Sweetwater Dank Tank Magnum IP - SweetWater Brewing Company

Sweetwater Dank Tank Magnum IPSweetwater Dank Tank Magnum IP

SweetWater Brewing Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: elgiacomo on 07-03-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sweetwater Dank Tank Magnum IP Alström Bros

GABrew, Jul 08, 2013

2.5/5  rDev -36.4%

jophish17, Nov 14, 2011

Janderson91, Nov 14, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -7.6%

light amber color coming through very clearly. Nice notes of white coming over the top of the beer, with a settling down of the head into a subtle side glass profile. Nice carbonation could be seen coming up from the bottom of the glass as well.

The aroma was very light. Nice touches of citrus popping up throughout the profile. A definite touch of alcohol was visible from the very first whiff though, letting me know this one was going to be strong, and settling me back in the chair a bit I have to say. Light grains coming through now as it starts to warm up, the taste was very crisp, clean and transparent. This was definitely not a lager. Clean flavor of lemon, grapefruit, touches of grass as well.

mikesgroove, Aug 07, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Gets a 4.5 for putting the Detroit hat on the monkey? on the front, in true tribute to Magnum P.I. Light orangish beer with a fluffy head that left some decent lace on the sides.

S - Some tropical fruits, citrus, floral notes, and grainy malt profile.

T - Fairly sweet, a little too much if you try to drink a considerable amount of it. Some fruit, and a slight bit of bitterness on the end. For an Imperial Pilsener, it's not bad, but this is a style I've never cared a ton for.

M - Smooth, fairly active carbonation.

O - Not a bad beer, and for Imperial Pilseners I'd recommend giving it at try. Not something I'd really have again though.

AgentZero, Jul 07, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -6.4%

22oz bottle poured into a Pint Glass.

A - Pours a hazy orange-amber with a fluffy white head that recedes to some patchy lacing. Kinda pretty.
S - Sweet toasted malt, a bit of honey, and some citrus-y hops (orange peel and tangerine).
T - Very similar to the nose, definitely more on the sweet end of the spectrum. More lightly toasted malt gives way to some pungent and bitter citrus hops, with a bit of spicy yeast thrown in for good measure. Honestly, this reminds me more of a DIPA that an "Imperial Pilsner", but I guess when you get to a certain level of malt and hops it all starts tasting the same.
M - Medium-full bodied with a creamy mouth-feel and crisp, sharp carbonation. The 9% ABV is pretty well hidden, not really detecting it at all.
O - I'm surprised by how much I'm actually liking this, the last "Imperial Pilsner" I had was awful (looking at you Terrapin). Sweetwater has been on a roll lately, keep it up!

jsanford, Jun 08, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -14%

Pours a bright golden-apricot with 1.5 fingers of solid white head. Good retention through most the brew. Sticky lace. In shadow, this brew takes on the nicest shade of salmon-orange reminiscent of the best rose wines.

The nose sees biscuit and buttered popcorn aromas and hoppy, floral notes of bitter mandarin orange. Maybe a touch of unripe papaya. I find it to be rather simple.

The palate is medium bodied, and though there's some sweetness up front, coupled with a nice sort of honey-drizzled buttered-biscuit flavor, the leafy hop bitterness kicks in hard, hand-in-hand with the big, shrill alcohol for a rather rough and unpleasant finish. A lingering breadiness saves it from total disaster. More flavors of mandarin orange, white clove.

I found the maltiness of this brew to be disappointingly one-dimensional and brutishly overshadowed by the hops. Overall, it's not bad, I suppose, because a Pilsner style is supposed to be hoppy, but maybe I'm a traditionalist in the fact that I think noble hops would have been a better choice.

TheWhiskerReview, May 10, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

A- Great full screen of lacing. The body is that carmel, gouda coloration that is dark enough to block vision through it, but when held up to the light it definitely goes fully through. There are no streams of carbonation, just many many singular bubbles running the rat race to the ever present cream on top. Pure white like I expected, and VERY tiny bubbles. I almost want to scoop some onto an espresso.

S- Ooo a nice tangerine tang to this. Zesty and spiced up for sure. Extremely bready. I swear I could bite into a pillsbury straight from the oven and get the same aroma flooding my nostrils from my mouf. It has a grassy background, gentle, very pleasant. Medium power to it. Awesome nose. Some things that start to develop later on are an apple tart mixture and an increased spiciness with a reduction in the light grassy, floral hops.

T- First thoughts are how sweet this is. I didn't expect that at all. Its almost belgian candied sugar flavor. Slow rollover of the bright sucrose characteristic into the apple flavor I was starting to pick up in the nose. Following that is straight into the finish. Very gentle hops. grassy with a mild bitterness to it. This thing feels like... a Tripel.. no barleywine.. no pilsner tripel barleywine!

M- Full bodied! Thick... Very creamy, ridiculous amount of velvet smooth presence. Carbonation is omnipresent throughout. Slow bubble release and eruption on the walls of my mouth. Tingly, not crisp.. Bright... but more like dusk bright... so... murky? Hmm.. The alcohol is strong but well balanced into it. Gives a minor heat through the throat. In the mouth its almost balancing the carbonation I feel.

D- I fell in love with the nose. I was intrigued by the flavor. I was baffled by the oral sensations. This beer totally is new to me.. it has to be a new style. I can't place my tongue exactly on what it is. I like it, but honestly what isn't there to like about ticking a new style? ;)

The flavor starts to become a chore to drink. At first I thought the syrupy nature was what was causing me to start to slow down on the second half of the glass, however, I love syrupy beers. I came to realize something starts to attenuate out of the flavor.. almost a tomato flavor... Memories come to haunt me? Kidding, kidding. That definitely started to cause me to back off, but not to the point where I couldn't drink it.

Khazadum, Mar 24, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

A. Pours a hazy orange with a white creamy head that leaves lots of residual lacing.

S. Lots of breast malt, a bit of alcohol, and some hoppy bitterness.

T. Lots of bready malt with some orange and lemon bitterness.

M. Very creamy mouthfeel that sits on your tongue nicely.

D. Supremely drinkable. Good for the style.

BeerAndBourbon, Mar 18, 2011

An extra from mikesgroove, much appreciated. This pours a pale golden color, clear with maybe just a hint of chill haze, and a nice poofy foam. This smells solid, bready malts and juicy Cascade hops, with a barely detectable ethanol in back.

It tastes sweet and bready, I could imagine this being divine on cask. Very American feeling, part DIPA and part pilsner. The sweetness gets a little tiring but still this is tasty. Hard hitting ABV wise, but enjoyable.

TurdFurgison, Feb 08, 2011