Sweetwater Sch'Wheat - SweetWater Brewing Company

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: elgiacomo on 03-21-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
3.32/5  rDev -4%

This beer was part of a gift that I received from the staff at Hotel Indigo in Atlanta. A MOST thoughtful thing to do.

Appearance: Pours a slightly cloudy yellow color with a small head of white bubbles that faded back into the beer within about 20-30 seconds.

Aroma: The hops are a pretty major player in the aroma. There is a little bit of grass, and some mild citrus...and heck, maybe even some floral, so the hop bouquet is pretty complex for such a light beer. The wheat is also in the nose adding some dry bready notes.

Taste: The flavor is also led by the hops with a bit of a resiny impression up front giving way to a bit of light caramel sweetness and bready notes. The finish is balanced by the hops, but the sweetness barely wins out in the end. The beer is light to barely medium bodied with low carbonation for the style.

Opinion: Overall this is an alright beer. It has a pretty good balance and flavor. I am not a hop-head, so perhaps I don't appreciate this beer as much as I should, but I appreciate the blend and balance that they get from the hops.

3.53/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I got this one from GatorBeerNerd in a great trade at the Sexual Chocolate 2011 release. Thanks Donnie!

A: Poured a very hazy, tanngerine-orange color, with tons of little yeasties floating around in the brew. This was SO unfiltered! The one finger, solid white head lingered as a froth throughout the session.

S: Very faint, but pleasant scent of mild citrus and wheat, rounded out by sort of a white flour bread dough.

T: Very light in taste, yet still effective enough. Mild orange/apricot taste, with an overall wheat arch. A bit spicy on the finish and a mild present fruit lingering.

M: A bit thin in this area to be honest, but not too offensive. Carbonation to spare here and the wheat beat the potential sweetness into submission.

D: I've seen some review trashing this brew on here. Even though it's the dead of winter right now, I found this one to be a great summertime brew.... especially one for those harsh swampy conditions in Georgia!

2.73/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

#23. Another Sweetwater product. This one has a BBD of 01/03/11 on the bottle. There are directions for pouring on the label in order to achieve a "desired result". Wheats aren't my favorite, but I'm always willing to give something new a try. Here we go.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to my trusty beer mug at room temp.

(Appearance) Beer pours a two finger depth head that recedes moderately. Lacing left behind is average. The beer is very yellow with some slight gold tones. Beer is largely clear with some very slight hazy tones. Carbonation is busy. This beer is very bright in color but nothing super exciting. 3

(Smell) Very faint smells of wheat and some even lighter still hops and malts. Odors of citrus are not difficult to detect, and I can even get some whiffs of honey. This beer smells sweet but is not at all pungent. Plenty of room for improvement. As if the label didn't give it away, I can smell that it's going to be sweet. 2.5

(Taste) Super light and thin at first swig. The wheat isn't bold nor is the flavor. Any additional flavors added to this beer are even harder to detect at this point. Very faint citrus is next to nothing here along with some passive spices that are barely noticeable. The finish throws in some bolder wheat and slight toasty malts straight out of left field, which completely surprised me. This beer is just super light and drinks well, but isn't a very exciting drink. 2.5

(Mouthfeel) Some positives here, bold but not overly daring carbonation gives this beer a good balance between crisp and smooth, with a clean edge. Despite having a low-ish ABV, it's easy to detect sizable traces of alcohol in the finish. Beer is light bodied and thin. Much more watery than I would desire. 2.5

(Drinkability) I'm not thinking that this is a beer style that SweetWater mastered. It may fit for a few people who are looking to take it easy, but I'd have a hard time going for a second knowing that SweetWater brews far better things in my opinion. The beer is light and not very filling, has a moderately low ABV and is easy drinking. Despite not being phenomenal, it's still a good deal better than lots of macro brews. 3.5

Verdict: Very light bodied taste makes this a good intro for people who are edging in towards wheat beers but theres plenty of room for improvement in this SweetWater brew. I'm going to say that this might be a good choice for a very select audience, but I know and have tried better wheat beers. The flavor is just too light and easy to satisfy most drinker's buds. C- (2.7)

American Pale Wheats are a hard sell for me. The vast majority of this style that I've come across are bland and insipid. While the style certainly isn't a whack you in the face sort of beer, it seems many brewers use this as their offering for the "beer drinkers who don't like the taste of beer" crowd. I rant on only to point out that Sweetwater defies this trend and made a darn tasty American Pale Wheat - clean and crisp without losing a nice malty mouthfeel. Poured a bright straw - just a bit of haze. Some very faint lemon notes, touching on tart but not going sour. Cleans up nicely.

2.9/5  rDev -16.2%

A - Pours a straw yellow with a semi creamy white head that does not retain well. The beer almost appears filtered. Laces weakly as the head fades.

A - Not a whole lot here. Subtle notes of bread and citrus. Yeast ester very subdued.

T - Very unimaginative. Bland wheat maltiness with faint notes of citrus hop flavor. Low bitterness with little to no yeast ester. Finishes slightly cloying.

M - Thin and a toutch watery upfront. Becomes a bit cloying towards the end.

D - Very easy to drink. A lawnmower beer for sure

0 - I was very hopeful coming into this beer. I really expected Sweetwater to give a better effort than this. Another overly bland uninspired American Wheat Ale.

3.02/5  rDev -12.7%

A - Thick lace
not to much of an appearance

S - Floral with gentle hints of citrus

T - Spicy beer with tastes of citrus and hops

M - Light wheat beer, not strong of a mouth feel

D - Good summer beer, but not something I would like to have more than 2 of.

3.36/5  rDev -2.9%

Sampled from a 12oz bottle purchased in a Sweetwater mix pack from Lowes Foods in Apex, NC. Best by date is 12/14/10.

A - A very pale yellow with great clarity and a moderate white head. Good lacing as the glass empties.

S - Very limited with a hint of fruit.

T - Crisp and dry with a slight citrusy bitterness, some fruit and a touch of spice. I don't get much from the wheat.

M - Thin with a slight silkiness and a moderate carbonation.

D - This strikes me as being geared toward the BMC crowd. It's easy to drink but not very entertaining. Not one I'd turn down at a tailgate but not one I'd buy.

3.55/5  rDev +2.6%

Average look as I poured it in my glass. Small head of white, which evaporated quickly, leaving a thin ring of clinging lace. Color is that of a pale ale, rating a 5 on the SRM chart. Light smell of citrus, wheat, and barley. I like the light crisp taste of this beer, having a hint of lemon, sweet malt, browned wheat, and hops. Well balanced flavor. Although a little weak in body, this brew is creamy in my mouth and sooths my throat as it passes. Not bad for the type and price. Not one of my favorite styles, but I would buy it again if I got the urge for a light, sweet brew.

3.38/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Mostly clear golden-yellow with a small, creamy white sheet of a head. Some strings of lace. Tart wheat and citrus aroma...powdery-sweet floral notes. Light, fresh grainy wheat, leafy hops bitterness, and a flash of lemon. Light bodied, tart, well-carbonated, and refreshing. I don't mind it being in the mixed 12-pack, though I would never buy it on its own. A very mild, but not terrible, version of a typically bland style.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at Flying Saucer served in a standard pint glass a crisp straw yellow with a thin diminishing head. The aroma is wheat and mild sweet fruit. The taste is a nice subtle blend of wheat and sweet fruits with mild citrus hops. The beer is quite light, crisp and smooth as expected for the style. This is a decent wheat beer, but not likely one I would have again.

2.86/5  rDev -17.3%

Thanks to Kirkpjr for this brew.
A very unique brew I poured it into a hefe glass and was greeted with a big pillowy white head. It was a strange clear yellow colored body with huge bubbles coming up in the glass. I will say that for being as strange sounding as the appearance was I did find it to be appealing.

I got a sweet wheat smell coming from the brew. I also got a light banana aroma as well. The flavor was sweet and bubbly with a touch of citrus. The brew had a light feel with tons of carbonation.

After sitting here writing this review I finally figured out what this brew reminded me of, Citrus flavored club soda but yellow in color. It did drink real well but not what I expected

3.97/5  rDev +14.7%

Comes out of the tap a slightly hazy golden yellow with a fine-bubbled snow white head. Yeasty, wheaty aroma has a fruity undertone, mainly banana. Crisp, wheaty, yeasty, slightly malty flavor has a hint of fruit. Fizzy, lively texture leaves a nice tingly finish.

2.73/5  rDev -21.1%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: Insane amounts of bubbles obscure the view through this otherwise clear beer. It's a boring yellow colour with good head and lacing.

S: Very neutral smell, with traces of wheat.

T: Meh. It's decent. I guess. Watery with a wheaty background flavour, but I wouldn't say it tasted much like a wheat beer. Very little citrus, but some spice, probably weak cloves. Bland aftertaste with a touch of bitterness. Not impressed.

M: Carbonation and wateriness.

D: It's light, but not very drinkable. At least, I wouldn't drink it. The aftertaste is unpleasant, and the beer's quenching quality is its only redeeming factor. Not recommended.

3.65/5  rDev +5.5%

A - Thick white head that laces down the glass covers a light golden body with active carbonation.

S - I pick floral and grass up pretty easy, sweet earth, and light spice.

T - Citrus with an earthy musk, lightly spicy with full on florals.

M - Light and refreshing, not withholding a wheaty aftertaste.

D - Excellent summer brew, great for a deck party.

1.5/5  rDev -56.6%

Chilled bottle into a glass. A generous extra from jophish17. Thanks Joe!

A: Pours a slightly hazy straw-apricot body with a finger of short-lived, off-white head. No lace.

S: Toast / grain. Kind of a light baked bread aroma with some yeast. I don't get much in the way of hops, or even much complexity.

T: I thought I had accidentally poured water into my beer glass upon trying this. The flavor is, at best, mild. If I were being generous, I'd say it is a simple delivery of toasted malt and *possibly* citrus hops with a strange, artificial sweetness to it. If I were being brutally honest, I'd say this is a macro substitute to appeal to the non-daring craft drinker.

M: Light-bodied, weak and watery flavor. Low carbonation.

D: An utter failure on all fronts.

3.6/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - Poured a golden color with a white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is mostly of wheat malt and citrus scents

T - Follows the nose with wheat and citrus with a touch of spice

M - this beer has a light body with medium carbonation to it

D - Sure it's not the best beer out there but it's hitting the spot right now in the Georgia heat worth getting sometime to try

3.42/5  rDev -1.2%

Drank at Taco Mac on draft (20 oz mug).

Appearance - typical wheat/ hefe appearance, golden yellow, little head retention, translucent appearance.

Smell - sweet smell but nothing discernible

Taste - very carbonated, sweet, citrus flavors, light and refreshing.

Mouthfeel - effervescent due to the high carbonation.

Drinkability - on a hot day I could drink quite a few of these.

I thought overall this was a good example of an American style hefeweizen. Had a slight sour note that could certainly be tamed with an orange if desired. I found it refreshing.

3.13/5  rDev -9.5%

Appearance - straw/hay color with light honey tones. Minimal lacing with average to low head retention.

Smell - citrus, very light wheat and yeast. Also freshly baked bread.

Taste - is not bad but not more than average. Again tartness from the citrus, light wheat and yeast with some small hoppy bitterness on the back end.

Mouthfeel - is just above average. Some creaminess with low carbonation.

Drinkability - very easy to drink. Would work nicely on a hot summer day, but don't expect anything complex from this beer.

2.88/5  rDev -16.8%

M - Thin and a toutch watery upfront. Becomes a bit cloying towards the end.

D - Very easy to drink. A lawnmower beer for sure

3.62/5  rDev +4.6%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Golden orange with a creamy, fluffy pure white head, not quite as nice as I'd like, but its not quite a weizen either, just a "wheat ale"

S: Wheat, but very sweet, some toasted malt too, smells like its been sweetened up, we'll see how it plays out in the flavor

T: Very similar to smell, malty and wheat flavors, again pretty sweet, decent hop bite sort of salvages an otherwise bland/uncreative taste, doesn't have the spice or citrus of a normal wheat beer, just sweetish malt and wheat

M: Semi-dry, which was a little unexpected, but I like it

D: The best aspect of this beer, it might not fit into any style nicely or taste quite like you want it too, but its easy and pleasant

Notes: This one is a little hard to explain. Its not quite anything you've had before, but its not quite great. Its different and accomplishes what it set out to do, but it just doesn't work as well as a normal wheat beer.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at the brewery.

Pours a clear straw color with a half-finger white head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving light lacing.

Smells of grassy wheat with mild amounts of light citrus and leafy hops.

Tastes OK. Wheat flavors with light amounts of citrus - orange and lemon rinds - kick things off. Midway through the sip the flavors turn more toward hops - grassy and earthy - and carry through to a crisp finish.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is alright. I finished my glass without a problem but I'm not sure about another.

Overall I wasn't a huge fan of this beer - I thought it was kind of a stripped down version of their Hummer which wasn't the best beer in the world to begin with. Not worth avoiding but certainly not worth seeking out.

3.33/5  rDev -3.8%

This beer replaces Hummer, Sweetwater's Wit style beer, and although this isn't a bad beer, I much preferred the underappreciated Hummer as a summer quaffer. This pours pale golden with lots of effervescence and little head. Smells lightly grainy and slightly of lemon. Definitely light in the aroma department. The beer is crisp in the mouth with some slightly sweet and creamy wheat flavor, a touch of lemon and orange citrus, and a bit dusty tasting on the finish. Still works as a summer refresher, but the body is slightly heavier than the Hummer, its less citrusy and refreshing, and the fairly pronounced graininess is a distraction. I'd like a little more crispness and more of a flavor shift toward bubblegum or fruit and away from grain. It is what it is.

3.23/5  rDev -6.6%

Living in Atl, I am always excited for a new Sweetwater to come out. Unfortunately this time I wasn't all that impressed. Beer poured clear golden, and had a very mild smell of mild citrus/tart/ and hops. Had a decent head. The taste...well....to me it was lacking at best. I understand that this is a light summer wheat ale, but Sweeetwater is known for their beers having lots of flavor. Feel of the beer was fine, not overdone. Given the choice I would choose almost any of the other SW beers over this one (maybe not blueberry) and now I am just looking forward to the next DANK TANK creation...went to the brewery last week, they said it is coming out in July...an IPA....MAGNUM I.P.

4.07/5  rDev +17.6%

12 ounce bottle - $1.79 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a near clear, pale gold-hued body with a small-sized, white that soon peters out.

Smell: Largely smelling of tart lemon, though by no means is this a particularly pungent aroma. Also some wheat notes and a rather tenuous tone of spice.

Taste: Modest taste of malted wheat with some simple sugary flourishes. Full pinch of freshly-grated lemon zest yields some citrus character and a little bit of tartness. No more than a very, very subtle touch of hop bitterness. Equally subtle hint of spiciness. A crisp finish rife with lemon.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Medium-high carbonation along the lines of a soda.

Drinkability: Light, refreshing, drinkable -- very on-track for the humble wheat ale style. If those aren't things you're interested in in terms of a beer, then you'd best just steer well clear of this one. As for me, it's a pleasant, summertime brew.

3.78/5  rDev +9.2%

I'm usually very impressed with Sweetwater brews, but this one doesn't live up to the rest of their stable. It pours nicely into a glass, builds about 1/2" foam which dissipates quickly, and leaves behind a beer that looks like it has great potential. Color is a straw-like cloudy. The smell is where things start to go wrong, it's just not nearly as strong on fruit as I'm accustomed to in wheat ales.

Unfortunately the taste also isn't there. While it's got a hint of hops, a bit of citrus and the requisite wheat flavor, it's just not as good a variation on its category as, say, the Sweetwater IPA. It does feel great in your mouth; I don't think the carbonation is overdone, and I could drink it all afternoon, so that's a definite plus in its corner. Unfortunately, the taste isn't quite there to make it worth me picking up another 6-pack.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast