Sweetwater Dank Tank Big Ol' Belgian Blue Balls - SweetWater Brewing Company

Sweetwater Dank Tank Big Ol' Belgian Blue BallsSweetwater Dank Tank Big Ol' Belgian Blue Balls

good

SweetWater Brewing Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-01-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by RustyDiamond:
RustyDiamond

4.1/5  rDev +17.8%

Poured into a Duvel tulip.
Nice hues of red, lavender & peach with a nice degree of clarity. Thick frothy active head, cream colored. Aroma of lavender, chamoile, whole blueberries.
Spicy, bready up front. Dry, subtle blueberry flavor in the middle. Nicely carbonated, warm mouthfeel.
Fruity hop taste in the middle back with a hint of wild mushrooms. Not syrupy blueberry, more of a full wild blueberry flavor. Good peppery spice in the back of the throat.
Very easy drinking with less blueberry than what I was expecting. This drinks like a very refined Belgian-style ale, with just a hint of fruit. Very interesting and challenging brew, well done.

09-10-2009 19:33:05 | More by RustyDiamond

GABrew

07-06-2013 00:27:33 | More by GABrew
portia99

3.48/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle that has been in the cellar for a long, long time. Poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Slight, blue-ish tint to an otherwise reddish amber body. A surprising finger of slightly fizzy, mostly foamy head that lingers for a minute and falls leaving a thick collar around the edge of the glass.

S - I'm somewhat shocked that there is still a noticeable blueberry presence. A bit fruity overall with some with the blueberry actually standing up towards the front of the aroma profile - pretty good considering the age of the bottle and the difficulty in getting blueberries to create much aroma in the first place. Also picking up a slight tartness, some wheat and cereal grain maltiness. So far, so good.

T - Blueberries survive into the flavor as well. Noticeable rye graininess and spicy aspects. Alcohol is very noticeable as well giving some warmth on the swallow. More than a little bit of oxidation, which is well expected for a bottle with this many years on it - detracts, but doesn't kill it completely. Lingering caramelly malt flavor on the finish.

M - Lighter side of medium bodied with a mid-level, somewhat foamy carbonation. Oxidation, yeast esters, fruit fading to an earthy caramelly finish.

O - Held up better than I expected but the oxidation is heavy and really affects the overall impression. Blueberries were amazing prominant in the nose and flavor still.

07-03-2013 00:10:06 | More by portia99
t0rin0

02-26-2013 02:05:54 | More by t0rin0
ygtbsm94

2.75/5  rDev -21%

04-24-2012 07:23:13 | More by ygtbsm94
Kadonny

3.18/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a snifter glass. This bottle has been sitting in my basement for a few years, so I'll take that into account when reviewing.

A: Great looking beer. The color is a rose/golden color with a nice one finger off white head with hints of red. I love the looks of this.

S: Sweetness is huge with a big nose of Belgian yeast. Fruit mixes with the candy sweetness and the yeast for a funky smell.

T: Sweet fruit with apple, pear, blueberry, peach and sugar sweetness. The yeast gives it the Belgian twang but the sweetness wins out over everything. Finish is sweet and cloying. I'm not getting much alcohol.

M: Medium which is surprising. Sweet, sticky and cloying.

O: Not a beer for me, but I also realize I probably let it sit too long. I was just not digging it.

Overall I couldn't finish the bottle. I realize it probably sat in my basement too long, but either way I was not digging it. I still have a bottle of the Dank Tank BW to try, hope that one is a bit better.

04-16-2012 15:29:50 | More by Kadonny

11-14-2011 21:31:10 | More by jophish17
JAXSON

2.23/5  rDev -35.9%

2009 rate.

Bottle, I believe this was from Grant. Thanks dude! Pours a clear strawberry amber with a soapy white head. Belgian yeast and some kind of berry syrup fill the nose. Interesting but not altogether appealing. Highly spritzy mouth, not so cloying as I feared, quite focused on that Belgian yeast. Somewhat offensive flavor profile. This is one I can't drink a whole lot of unfortunately. Finish is long, medicinal blueberry syrup, yeast, a touch of hops. Not my thing.

12-09-2010 02:52:59 | More by JAXSON
nerdrocker101

2.83/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle. Pours a clear gold, orange with a small bubbly head. The blueberries aren't overwhelming which I find to be a relieve. However, it's pretty much what I expected to be. More or less a bigger version of the Blue

Review from tasting notes on Sep 28, 2009.

08-05-2010 19:18:34 | More by nerdrocker101
axeman9182

3.28/5  rDev -5.7%

The beer pours a nice color, caught between red and pink (though much closer to red). i double checked the label, and it definitely says "Belgian wheat", and as such the one finger white crown that has no staying power and leaves no lace is a disappointment. The nose is of blueberries and fruit juice (I want to say apple juice, but that's not quite right), with a faint smell of alcohol present as well. The taste follows suit, but the rye mentioned on the bottle finally makes an appearance. The rye influence was a pleasant surprise, I'm not a big fan of beers that go heavy on rye, but this beer did it subtly and it added a nice spiciness in the background. BOBBB has a nice smoothness to it, courtesy of the wheat, and surprisingly has a decent amount of carbonation given the appearance. The drinkability suffers from something that I didn't touch on above, but the alcohol is way too present in this beer, especially for one that's only 8%. I think with a little refinement this could be a pretty good beer, but for now it's just average all things considered.

06-05-2010 00:38:20 | More by axeman9182
jeddsp

4.13/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Looks like a lot of the reviews of this beer come from drinking out of a bottle. I am lucky enough to live in Atl and get Sweetwater pretty much wherever I go. On draft this beer is awesome. Obviously has a lot of fruit smell to it and on drinking you can definitely the blueberries, but I think it is paired really well with some good hoppiness. Would drink this ber on draft anytime...and recommend you try it on draft (although it is gone by now..as SW has moved onto 2 more dank tanks since this one)

05-13-2010 22:10:16 | More by jeddsp
mklinger

4.18/5  rDev +20.1%

Poured from a bomber into a Dogfish Head snifter. Poured a slightly purple amber; a very pale beer with a bit of blueberry purple. Very little very white head developed that dissipated quickly. Somewhat cloudy appearance.

Very bready sweet aroma. Just a hint of Belgian fruit flavors. Fairly typical Belgian aromas with a bit of extra fruity sweetness. Quite nice.

Complex flavor. Dominated by Belgian flavors. This would be very much like a sweeter Belgian Golden Strong but with the blueberry addition. Sweetness & fruit hits first followed by cloves and tart apples and other Belgian phenols and esters. A nice bit of hop bitterness at the end to balance things out.

Highly carbonated and a slightly thick mouthfeel. This is a surprisingly good, really pleasant Belgian with just a hint of blueberry. This beer was 9 months old when tasted -- I wish I would have bought a couple more -- very nice beer.

05-07-2010 23:26:56 | More by mklinger
mikesgroove

3.5/5  rDev +0.6%

The last of the series I needed to try, and the one I was most afraid of to be honest, lol. I decided to open this one up with my mother in law the other night and complete the run through the southern brews. Served chilled and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 05/02/2010.

The pour was decent, a odd golden amber color. Small head, fades quickly and leaves behind almost no lacing at all. Some carbonation could be seen coming up from the bottom, but nothing really bowling me over here in any way. Still decent though, Initial aroma is light berries, hints of grass and light grain, a touch of cereal as well. Warming really starts to bring out a ton of fruit notes now though and the flavor really starts to pick up a good bit. Nice light blueberries and light Belgian yeast, hints of light pears now as well. Light seems to be the theme here is nothing is really dominating in any way. Still though I think it has its purpose and the light body and feel lended it self to being nicely drinkable.

Overall I don't know about this one. On one hand it is very drinkable and easy to sip, and on the other rather light and not terribly inspiring. Oh well, you cannot have it both ways.

05-05-2010 00:22:13 | More by mikesgroove
wyattshotmaker

3.63/5  rDev +4.3%

poured into a tulip,nice slightly hazy orange color.nose is slightly medicinal, bit of sweetness. big banana/clove flavor upfront, wheat in the middle.bit of blueberry skins in the middle,finishes with a bit of a hot phenolic note. the rye really sits on the tongue in the finish with a bit of blueberry,not in a bad way.

medium bodied.decent.worth trying if you're into belgians in anyway/shape/form.

05-01-2010 01:45:05 | More by wyattshotmaker
urwithdave

2.42/5  rDev -30.5%

Gtreid shared this one with me.

A- golden in color. Little head that quickly fades. No lace left.

A- big willie wonka blueberries and a sweet smelling factor that I'm thinking is almost honey like. Smells very yummy.

T- the blueberries aren't wonka like at all. It almost tasted like artificial flavoring. It almost tastes like a wine cooler that I use to steal from my moms fridge when I was a kid. Way to sweet.liquid cotton candy. I need to brush my teeth just from reviewing my notes on this.

M- like a thin sugary syrup. Makes my teeth scream.

D- no tnx.

04-07-2010 17:03:46 | More by urwithdave
cavedave

3.3/5  rDev -5.2%

Even more thanks to mrandypandy, another Southern gem!

It pours the look of a peach into my Unibroue tulip, it's the right color, and its cloudiness gives the look of peach fuzz. A finger of white foam relaxes to a generous skim, finally floating islands. Nice.

Blueberry up front in the smell, but matched by yeasty esters of pear, apple for a fruity tart, with a caramely undernote sweetening the deal to make a fruity, luscious, medium-strength bouquet. The beer's best feature.

I don't like fruit beer, I'm trying this because it's a Dank Tank, and the other two DT styles I tried were magnificent. First sip the blueberries were strong, and it tasted like a sparkling fruit wine. Uh oh, another fruit beer I won't like. It was too cold (50 deg.), it turns out. As it warms this beer turns better, but no where near the quality of the other DT's. The fruity yeast esters usher the blueberry into a sip full of sweet, tart, and floral, but as the sweet subsides, the tart really takes on a strange aftertaste. It does pick up a bit of herbal bitter, but the finish is overly sweet.

Mouthfeel is not bad, nice light feel to it, carb. is o'kay, but the finish is really disappointing, a cloying mess.

Drinkability is o'kay, had little trouble finishing this. I don't know what else to add here.

Impression: Glad I tried it, proves even Sweetwater can't hit all home runs

03-18-2010 22:17:33 | More by cavedave
Gtreid

2.08/5  rDev -40.2%

22 oz. bomber split with urwithdave. This one was part of the BA Bowling winning hauls.

A: Dark copper, orange color. The pour leaves a very small off white head that dosen't leave much lace.

A: Wow, sugar all the way. Sweet berries, I'm guessing they are the blueberries. Probably some honey in there as well.

T: Man, this was a sweet beer. I didn't think the flavors went well at all. The sweetness was just overbearing. I got a small Belgian influence, but just couldn't get by the sugar in the brew.

M: Thick and syurpy. Very little carbonation.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is very poor. Overall, this beer didn't do it for me at all. Way too sweet, way too syrupy, way too many berries. These guys have made much better beer. Will not try again. Skal.

03-07-2010 13:47:59 | More by Gtreid
billab914

2.1/5  rDev -39.7%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Southern Tier tulip glass. Pours a slightly reddish amber color with a very thin white lacing on top. The head faded pretty quickly and left very little lacing on the glass.

Aroma is very sweet and strong with sugar. It also has some Belgian yeast and maybe some faint blueberries. It's really hard to get past anything except the sugary sweetness.

The taste is unfortunately a lot like the nose, overwhelming sweetness. I can taste a little more blueberry flavor but overall it's mostly a sugary and sweet malt taste. it's definitely too much sweetness for me with nothing really interesting to redeem it.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is not good, I'm not sure I can even drink much more if it. I really didn't enjoy this beer, it tasted like a sugary mess to me with very little blueberry, which was disappointing.

03-07-2010 04:08:38 | More by billab914
becktone

3.8/5  rDev +9.2%

From notes 1-16-10

Eye: Orange in color and clear with some red hues. Head is off white with what seems to be blueish tint, maybe its just me though knowing that there are blueberries in here. Head is a medium-thick blanket over the top of the beer. Looks good enough.

Nose: Overall pretty weak aroma. Belgian tripelish with some blueberries underneath. Aroma is very soft. Wheat does come through quite easily, rye isn't really noticeable. The aroma isn't bad, but I'd like something stronger a bit more potent.

Tongue: Right away blueberries on the soft palate. Very nice belgian pale which is the whole beer. Lots of that kinda light candied, butterscotch type of deal. Not like Duvel at all, more like Grimbergen Blonde, Leffe, or Affligem. Blueberry is hinted at, its barely there. The way it affects the beer is hard to describe. Blueberry is right on the tip of the tongue, once the beverage passes the tip and moves on to the middle and back of the tongue the blueberry is dimisnished. Small amounts of diacetyl. Soft flavor from the wheat and some rye charcter is picked up on as well, some dryness and hints at spiciness. Alcohol is well hidden. Some blueberry lingers on the back of the throat after its swallowed.

Feel and Drinkability: This is quite a dry beer, but easy to drink. Body is light and smooth, carbonation itself is higher and works well with the style. This is one I'll enjoy the rest of but I don't think that its one I'd seek out or readily buy now that I've tried it. Its not bad, but, for me, there would be no reason to come back to this beer. Worth trying but I see no reason why I'd come back to it even if it were available where I live. I am very glad that I got to try it though.

02-21-2010 20:40:43 | More by becktone