Sweetwater Dank Tank BSP Quad Ale - SweetWater Brewing Company

Sweetwater Dank Tank BSP Quad AleSweetwater Dank Tank BSP Quad Ale

SweetWater Brewing Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.00% ABV

(Beer added by: ugaterrapin on 02-20-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sweetwater Dank Tank BSP Quad Ale Alström Bros
4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Nice to finally try one of the Dank Tank series, this pours a really dark brown, with a nice tan head that retains as well as you could expect for a beer of this magnitude. The aroma has a big dark fruit presence upfront (dates, figs, blueberries), along with candy sugar, spicy phenols and some alcohol. The taste is similar to the aroma, with dark fruits dominating initially (plums, blackberries, cherries and blueberries), along with some nice candy sugar sweetness, spicy phenols, and a big alcohol kick. The mouthfeel is full and rich, and drinkability is good for the style. Overall a pretty solid attempt at a Quad, not mindblowing but more than respectable.

silver0rlead, Mar 23, 2010

EasyReader, Nov 16, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

Sampled this at Savor 2010. Poured a reddish-brown hue, with a thin sepia-like head, average retention, and decent lacing. Complex mix of dry cocoa powder, earthy tones, peppery spice, and dark fruit in the nose. The taste was a little more chocolatey than expected at first, but then evolved to reveal more earthy, spicy, and dark fruit tones, and then finished on a semi-dry spicy note. Very nice flavor progression paired well with the smooth, non-carbonated body. A little thinner than expected, but still medium-bodied. A nice session Quad, if such a thing exists.

donniecuffs, Aug 03, 2010

kkrez, Nov 14, 2011

GeezLynn, Dec 09, 2012

jucifer1818, Apr 12, 2013
3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured from a 22oz.

Opened and poured kind of slowly and still got a 4+ finger head, which died down after about 2 minutes. Pours a very dark ruby color that can only be seen when held up to light. The head retention is pretty good, with decent lacing. Smells like malt, alcohol and some dark fruits including plum, but mostly malts. Taste is malty upfront, with some slight banana in the middle and some raisins and tobacco in the end. Mouthfeel is good, a bit chewy and a lot of carbonation, but not too much much carb for this style. Drinkability, hmmm... If I split a bomber with 2 other people this would be high, but 1 bomber for 1 person, I would say low, I couldn't do more than 1 by myself. Overall, a really great brew that I would love to have/trade for again!

Lukafer, Jul 01, 2010

dowen44, Dec 21, 2011

I am slugging back this formidable brew as I sit here and take er easy.

A - Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours smokey garnet with a foamy ecru head that sticks to the glass as it is consumed.

S - Rich malty quadtastic. Sugary and a tad smokey.

T - Roasted malts, bunt wood, tofee. Alcohol burn in the aftertaste

M - Medium bodied, a little sticky.

HeyItsChili, Apr 08, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

22oz bottle from Hop City in Atlanta.

A- Pours a murky brown/plum. Very hazy. Whispy white head is reduced to a ring as the beer progresses. Good carbonation.
S- Dark belgian fruits, plums, figs, grapes.
T- Nice belgian dark fruit sweetness, but not too sweet. Raisins, plums. Hint of tobacco.
M- Medium to heavy body that seems to increase as the beer warms. The alcohol bite does as well.
D- A sipper, but drinkable. I finished the bottle by myself, but next time would rather split it.

Overall - Surprisingly good, probably my second favorite of the Sweetwater "Dank Tank" series (next to the DP Barleywine). Great, especially for the price. Recommended.

mrandypandy, Mar 16, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a dark brown/mahoganny color with a decent cream head. Light lacing. Nose and taste are sweet with notes of raisin, figs, brown sugar and "winter spices." I also felt like I caught some sort of a cocoa character, but maybe my mind was playing tricks on me. Mouthfeel has appropriate carbonation...maybe just a tad more than I would prefer, but hardly an issue either way. Full bodied and slick.

This is a very tasty brew, and one of the better American imitations of the style that I've had to date. It has an enjoyable sweet taste, but it felt like it's missing a little something in the flavor profile - it's very good, but a little something extra could have made it tremendous.

The alcohol is very well hidden - I didn't find it boozy in the least.

Mavajo, Feb 23, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Got this beer at the amazing Beast of The EAST tasting during the Charlotte Craft Beer Week.
Pours a mild black body with an amber head. Not what I expected for the style
Smell is full of rich belgian sweet malts. Lots of dark caramel, subtle spicey hops and some booze as well.
Taste is bright and rich with crisp belgian malt and balanced hop lacing throughout the taste. A lite chocolate mouth punch, but it's still very light and crisp.
Very easy to drink and great taste for the style

chaz410, Mar 21, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -6.1%

This beer pours a murky brown with a tinge of orange and very little head from ma somewhat heavy pour. Carbonation looks very present but moderate in speed. The smell is sugary malt with a slight spice edge and with a bit of orange scent and dark fruits. The aroma is restrained, not too scented.

Glug glug glug

The taste is very sweet, brown sugar with coriander, pitted fruit with cake, many sweet flavors in this with less heat than expected. Complex malt underlies and supports the sugary top flavors. I detect wheat malt among many others. Over all this is a great Quad compared to many I've had in its drinkability. The flavor is overall less Belgian than many while retaining many of the positive qualities.

Thur123, Sep 17, 2010

michaeljstraub, Mar 15, 2013

Thanks to dmunroe for throwing this in as an extra (1 of many). Poured into my ccb snifter.

A- Pours dark brown in color. A off brown head, 2 inches worth. recedes and leaves crazy lacing.

S- Big malts, cotton candy, apples and dark fruits. Nutmeg and toffee.

T- Sweet malts. It almost tastes kind of like a candied apple. There is a strong presence of plums and spices.Alcohol is presnt, however, not overbearing.

M- Kind of thick in a thin way if that makes any sense. There is a nice sweet finish.

D- Pretty good!! The bomber was split between 2 of us and I easily could've drank the whole thing by myself.

urwithdave, Apr 19, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

Very excited, I get to try my first American made Quad! Big thanks to Doodler, you the man.

Pours a dark brown color with some amber highlights around the edge of the glass. Thick creamy lacing all over the sides of my La Trappe Chalice.

Smell is of figs, dried fruit, rum, banana, raisins maybe some cinnamon, caramel.

Delicious taste. Taste reminds me of Rochefort 10 without the medicinal flavors. Caramel, molasses, figs, raisins, some spicy cinnamon like notes. Just a touch of booze. A very full bodied chewy beer that can easily hold its own among the top Belgian Quads. A whole bomber is a bit much for one person, you could easily split between two people.

Finish is slightly dry and a bit hoppy (spicy). Flavors from the beer linger on your tongue and around you lips for a long time, encouraging anther drink. I'm really enjoying this one and again thanks goes out to a great trader, Doodler!

weissbierdrinker, Jul 16, 2010
4.08/5  rDev 0%

Picked up a bottle from Hop City, chilled, and served in a Chimay glass

A- Subtle head with light pour, full mildly-tan head when poured heavy and settles quickly. A clear, deep, ruby color shines through the deep amber when held up to the light. Much clearer than I've seen in most quads.

S- Strongly arromatic: Dark fruits (figs and prunes), mildy nutty(very mildly). Not too much alcohol on the nose, quite different from the Rochefort 10 I had last night.

T- Enjoyably sweet like a California prune. Malty sugar hits first, followed my a complex, yet not overwhelming, spice

M- Smooth, almost creamy texture. Hit heavy on the tongue, and finishs easy.

D- Drink now! I'm not sure how this one will age. 11% ABV is hardly noticeable and much aging may not improve this one. Just the same, I'll likely stick a few bottles in the cellar just to find out.

Overall: I recommend trying this and will purchase more.

jmhart, Apr 06, 2010
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

22oz btl courtesy of gford217. Thanks! Poured into Sierra 30th snifter.

A: Cool painted bottle. Pours a murky deep mahogany. Somewhat turbid. Looks near black in one light and closer to crimson in another. Head is not as impressive as it's Belgian counterparts. About 2 fingers worth that dissipates to a thin ring. Laces nicely.

S: Pleasant fruity, estery scents. Banana and clove aromas similar to those found in a hefeweizen. Lots of ripe dark fruit. Cherries, plum, maybe black currant. Overall the aroma is subdued. Sweet with just a hint of alcohol.

T: Much more impressive than smell. Booze soaked fruit. Maraschino cherries. A little bit of cranberry tartness and then a wave of big, bold flavors. Vanilla bean, carmel, and bitter chocolate vie for position. Oak and tobacco make an appearance. Nondescript nuttiness. Maybe a hint of leather. Finishes with a familiar yeasty flavor...reminds me very much of Chimay Grande Reserve, which is high praise. Evolves quite nicely as it warms. Overall I found this to be quite complex and as usual, my palate and vocabulary aren't really up to the task of defining everything that I'm tasting.

M: Carbonation is just about right. Warming from the alcohol. The mouthfeel is creamy and medium to full bodied.

D: For the style this is pretty drinkable. ABV is up there, but nothing else about this beer would prevent me from continuing to drink it.

I'm not really well versed in the Quad style, but I've been trying some here and there so that I have something to compare to when I decide to crack my first Westy 12. I really enjoyed this beer. The only other offering I've had from SweetWater was the Happy Ending and that was very good as well. I wouldn't go to great lengths to track this one down but it is definitely worth a try.

AdamGarcia, May 28, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

received in a BIF trade. Touted as one of the best domestic Quads.

Bottle marketing language is confusing as to whether it's a blonde or a dark ale. I mean - it says Quad but then it lingers on some wacky Blonde narrative... Turns out it's a standard Quad. Pours a nice dark amber honey color.

Aroma is typical Belgian with maybe some added honey tones. Slight Earthy, yeasty, candied fruit (you've read as many of these as I have) Substantial head from a hard pour.

Taste is all that you'd expect. Medium candied fruits, Belgian yeast, champagne, malt - nothing special. Lots of alcoholic vapor. A little bit hoppy for the style.

Not bad but nothing that Trois Pistoles or Ichor doesn't also deliver. If I could get this locally waaay cheaper than say - Rochefort 10 - I'd drink it. But my guess is that it's a $14 bomber which makes it - just okay by domestic quad standards.

Don't get me wrong - impressive for GA. And good if you like ticking quads or you live in GA and can get it cheap. Otherwise - don't bother putting it on your list.

UPDATE: Couple clarifications: I was joking about 'okay for GA' - we don't have any better quads in PA. And another BA'er informed me that this was $5.50 when it was available (which it no longer is apparently) So first off - that's a phenomenal price for a bomber of almost anything. 2ndly - too bad it's not available more regularly, which puts the others I mentioned right back on top.

radioscooter, May 09, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

Clear, dark brown with light lacing. The taste was sweet as any Quad would have, but with a wild cherry flavor. Very malty aftertaste that will stay in your mouth with a cherry finish. The eleven percent is hidden well, but I couldn't drink more than one glass.

-Bye

jbone78, Mar 12, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

I first enjoyed this on tap at The Brick Store Pub. This review is from my 4th bottle at home.

Poured into a snifter. Color is deep brown with a reddish tint. Nice amount of head. Smell is sweet, brown sugary, and yeasty.

Taste is excellent. Dark sweet malts, brown sugar, caramel well proportioned. Nothing too strong. Spicy, dry finish. Alcohol is evident, but not 11% evident. It's pretty well masked. Some quads I have had were too sweet, or too alcoholic, or too fruity for my tastes, but this one has an excellent combination of flavors all kept in check.

Drinkability is very good!

This is my favorite American made Quad. I think it can also hold its own against some of the Belgian/Trappist Quads out there. I hope there's enough distribution available for this one to get the notoriety it deserves! I wouldn't be surprised to see Dank Tank BSP end up on the Top Ten Quads in the World on this site.

This one really deserves to be brewed more than once!

Now, if I could just figure out what local pub the fellas at Sweetwater collaborated with to make "Dank Tank BSP?"

Deus1138, Mar 13, 2010

Excellent brew!! The appearance is very dark in which you cant see through with a beautiful head that sticks around almost through the whole beer. The smell is very grabbing with a nice smell of malt and a very fruity hops sent! The taste is great you think a beer of this strength would be a little much but it is suprisingly smooth. The mouthfeel is amazing almost non existant which makes for a 110% drinkability. Way to represent Georgia!!! Please go to your nearest spirit shop and try to find this beer you will not be upset!!

kdawg105, Mar 16, 2010

jcone17, Dec 09, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

22oz bottle poured into a chalice.

Dark brown in color with a touch of red. Head is nice and tan, and lasts for a while.

Aroma is very syrupy.

And so is the taste. I wish this one were a bit dryer. Not bad overall, though. The sweetness is such that you almost don't even notice the hops.

Decent enough.