Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale - SweetWater Brewing Company

SweetWater Brewing Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-29-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,977 | Reviews: 722

This is by far my favorite beer.

Taste is set to please. An EPA that I can turn to all the time. Sweetwater releases many beers over time, but 420 is my all time favorite beer.

Great bitter up front with a nice mellow finish. I have been drinking this stuff since I moved to Georgia about 4 years ago. It was my first non-commercial beer and has been my favorite ever since.

Don't Float the Mainstream!!!

4.77/5  rDev +31.4%

Thanks to Steve at www.tobp.com for the beer trade.

I love this beer. There is nothing of this quality available in Oklahoma (in the blonde ale category, where this really belongs). Pours to a generous white head and deep golden-amber color. Aroma is predominately sweet malt backed up with floral American hops. Flavor is malty with just enough hop bitterness and flavor to balance it and make it a remarkable drink. Feels good in the mouth and finishes malty, dry with lingering hop flavor. This is an extremely well made beer. Obviously the folks at Sweetwater are competent and conscientous brewers.

4.75/5  rDev +30.9%

I love this beer. It's one of my favorites. I keep it on tap.

4.74/5  rDev +30.6%

Very good ale!! I had it tonight on the wonderful saint pattys day at a bar. Appearance was nice with a foam that didn't go away through the whole the whole thing. Smell was great it smelled strong of hops. The taste was very good with a true taste of hops. The mouthfeel is great very expectable with a extra pale ale. It has a great drinkability that you will surely enjoy. Yet again the ATL Georgia is on the map. Well world I say try this beer!!!

4.72/5  rDev +30%

Poured a pale golden into a mug with quickly disappearing fluffy white head.

A- Nice for a pale, small retaining white foam.
S-Citrusy hops, something else a little fruitish
T-Clean, slight citrusy hops especially in the finish. Refreshing.
M-Heavier carbonation than expected (pleasant though)
O-One of my favorite beers of the style. Good paired with almost any food, flavorful but still refreshing.

4.7/5  rDev +29.5%

Pours a golden yellow with a fizzy white head.

Smells of rich malts and slightly sweet esters.

Smooth. Oh this is smooth. Deliciously blended malt to hop balance. Nice rich body and just the right amount of hops to top this off. Some pear, apple and a nice hop bitterness in the finish that tingles the tongue.

Mouthfeel is spot on. Just a great malty/bready feel that is hard to do.

Aftertaste has a nice sharp finish with some pine, citrus, and light fruity esters left on the palate. Splendid.

4.7/5  rDev +29.5%

One of my favorites. The extra pale makes it very mild in terms of bitter hoppiness

4.67/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a very clear orange with a half finger of white head.

Smell is earthy, citrus, slight pine, caramel, Simcoe hops maybe?

Taste is really, really good, malt and citrus hops play off each other the whole way down. Lemon, tangerine, floral notes, citrus rind, bready, caramel, just really complex stuff for being 5.4 abv.

Mouthfeel is a little fuller then most pales, still goes down easy, medium dryness on the finish, went down quick.

Wow if I could get Sweetwater here this would be a regular pick up for me. Really well done stuff. I guess this goes to show that BA ratings are all subjective... This gets a 83???? I enjoyed this a lot more then some of the top APAs I have had. My hat is off to you Sweetwater!

4.61/5  rDev +27%

The taste is phenomenal. Lately one of the closest taste I've experienced between bottled and draft.

4.6/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Clear yellowish-gold with a nice pillowy ivory head. Citrusy hoppy aroma which turns more fruity and piney with a bit of time. Nice citrusy hop flavor. Light bodied (leans medium with a light creaminess) with a crisp bitter finish.

A very nice session beer !

Per S.B.Co. website: 2002 GABF - Silver

Enjoy by: 2nd Week, Jan ('03)
Tasted: 11/15/02

4.54/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The best session able apa in Georgia. Get it in the cans or on draft for the best ride :-)

4.5/5  rDev +24%

As far as pale ales go, this is a good one. I live in Michigan, but lived in Georgia for 3 years so got my first taste of this from draft and it was great. Any time I visit GA or have anyone from GA coming to MI, I request 2-3 cases to come with them for a visit.

4.5/5  rDev +24%

L: Poured a 1inch of fluffy white head, with a honey colored body, and as you drink, there is a good amount of lacing around the glass. S: Nice hoppy aroma.MF: Smooth with medium carbonation. T: A great bitter taste throughout the drink, with a very mellow sweet grains-like balance, and with each sip there is a wonderful clean finish. Overall, a great IPA!

4.5/5  rDev +24%

Recently started to try this.... so far, so good

Love it.

4.47/5  rDev +23.1%

From a fresh bottle, 2 weeks old. Gotta love their dating system!

Sweetwater's 420 Extra Pale Ale pours a hazy orange-amber body with golden highlights beneath a frothy 3/4" head of off-white foam. The head holds well and eventually drops but leaves a complete surface covering and some nice lace about the glass. Very nice.The aroma offers bright, fresh, floral & citrusy hops over a sweet, doughy maltiness. The body is medium with a delicate, fine, natural carbonation. The flavor delivers a combination of lightly tangy, citrusy and floral hop flavors and a bready, caramel & biscuit maltiness backed by a firm bitterness. It finishes dry with a short lingering hoppy bitterness and a residual bready/biscuity maltiness. Very well balanced. Nicely malty and hoppy. Highly drinkable.

4.47/5  rDev +23.1%

This is one of the best beers I have ever had, to me it leaned more to the IPA side than the pale but I'm not complaining. Excellent hoppy aroma deep golden color and a taste to die for. This is for sure in my top 10.............CHEERS

4.46/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Damn good beer...can't get it in Philly.

4.45/5  rDev +22.6%

I loved this beer. It was the only of their line that I was yet to try. I was highly impressed with all of their others as well. The only one I liked better was the Blue. But this beer was a slight amber color. It had a very crisp hop flavor, which I loved. The smell was a very hoppy with some slight citrus in there.

4.45/5  rDev +22.6%

This poured light orange and had one finger of head that didn't last. This was very refreshing and easy to drink. Hops and floral come out in the smell and taste. I noticed that it was a little more malty than other pale ales that I've testy, which is nice for a change. It relatively light bodied, making it easy to have several of these in a sitting without making yourself feel like a sausage.

4.44/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What I love about this beer is the drinkability. Light and flavorful,this beer is perfect any time of the year but especially a hot day on the beach in the summer. Leaves a small pale ale taste in your mouth. The smell isn't strong but has a good flavor over all. Overall one of my favorite beers around.

4.43/5  rDev +22%

Appearance - pours a deep honey gold color into the Sammy glass. Lots of etching-induced bead feeding a solid head of white creamy foam. Excellent lacing all around the glass, leaving a baby-swiss-like pattern.

Aroma - fresh grapefruit juice immediately. Fades a little but still has a great fresh smell. No malt presence but I don't mind.

Taste - good biscuity grain underneath, slightly sweet. The hops are in ideal balance, taking over on a sweet juicy angle, then segueing into a more intense grapfruit rind on the swallow. Dries out on the finish, bitterness is still slightly fruity.

Mouthfeel - crisp, points of smoothness and maybe more body than you'd expect in an 'extra pale' ale.

Drinkability - super stuff, a great session brew.

4.43/5  rDev +22%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Great beer paired with pizza

4.4/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I've been enjoying this brew since moving down South last Fall, but up until this point only in bottles. Got tired of paying an average of $9.00 for a six-pack so I made the investment and looked into acquiring a kegerator.

Picked up a 1/6 barrel yesterday. Phenomenal. I was hesitant to commit to a beer that I would be drinking on-tap for a few months, but I made the right choice. After having a Sweetwater 420 in a bottle the day before I picked up the keg, I can honestly say there is a substantial taste difference. Just an overall impression of a fresher taste. Bottles were fine, but the keg is much better (and more cost-effective if you enjoy this beer regularly).

Excellent head when poured correctly. What I love about this beer is its subtle uniqueness. Once the liquid hits your lips it tells you that its better than your average brew and its mouthfeel says "hey, I'm very drinkable." Don't get me wrong, I love all kinds of beers but its a special thing when you find something that reminds you of an old friend.

I've been looking for an "everyday" craft brew for quite a while and so far Sweetwater 420 fits the bill.

4.4/5  rDev +21.2%

Pours out a nice light orangish golden hazy color with a thick white head.

Smell. Nice and hoppy. Light lemony citrus aroma like cascade hops, quite nice.

Taste. A very nice flavor of hops here. the taste is overall the cascade hops, but nice and smoothe. Citrusy with a nice malt backbone. Aftertaste is slightly tart.

Mouthfeel is very nice. Good and full mouthfeel, especially for the style. Very smoothe and creamy as well. carbonation is good. very nice

Overall a great beer! I think i could have this over and over agian and never get tired! I love the hop characteristic and i think the mouthfeel being so creamy and full is top-notch! I love this beer!

Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale from SweetWater Brewing Company