Sweetwater Sch'Wheat - SweetWater Brewing Company

Georgia, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: elgiacomo on 03-21-2010

1.5/5  rDev -56.4%

Chilled bottle into a glass. A generous extra from jophish17. Thanks Joe!

A: Pours a slightly hazy straw-apricot body with a finger of short-lived, off-white head. No lace.

S: Toast / grain. Kind of a light baked bread aroma with some yeast. I don't get much in the way of hops, or even much complexity.

T: I thought I had accidentally poured water into my beer glass upon trying this. The flavor is, at best, mild. If I were being generous, I'd say it is a simple delivery of toasted malt and *possibly* citrus hops with a strange, artificial sweetness to it. If I were being brutally honest, I'd say this is a macro substitute to appeal to the non-daring craft drinker.

M: Light-bodied, weak and watery flavor. Low carbonation.

D: An utter failure on all fronts.

1.75/5  rDev -49.1%

2.06/5  rDev -40.1%

Good soapy head but body is very milky with tons of floaties. Coloring is very weak yellow and has that macro feel to it. Smell is faint sweetness and I am only picking up a bit of the wheat. Smell is very much lacking. Taste is quite sour and very weak. No aftertaste at all. Ho hum. Carbonation is a bit thin and this beer tastes weak in my mouth. Well you know the rule of thumb is that one beer out of a mixed pack is going to suck. This is the black sheep.

2.46/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pale yellow color with significant haziness, and strings of carbonation bubbles rising to the top. Bright white head - not very thick and disappears almost immediately. To be honest, this thing looks a lot like a light American Adjunct, but more haze. Strong wheat aroma with a helping of citrusy lime. Decent nose. Taste is very lackluster - the wheat is there...and a slight hint of hops with cirtus/lime. All in all though, the taste is weak. My chick had a sip of it and said "It tastes like water!" My thoughts were along similar lines - wheaty water. Mouthfeel is thin with heavy carbonation. Can't help but think of Budweiser as I drink it.

In sum, disappointment. But I've started to expect that from Sweetwater. C'mon Sweetwater, what are you guys doing? You have it in you to make top notch brews - do you just not care?

I will say though that this is refreshing and easy to drink. But so is water, and that's a lot cheaper.

2.53/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

SweetWater Sch'Wheat 12oz into pint. Pours a shade darker than straw with a fizzy white 1/8" head that dissipates immediately. Smells of light malts with a very subtle wheat character, while a minuscule hop presence barely shows itself. Taste is very close to the nose, with the faint wheat character showing up. I agree with other reviews on how this beer is much like a macro. It doesn't have any "umph" to it, and leaves me asking myself why I even bothered to shell out the $8 for a six, when I could have went with my usual torpedo for a buck less. Anyhow, its worth a shot if you can get one for the freeski, but I wouldn't dare go out buying this ever again. Cheers!

2.73/5  rDev -20.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: Insane amounts of bubbles obscure the view through this otherwise clear beer. It's a boring yellow colour with good head and lacing.

S: Very neutral smell, with traces of wheat.

T: Meh. It's decent. I guess. Watery with a wheaty background flavour, but I wouldn't say it tasted much like a wheat beer. Very little citrus, but some spice, probably weak cloves. Bland aftertaste with a touch of bitterness. Not impressed.

M: Carbonation and wateriness.

D: It's light, but not very drinkable. At least, I wouldn't drink it. The aftertaste is unpleasant, and the beer's quenching quality is its only redeeming factor. Not recommended.

2.73/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

#23. Another Sweetwater product. This one has a BBD of 01/03/11 on the bottle. There are directions for pouring on the label in order to achieve a "desired result". Wheats aren't my favorite, but I'm always willing to give something new a try. Here we go.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to my trusty beer mug at room temp.

(Appearance) Beer pours a two finger depth head that recedes moderately. Lacing left behind is average. The beer is very yellow with some slight gold tones. Beer is largely clear with some very slight hazy tones. Carbonation is busy. This beer is very bright in color but nothing super exciting. 3

(Smell) Very faint smells of wheat and some even lighter still hops and malts. Odors of citrus are not difficult to detect, and I can even get some whiffs of honey. This beer smells sweet but is not at all pungent. Plenty of room for improvement. As if the label didn't give it away, I can smell that it's going to be sweet. 2.5

(Taste) Super light and thin at first swig. The wheat isn't bold nor is the flavor. Any additional flavors added to this beer are even harder to detect at this point. Very faint citrus is next to nothing here along with some passive spices that are barely noticeable. The finish throws in some bolder wheat and slight toasty malts straight out of left field, which completely surprised me. This beer is just super light and drinks well, but isn't a very exciting drink. 2.5

(Mouthfeel) Some positives here, bold but not overly daring carbonation gives this beer a good balance between crisp and smooth, with a clean edge. Despite having a low-ish ABV, it's easy to detect sizable traces of alcohol in the finish. Beer is light bodied and thin. Much more watery than I would desire. 2.5

(Drinkability) I'm not thinking that this is a beer style that SweetWater mastered. It may fit for a few people who are looking to take it easy, but I'd have a hard time going for a second knowing that SweetWater brews far better things in my opinion. The beer is light and not very filling, has a moderately low ABV and is easy drinking. Despite not being phenomenal, it's still a good deal better than lots of macro brews. 3.5

Verdict: Very light bodied taste makes this a good intro for people who are edging in towards wheat beers but theres plenty of room for improvement in this SweetWater brew. I'm going to say that this might be a good choice for a very select audience, but I know and have tried better wheat beers. The flavor is just too light and easy to satisfy most drinker's buds. C- (2.7)

2.75/5  rDev -20.1%

2.86/5  rDev -16.9%

Thanks to Kirkpjr for this brew.
A very unique brew I poured it into a hefe glass and was greeted with a big pillowy white head. It was a strange clear yellow colored body with huge bubbles coming up in the glass. I will say that for being as strange sounding as the appearance was I did find it to be appealing.

I got a sweet wheat smell coming from the brew. I also got a light banana aroma as well. The flavor was sweet and bubbly with a touch of citrus. The brew had a light feel with tons of carbonation.

After sitting here writing this review I finally figured out what this brew reminded me of, Citrus flavored club soda but yellow in color. It did drink real well but not what I expected

2.88/5  rDev -16.3%

A - Pours a straw yellow with a semi creamy white head that does not retain well. The beer almost appears filtered. Laces weakly as the head fades.

A - Not a whole lot here. Subtle notes of bread and citrus. Yeast ester very subdued.

T - Very unimaginative. Bland wheat maltiness with faint notes of citrus hop flavor. Low bitterness with little to no yeast ester. Finishes slightly cloying.

M - Thin and a toutch watery upfront. Becomes a bit cloying towards the end.

D - Very easy to drink. A lawnmower beer for sure

0 - I was very hopeful coming into this beer. I really expected Sweetwater to give a better effort than this. Another overly bland uninspired American Wheat Ale.

2.9/5  rDev -15.7%

M - Thin and a toutch watery upfront. Becomes a bit cloying towards the end.

D - Very easy to drink. A lawnmower beer for sure