Sweetwater Blue - SweetWater Brewing Company

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002

Reviews: 281 | Hads: 1,069
3.06/5  rDev -9.5%

a: yellow and clear. light head that shows a ton of carbonation in this.

s: buttery blueberry bread. Very nice, I'm getting all muffins in this one.

t: disappointing. A nice blueberry, but this is very watery. Nothing that hints at wheat and it is just a blueberry flavored water. sad.

m: watery, thin. not a fan of this, but the carbonation is at least good.

o: not impressed by my second sweetwater beer. They did a great job with the blueberry flavor and they taste nice and refreshing, but the beer is just too water and thin. There is no wheat presence in this and I would prefer several blueberry beers over this. No need to get it again, but glad I tried. (666 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

(8/7 Bottle) Golden pour, thin head, mild carbonation. Mild aroma, wheat sweet taste, hint of blueberry and malt. Good offering by Sweetwater Brewery! (150 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -10.1%

This beer pours an unremarkable clear gold with no dissernable head. As with most fruity beers the aroma is great malty with a hint of blueberries. The taste is light, almost watery, with a hint of malt and faint blueberries. Good carbonation but an average fruit beer at best. (277 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -18%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Tried this one at the brewery's Friday afternoon happy hour while visiting Atlanta (a great time, I highly recomended stopping by if you are in the ATL). Looks fairly non-distinct, just kind of a thin, golden color with little bit of white head that quickly dissapeared. Smell packed a punch: blueberries and wheat. I could catch a whiff of it from 2 feet away. The taste, however, was much somewhat muted. It was malty and fruity, but not as fruity as I thought it would be after the smell. There was also some light hoppiness to give it a more rounded taste than just fruit juice, but for the most part, this beer was one-demensional. Mouthfeel was light and well carbonated. I liked this beer enough, and it was light enough to be a session beer, but I didn't really want another one after I was done. (804 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -26%

*Notes from 3/4/2011*

I am not a big fan of fruit beers and in particular blueberry beer. Even so, this was a very sub-par beer. tasted overwhelmingly of blueberry( surprise surprise) . This being my first beer from Sweetwater, it did not bod well and I hope that their other beers are better. I don't like to judge an entire brewery based on a bad beer, or a good one for that matter. I also got a few of their other ones and expect better things. More reviews to follow. (473 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +7.7%

First thing noticed is the smell, it really smells like blueberry, not too overpowering though.

Appearance is nothing special, typical golden ale look, no real head retention or lacing.

Tasting this beer was a surprise, I wasn't expecting much since I'm not a fan of fruit beers, but this one is actually good. The fruit taste isn't very overpowering, in fact I don't even notice it much at all. A malty taste which isn't too malty, it's a well balanced and suprisingly good beer. (486 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -0.9%

Picked up a six pack for 8.99 at Total Wine in Kennesaw Georgia

A - pours an unfiltered hazy orange color with maybe a tint or purple color (blueberry color mixed with the other colors naturally present in beer). Fizzy head that disappears quickly leaving little to no lacing or head. Kind of a dead-looking beer.

S - Blueberries - but not really natural smelling. Smells like a blueberry biscuit - sounds kind of gross. Doughy. There's a papery smell there as well. Wheat hints are slight.

T - Blueberry. Biscuit. Wheat. Grainy. Pretty pleasant actually.

O - Despite its seeming lack of beer qualities, I like Sweetwater Blue. It's refreshing. It's unique. It's Georgian.

If I could rank it on a 0-100 scale I would rank this a 90, whether my actual rating equates to that or not. (786 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -47.3%

This is an interesting beer, but that's about it. "Interesting" in the sense that the mold formations on your month-old cheese are "interesting"; it makes you say "whoa", but not in a good way, and you definitely don't want to put it in your mouth.

It pours out a pale amber color, nothing to write mom about, but not bad looking. It develops almost no head, and quickly goes down to exactly no head.

It smells fruity like the blueberries it's made with, barely discernable hops, and a slight sour smell.

Tastes like blueberries that have been soaked in sugar syrup. It's really only moderately sweet, but the blueberry is so overpowering that it drowns out all other flavors, as well as all semblence of balance.

The mouthfeel is truly awful. It feels like one has just downed motor oil. Not because of the viscosity (it's a very light beer), but because you just know you can't hope to digest what you just swallowed. It simply wasn't meant for drinking. Maybe I can compare it to drinking zippo fuel...that's a bit more like the consistency of this stuff. It sits on your stomach like a ton of bricks.

Drinkability is also horrible. I can drink one of these, and after that I feel like any more and I'll be needing a railing to vomit over. It sits on your stomach, and on top of that it sours *very* quickly. This is not a good session beer, or (in my opinion), a good anything beer. If you want a fruit beer, get some Purple Haze. (1,452 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +21.9%

Down in Atlanta, visiting family, I was lucky enough to stop at the Sweetwater brewery. A wonderful place. Tried all of their fine beers...pretty much as fresh as you can get them.

The blue was really nice, for those of you who like fruit beers. It was not overly sweet. Golden in color, with a nice, lite, fruity scent. The taste was crisp, clean, but as noted, not too too sweet. Great for a summer afternoon.

Not a typical style you find all over, but it is served in many Atlanta bars...the brewery guide said they are only distributing in a limited area, so those of us in the northeast will not be seeing Sweetwater anytime soon. (641 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -20.1%

Fruit beers are not my favorites, but I know a great beer when I see it. This beer is not that beer.

The pour into my trusty sam adams glass is nothing impressive, but the smell takes you to where you hope to find a delightful beer. Instead the taste leaves you at the door, and the mouthfeel leaves your mouth feeling what I call fishy.

I won't be trying this beer again, but have enjoyed several of Sweetwaters beers, and would advise anyone to pick a sweetwater product up when possible! (492 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +32.8%

It is a really enjoyable beer. The appeance wasn't all that. It did not have much head and no lace on the glass as it goes down. The smell is interesting you can definetly smell the blueberries but you can still smell some of the hop. The taste is a lot better that what I expected I was suprised. The mouthfeel is there and finishes smooth and refreshing which makes for a wonderfuld drinkability. Good beer even though I am not much for a fruity beer. I did not read the label before I drank the beer so it was kind of a suprise. (531 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +9.5%

Served in a Duvel glass. Enjoyed and reviewed on the Ides of March.

A: Golden straw in color' White head of >1 finger that quickly receded and leaves no lacng.

S: Blueberry, grass, mildly earthy

T: Blueberry, some malt and hops.

M: Thin and over carbonated

D: Gets high marks here. I think I found my new lake brew. (327 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -16.6%

Saw this in Atlanta recently I didn’t buy it since I most often hate fruit laced beers but I tried one anyway. The beer is a light golden color with virtually no head. It smells mainly of blueberries. It tasted mainly of blueberries with slight hop taste. Pretty decent for a blueberry beer ill give it that. I would not drink more than one a week though. (356 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +26.3%

Ok, I know, another fruit beer. But is good, I promise. Pours a clear yellow, with white small carbo head. Not very impressive, but it's an ok looking beer. Smells yeasty, with good scents of blueberry. Has a sweet yeasty profile, with lots of blueberry flavor. Slighlty tart. Mouthfeel is medium body. Very good drinkable beer. Next to sea dog, this is one of my favorites. Hate that it's not distrubuted to Charlotte, what's that all about? (442 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +25.4%

This brew was the first beer after Abita Purple haze that I have tried with any fruit resemblance to it. I loved the smell wow you could open this brew 15ft from me and I would either believe I was at IHOP or you just opened a Sweetwater Blue. Smooth very smooth clean crisp blueberry taste brilliant finish that leaves both beer and blueberry. The alcohol is there but not at all powerful. If you are tired of your girlfriend drinking to many fru fru drinks that cost an arm and a leg buy here one of these and your gold. (522 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -5.6%

A- Golden and soapy head. About normal for other beers of this style.

S- Blueberries and malts. Nice smell.

T- It drinks like a normal beer but then you get a hit of blueberry taste. Its good but way to sweet to be a session beer for me.

M- Not my exact feel.

Good for one, but i would never drink a 6 pack. (311 characters)

3.44/5  rDev +1.8%

A: Poured into a standard pint glass, slightly hazy, light amber honey color with a 1 finger head that quickly dissipated.

S: Blueberry muffins and pale malt.

T: This is one of the best fruit beers I have had in its subtlety and simplicity. Before the blueberry comes in, there is nice pale malt and straw flavor. The blueberry flavor is not overpowering like the "blueberry pie filling" taste I have had in other similar beers. There is no particular hop presence that I can taste, but I know they are there.

M: Not quite as smooth as I would like, as there is some prickliness from the carbonation, but the mouthfeel is good nonetheless.

D: I wouldn't drink these all night, but I could definitely make a dent in that 6-pack. On a hot afternoon, this beer hits the spot. (777 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -4.7%

Picked up a 6er from my local Harris Teeter, as per usual. $9 for a 6-pack so I had high expectations. I was promised by a good friend that this was a premier blueberry beer, so I had high hopes.

Poured out cleanly. Looked a little watery to be honest. Golden-yellow; no blue hues like I'd hoped. I smelled a faint hint of blueberries in the air as I poured. The head itself was somewhat impressive, probably about two fingers. However, it receded to reveal minimal to no lacing. Because of the lack of hops, I expected as much. Still, it was a disappointment.

Took a big whiff over the glass. Pure blueberries. Reminded me of blueberry muffins. Took a little swig at first, assessing the carbonation. Adequate. Probably better than average. Very bubbly, which I like. Felt really smooth in my mouth.

It was definitely easy to drink, but all in all, a little watery. The blueberry taste wasn't too artificial like my last blueberry beer, Wild Blue. So that was nice.

All in all, not too bad, but I know there are better blueberry beers out there. (1,051 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours goldenrod colored with thin head that leaves quickly. Smell is of berries and grass. Blueberry is there and obvious but not overpowering. Taste is fruit/berry forward but there is a little yeast/bread undertone that was not expected (in a bad way). The taste was not bad, just off a little from my expectation. Carbonation was good and body about right for style of beer. Decently drinkable, more of a warm weather beer in my book. (437 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +5.9%

Served on tap into a pint glass at the Mellow Mushroom, Marietta, GA

A: Standard gold color, clear body, one finger foamy head that lasted a while, lots of persistent lacing

S: mild blueberries

T: Tasted like blueberries but not overly so. Some hops but not strong. Aftertaste a bit bitter.

M: Really good feel; carbonation is mild and right for the beer.

O: good summer fruit beer (386 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Light yellow, no head, no lacing.

S: A lot of blueberry.

T: Good, a little sweet for me but enjoyable nonetheless.

M: WAY too much carbonation.

D: Decently drinkable.

Overall it was okay. I wouldn't seek it out again, but I wouldn't avoid it either.

Also just noticed that the bottle I drank had a best if drank by date of December 20 2010 and it's currently January 26 2011. Looks like I'll be trying this one again later to give it a fair chance. (504 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - yellowish

Smell - smells like blueberries

Taste - sweet,too sweet for my tastes. Leaves a definite blueberry taste in my mouth. Almost has an alka seltzer effect.

Mouthfeel - high carbonation.

Overall - won't buy this beer. Too sweet with strong fruity aftertaste. (282 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +15.4%

A very pleasant surprise. Figured I hate it, as it isn't big and dark and malty-caramelly-roasty. The blueberries I was pretty sure I'd dislike in there.

I poured it into a regular ol' pint and it produced a two finger head, which settled down quickly and went away. Noticeable but not overpowering smell of blueberries, which also fades as beer warms. When at its coldest, blueberries are subtly but definitely tasted first, and then a rather light but refreshing beer makes itself known. By the end of the glass, the beer taste is coming first and the blueberries are finishing.

I thought the beer managed to strike a nice balance of fruit and beer taste. I can see grabbing a couple more of these in the heat of next summer. (736 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured about 4 of these things and could only generate the faintest of heads. The smell was pleasant, dominated by blueberries. The taste was oversweet, but the flavors were not unpleasant. Mouthfeel was unremarkable, perhaps a little thin with low carbonation. The sweetness really detracts from the drinkability for me, and I could not drink more than 1-2 at a time. (368 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -3.6%

Tried on-tap at the Saucer, as I missed it at the Brewer's Fest.

An interesting beer...not much stand-out except the aroma, which easily carried around the entire table. It is obviously blueberry, and a honey element too. If the aroma carried over further into the taste, it too would receive higher marks. However, the taste was too sweet without discernible hop bitterness.

Give it a shot if you can find it, but don't waste time seeking it out exclusively. (465 characters)

Sweetwater Blue from SweetWater Brewing Company