Sweetwater Dank Tank DP Barleywine Ale - SweetWater Brewing Company

American Barleywine |  10.20% ABV

Beer added by: jdubjacket on 07-03-2009

Ratings: 80 | Reviews: 61

On-tap at Brick Store.

Pours a dark copper color with a one-finger frothy light tan head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of strong pine hops with mild caramel malt aromas. As it warms the malt aromas come out a bit more, but the hops are front and center throughout.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Caramel malt and pine hop flavors hit the palate almost simultaneously. The malt flavors are a bit stronger than the smell led me to believe, but the hops are still large, it's not a far cry from a DIPA. There's a solidly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a nice thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I finished my glass fairly quickly and could have another.

Overall this doesn't fall perfectly into the American Barleywine catagory, rather it's more of an American Barleywine DIPA hybrid. Regardless, it's tasty and worth a shot.

3.83/5  rDev -3%

Comes out of the bottle an appetizing clear copper, with a thinnish head that doesn't stick around. Aroma is strong, fruity and yeasty. Flavor is more like a brandy than a beer, fruity with just an undertone of malt and hints of yeast and caramel. Texture is quite smooth with a strong alcohol nip.

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

a: This was a fridge hazed coppery peach color. It poured with a sticky, clumpy white head.

s: Big warm, sugary toffee aromas dominate. Still plenty of room for candied fruit and lots of piny, fuesel hop aromas.

t: DIPA? B-wine? Its just semantics, who cares? How does it taste? Pretty damn good. More sweet than bitter with flavors of toffee, brown sugar, and candied fruit. Lots of piny hop bitterness, but I wouldn't have guessed 142 ibu's. This was a bit warm, but certainly not hot.

m: Between the sweetness and the bitterness, this did make my gums pucker. It had a big, sticky body and long lasting foamy carbonation.

d: Cashew70 sent me this for absolutely no reason at all. Thanks Carl! This was big, obnoxious, and lacked subtlety. I loved it!

4.01/5  rDev +1.5%

Mad props to Rbald for this one, thanks Ryan! Love the graphics on the bottle!

Pours a chilled hazed caramel with one thumb of cream colored head. Nice oily sheen, minimal head retention & lacing

S: Breadyness, pine & leafy hops as this warms a bit. Aroma tamps down once warm

T: Breadyness, brown sugar, dryness & pine up front. Brown sugar, pineyness & blood orange are there as this warms, plus grapefruit pushing to the front the warmer this gets along with pine needles. Finishes with much pine sappyness, along with grapefruit, dryness, cakeyness. toffee, & boozey warmth, almostpulled a 4.5

MF: Chewy, warming & near zero carbonation, balances out pretty well despite the proclaimed 142 IBUs

Drinks a bit slow once warm, not too mind blowing considering the ABV, I liked this, could easily pass as a DIPA IMO

4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

The first bomber from Sweetwater I've ever sampled. The old Donkey Punch name is missing, but I am sure this is just another version of it. Looked nice when poured into a tulip, as the body was clear, copper colored, and the head atop modest but stable. The smell felt muted to me, as the hops were soft and earthy, and not a lot of malt was evident via the nose. The taste was straddling the Barleywine/DIPA line, just like the previous incarnation and felt a bit hot as well. Not many deep, rich malts were found here, just a light caramel body with tons of grapefruit hops. I like the taste, but not sure about the style adherence. Mouthfeel was light, and the finish boozy. Very easy to drink considering how potent it is.

3.92/5  rDev -0.8%

A- Dark amber, small bright white head that quickly fades to a ring around the glass.

S- What.. I thought this was a barleywine? Smells like a big IIPA. Hops and fruity citrus.

T- Sugary sweet citrus and bitter hops on the nose. Followed by the barely malt and a strong 10.2% ABV. meh, this just isn't indicative to the style. I'd expect this to be a west coast attempt giving the hop content.

M- Way thick on the body. This this packs over 140IBU's and it shows. Stickly thick on the palate, not much taste.

D- Seems this beer is figuring out who it really is. There doesn't seem to be a great balance here. Maybe storing one for a while will mature this concoction.

3.77/5  rDev -4.6%

22oz bomber, latest Dank Tank release, and since BA still lists it as different than the original Donkey Punch, I'll post my review here.

Pours a dark, clear amber with a small soapy beige head that recedes to a ring and swirl quickly and leaves only faint traces of lacing behind.

The aroma certainly leans more toward balanced DIPA territory with a big hoppy blast up front, with some sweet citrus hops but mostly deep sappy pine in the nose. There is some caramel malt sweetness in the nose, but much less than I would expect from the style. It's definitely all about the hops in the aroma.

The taste is much, much sweeter than the aroma. It does have the initial floral hop kick up front, especially pine, but after that the sweetness of the caramel malts take over. Not much in the way of toffee or dark fruit or other complexities you might find in some barleywine. Nonetheless, it's a tasty beer.

The mouthfeel is slick and medium bodied, but the alcohol presence does come through more than I was expecting and leaves the palate burning after each sip.

I can't wait to bring an original Donkey Punch out of the cellar to compare to this one. This one reminds me of the fresh Donkey Punch and I imagine time has improved it. Right now, there's just a lot of big malts and hops and it doesn't quite come together for me. Still, it's an extremely good beer that I think will cellar very well.

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Interesting bottle.

Poured into a regular ol' pint glass. Color is hazy, dark orange with brown hues.

Smell is of pine hops, some sweetness.

Taste is pretty good. Very hoppy, but not as hoppy as I was expecting. Pine hops dominate with some citrus hops providing backup. Malts are pretty sweet, caramel and some honey. Decent amount of carbonation that compliments the zest of the hops well. Full bodied, tingly mouthfeel. Alcohol is not very noticeable.

Drinkability is good. I don't buy a lot of Sweetwater products, but I'd buy this again. I think this is one of their better offerings.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

22 oz bomber I picked up from Hop City in Atlanta, GA. These bottles ran $5.99 each (don't let anyone fool you) but they went pretty fast, so I was glad to get my hands on a few bottles. Good value for the Donkey Punch I have been looking forward to for quite a while (that sounded bad, ah well). Served up in a snifter glass.

A: This beer has an interesting look. It looks like a dark DIPA or maybe a lighter Barleywine. Has that dark orange that is almost a light brown. The body has a nice haze to it but it still allows a good amount of light to come through, creating a more vibrant orange color. The pour got me about a finger of extra bubbly white head. It falters down to a top cap that is all seperated bubbles. It attempts to throw up some lace, but there is a pretty evident oil slick on top here that makes the glass extra slippery, keeping the foam slowly slipping back in the top cap. If this was a DIPA, it would have gotten a 4.5 but the color is a bit light for a BW. Still very enjoyable and nice to look at.

S: Well, excuse me but I think I found the hops. Big time in your face hops aroma in here. Getting a really nice pine presence here. Very nice and extra pine resin in this for sure. Then you get a really nice floral hops compliment in the aroma. Just so much hops . . . wow. Behind all these hops you get some caramel malt coming through. Its a nice sweetness and there may be a touch of some honey I believe.

T: Very interesting and a nice suprise. First I get a heavy hops presence that has some serious bite to it. The pine is very nice and very present. It rides a fine line of too much at times, almost reaching that cleaning fluid type presence. Floral hops ad a touch of citrus (grapefruit zest) as well come through bringing some sweetness and dynamics. Just when you get halfway through the sip and you think the hops are going to be too much, it is cut rather quickly with the malt presence. A pretty sweet but manageable caramel malt cuts all those hops amazingly well. The back end is all alcohol with some nice honey presence, almost like a meade aftertaste. The balance works so well and is quite impressive. You have that sweetness in here but you have that extreme hops bite. Very, very interesting.

M: Full bodied that has a very nice oil slickness quality. Still has a good creaminess at the start, but then all those hops bring that nice bitterness to add an intriguing compliment. Carbonation is light but still adds just enough. ABV has some serious heat, I mean I might start sweating. Just very warming. Aftertaste is booze and honey.

D: This is very interesting and was quite damned good. It rides a fine line between DIPA and BW, and at times seems to have an indentity crisis at times. I mean a Barleywine at 140 IBUs? It works better than I thought it would, but that is due to the heavy ass malt presence. The bottle has gone amazingly fast and I was a bit shocked considering the IBUs and ABV. I am very happy I was able to get a hold of some of this and this was not a wasted trip to track down. Quite good IMO.

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

Was lucky enough to come across this on tap at Taco Mac tonight.
Served in a 11oz. goblet.
Appearance - Caramel color
Smell - Floral hops
Taste - Hops, but in flavor, not bitterness.
rounds out the malt bill perfect. Spicey alcohol but well balanced.
Mouthfeel - Fullbody. Like you would expect in this style.
Drinkability - Goes down smooth. Danger - Danger, Will Robinson!!! I could have easily drank more but I would have have needed help getting home. Would like to find a couple of bottles to stash for a couple of years.

4.28/5  rDev +8.4%

This is a version of the original Donkey Punch barleywine released a couple of years ago. From what I understand, the ingredients have changed... plus it's in a different bottle, so it has to be a different beer, right?

Picked up half a dozen bottles of these at Green's on Buford the other night and have since enjoyed two.

Poured out of a 22 ounce bottle. Pours a copper, golden color with a lot of carbonation and head. It's not as dark as I was expecting for a barleywine.

Smell is VERY SWEET. Candied sugar comes to mind, but deep down I know it's the alcohol making this beer smell so sweet. The hops are very prevalent in the nose.

Taste... if this wasn't tabbed as a barleywine on the label, I'd be certain that it'd be a double IPA. The sweetness starts the beer off with the bitter hops balancing out the sweetness. The brew finishes very alcoholic. For some reason, while I was drinking this, I kept tasting honey. The taste is nearly a combination of a double IPA and a braggot. The taste is not typical for your standard barleywine.

Good amount of carbonation in the mouth and plenty of body for this beer.

Tough to drink one of these on your own, but when you do, you'll be feeling pretty good.

Overall, this beer is great. Like I said, I'd swear it was a double IPA. But, nevertheless, this is a great beer.

Sweetwater Dank Tank DP Barleywine Ale from SweetWater Brewing Company