2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sweetwater Dank Tank Magnum IP - SweetWater Brewing Company

Sweetwater Dank Tank Magnum IPSweetwater Dank Tank Magnum IP

SweetWater Brewing Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: elgiacomo on 07-03-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 68 | Reviews: 50 | Show All Ratings:
scottyshades

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%

Growler from Green's in Greenville, SC

A: Pours a hop-hazed golden/copper color with an AWESOME fluffy/billowy head. Retention is excellent.

S: Floral hops immediately greet the nose, along with a big sweetness and malt. The hops are spicy, very grassy and tart, and earthy. Very unique

T: Holy smokes, I was told this has 100 IBUs, and the bitterness is so balanced. Hops are absolutely delicious in this one...really floral and earthy - not resinous/piny/or citrusy.

MF/D: Heavy mouthfeel, smooth carbonation, alcohol is very well hidden.

Notes: Really scared to drop $12 on a growler of an imperial pilsner, but this was totally worth it. Will seek this out again.

Serving type: growler

09-11-2010 00:38:59 | More by scottyshades
mikesgroove

South Carolina

3.63/5  rDev -7.6%

light amber color coming through very clearly. Nice notes of white coming over the top of the beer, with a settling down of the head into a subtle side glass profile. Nice carbonation could be seen coming up from the bottom of the glass as well.

The aroma was very light. Nice touches of citrus popping up throughout the profile. A definite touch of alcohol was visible from the very first whiff though, letting me know this one was going to be strong, and settling me back in the chair a bit I have to say. Light grains coming through now as it starts to warm up, the taste was very crisp, clean and transparent. This was definitely not a lager. Clean flavor of lemon, grapefruit, touches of grass as well.

08-07-2011 00:53:21 | More by mikesgroove
AgentZero

3.65/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Gets a 4.5 for putting the Detroit hat on the monkey? on the front, in true tribute to Magnum P.I. Light orangish beer with a fluffy head that left some decent lace on the sides.

S - Some tropical fruits, citrus, floral notes, and grainy malt profile.

T - Fairly sweet, a little too much if you try to drink a considerable amount of it. Some fruit, and a slight bit of bitterness on the end. For an Imperial Pilsener, it's not bad, but this is a style I've never cared a ton for.

M - Smooth, fairly active carbonation.

O - Not a bad beer, and for Imperial Pilseners I'd recommend giving it at try. Not something I'd really have again though.

07-07-2011 14:45:37 | More by AgentZero
jsanford

Georgia

3.68/5  rDev -6.4%

22oz bottle poured into a Pint Glass.

A - Pours a hazy orange-amber with a fluffy white head that recedes to some patchy lacing. Kinda pretty.
S - Sweet toasted malt, a bit of honey, and some citrus-y hops (orange peel and tangerine).
T - Very similar to the nose, definitely more on the sweet end of the spectrum. More lightly toasted malt gives way to some pungent and bitter citrus hops, with a bit of spicy yeast thrown in for good measure. Honestly, this reminds me more of a DIPA that an "Imperial Pilsner", but I guess when you get to a certain level of malt and hops it all starts tasting the same.
M - Medium-full bodied with a creamy mouth-feel and crisp, sharp carbonation. The 9% ABV is pretty well hidden, not really detecting it at all.
O - I'm surprised by how much I'm actually liking this, the last "Imperial Pilsner" I had was awful (looking at you Terrapin). Sweetwater has been on a roll lately, keep it up!

06-08-2011 03:48:20 | More by jsanford
TheWhiskerReview

3.38/5  rDev -14%

Pours a bright golden-apricot with 1.5 fingers of solid white head. Good retention through most the brew. Sticky lace. In shadow, this brew takes on the nicest shade of salmon-orange reminiscent of the best rose wines.

The nose sees biscuit and buttered popcorn aromas and hoppy, floral notes of bitter mandarin orange. Maybe a touch of unripe papaya. I find it to be rather simple.

The palate is medium bodied, and though there's some sweetness up front, coupled with a nice sort of honey-drizzled buttered-biscuit flavor, the leafy hop bitterness kicks in hard, hand-in-hand with the big, shrill alcohol for a rather rough and unpleasant finish. A lingering breadiness saves it from total disaster. More flavors of mandarin orange, white clove.

I found the maltiness of this brew to be disappointingly one-dimensional and brutishly overshadowed by the hops. Overall, it's not bad, I suppose, because a Pilsner style is supposed to be hoppy, but maybe I'm a traditionalist in the fact that I think noble hops would have been a better choice.

05-10-2011 06:38:15 | More by TheWhiskerReview
Khazadum

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

A- Great full screen of lacing. The body is that carmel, gouda coloration that is dark enough to block vision through it, but when held up to the light it definitely goes fully through. There are no streams of carbonation, just many many singular bubbles running the rat race to the ever present cream on top. Pure white like I expected, and VERY tiny bubbles. I almost want to scoop some onto an espresso.

S- Ooo a nice tangerine tang to this. Zesty and spiced up for sure. Extremely bready. I swear I could bite into a pillsbury straight from the oven and get the same aroma flooding my nostrils from my mouf. It has a grassy background, gentle, very pleasant. Medium power to it. Awesome nose. Some things that start to develop later on are an apple tart mixture and an increased spiciness with a reduction in the light grassy, floral hops.

T- First thoughts are how sweet this is. I didn't expect that at all. Its almost belgian candied sugar flavor. Slow rollover of the bright sucrose characteristic into the apple flavor I was starting to pick up in the nose. Following that is straight into the finish. Very gentle hops. grassy with a mild bitterness to it. This thing feels like... a Tripel.. no barleywine.. no pilsner tripel barleywine!

M- Full bodied! Thick... Very creamy, ridiculous amount of velvet smooth presence. Carbonation is omnipresent throughout. Slow bubble release and eruption on the walls of my mouth. Tingly, not crisp.. Bright... but more like dusk bright... so... murky? Hmm.. The alcohol is strong but well balanced into it. Gives a minor heat through the throat. In the mouth its almost balancing the carbonation I feel.

D- I fell in love with the nose. I was intrigued by the flavor. I was baffled by the oral sensations. This beer totally is new to me.. it has to be a new style. I can't place my tongue exactly on what it is. I like it, but honestly what isn't there to like about ticking a new style? ;)

The flavor starts to become a chore to drink. At first I thought the syrupy nature was what was causing me to start to slow down on the second half of the glass, however, I love syrupy beers. I came to realize something starts to attenuate out of the flavor.. almost a tomato flavor... Memories come to haunt me? Kidding, kidding. That definitely started to cause me to back off, but not to the point where I couldn't drink it.

03-24-2011 22:53:50 | More by Khazadum
BeerAndBourbon

3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

A. Pours a hazy orange with a white creamy head that leaves lots of residual lacing.

S. Lots of breast malt, a bit of alcohol, and some hoppy bitterness.

T. Lots of bready malt with some orange and lemon bitterness.

M. Very creamy mouthfeel that sits on your tongue nicely.

D. Supremely drinkable. Good for the style.

03-18-2011 23:57:20 | More by BeerAndBourbon
TurdFurgison

An extra from mikesgroove, much appreciated. This pours a pale golden color, clear with maybe just a hint of chill haze, and a nice poofy foam. This smells solid, bready malts and juicy Cascade hops, with a barely detectable ethanol in back.

It tastes sweet and bready, I could imagine this being divine on cask. Very American feeling, part DIPA and part pilsner. The sweetness gets a little tiring but still this is tasty. Hard hitting ABV wise, but enjoyable.

02-08-2011 00:47:05 | More by TurdFurgison
levifunk

Wisconsin

very nice extra. reviewed from notes.

a - pour is light yellow with a white head.

s - malts, some hops, and a little booze.

t - heavy malts with grapefruit. dark fruit sweetness.

m - medium body, but on the lower end of carbonation

overall - i've never had an Imperial Pilsner, but it was quite tasty. great fall beer.

02-03-2011 22:20:38 | More by levifunk
BrewCrew2010

Mississippi

4.28/5  rDev +8.9%

A: A light golden orange body with a fluffy sticky head that leaves behind a little bit of lace.

S: A rich nose of honey, spices, bitter citrus hops, grains, and sweet malts.

T: Not what I expected! A rich and thick flavor of sweet malts, white sugar, and honey swirl around the tongue and are balanced with light bitter citrus hops and spices.

M: Thick chewy texture with a medium-full body and medium carbonation.

D: I really enjoyed this one. Not what I expected, but was very easy to drink and I wish I had more.

02-03-2011 18:34:04 | More by BrewCrew2010
Kegatron

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

22 oz bottle into a couple of pint glasses.

Pours a hazed golden copper, with a finger of tight bright-white head. This retains with a thin layer of froth, maybe a little creamier on the edges, with a solidly rich flare-up that leaves some thick patchy lacing behind. The aroma smells of earth, spice, juicy oranges, and sweet, lightly toasted grains. A bit of stiff alcohol heat sits underneath but doesn't interrupt the nose too much.

The taste has a sticky base of sweet malt and fruit going on with it, as bready grains mix with zesty notes of orange and lemon. Hops are moderately assertive here, with a leafy feel and biting citrus rind bitterness. The finish is VERY dry, with a lingering spicy earthiness. The mouthfeel is medium to fuller bodied, with some thickness up front that then turns into a crisp creaminess as it spreads out into the rest of the mouth. There are no alcohol flavors but this does possess a beefy warmth to it.

Imperial Pilsners are one of those styles that I sometimes just can't get behind but this one wasn't too bad. The distinct fruity flavors kept this interesting and honestly, the sharpness of the carbonation probably kept this from becoming the sweet alcoholic mess that some other examples sometimes break down into. This was good but I'm glad that I split the bomber. Sessionable this is not.

01-20-2011 20:03:22 | More by Kegatron
BeerAdvocate

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #43 (Aug 2010):

Lacing adorns the glass as the hazed, golden color glows in the light. There are smells of spice and tropical fruits in the nose. Yeah, it's exotic. Its big body and smoothness ride slow but steady. It has a big, biscuity malt base, and is yeasty as well. The hops come along and drop a bit of a bomb on you, with bitterness and a thick herbal flavor that soon battles with its quickly warming alcohol character. Doughy malt and leafy hops finish off the brew. It's a proud member of an American beer style, and deservedly so.

01-11-2011 03:51:04 | More by BeerAdvocate
PDXHops

South Carolina

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

Bomber poured into a Duvel tulip. Hazy golden orange with 2 fingers of off-white. Decent retention with some nice patches of lacing.

A Cascade/Sterling hop combo, says the label, and it smells like both were utilized generously. Loads of grapefruit, floral and grassy aromas, with pine and some toasty grain also clamoring for attention.

Thickish with a somewhat coating body that is doughy sweet at times, but a searing bitterness rips through it with ease. Huge sting of spiciness kicks in midswallow; it seems that the Sterling is more influential in the flavor than nose. Plentiful grit and grain, yet other than some lingering booze, it finishes pretty cleanly. It's not really boozy, either; in fact, quite the opposite. It goes down entirely too easy for a 9% beer.

Overall impression: Another winner from Sweetwater. At least for the time-being, this is my measuring stick for imperial pilsners.

12-28-2010 21:14:38 | More by PDXHops
BeerDawgs

Georgia

4.6/5  rDev +17%

A - A dirty golden/orange color. Not clear.

S - I can smell the hops, but floral and honey are present.

T - Awesome is the first word that comes to mind. It tastes at 1st like it wants to be sweet, but then backs up and has a smooth finish, with some leftover hoppiness.

M - Medium carbonation. Smooth.

D - I could drink this all night long, and probably end up on the floor because it packs a punch. I was thrilled to find this in a wine store in December, I think it has been sold out for awhile, as the Border Hopper has been out for a month now. I wish they would put this out as a seasonal!

12-19-2010 00:52:36 | More by BeerDawgs
maximum12

2.28/5  rDev -42%

Thanks to mjmadden for a killer box late this fall in a BIF. This is only one of two survivors from that tasty crowd...and then there was one. Split with my wife.

Pours a moribund, hazy yellow, the sun seen through a layer of high clouds. Smell is rife with a fist of pale malts, strong lawn clippings, & an undercurrent of wet bread.

From the Dank Tank comes a shot of malts that fail to be sweet, hops that refuse to bite, & grassiness that can't stain. Very odd. All of the ingredients are present, & tasted, but need some manner of Frankenstein shot to bring them to life. Aftertaste of metal as the beer warms. Each sips leaves me a little puzzled, a little wincing. Huh?

Very confusing beer. In the end, the malts win out with a heavy hand, subsuming other characteristics that might have made it more interesting. But a pils? I'm a style agnostic, but if this is a pils, I'm Angelina Jolie. Confused mess of a beer, & I have to conclude I'm just not a fan of the Dank Tank series.

12-18-2010 02:58:21 | More by maximum12
Tilley4

4.13/5  rDev +5.1%

Terrific looking in my Duvel tulip... Glowing hazy golden with a small but tight head... Very hazy and opaque...

Freshly cut flowers, some hay aromas, a lightly toasted biscuit malt and a healthy dose of hops as well... Very complex... There's a lot going on here... Not a trace of booze...

Sweet almost honey-like malts dominate here but they are accentuated heavily by the floral bitter hops and an earthiness that I can't quite put a finger on... Rather warming in the throat although I can't taste the booze... Finish is slightly bitter although not overly so... Very nice...

I could get in trouble with this one... Its a well crafted brew that I could easily have 2 bombers of without blinking an eye... Glad I got to try this one...

12-07-2010 04:38:08 | More by Tilley4
JamnesCameron

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured into a willis glass.

Pours a slightly hazy deep gold brew with a meringue like head that leaves lots of lacing. Head is off white.

Aromas of dried hay, flowery hops and a little citrus.

First sip is of citrus (orange) and flowers, with a malt backbone. Imagine a czech pils, multiplied by at least two. The malt is there to provide balance to the hops. You get the full hop profile, bitterness, flavor, and aroma. The hops flavor and aroma are off (american mutts vs. european noble), but the idea is still there.

Mouthfeel is medium, a little filling. But it coats the inside of your mouth with a load of hops and then a slathering of malt to take the edge off.

Very drinkable, and very dangerous at 9%. Don't session this or you'll be posted on Late Night Mistakes with marker all over your face. Very nice beer.

11-04-2010 03:06:08 | More by JamnesCameron
sholland119

3.63/5  rDev -7.6%

Pikced up this bottle in Asheville last month.

A-Pours a clear honey gold with a huge frothy white head andlots of lacing.

S-Nice citrus hops, lots and lots of malt sweetness.

T-Solid. Grassy hops and good biscuity malt behind.

M-Smooth, medium bodied.

D-A solid offering from Sweetwater.

HV

10-27-2010 01:27:26 | More by sholland119
twiggamortis420

3.03/5  rDev -22.9%

22 oz bomber pours a very clear gold color. Massive cap of sticky white head. Displays awesome retention, forms a mesa in the middle of the glass and shows off an impressive formation of 3D lace.

Nose is grassy and citric hops without a whole lot of malt backing...maybe a light dusting of sweet grains, bordering on biscuits.

Whoa, this is sweet - honey coated sugar cubes! Grainy as hell to boot. Plenty of hop flavor, grassy and floral, but not enough bitterness to cut the sweetness. Alcohol is huge, not really rough, just really big. It does have a nice creamy mouthfeel to it though. I am glad I am splitting this with a friend, as I do not think I could finish a whole one by myself. IMO, Boulevard and Orval's collaboration impy pilsener wipes the floor with this one, waaay too sweet for me. An awesome appearance and nice aroma save this one from finding the 'C' range.

09-25-2010 17:27:14 | More by twiggamortis420
phideltashaggy

3.18/5  rDev -19.1%

Poured a clear yellow with a quickly dissipating head.

Smell was nice, a citrusy hops that I enjoyed a lot.

I'm a bit biased here, I prefer malt flavors, so I found this brew to be way too bitter.

The feel was a little thicker than I was expecting.

Again, too bitter to be terribly drinkable, for me. Basically, this is a sweet find for fans of high (ish) IBUs, but everyone else should avoid.

09-20-2010 23:36:34 | More by phideltashaggy
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.7/5  rDev -5.9%

Received a plethora of extras in a great trade with GeezLynn.. Thanks a ton Geoff!! This one was not on my radar. Shared with a colleague from a competitor.

Pours with a foamy 1" white head... dies pretty quickly.. very clear polished golden.. descent lacing.

Nose shows a nice malt profile with a seemingly American hoppiness.. not big "C" hops, yet somehow definitely American... pine with some pretty thick hay

Nice bitterness quickly melts into a pretty heavy malt profile.. not "sweet", just malty... hops are grassy and fruity.. lite hints of citrus with some tropical elements.. The thicker body belies the hidden alcohol.. The EtOH shows in a distinct burn down the gullet.. I would have liked a touch more carbonation..

Interesting for sure... an nice late (very late) night summer beer.. Glad I had the chance to try this one pretty fresh... Thanks again Geoff.. I hope you like your box as much as I loved mine.

3.5/4/3.5/3.5/4

09-19-2010 05:58:06 | More by JohnGalt1
Ryan011235

4.58/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured into a snifter on 9/7/10

"Good call on this one" to PDXHops for sending this great beer that would have otherwise never been on my radar. Thanks Jeff!

Bright & hazy golden tangerine in color with pineapple highlights. Poured one finger of white foam that dropped considerably, though it holds a slim layer. Decent lace so far, but it doesn't look like it will last. Head retention is but a skim & lacing is at a minimum.

I really like the aroma of this one. It exhibits prairie-like notions of grass, hay, lemongrass & herbal wisps. Suggestions of apples. Distinctive notes of toasted grain. It's clean but at 9% abv it shows it's magnitude, though it doesn't at all smell boozy. Floral overtones & modestly spicy hops. Very subtle citric twinge.

Magnum IP tastes quite good, if structured a bit differently from the aroma. The flavor is incredibly grainy; some choice malts must have gone in this. Light grassy & earth tones around the edges. Quite floral; not too much in the way of citric hops (maybe a spritz of lemon zest) nor is it very bitter. Just enough hop bite to motivate the grainy aspect. The flavor profile is pretty clean, too; gets just a touch muddled as it warms up. Again, the alcohol is very well hidden.

The great structure of this beer makes it seem lighter than it is. I could call it robust or dense (accurate enough for the style) but that isn't quite a fair translation. Magnum IP is nimble regardless. Carbonation is [somewhat surprisingly] low. Graininess is such that is embodies the feel of the beer. The modest bitterness & carbonation seem specifically designed to to aide the graininess as it rolls o'er the tongue. Clean residual flavors linger long on the finish.

Truth be told, drinkability is quite high. I'm not entirely convinced this is 9% abv. More like 7-7.5% abv. Whatever. I suppose toward the end of the bottle the abv is more apparent. I'm not sure about the 100 IBUs either, but no matter. The best Imperial Pilsner I've had. Seek it out if you like the style.

09-08-2010 02:25:49 | More by Ryan011235
callmemickey

3.55/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pale yellow body. Crystal clear. Moderate sized white head. Nice and fluffy. Decent retention with some spotty lacing left on the sides of the glass.

S: Grassy, with some citrus and a subtle slightly sweet toasty malt base.

T: Very much like the nose, a toasted malt cracker like base is accentuated by a grassy - citrus bitterness. A little more hop flavor and depth would have done wonders here.

M: Light to medium bodied. Assertive carbonation. You can taste some booze through it all. Semi-dry finish. Not super refreshing, but a nice crispness is here.

D: A decent brew, but it doesn't quite capitalize on all that can be done within the style. The hoppiness isn't distinctive enough here.

09-04-2010 00:21:11 | More by callmemickey
mullenite

3.7/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured a nice yellow color with a two finger white head. Some lacing left on the glass but not a whole lot. There was a also a bit of chill haze present. Based on the appearance you couldn't tell this beer from any other full-bodied pilsner on the market.

Smell was nice and hoppy but in a different way than, say, an IPA or Pale Ale. The Cascade is really evident with it's almost flowery citrus component.

Taste is really similar to the smell which kind of hurts it. It lacks any kind of punch or bitterness but has loads of hop flavor which makes the beer seem sweet.

Nice medium body with some slight alcohol heat as it warms.

Overall a good beer but not one I'll be buying again. It just needs another dimension in the taste to go from good to great.

08-30-2010 16:08:45 | More by mullenite
ectomorph

4.03/5  rDev +2.5%

Bomber split with a friend, poured into a Pilsner glass. The bottle shows that it's 100 IBU and 9% ABV.

A - Bright yellow and gold blended body has good clarity, but an oiliness from the hops and alcohol. White head forms thick, and fades to a nice ring leaving good lacing behind.

S - Clean, with citrus hops and fresh cracker maltiness. Alcohol is also noted here as it begins to warm.

T - Holy Hoppy Pilsner Batman!! The 100 IBU's is no joke. This is an IPA of an IP!! Great upfront bitterness is an attention grabber, but doesn't destroy the tongue. Big malt backbone is just enough to showcase the Cascade and Sterling hops.

M - Medium body, the alcohol warms the back of the throat on the way down, but not hot.

D - The 9% ABV is very well hidden here, and you may find yourself thinking you can have a few of these, but the truth is you will be shmammered if you try it.

08-20-2010 13:12:40 | More by ectomorph