Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Sweetwater Dank Tank BSP Quad Ale - SweetWater Brewing Company

Sweetwater Dank Tank BSP Quad AleSweetwater Dank Tank BSP Quad Ale

SweetWater Brewing Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: ugaterrapin on 02-20-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sweetwater Dank Tank BSP Quad Ale Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

received in a BIF trade. Touted as one of the best domestic Quads.

Bottle marketing language is confusing as to whether it's a blonde or a dark ale. I mean - it says Quad but then it lingers on some wacky Blonde narrative... Turns out it's a standard Quad. Pours a nice dark amber honey color.

Aroma is typical Belgian with maybe some added honey tones. Slight Earthy, yeasty, candied fruit (you've read as many of these as I have) Substantial head from a hard pour.

Taste is all that you'd expect. Medium candied fruits, Belgian yeast, champagne, malt - nothing special. Lots of alcoholic vapor. A little bit hoppy for the style.

Not bad but nothing that Trois Pistoles or Ichor doesn't also deliver. If I could get this locally waaay cheaper than say - Rochefort 10 - I'd drink it. But my guess is that it's a $14 bomber which makes it - just okay by domestic quad standards.

Don't get me wrong - impressive for GA. And good if you like ticking quads or you live in GA and can get it cheap. Otherwise - don't bother putting it on your list.

UPDATE: Couple clarifications: I was joking about 'okay for GA' - we don't have any better quads in PA. And another BA'er informed me that this was $5.50 when it was available (which it no longer is apparently) So first off - that's a phenomenal price for a bomber of almost anything. 2ndly - too bad it's not available more regularly, which puts the others I mentioned right back on top.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Clear, dark brown with light lacing. The taste was sweet as any Quad would have, but with a wild cherry flavor. Very malty aftertaste that will stay in your mouth with a cherry finish. The eleven percent is hidden well, but I couldn't drink more than one glass.

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

I first enjoyed this on tap at The Brick Store Pub. This review is from my 4th bottle at home.

Poured into a snifter. Color is deep brown with a reddish tint. Nice amount of head. Smell is sweet, brown sugary, and yeasty.

Taste is excellent. Dark sweet malts, brown sugar, caramel well proportioned. Nothing too strong. Spicy, dry finish. Alcohol is evident, but not 11% evident. It's pretty well masked. Some quads I have had were too sweet, or too alcoholic, or too fruity for my tastes, but this one has an excellent combination of flavors all kept in check.

Drinkability is very good!

This is my favorite American made Quad. I think it can also hold its own against some of the Belgian/Trappist Quads out there. I hope there's enough distribution available for this one to get the notoriety it deserves! I wouldn't be surprised to see Dank Tank BSP end up on the Top Ten Quads in the World on this site.

This one really deserves to be brewed more than once!

Now, if I could just figure out what local pub the fellas at Sweetwater collaborated with to make "Dank Tank BSP?"

Excellent brew!! The appearance is very dark in which you cant see through with a beautiful head that sticks around almost through the whole beer. The smell is very grabbing with a nice smell of malt and a very fruity hops sent! The taste is great you think a beer of this strength would be a little much but it is suprisingly smooth. The mouthfeel is amazing almost non existant which makes for a 110% drinkability. Way to represent Georgia!!! Please go to your nearest spirit shop and try to find this beer you will not be upset!!

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

22oz bottle poured into a chalice.

Dark brown in color with a touch of red. Head is nice and tan, and lasts for a while.

Aroma is very syrupy.

And so is the taste. I wish this one were a bit dryer. Not bad overall, though. The sweetness is such that you almost don't even notice the hops.

Decent enough.

3.69/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

It poured a nearly opaque deep dark brown color. About about half finger of light tan head didn't hang around too long. It dissipated to leave a slight amount of lacing. It has a very complex rich smell. There are notes of dark fruit mixed in with some sugary smells. The aroma makes me very intrigued about what is next. The taste steadily increases. It starts out fairly light then grows into taste of dark fruit and malts combined with a warming effect. I am assuming the warmth is from the alcohol, but it masks the alcohol well in terms of flavor. The biggest surprise is how thin the mouthfeel is on this beer. I was expecting a little more body. Overall a decent beer. Not one I am going to run back to, but I love the whole concept of the Dank Tank Series and definitely respect this beer. I am not the biggest Belgian fan so my personal preferences may bring down the score on this one.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Drank this beer on Friday night out of the bottle, not as preferable as off tap, but had to do. Pours dark, the head was a little thin, but that to me was the worst part of this beer. For the ABV which is 11% this beer went down very VERY easy. Dangerous, but a great problem to have. Another great offering from the fellas over at Sweet Water.

3.97/5  rDev -2.2%

A- Pours a cloudy dark brown with thin head that quickly recedes. Leaves the tiniest ring of carbonation around the trusty Duck-Rabbit snifter

S- Raisins, cinnamon and pumpkin spice, some fruity alcoholic notes, bready,malty begian-esque notes.

T- Sweet fruity candy and a big malty alcoholic flavor. Hints of charred oak or woody flavor, raisin and dark fruit flavors abound. Bready ending with a somewhat spicy twinge on the

M- Thick and creamy, goes down nicely and can feel the warmth from the akkahol. Maybe a tad bit too much carbonation

D- Pretty drinkable considering I finished the bottle by myself. I wouldn't recommend much in the way of physical activity afterwards though.

4.27/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Color is a terracotta brown with a beige 1/2 finger width head that fades to a frothy film after a couple of minutes.

S - First a fruity and brown sugar aroma that has a warming quality aobut it. A second whiff offers the characteristic "dark fruits" - dried figs, dried raisin, dates. A third and fourth whiff locates a complex and crisp malty aroma. I just love the aroma of a good dark Belgian style Ale! A whiff after writing my thoughts on "Taste" and "Mouthfeel" renders that sticky caramel with notes of apple, pear, cherry, and clove.

T & M - Full flavored, medium bodied, creamy texture with an emerging warming sensation that begins and lasts long after you swallow this down. The complex malt flavor strikes first. There seems a nice complex blend of the dried fruits and something like an Asian pear. Spicy notes - clove and allspice. I'm also getting a mild but noticeable licorice notes. The finish is like that bitter aftertaste left by dark chocolate. Not a very smooth finish.

D - The creamy texture and the flavor makes this very drinkable but the finish slows things down.

I found limited release quad at my local package store. I bought one last Friday. After trying it, I bought four more on Monday. Today, Wednesday, I bought the last two on the shelf. The price point is awsome - 5.99. It comes close to some of the other Quads and Dubbels. I am so happy I have five more of these in my cupboard.

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

I shared a pint of this with some friends at Stillwater Pub, and it really hit the spot. The head was thin, and the portion was enormous. The rich dark belgian color was true to style, and the sweetness was not over powering. I think it's really cool that the Brick Store Pub can get in on that kind of thing. Community is a great attribute of the beer world. This beer went down a little too easily for it's strength in alcohol. Danger zone. Another achievement for Sweetwater.

4.64/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured this into a Westmalle goblet. It shows as a deep red/brown color with a light creamy head. The head stays around and spreads itself unevenly across the surface of the beer.

Smells particularly strong. However, the booze is offset by a number of fruits - they vie for contention but I am not getting dominant odors from one in particular. Lots of brown sugar and tons of lighter spices to round the beer out.

Fruits and malt disguise whatever alcohol is lurking in this monster. At 11% that is no easy task. The brown sugar and other spices keep it well balanced.

Mouthfeel is great.

Drinkability is exceptional for a beer this high in alcohol. If I had bought more than one bottle, I could see myself losing track of my intake very easily.

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%

A: pours a dark brown,almost black with ruby hues across the brew
S: a strong mixture of dark fruits(plums,figs) & alcohol
T: slight chocolate followed by those figs & dates with the warm alcohol following it up
M: feel is exactly what I'm looking for out of a quad. Not to heavy or sweet,just subtle carbonation to compliment the earthy tones of this brew.
D: other than the 11% on the side of this bottle,everything else leads me to believe I could drink 2, maybe 3 of these

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Have had this both in 22 oz bottle and at the brewery on tap. Both taste very similar so all the tasting notes apply to both.

Pours a nice deep brown with hints of read. You can get head off the pour but it dissipates almost immediately because of the high ABV. At 11%, this guy is a monster.

Nose is rich. I can't identify any particular fruits, but it's very sweet and caramel, but there are also strong notes of alcohol because of its content. It's a Belgian style, so expect some spices.

Taste is amazing. Brown sugar is very prominent, there are dark fruit notes, and a heaping portion of malt and spices. Normally a beer with this high ABV would be strong tasting, but this one is not at all strong tasting. Spices are wonderful, it's very well balanced. Absolutely a wonderful beer.

It's very drinkable. It's strong, but the flavors make it drinkable. The mouthfeel is part of this: it's so syrupy that you can't help but enjoy it over and over again. I spent 4 tickets on this beer at my last Sweetwater tour and it was absolutely worth it. Definitely one of the best Sweetwater brews that I've had.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last