Sweetwater Sch'Wheat - SweetWater Brewing Company

Georgia, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: elgiacomo on 03-21-2010

1.5/5  rDev -56.6%

Chilled bottle into a glass. A generous extra from jophish17. Thanks Joe!

A: Pours a slightly hazy straw-apricot body with a finger of short-lived, off-white head. No lace.

S: Toast / grain. Kind of a light baked bread aroma with some yeast. I don't get much in the way of hops, or even much complexity.

T: I thought I had accidentally poured water into my beer glass upon trying this. The flavor is, at best, mild. If I were being generous, I'd say it is a simple delivery of toasted malt and *possibly* citrus hops with a strange, artificial sweetness to it. If I were being brutally honest, I'd say this is a macro substitute to appeal to the non-daring craft drinker.

M: Light-bodied, weak and watery flavor. Low carbonation.

D: An utter failure on all fronts.

2.06/5  rDev -40.5%

Good soapy head but body is very milky with tons of floaties. Coloring is very weak yellow and has that macro feel to it. Smell is faint sweetness and I am only picking up a bit of the wheat. Smell is very much lacking. Taste is quite sour and very weak. No aftertaste at all. Ho hum. Carbonation is a bit thin and this beer tastes weak in my mouth. Well you know the rule of thumb is that one beer out of a mixed pack is going to suck. This is the black sheep.

2.46/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pale yellow color with significant haziness, and strings of carbonation bubbles rising to the top. Bright white head - not very thick and disappears almost immediately. To be honest, this thing looks a lot like a light American Adjunct, but more haze. Strong wheat aroma with a helping of citrusy lime. Decent nose. Taste is very lackluster - the wheat is there...and a slight hint of hops with cirtus/lime. All in all though, the taste is weak. My chick had a sip of it and said "It tastes like water!" My thoughts were along similar lines - wheaty water. Mouthfeel is thin with heavy carbonation. Can't help but think of Budweiser as I drink it.

In sum, disappointment. But I've started to expect that from Sweetwater. C'mon Sweetwater, what are you guys doing? You have it in you to make top notch brews - do you just not care?

I will say though that this is refreshing and easy to drink. But so is water, and that's a lot cheaper.

2.53/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

SweetWater Sch'Wheat 12oz into pint. Pours a shade darker than straw with a fizzy white 1/8" head that dissipates immediately. Smells of light malts with a very subtle wheat character, while a minuscule hop presence barely shows itself. Taste is very close to the nose, with the faint wheat character showing up. I agree with other reviews on how this beer is much like a macro. It doesn't have any "umph" to it, and leaves me asking myself why I even bothered to shell out the $8 for a six, when I could have went with my usual torpedo for a buck less. Anyhow, its worth a shot if you can get one for the freeski, but I wouldn't dare go out buying this ever again. Cheers!

2.73/5  rDev -21.1%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: Insane amounts of bubbles obscure the view through this otherwise clear beer. It's a boring yellow colour with good head and lacing.

S: Very neutral smell, with traces of wheat.

T: Meh. It's decent. I guess. Watery with a wheaty background flavour, but I wouldn't say it tasted much like a wheat beer. Very little citrus, but some spice, probably weak cloves. Bland aftertaste with a touch of bitterness. Not impressed.

M: Carbonation and wateriness.

D: It's light, but not very drinkable. At least, I wouldn't drink it. The aftertaste is unpleasant, and the beer's quenching quality is its only redeeming factor. Not recommended.

2.73/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

#23. Another Sweetwater product. This one has a BBD of 01/03/11 on the bottle. There are directions for pouring on the label in order to achieve a "desired result". Wheats aren't my favorite, but I'm always willing to give something new a try. Here we go.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to my trusty beer mug at room temp.

(Appearance) Beer pours a two finger depth head that recedes moderately. Lacing left behind is average. The beer is very yellow with some slight gold tones. Beer is largely clear with some very slight hazy tones. Carbonation is busy. This beer is very bright in color but nothing super exciting. 3

(Smell) Very faint smells of wheat and some even lighter still hops and malts. Odors of citrus are not difficult to detect, and I can even get some whiffs of honey. This beer smells sweet but is not at all pungent. Plenty of room for improvement. As if the label didn't give it away, I can smell that it's going to be sweet. 2.5

(Taste) Super light and thin at first swig. The wheat isn't bold nor is the flavor. Any additional flavors added to this beer are even harder to detect at this point. Very faint citrus is next to nothing here along with some passive spices that are barely noticeable. The finish throws in some bolder wheat and slight toasty malts straight out of left field, which completely surprised me. This beer is just super light and drinks well, but isn't a very exciting drink. 2.5

(Mouthfeel) Some positives here, bold but not overly daring carbonation gives this beer a good balance between crisp and smooth, with a clean edge. Despite having a low-ish ABV, it's easy to detect sizable traces of alcohol in the finish. Beer is light bodied and thin. Much more watery than I would desire. 2.5

(Drinkability) I'm not thinking that this is a beer style that SweetWater mastered. It may fit for a few people who are looking to take it easy, but I'd have a hard time going for a second knowing that SweetWater brews far better things in my opinion. The beer is light and not very filling, has a moderately low ABV and is easy drinking. Despite not being phenomenal, it's still a good deal better than lots of macro brews. 3.5

Verdict: Very light bodied taste makes this a good intro for people who are edging in towards wheat beers but theres plenty of room for improvement in this SweetWater brew. I'm going to say that this might be a good choice for a very select audience, but I know and have tried better wheat beers. The flavor is just too light and easy to satisfy most drinker's buds. C- (2.7)

2.86/5  rDev -17.3%

Thanks to Kirkpjr for this brew.
A very unique brew I poured it into a hefe glass and was greeted with a big pillowy white head. It was a strange clear yellow colored body with huge bubbles coming up in the glass. I will say that for being as strange sounding as the appearance was I did find it to be appealing.

I got a sweet wheat smell coming from the brew. I also got a light banana aroma as well. The flavor was sweet and bubbly with a touch of citrus. The brew had a light feel with tons of carbonation.

After sitting here writing this review I finally figured out what this brew reminded me of, Citrus flavored club soda but yellow in color. It did drink real well but not what I expected

2.88/5  rDev -16.8%

A - Pours a straw yellow with a semi creamy white head that does not retain well. The beer almost appears filtered. Laces weakly as the head fades.

A - Not a whole lot here. Subtle notes of bread and citrus. Yeast ester very subdued.

T - Very unimaginative. Bland wheat maltiness with faint notes of citrus hop flavor. Low bitterness with little to no yeast ester. Finishes slightly cloying.

M - Thin and a toutch watery upfront. Becomes a bit cloying towards the end.

D - Very easy to drink. A lawnmower beer for sure

0 - I was very hopeful coming into this beer. I really expected Sweetwater to give a better effort than this. Another overly bland uninspired American Wheat Ale.

2.9/5  rDev -16.2%

M - Thin and a toutch watery upfront. Becomes a bit cloying towards the end.

D - Very easy to drink. A lawnmower beer for sure

3.02/5  rDev -12.7%

A - Thick lace
not to much of an appearance

S - Floral with gentle hints of citrus

T - Spicy beer with tastes of citrus and hops

M - Light wheat beer, not strong of a mouth feel

D - Good summer beer, but not something I would like to have more than 2 of.

3.13/5  rDev -9.5%

Appearance - straw/hay color with light honey tones. Minimal lacing with average to low head retention.

Smell - citrus, very light wheat and yeast. Also freshly baked bread.

Taste - is not bad but not more than average. Again tartness from the citrus, light wheat and yeast with some small hoppy bitterness on the back end.

Mouthfeel - is just above average. Some creaminess with low carbonation.

Drinkability - very easy to drink. Would work nicely on a hot summer day, but don't expect anything complex from this beer.

3.23/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from 12oz. bottle into snifter.

From Sweetwater tacklebox mix pack.

Bottle: Best by 08/14/11

A: Pours a hazy yellow with a solid 1 finger bone white head. Ok retention. Lace is a splotchy down the glass.

S: Smells of citrus, slight lemons, with a wheat backbone to smooth it out. Not much else going on though.

T: Pretty bland. The unfiltered yeast comes through up front and then....yeah that's about it. A little fruit, maybe. This is about as average as average can be.

M: Light bodied with a solid crispness and medium to high carbonation.

O: This was a very average brew. Typical run of the mill wheat ale.

3.23/5  rDev -6.6%

Living in Atl, I am always excited for a new Sweetwater to come out. Unfortunately this time I wasn't all that impressed. Beer poured clear golden, and had a very mild smell of mild citrus/tart/ and hops. Had a decent head. The taste...well....to me it was lacking at best. I understand that this is a light summer wheat ale, but Sweeetwater is known for their beers having lots of flavor. Feel of the beer was fine, not overdone. Given the choice I would choose almost any of the other SW beers over this one (maybe not blueberry) and now I am just looking forward to the next DANK TANK creation...went to the brewery last week, they said it is coming out in July...an IPA....MAGNUM I.P.

3.32/5  rDev -4%

This beer was part of a gift that I received from the staff at Hotel Indigo in Atlanta. A MOST thoughtful thing to do.

Appearance: Pours a slightly cloudy yellow color with a small head of white bubbles that faded back into the beer within about 20-30 seconds.

Aroma: The hops are a pretty major player in the aroma. There is a little bit of grass, and some mild citrus...and heck, maybe even some floral, so the hop bouquet is pretty complex for such a light beer. The wheat is also in the nose adding some dry bready notes.

Taste: The flavor is also led by the hops with a bit of a resiny impression up front giving way to a bit of light caramel sweetness and bready notes. The finish is balanced by the hops, but the sweetness barely wins out in the end. The beer is light to barely medium bodied with low carbonation for the style.

Opinion: Overall this is an alright beer. It has a pretty good balance and flavor. I am not a hop-head, so perhaps I don't appreciate this beer as much as I should, but I appreciate the blend and balance that they get from the hops.

3.33/5  rDev -3.8%

This beer replaces Hummer, Sweetwater's Wit style beer, and although this isn't a bad beer, I much preferred the underappreciated Hummer as a summer quaffer. This pours pale golden with lots of effervescence and little head. Smells lightly grainy and slightly of lemon. Definitely light in the aroma department. The beer is crisp in the mouth with some slightly sweet and creamy wheat flavor, a touch of lemon and orange citrus, and a bit dusty tasting on the finish. Still works as a summer refresher, but the body is slightly heavier than the Hummer, its less citrusy and refreshing, and the fairly pronounced graininess is a distraction. I'd like a little more crispness and more of a flavor shift toward bubblegum or fruit and away from grain. It is what it is.

3.33/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured with a good strong head that linger for a while and left nice lacing. The beer is a light golden color and is cloudy like it should be.

The nose is a bit fruity, I mostly catch lemon/lime with a bit of orange.

Tastes lemony with a bit of a twang and a good hoppiness.

Mouthfeel is pretty thin but has okay carbonation lighten the body.

Overall this is a good beer. This is very similar to the hefeweizens I have tasted but with a little bit more hoppiness. I would definitely buy this again for Summer drinking.

3.36/5  rDev -2.9%

Sampled from a 12oz bottle purchased in a Sweetwater mix pack from Lowes Foods in Apex, NC. Best by date is 12/14/10.

A - A very pale yellow with great clarity and a moderate white head. Good lacing as the glass empties.

S - Very limited with a hint of fruit.

T - Crisp and dry with a slight citrusy bitterness, some fruit and a touch of spice. I don't get much from the wheat.

M - Thin with a slight silkiness and a moderate carbonation.

D - This strikes me as being geared toward the BMC crowd. It's easy to drink but not very entertaining. Not one I'd turn down at a tailgate but not one I'd buy.

3.38/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Mostly clear golden-yellow with a small, creamy white sheet of a head. Some strings of lace. Tart wheat and citrus aroma...powdery-sweet floral notes. Light, fresh grainy wheat, leafy hops bitterness, and a flash of lemon. Light bodied, tart, well-carbonated, and refreshing. I don't mind it being in the mixed 12-pack, though I would never buy it on its own. A very mild, but not terrible, version of a typically bland style.

3.38/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a hazy light orange with creamy froth that settles slowly and leaves nice rings.

The aroma is of toasted wheat bread with a touch of caramel, lemongrass and citrus.

The flavor follows the nose with wheat, toast, caramel, lemon zest, orange peel and peach. A touch of black pepper in the finish.

Light with a creamy feel, smooth

Easy to drink, nothing extraordinary

3.41/5  rDev -1.4%

Live review. Poured from the 12 oz. brown bottle that my brother in law Steven and his friend Allison brought up from Atlanta into a plastic “ocean fishes” glass (the best thing that I could find while on vacation in the Outer Banks, NC). Best if enjoyed by date of 09/17/11.

A Very white, very fluffy head over a translucent light yellow (not unlike Coors Light, really) body. The head sticks, meringue like, to the inside of the glass. I really like the look of the head but the body is not very insteresting at all. 3.0

S Very light, distant wheat. Unoffensive but boring. I am hoping for more from the taste. 2.0

T I am not dissapointed…really good wheat taste comes through with a good amount of barley malt sweetness. Really, a good wheat ale. 4.0

M Appropriately moderately smooth. 3.5

D Really quite good since it is a relatively light beer. 4.0

Notes: Looks can be decieving. This one has a taste that makes up for its lackluster looks and smell. Thanks to Steven and Allison for bringing it along!

3.42/5  rDev -1.2%

Bottle poured into a tulip

A:A very pale, light yellow color with a full but fizzy head that leaves only a thin layer of white bubbles soon after being poured.

S: Smells grainy, more than most wheat beers I’ve had, along with some farmhouse aroma of hay bundles, dried apricots and citrus hints. It’s reasonable complex but nice.

T/M: Taste is a little more subdued; medium carbonation followed by bready malts, slight bitterness, hints of grapefruit and soft wheat grains in the finish.

It decently good but not quite as good as some of SweetWater’s other brews. Still, it’s a good beer from a brewery that has given me nothing but good beers up to this point. Keep growing, SweetWater, keep growing.

3.42/5  rDev -1.2%

Drank at Taco Mac on draft (20 oz mug).

Appearance - typical wheat/ hefe appearance, golden yellow, little head retention, translucent appearance.

Smell - sweet smell but nothing discernible

Taste - very carbonated, sweet, citrus flavors, light and refreshing.

Mouthfeel - effervescent due to the high carbonation.

Drinkability - on a hot day I could drink quite a few of these.

I thought overall this was a good example of an American style hefeweizen. Had a slight sour note that could certainly be tamed with an orange if desired. I found it refreshing.

3.47/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Yellow in color with white head leaving some lacing.
S: Wheat and citrus hit the nose immediately. Harbingers of flavors to come.
T: Hint of grapefruit with dominant wheat flavor. Hops add nice touch.
M: Thin, light-bodied with moderate carbonation.
O: Refreshing on a hot summer day. Hoppy wheat beer that is quite good. Would enjoy another.

3.53/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pretty decent stuff for a hot summer day!

cloudy and unfiltered...fast fading head....nice lacing...

smell is of wheat...clean esters....low hop profile...

it taste very similar to the smell....has a slight fruity profile....that really comes out in the taste...

feel is very balanced...thirst quenching....

overall this beer is a pretty decent american wheat ale

3.53/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I got this one from GatorBeerNerd in a great trade at the Sexual Chocolate 2011 release. Thanks Donnie!

A: Poured a very hazy, tanngerine-orange color, with tons of little yeasties floating around in the brew. This was SO unfiltered! The one finger, solid white head lingered as a froth throughout the session.

S: Very faint, but pleasant scent of mild citrus and wheat, rounded out by sort of a white flour bread dough.

T: Very light in taste, yet still effective enough. Mild orange/apricot taste, with an overall wheat arch. A bit spicy on the finish and a mild present fruit lingering.

M: A bit thin in this area to be honest, but not too offensive. Carbonation to spare here and the wheat beat the potential sweetness into submission.

D: I've seen some review trashing this brew on here. Even though it's the dead of winter right now, I found this one to be a great summertime brew.... especially one for those harsh swampy conditions in Georgia!

Sweetwater Sch'Wheat from SweetWater Brewing Company