Taste is smooth with mild blueberry flavoring.
Mouthfeel. Weak, but at least it feels like a beer somewhat.
Drinkability. This is a thirsty beer to further dehydrate you on a hot day.
Great alternate to a macro on those hot summer days fishing, mowing, or out by the pool.
If you're looking specifically for a blueberry beer, I think Sea Dog is a better option. It taste more like blueberries, this taste more like beer.

4.27/5  rDev +26.7%

Ok, I know, another fruit beer. But is good, I promise. Pours a clear yellow, with white small carbo head. Not very impressive, but it's an ok looking beer. Smells yeasty, with good scents of blueberry. Has a sweet yeasty profile, with lots of blueberry flavor. Slighlty tart. Mouthfeel is medium body. Very good drinkable beer. Next to sea dog, this is one of my favorites. Hate that it's not distrubuted to Charlotte, what's that all about?

3.16/5  rDev -6.2%

Bottle provided by UncleFlip, thanks for the opportunity! Freshness notches read month 10 week 2. Pours a half finger nearly white head over a crystal clear light straw colored liquid. Looks like a macro or light lager. Smells like blueberry skins, but also a bit mediciney. Tastes of blueberry meat, cherry (without the sour), a hint of winey, and acrid from carbonation. I'll be kind and say there's a hint of honey sweet from the malt. But, honestly, this beer is all about the blueberry...and it's not quite natural tasting. It's not completely medicine, like a homebrew I once flavored with cherry extract. Light body and overly carbonated. An interesting beer. Not bad, not one to that's going to make you salivate.

3.32/5  rDev -1.5%

Hazed golden tone. Slight off white head. Lacing is minimal. Nice blueberry nose. Jammy and sugary. A little malt in the background. Very sweet nose. The flavor profile is pretty one sided (wth blueberry) and the blueberry aspects are really not that remarkable. A little fleshy. Pulpy. Sweet. Not a lot else going on here. Medium body and light carbonation. Nothing wrong with this beer, just nothing that grabs my attention.

Thanks for the blue cokes.

3.59/5  rDev +6.5%

Even though I've had a few sips of one of my brother's favorite beers and did not care for it, I went ahead and ordered a bottle myself last night while staying dry from Tropical Storm Cindy last night in Atlanta. It's better than Middlebury's counterpart, but still just okay. Could this not be a touch of blue in appearance for aesthetic purposes? Too clear and crisp in my opinion. not too overwhelming in smell or taste. The ladies at my table did enjoy it however. You may be able to get a few converts with this one.

3.72/5  rDev +10.4%

You know, sometimes, it's all about setting. I had 5 of these while lounging on the beach on Jekyll Island and turning through Gary Jennings' "Aztec". And I loved it. The moment could not have been better.

Take away the fabulous read, and replace the deserted beach with my stuffy apartment, and this loses a bit of appeal.

Pours gold, lightly smogged with a thin white rim.
Scented foremost of blueberries, offset only partially with a pale graininess.
Begins with a pils like maltiness, cracker dry, and light. Perhaps a minor flourish of wheat-induced lemon, then it's onto blueberries and spun sugar. It's far from oversweet, it's body so light it's nearly frail, and for those that enjoy the fruit (as I do), it can be a voracious quaff. But's it's seems that it is better enjoyed while preoccupied with other pleasures. It pales when taken alone.

2.78/5  rDev -17.5%

Pale cloudy yellow in color with nondescript fluffy, loose head of pure white that is dissapointingly short lived for a wheat beer.

Immediate assault of blueberry sweetness in the nose. Complete lack of tartness to balance. Mild spice and wheat smell in the back somehere. Definately doesn't smell 100% natural. To sweet smelling to be real blueberry in the nose.

Flavor is more subtle, thankfully, but displays the precise characteristics of the nose. A faint bit of lemony, grainey, wheat beer flavors, but way too lite.

Body is bordering watery, thin and lifeless. I would however quaff this on a hot afternoon when something very light is called for. Drinkable, just not overly desirable.

4.19/5  rDev +24.3%

Sweetwater Blue is a lighter wheat beer with a fruit addition. The first thing that hits you when yoiu pick one up is the smell. It smells exactly like blueberry pancakes! Interesting for a beer. The beer is not itself blue, but rather a clear mid-yellow color. It holds a reasonable head of about an inch. The blueberry taste of the beer is not as strong as the odor is. The blueberry expresses itself subtlely instead of being an overpowering syrup. The medium carbonation and relatively low ABV make this a light ale, suitable for a session drink or a quick one at lunch.

Sweetwater Blue would be a great choice if you wanted to have a beer at a brunch or something. It also goes well with a snack. I feel that other fruits would compliment it nicely. Light and cool, with the slighty hint of fruit, it is also popular with the ladies that I know.

Get a six pack for your girlfriend and snag one or two for yourself.

2.92/5  rDev -13.4%

Slightly hazy, yellow gold in hue with no further color development; damn, I wanted the liquid to be blue! Oh well. The head was white in color; at the zenith the foam was one finger in height. In a split second it dissipated to a very thin collar that was basically naked in the middle. There was no subsequent lacing. Disappointing. This beer is nothing special to look at. The nose is dead on… if this was uncooked blueberry muffin mix. The blueberries don’t smell fresh or real yet they don’t smell so fake I’m repulsed. Soft grainy notes are also in play. The potency is low and so is the complexity. The bouquet doesn’t say much at all. It is not offensive but it is not inviting. Rather ho-hum. The palate is more rounded than the nose. Maltier too, I get a big blast of grains just like I did in the bouquet. Interestingly the blueberry flavor is very weak, I can find it at the back but it gets lost in this beer. What does it get lost in you may ask? I’m not sure because there isn’t much going on here. This is a brewpub quality, throwaway fruit beer. Ubiquitous. The palate has some flavor but it is odd and not that special. There is a cake-like sweetness that, while soft, is not working for me. Also, I’m burping blueberries, which is not as cool as burping hops. The palate is inoffensive and undeveloped. Lackluster. Medium-light in body with low but natural carbonation, the mouthfeel is pleasant and very fitting for this beer. I could see this beer being liked by a good number of people (maybe not BA types). I could also see this beer being hated by a good number of people (maybe BA types). To me this beer is just okay. I guess it would work on a really hot summer day but a glass of water might work better. Maybe this beer would be nice on a 4th July picnic with some fruit pie. Maybe that would be futile, it is more “beery” than fruity. Thanks to au1sec for the bottle, I’ve want to try is oddity for a while. My curiosity is quenched… one was enough for me.

3.62/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pellucid sunset amber topped by a large, frothy head of pale ivory colored foam. The cap sports an actively bubbly surface, but it doesn't have the look of a good lace maker. Good call; there's very little glass coverage in the end.

I smelled fresh blueberries as soon as I popped the cap, despite the fact that the beer wasn't that close to my nose. The 'berry cloud' has since dissipated, but this is still a very good fruit beer nose with plenty of power. It smells uncannily like warm blueberry muffins with minimal, if any, added spice.

Tough call on this one. Blue has more fruit flavor than most fruit beer, with the blueberriness exploding in the mouth akin to the bursting of the actual berries themselves (well... not quite). The only thing is, the flavor tastes artificial. A little sugar would help to cut the saliva-sucking dryness and the surprising bitterness. The finish is nice and long with a blueberry linger that lasts until the next sip. The body/mouthfeel just does reach medium and the beer contains a fraction too much carbonation.

I had high hopes for Sweetwater Blue after giving it a few sniffs. Although it isn't the killer blueberry ale that I'm in search of (and have yet to find), it isn't a bad little summer brew. A little sugar and a little spice would spiff it up considerably. Thanks to au1sec for the bottle.

Sweetwater Blue from SweetWater Brewing Company