Sweetwater Georgia Brown - SweetWater Brewing Company

Georgia, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-13-2002

Ratings: 653 | Reviews: 238

This is probably my favorite beer right now. I love Brown Ales and this is the best I've had. I buy it regularly. I am from Georgia, and of English decent, so I'm basically who this beer was made for. Plus, this is readily avialible in my area. Thanks Sweetwater! It really looks beautiful in a glass. Clear ruby red and brown. Satisfying from the first taste to being plastered. This ain't sipping ale.

4.94/5  rDev +38.4%

Excellent brew! The appearance was like the bsp from sweetwater it has a nice lace that definetly sticks to the glass the whole way down. The smell is of malts and full of hops! The taste wow I was not expected the sweet caramel taste but man it is good. The mouthfeel is medium but very nice which makes for a great drinkability goes down so smooth!! I think this definetly worth having the wonderful state of georgia in its name!!!! I advise you to try any of the sweetwater brews beings that I have not found one that is bad yet!

4.75/5  rDev +33.1%

Bulldog in Jackson MS. Hefty lacing that quickly dissipated. Smooth with hints of molasses and caramel. Delicious brown ale. Reminds me of KM Brown. Can I get some more?

4.61/5  rDev +29.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Smooth, great caramel and chocolate notes

4.56/5  rDev +27.7%

I have tried brown ales every chance I get. These guys make the absolute best i have ever had. So smooth and light tasting.

4.39/5  rDev +23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Copper colored with a low beige head and decent carbonation but no lace. Big nutty aroma and lightly sweet aroma. Nutty malt flavor dominates with a sweet honey-like taste but not overly so. Light bodied and refreshing with nice balance.

A good session beer for an English Brown. I rated this as an English Brown - hard to compare to an American Brown or more Robust Brown...

Label states: "Honey malt"

Gold Medal - 2001 GABF - English Brown Ale

Originally brewed by Atlanta’s first microbrewery Marthasville Brewing Company which is now closed.

Best By: 4th Week Nov ('03)
Tasted: 12/14/03

4.38/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep, dark brown with a thin layer of brownish, off white head that's creamy and soft. The nose has a nice malty aroma that's toasty, nutty, and caramelly. The flavor is toasty, roasty, a bit nutty, earthy, almost smoky, a little sweet with good caramel notes. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied, a bit chewy, smooth, and well carbonated.

This is a really solid beer. It's flavorful, complex, drinkable, refreshing, enjoyable. I would definitely have this again.

4.3/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured this one from a 12 oz. glass into a pint glass. Thanks to a friend in Bham for bringing me a 6-pack!

It poured a nice dark amber color, with a sizable head that lingered for a while. The aroma is a blend of maltiness and nuttiness that leaves me eager to drink up! The beer has a nice rich roasted nut flavor... malty but a good blend. Very crisp and easy to drink... the bitterness is subtle and nice.

I'm a fan of this one, very nice brown ale!

4.25/5  rDev +19%

one of the better SweetWater beers I've had

4.22/5  rDev +18.2%

Poured from a bottle into a Victory tulip

A- pours a dark shade of brown (not black) with a one finger tan head. Looks nice

S- nice chocolate aroma coming through. Smells great!

T- really, really nice chocolate flavors coming through with a slight hint of coffee in the finish as well. Real nice

M- medium bodied, not bad at all

O- fantastic brown ale, one of my favorites. Criminally underrated

4.21/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Found this quite by accident at the TGIF in terminal B at the Atlanta Airport. Big old fashioned microphone tap handle spoke out for a try. I was quite pleased. The appearance is a solid chocolate brown brew with a sturdy head that held firm to the very end of my 22 ounces. Lacing is also decent. Aroma is modest but is a bit of brown bread and malt. The flavor jumps out as brown sugar and charcoal with a bit of chocolate. There is a slight orange tang at the tip. Somewhat aqueous with friendly carbonation throughout. A very nice, mild, drinkable beer which I will certainly sample again when given the chance.

4.2/5  rDev +17.6%

Pours to a thin tan head and brown color. Aroma is chocolate malt, smoky malt and earthy hops. Flavor is hershey syrup followed by mellow hops and sweet malts. Mouthfeel is good. Overall, this beer is easily accessible due to low hop bitterness and maltiness. Mass appeal. Recommended.

4.2/5  rDev +17.6%

On tap at the Sweetwater Tap room in the ATL airport.

Pours a very deep brown that turns a slightly translucent brown the more you drink. Half inch head that disappears.

The smell is surprisingly sweet for a Nut Brown. I get nutty smells (cashews mostly) behind the initial sweetness.

The taste just falls in line with the smell. The dry nutty flavors are hidden by the slick and sweet malt. I actually really like the flavors, although its not overly complex. Its a simple, easy to drink, slightly sweet Nut Brown.

4.2/5  rDev +17.6%

Nice medium brown color with frothy light tan head and good carbonation. Light nutty aroma. Flavor is lightly sweet and malty with a slight hoppy bitterness. Exactly what a good sessionable brown ale should be. Smooth and drinkable. My thanks to Glid02 for this one!

4.19/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

16 oz mug off tap
Aroma- Has a nice malt aroma
Appearance- –Brown color with a moderate white head.
Taste - Pretty good flavor, malty with a sweet finish.
Palate- – This a medium-bodied brew with low carbonation and a slick feel.
Overall- This is pretty good, one of the better beers Sweetwater offers.

4.16/5  rDev +16.5%

12 oz. -> Hop Ruiter glass. Got this in a mixed 12 pack from a friend after a recent trip to Atlanta. This is the second brew I've had from SweetWater.

A - Hazy dark ruby red, thin bright white head. No lacing.

S - Wow! Really surprised here. Light chocolate notes, roasted malt, toasted sweet whole wheat bread.

T - Bold roasted malts take over quickly but drop off quick to a mild hop finish. Slightly nutty.

M - Feels like it hung out on the roof of my mouth. Not in a sticky/chewy kind of way, it's kind of hard to describe.

D - Fairly heavy on the palate. I'd get again if I could find it.

4.15/5  rDev +16.2%

Slightly hazy brown with no head or lace, but this could be the glass quailty of the restaurant. Tastes sweet, little nutty and goes down smooth with that signature SweetWater sweetness. Not sure what that sweetness is, but it is present in lots of their beers. And I wonder what the spiral thing is on the label? The label on BA is not the one I saw.

-Bye

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass

A- Dark, rich brown. Slightly murky with an ivory head.

S- Nutty, rich, hints of soy.

T- Very nutty, malty, rich, subtle hop character. Exactly what you're looking for in a brown ale.

MF- Just thick enough, not too viscous. Very smooth.

D- Highly drinkable. Relaxing, quality brew. Just enough body without being too heavy.

4.15/5  rDev +16.2%

I was able to get this Sweetwater via trade. I've enjoyed others from this brewer while passing thru the Atlanta area. SGB, I finally try.

And glad I am! I found this beer to be much to my likeing. It doesn't really pour brown at all but rather a nice deep amber red. The tan head sat on top like a pillow, soft & fluffy and maintained well. Lace was thick in spots.
The aroma was sweet, nut and sugary. The taste starts out of a sweet malt base with brown sugar, nut and caramel. Towards the end a surprise hop crispness shows up to round out the finish.
The mouth is left smooth and slick but with a slight hop dry crispness.
I found it to be very drinkable. If I could get it around my parts, id make it a staple. This beer would make a good macro convert beer. Not being a Big beer, but for sure, it has alot to offer.
Thanks Andy!!

4.15/5  rDev +16.2%

Aroma: Hazelnut, Chocolate, Roasted malt
Taste: Hazelnut, Mild Coffee, Dry Hop finish
Body: Med-Light

This is a stellar brown ale. I had this beer a year or so ago and didn't think much of it. I thought it was over-hopped to be a brown ale, and didn't have much as far as flavor was concerned. I also had it right out of the fridge. At the advice of a friend I tried it again, but I let it warm up a bit before tasting (68 degrees or so). Man, what a HUGE difference!

Fridge cold, it smells hoppy, tastes hoppy, and doesn't cut it as a brown ale.
Let it sit for a few minutes and it turns into a whole new beer. Along with the prevalent but soft flavors listed above, it has an excellent mouth feel. It's smooth, fairly light, and while the flavors linger, they're not overwhelming.

Awesome beer. Don't drink it cold.

4.12/5  rDev +15.4%

#20. This bottle has changed its name to "Georgia Brown Ale". Living about 2 hours from Atlanta has given me an opportunity to try Sweetwater products nearly everywhere. I'm ready to give this product a shot.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle to a room temperature Pint Glass (labeled Sweetwater, interestingly enough)

(Appearance) Pours a deep one-finger head depth that grows after the pour, then gradually diminishes. Retention is pretty average, but lacing is light. Beer is a medium to dark brown with some orange-gold glimmers when held to light. A little light can get through, but I can see the silhouette of a very cloudy and speckled beer. Pretty average. 3

(Smell) Some nutty tones and perhaps some caramel coffee flavors. Coffee is more subtle than in dark beer flavors, but it's very easy to draw out. That and toffee scents give this beer an overall sweet scent. I don't mind the scent because I like dark beers. This almost smells like a stout, but not nearly as intense. 3.5

(Taste) Up front are some robust sweet caramel toffee flavors, followed by a toasted black coffee finish to add a touch of bitterness. Malts are well blended with the other flavors in this brew. The taste is far more intense than what I gathered in the nose but not overwhelming on any level. Everything is balanced very well. Alcohol is tough to discern. I have very few complaints about the taste of this beer, it's impressive. 4.5

(Mouthfeel) Creamy and smooth. Trifle bitter finish that is pleasing. Medium body. Carbonation is just right. This feels great. 4

(Drinkability) Half of a dozen of these for me would be well used. I really found little problem with this beer, and for a dark beer it is highly drinkable in moderate amounts. Low enough ABV, great taste and feel give this beer a high drinkability factor. 4.5

Verdict: Straight up the best Sweetwater product I have tried so far. It is plentiful with flavor and both tastes and feels great. Any improvements to this beer would need to be in the appearance factor or the smell to bring it up to the level of the superb taste. I would recommend this to anybody regardless of the beer types they enjoy. Great flavor balance. It's all around a very good beer. B+ (3.95)

4.1/5  rDev +14.8%

Appearance – This one poured a strong but clear brown in color with a moderate but thick and stubborn head.

Smell – The malts are very smooth at the nose and stuffed with brown sugar and syrup.

Taste – Wow! The sugars are extra fine here. They are like a mix of natural maple syrup, raw brown sugar, and cane. The malts too are incredibly tasty.

Mouthfeel – This one is shy of medium-bodied but oily slick around the teeth. It also had a refreshing light bitterness to it.

Drinkability – This was much lighter than the way I remember it last year on-tap when I was down in Atlanta. It is incredibly smooth though and one of the easiest-drinking Browns that I’ve had to date.

Comments – Thanks to Uncle Flip for including this in his WTF BIF package to me. It was a thoughtful gesture and made me almost gasp when I saw it in the box as I had always wondered how I could get my hands on another bottle. Cheers, mate!

4.1/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours a hazy mahogany color, with a nice tan head that leaves nice lacing. The aroma has a bunch of sweet malt notes, with chocolate and caramel, cafe mocha, sweet cream, toasted pecans, earthy hops and a hint of alcohol. The flavor is similar with chocolate and coffee notes upfront, along with caramel and toffee, toasted pecans, honey wheat bread and some earthy hops to keep things in balance. The mouthfeel is smooth and drinkability is excellent. Really easy drinking brown ale that has enough going on to keep you interested...perfect fall beer.

4.1/5  rDev +14.8%

I'm not usually a brown ale guy, much less an English brown ale guy, but this is really good. I ordered one at a restaurant on tap the other day, but my wife was in a hurry so I didn't really get a chance to enjoy it, but I vowed to pick up a sixer to give it a fair shake. I'm glad I did. Dark brown with a big khaki head. (Did I just write khaki?) Lots of lace and stickiness in my Sierra Nevada Becker. Darker and richer than many big-named porters like Bell's and Sierra Nevada. Delicious, caramel aroma and taste. Not too thin on the palate, again, better than a lot of porters. Not a lot of hops, but after all it is an English brown ale. I really liked it and it was very fresh. Consume by 07/20/11. A great rich, malty brown ale that is better than many porters. I see a lot of these in my future when I don't want a lot of hops.

4.1/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dark brown pour leaving an inviting cap of sturdy tan foam.
Aroma-Toasted malt, caramel note
Taste-Toasted malt, caramel, toffee, milk chocolate, and a nice little undercurrent of hops that balance everything out. A very enjoyable, tasty brown ale.

Sweetwater Georgia Brown from SweetWater Brewing Company