Sweetwater Dank Tank Big Ol' Belgian Blue Balls - SweetWater Brewing Company

Sweetwater Dank Tank Big Ol' Belgian Blue BallsSweetwater Dank Tank Big Ol' Belgian Blue Balls

good

SweetWater Brewing Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-01-2009

to view more.
Ratings: 62 | Reviews: 51
3.5/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle that has been in the cellar for a long, long time. Poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Slight, blue-ish tint to an otherwise reddish amber body. A surprising finger of slightly fizzy, mostly foamy head that lingers for a minute and falls leaving a thick collar around the edge of the glass.

S - I'm somewhat shocked that there is still a noticeable blueberry presence. A bit fruity overall with some with the blueberry actually standing up towards the front of the aroma profile - pretty good considering the age of the bottle and the difficulty in getting blueberries to create much aroma in the first place. Also picking up a slight tartness, some wheat and cereal grain maltiness. So far, so good.

T - Blueberries survive into the flavor as well. Noticeable rye graininess and spicy aspects. Alcohol is very noticeable as well giving some warmth on the swallow. More than a little bit of oxidation, which is well expected for a bottle with this many years on it - detracts, but doesn't kill it completely. Lingering caramelly malt flavor on the finish.

M - Lighter side of medium bodied with a mid-level, somewhat foamy carbonation. Oxidation, yeast esters, fruit fading to an earthy caramelly finish.

O - Held up better than I expected but the oxidation is heavy and really affects the overall impression. Blueberries were amazing prominant in the nose and flavor still.

3.21/5  rDev -8%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a snifter glass. This bottle has been sitting in my basement for a few years, so I'll take that into account when reviewing.

A: Great looking beer. The color is a rose/golden color with a nice one finger off white head with hints of red. I love the looks of this.

S: Sweetness is huge with a big nose of Belgian yeast. Fruit mixes with the candy sweetness and the yeast for a funky smell.

T: Sweet fruit with apple, pear, blueberry, peach and sugar sweetness. The yeast gives it the Belgian twang but the sweetness wins out over everything. Finish is sweet and cloying. I'm not getting much alcohol.

M: Medium which is surprising. Sweet, sticky and cloying.

O: Not a beer for me, but I also realize I probably let it sit too long. I was just not digging it.

Overall I couldn't finish the bottle. I realize it probably sat in my basement too long, but either way I was not digging it. I still have a bottle of the Dank Tank BW to try, hope that one is a bit better.

2.24/5  rDev -35.8%

2009 rate.

Bottle, I believe this was from Grant. Thanks dude! Pours a clear strawberry amber with a soapy white head. Belgian yeast and some kind of berry syrup fill the nose. Interesting but not altogether appealing. Highly spritzy mouth, not so cloying as I feared, quite focused on that Belgian yeast. Somewhat offensive flavor profile. This is one I can't drink a whole lot of unfortunately. Finish is long, medicinal blueberry syrup, yeast, a touch of hops. Not my thing.

2.9/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle. Pours a clear gold, orange with a small bubbly head. The blueberries aren't overwhelming which I find to be a relieve. However, it's pretty much what I expected to be. More or less a bigger version of the Blue

Review from tasting notes on Sep 28, 2009.

3.24/5  rDev -7.2%

The beer pours a nice color, caught between red and pink (though much closer to red). i double checked the label, and it definitely says "Belgian wheat", and as such the one finger white crown that has no staying power and leaves no lace is a disappointment. The nose is of blueberries and fruit juice (I want to say apple juice, but that's not quite right), with a faint smell of alcohol present as well. The taste follows suit, but the rye mentioned on the bottle finally makes an appearance. The rye influence was a pleasant surprise, I'm not a big fan of beers that go heavy on rye, but this beer did it subtly and it added a nice spiciness in the background. BOBBB has a nice smoothness to it, courtesy of the wheat, and surprisingly has a decent amount of carbonation given the appearance. The drinkability suffers from something that I didn't touch on above, but the alcohol is way too present in this beer, especially for one that's only 8%. I think with a little refinement this could be a pretty good beer, but for now it's just average all things considered.

4.07/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Looks like a lot of the reviews of this beer come from drinking out of a bottle. I am lucky enough to live in Atl and get Sweetwater pretty much wherever I go. On draft this beer is awesome. Obviously has a lot of fruit smell to it and on drinking you can definitely the blueberries, but I think it is paired really well with some good hoppiness. Would drink this ber on draft anytime...and recommend you try it on draft (although it is gone by now..as SW has moved onto 2 more dank tanks since this one)

4.14/5  rDev +18.6%

Poured from a bomber into a Dogfish Head snifter. Poured a slightly purple amber; a very pale beer with a bit of blueberry purple. Very little very white head developed that dissipated quickly. Somewhat cloudy appearance.

Very bready sweet aroma. Just a hint of Belgian fruit flavors. Fairly typical Belgian aromas with a bit of extra fruity sweetness. Quite nice.

Complex flavor. Dominated by Belgian flavors. This would be very much like a sweeter Belgian Golden Strong but with the blueberry addition. Sweetness & fruit hits first followed by cloves and tart apples and other Belgian phenols and esters. A nice bit of hop bitterness at the end to balance things out.

Highly carbonated and a slightly thick mouthfeel. This is a surprisingly good, really pleasant Belgian with just a hint of blueberry. This beer was 9 months old when tasted -- I wish I would have bought a couple more -- very nice beer.

3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

The last of the series I needed to try, and the one I was most afraid of to be honest, lol. I decided to open this one up with my mother in law the other night and complete the run through the southern brews. Served chilled and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 05/02/2010.

The pour was decent, a odd golden amber color. Small head, fades quickly and leaves behind almost no lacing at all. Some carbonation could be seen coming up from the bottom, but nothing really bowling me over here in any way. Still decent though, Initial aroma is light berries, hints of grass and light grain, a touch of cereal as well. Warming really starts to bring out a ton of fruit notes now though and the flavor really starts to pick up a good bit. Nice light blueberries and light Belgian yeast, hints of light pears now as well. Light seems to be the theme here is nothing is really dominating in any way. Still though I think it has its purpose and the light body and feel lended it self to being nicely drinkable.

Overall I don't know about this one. On one hand it is very drinkable and easy to sip, and on the other rather light and not terribly inspiring. Oh well, you cannot have it both ways.

3.64/5  rDev +4.3%

poured into a tulip,nice slightly hazy orange color.nose is slightly medicinal, bit of sweetness. big banana/clove flavor upfront, wheat in the middle.bit of blueberry skins in the middle,finishes with a bit of a hot phenolic note. the rye really sits on the tongue in the finish with a bit of blueberry,not in a bad way.

medium bodied.decent.worth trying if you're into belgians in anyway/shape/form.

2.51/5  rDev -28.1%

Gtreid shared this one with me.

A- golden in color. Little head that quickly fades. No lace left.

A- big willie wonka blueberries and a sweet smelling factor that I'm thinking is almost honey like. Smells very yummy.

T- the blueberries aren't wonka like at all. It almost tasted like artificial flavoring. It almost tastes like a wine cooler that I use to steal from my moms fridge when I was a kid. Way to sweet.liquid cotton candy. I need to brush my teeth just from reviewing my notes on this.

M- like a thin sugary syrup. Makes my teeth scream.

D- no tnx.

3.37/5  rDev -3.4%

Even more thanks to mrandypandy, another Southern gem!

It pours the look of a peach into my Unibroue tulip, it's the right color, and its cloudiness gives the look of peach fuzz. A finger of white foam relaxes to a generous skim, finally floating islands. Nice.

Blueberry up front in the smell, but matched by yeasty esters of pear, apple for a fruity tart, with a caramely undernote sweetening the deal to make a fruity, luscious, medium-strength bouquet. The beer's best feature.

I don't like fruit beer, I'm trying this because it's a Dank Tank, and the other two DT styles I tried were magnificent. First sip the blueberries were strong, and it tasted like a sparkling fruit wine. Uh oh, another fruit beer I won't like. It was too cold (50 deg.), it turns out. As it warms this beer turns better, but no where near the quality of the other DT's. The fruity yeast esters usher the blueberry into a sip full of sweet, tart, and floral, but as the sweet subsides, the tart really takes on a strange aftertaste. It does pick up a bit of herbal bitter, but the finish is overly sweet.

Mouthfeel is not bad, nice light feel to it, carb. is o'kay, but the finish is really disappointing, a cloying mess.

Drinkability is o'kay, had little trouble finishing this. I don't know what else to add here.

Impression: Glad I tried it, proves even Sweetwater can't hit all home runs

2.11/5  rDev -39.5%

22 oz. bomber split with urwithdave. This one was part of the BA Bowling winning hauls.

A: Dark copper, orange color. The pour leaves a very small off white head that dosen't leave much lace.

A: Wow, sugar all the way. Sweet berries, I'm guessing they are the blueberries. Probably some honey in there as well.

T: Man, this was a sweet beer. I didn't think the flavors went well at all. The sweetness was just overbearing. I got a small Belgian influence, but just couldn't get by the sugar in the brew.

M: Thick and syurpy. Very little carbonation.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is very poor. Overall, this beer didn't do it for me at all. Way too sweet, way too syrupy, way too many berries. These guys have made much better beer. Will not try again. Skal.

2.11/5  rDev -39.5%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Southern Tier tulip glass. Pours a slightly reddish amber color with a very thin white lacing on top. The head faded pretty quickly and left very little lacing on the glass.

Aroma is very sweet and strong with sugar. It also has some Belgian yeast and maybe some faint blueberries. It's really hard to get past anything except the sugary sweetness.

The taste is unfortunately a lot like the nose, overwhelming sweetness. I can taste a little more blueberry flavor but overall it's mostly a sugary and sweet malt taste. it's definitely too much sweetness for me with nothing really interesting to redeem it.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is not good, I'm not sure I can even drink much more if it. I really didn't enjoy this beer, it tasted like a sugary mess to me with very little blueberry, which was disappointing.

3.78/5  rDev +8.3%

From notes 1-16-10

Eye: Orange in color and clear with some red hues. Head is off white with what seems to be blueish tint, maybe its just me though knowing that there are blueberries in here. Head is a medium-thick blanket over the top of the beer. Looks good enough.

Nose: Overall pretty weak aroma. Belgian tripelish with some blueberries underneath. Aroma is very soft. Wheat does come through quite easily, rye isn't really noticeable. The aroma isn't bad, but I'd like something stronger a bit more potent.

Tongue: Right away blueberries on the soft palate. Very nice belgian pale which is the whole beer. Lots of that kinda light candied, butterscotch type of deal. Not like Duvel at all, more like Grimbergen Blonde, Leffe, or Affligem. Blueberry is hinted at, its barely there. The way it affects the beer is hard to describe. Blueberry is right on the tip of the tongue, once the beverage passes the tip and moves on to the middle and back of the tongue the blueberry is dimisnished. Small amounts of diacetyl. Soft flavor from the wheat and some rye charcter is picked up on as well, some dryness and hints at spiciness. Alcohol is well hidden. Some blueberry lingers on the back of the throat after its swallowed.

Feel and Drinkability: This is quite a dry beer, but easy to drink. Body is light and smooth, carbonation itself is higher and works well with the style. This is one I'll enjoy the rest of but I don't think that its one I'd seek out or readily buy now that I've tried it. Its not bad, but, for me, there would be no reason to come back to this beer. Worth trying but I see no reason why I'd come back to it even if it were available where I live. I am very glad that I got to try it though.

3.53/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber shared thanks to Nick3 on BA.

Pours a slightly hazy copper color with a white head and good retention.

Aroma is very Belgian - lots of yeast - as well as sweet malt and candi sugar. Maybe some blueberries.

Flavor is somewhat sweet with pale malt, Candi sugar, some blueberry, earthy notes, and some spice. A little bit of alcohol.

Medium-full bodied with fairly high carbonation.

Drinkability is above average. Pretty good overall, but nothing to write home about.

3.55/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a nice clear dark amber hue with a thin off white head. Lite retention and no lace.

S: Lots of Belgian yeast, light blueberry puree.

T: Simple flavors as well. Belgian yeast and you guessed it subtle blueberry. Light spice mostly clove rounds things out.

M: Medium in body dry finish.

D: An okay beer.

3.63/5  rDev +4%

22 oz bottle poured into two Chimay chalices.

A - Looks like there are two drops of standard red food coloring in a standard light beer. Maybe half a drop of the yellow. Tiny and quickly dissipating head.

S - Not much to smell here. A little bit of spicy yeast and sweet slightly fruity malt.

T &M - I'm enjoying it, but I'm a sucker for Belgian yeast and candi sugar. Both are represented here, and it makes for a rich flavor. Combining with just a hint of blueberry is unique, but there isn't anything else going on here. It's fairly one dimensional. A tasty dimension nonetheless.

D - I kind of feel like I've got sugar stuck to my teeth. It's sweet. It certainly hides the ABV, but half as much sweetness would have been balanced.

2.38/5  rDev -31.8%

A - Burnt orange, clear with a slight haze. Small amount of foam that disappears quickly. The orange color almost looks artificial when held up to the light.

S - Lots of sugary malt on the nose with maybe the faintest possible hint of blueberries. Pretty one-dimensional, maybe some prunes or raisins in there.

T - Belgian yeast with sweet caramel malt. Bordering on cloying. Some fruitiness that I'd attribute to the yeast, but I wouldn't have guessed there was any actual fruit in this beer.

M - Syrupy sweet with medium carbonation. Leaves a slick sweet aftertaste that's not entirely pleasant.

D - Having trouble finishing a tulip of it, much less the whole 22oz bottle. This one is not for me.

This one was a major disappointment.

3.45/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pour - soft, cloudy, almost murky reddish orange color. It's got the appearance of a peach iced tea with a thick, fluffy white head that fades to a thin lacing on top. When held to the light it glows a brilliant orange.

Aroma - the spicy Belgian yeast smell combines with a sweetness that is quite apparent. Reminds me of canned pears and/or applesauce with cinnamon.

Taste - interesting, its a sweet beer that is no denying that. The texture is very soft and smooth. A lot of the spicy Belgian yeast comes through along with some fruit flavors that could be blueberry but again they remind me of canned pears. Carbonation levels seems relatively low as it seems to be missing a crisp finish. Nonetheless, this is a very flavorful beer and if you are a fan of American released Belgian-style ales this one might be worth checking out if you can still find it.

Overall - a tad sweet and a tad too soft for my taste. Its a great beer if you are having a small glass or splitting a bottle with several friends but not the type you'd end up finishing yourself. I wish I could have gotten more of the blueberry flavor, maybe as it warms a bit more that will be more pronounced.

Would I buy more of it? - since its not offered in my area I probably won't be buying any of this, not to mention it was a one-off release which is likely all gone by now.

3.15/5  rDev -9.7%

For a moment, and I mean moment there is a ¼ inch of foam that quickly vanishes. Then there is a tiny ring of foam around the edge of the glass. The foam has a slight purple tone to it. The beer itself is amber with a purple tint, clearly from the blueberries.

Honestly smells like dirty dishwater at first. Then you do get some blueberries and Belgian yeast. (slightly sour & metallic)

Yep, this is brewed with Belgian Yeast. What struck me is that it tasted like a poor man's Troeg's Mad Elf. There is a touch of a honey in the flavor, in fact, much more than any blueberry. Lots of yeast notes and a bit of black pepper. Lots of fruity esters.

Medium bodied with some prickly carbonation. (like a soda)

I think it's ok. What's interesting is that Dank is a perfect description of the beer.

I know it's a one time release and I see no reason to bring it back.

3.82/5  rDev +9.5%

A bottle generously shared by crazeguy.

A: The pour is sort of lifeless and flat looking. The color is a muddled orange-brown color with no head to speak of.

S: The aroma is sweet and slightly tart. The blueberries don't seem all that present, to my disappointment. There are some yeasty and spicy smells, some of the typical "Belgian" aromas.

T: Where this beer was lacking in the appearance and aroma department, it is not in flavor. The blueberries really come through here and provide a nice sweetness and a bit of tartness as well. Overall, the taste is quite fruity and sweet, but I generally expect this from a fruit beer.

M: The body is fairly decent (medium), but the lack of any real carbonation really diminishes the experience.

D: Despite the lackluster mouthfeel, this beer is actually quite drinkable. While it is sweet, I don't find it cloying or sickening (like I often do). I found this beer to be (surprisingly) enjoyable.

3.85/5  rDev +10.3%

22oz bottle received as an extra in a recent trade with Yesac.

A: Clear amber in color, white head that recedes to a thin layer of bubbles, fair amount of carbonation moving through the glass. A few specks of lacing cling to the edges.

S: Belgian yeast profile, spicy, some sugary malty smells underneath, a hint of booze, can't really pull straight up blueberries out of this one but there is an underlying fruitiness. Not too shabby, but a little on the...meh...side.

T: Very sweet up front, definite Belgian yeast esters, sweet and spicy, specialty malts really shine in this one, slightly citrus tang of wheat, and just a few hints of rye as well. Slightly bitter from both the hops and the alcohol. Just a mild underlying sweet berry profile, not overdone and just enough to know its there. Tasty.

M: Medium body, mild carbonation, slight booze heat and a pleasant dryness. Very nice.

D: Not extremely blueberry forward, but that's okay, nice flavors and a really nice balance between all the specialty malts. Pretty nice beer, glad to have gotten a chance to try it.

Thanks Casey!

3.89/5  rDev +11.5%

22oz bottle from RustyDiamond. Not sure about the odd little story on the bottle, it kind of turned my wife off toward this beer, not exactly good marketing in my opinion. There are some descriptive passages though: "a hefty 8% alc/vol Belgian wheat & rye concoction which features a squirt of <sic> fresh organic blueberries from Serenbe farms".

The beer is dark copper color, clear with a very thin film of suds. The aroma is fruity but I don't get blueberries, just esters ala Belgian yeast. The taste is very sweet, a lot of pear and candi sugar, not so much (or any) rye that I can taste. Mostly pear. Full bodied, substantial presence, nice lasting sweetness in the aftertaste but not cloying. Overall good, I do like Sweetwater better than Terrapin as my southern USA large craft brewery.

2.73/5  rDev -21.8%

Freethyhops hooked me up with an unexpected box ... very cool.. this is a pretty big want. Thanks Riley.

Poured into my Delirium goblet... no real head despite a fairly vigorous pour... looks pretty flat... brew is clear orange.

Smell is pretty close to a German Hefe... more banana than what can only be described as hints of blueberry, that really I would only pick out because the label tells me they're used.

Yep... the brew is almost completely flat... only a subtle feel of carbonation when it hits your tongue... taste is very sweet... more berry flavor than the nose, but it is still really light... the banana is still the heavy hitter on the palate... a little bit of clove too.

Ehh.... only ehhh... This would certainly garner a higher score from me across the board had there been adequate carbonation... but no bubbles really hurt it in my mind. The expected fruitiness is nearly nonexistent and really hard to pick out.

Thanks again Riley... but this is no where near the best Sweetwater beer I've had.

3.5/3/2.5/2/3

3.4/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Bottle courtesy of bhalter8. Thanks Ben!

It pours a slightly hazy reddish amber with a small head of foam but some good lacing.

The smell is fruity and grainy and bready. I see the mention of blueberries on the label and I sense some light tartness from it but most notes come from bananas.

The taste has a fairly nice fruit profile with some blueberry sweetness and a light tartness but I'm tasting more bananas than it, and most of the sweet is very candy sugar-like. In the finish, I pick up cloves and more sweet tones. To be honest, I was hoping for more from the blueberries and that just didn't happen.

Medium bodied, the carbonation is on the light side though there's a fizzy feeling during the swallow.

Drinkability? This is a little too sweet forward and the alcohol does pop in at times and gives my throat some warming. 1 bottle at a sitting is the way to go and that bottle is lasting pretty long so it isn't all that drinkable for me.

to view more.