Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale - SweetWater Brewing Company

SweetWater Brewing Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-29-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 704 | Hads: 3,173

This is by far my favorite beer.

Taste is set to please. An EPA that I can turn to all the time. Sweetwater releases many beers over time, but 420 is my all time favorite beer.

Great bitter up front with a nice mellow finish. I have been drinking this stuff since I moved to Georgia about 4 years ago. It was my first non-commercial beer and has been my favorite ever since.

Don't Float the Mainstream!!!

4.77/5  rDev +31%

Thanks to Steve at www.tobp.com for the beer trade.

I love this beer. There is nothing of this quality available in Oklahoma (in the blonde ale category, where this really belongs). Pours to a generous white head and deep golden-amber color. Aroma is predominately sweet malt backed up with floral American hops. Flavor is malty with just enough hop bitterness and flavor to balance it and make it a remarkable drink. Feels good in the mouth and finishes malty, dry with lingering hop flavor. This is an extremely well made beer. Obviously the folks at Sweetwater are competent and conscientous brewers.

4.74/5  rDev +30.2%

Very good ale!! I had it tonight on the wonderful saint pattys day at a bar. Appearance was nice with a foam that didn't go away through the whole the whole thing. Smell was great it smelled strong of hops. The taste was very good with a true taste of hops. The mouthfeel is great very expectable with a extra pale ale. It has a great drinkability that you will surely enjoy. Yet again the ATL Georgia is on the map. Well world I say try this beer!!!

4.72/5  rDev +29.7%

Poured a pale golden into a mug with quickly disappearing fluffy white head.

A- Nice for a pale, small retaining white foam.
S-Citrusy hops, something else a little fruitish
T-Clean, slight citrusy hops especially in the finish. Refreshing.
M-Heavier carbonation than expected (pleasant though)
O-One of my favorite beers of the style. Good paired with almost any food, flavorful but still refreshing.

4.7/5  rDev +29.1%

Pours a golden yellow with a fizzy white head.

Smells of rich malts and slightly sweet esters.

Smooth. Oh this is smooth. Deliciously blended malt to hop balance. Nice rich body and just the right amount of hops to top this off. Some pear, apple and a nice hop bitterness in the finish that tingles the tongue.

Mouthfeel is spot on. Just a great malty/bready feel that is hard to do.

Aftertaste has a nice sharp finish with some pine, citrus, and light fruity esters left on the palate. Splendid.

4.67/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a very clear orange with a half finger of white head.

Smell is earthy, citrus, slight pine, caramel, Simcoe hops maybe?

Taste is really, really good, malt and citrus hops play off each other the whole way down. Lemon, tangerine, floral notes, citrus rind, bready, caramel, just really complex stuff for being 5.4 abv.

Mouthfeel is a little fuller then most pales, still goes down easy, medium dryness on the finish, went down quick.

Wow if I could get Sweetwater here this would be a regular pick up for me. Really well done stuff. I guess this goes to show that BA ratings are all subjective... This gets a 83???? I enjoyed this a lot more then some of the top APAs I have had. My hat is off to you Sweetwater!

4.6/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Clear yellowish-gold with a nice pillowy ivory head. Citrusy hoppy aroma which turns more fruity and piney with a bit of time. Nice citrusy hop flavor. Light bodied (leans medium with a light creaminess) with a crisp bitter finish.

A very nice session beer !

Per S.B.Co. website: 2002 GABF - Silver

Enjoy by: 2nd Week, Jan ('03)
Tasted: 11/15/02

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

As far as pale ales go, this is a good one. I live in Michigan, but lived in Georgia for 3 years so got my first taste of this from draft and it was great. Any time I visit GA or have anyone from GA coming to MI, I request 2-3 cases to come with them for a visit.

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

L: Poured a 1inch of fluffy white head, with a honey colored body, and as you drink, there is a good amount of lacing around the glass. S: Nice hoppy aroma.MF: Smooth with medium carbonation. T: A great bitter taste throughout the drink, with a very mellow sweet grains-like balance, and with each sip there is a wonderful clean finish. Overall, a great IPA!

4.47/5  rDev +22.8%

From a fresh bottle, 2 weeks old. Gotta love their dating system!

Sweetwater's 420 Extra Pale Ale pours a hazy orange-amber body with golden highlights beneath a frothy 3/4" head of off-white foam. The head holds well and eventually drops but leaves a complete surface covering and some nice lace about the glass. Very nice.The aroma offers bright, fresh, floral & citrusy hops over a sweet, doughy maltiness. The body is medium with a delicate, fine, natural carbonation. The flavor delivers a combination of lightly tangy, citrusy and floral hop flavors and a bready, caramel & biscuit maltiness backed by a firm bitterness. It finishes dry with a short lingering hoppy bitterness and a residual bready/biscuity maltiness. Very well balanced. Nicely malty and hoppy. Highly drinkable.

4.47/5  rDev +22.8%

This is one of the best beers I have ever had, to me it leaned more to the IPA side than the pale but I'm not complaining. Excellent hoppy aroma deep golden color and a taste to die for. This is for sure in my top 10.............CHEERS

4.45/5  rDev +22.3%

I loved this beer. It was the only of their line that I was yet to try. I was highly impressed with all of their others as well. The only one I liked better was the Blue. But this beer was a slight amber color. It had a very crisp hop flavor, which I loved. The smell was a very hoppy with some slight citrus in there.

4.45/5  rDev +22.3%

This poured light orange and had one finger of head that didn't last. This was very refreshing and easy to drink. Hops and floral come out in the smell and taste. I noticed that it was a little more malty than other pale ales that I've testy, which is nice for a change. It relatively light bodied, making it easy to have several of these in a sitting without making yourself feel like a sausage.

4.44/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What I love about this beer is the drinkability. Light and flavorful,this beer is perfect any time of the year but especially a hot day on the beach in the summer. Leaves a small pale ale taste in your mouth. The smell isn't strong but has a good flavor over all. Overall one of my favorite beers around.

4.43/5  rDev +21.7%

Appearance - pours a deep honey gold color into the Sammy glass. Lots of etching-induced bead feeding a solid head of white creamy foam. Excellent lacing all around the glass, leaving a baby-swiss-like pattern.

Aroma - fresh grapefruit juice immediately. Fades a little but still has a great fresh smell. No malt presence but I don't mind.

Taste - good biscuity grain underneath, slightly sweet. The hops are in ideal balance, taking over on a sweet juicy angle, then segueing into a more intense grapfruit rind on the swallow. Dries out on the finish, bitterness is still slightly fruity.

Mouthfeel - crisp, points of smoothness and maybe more body than you'd expect in an 'extra pale' ale.

Drinkability - super stuff, a great session brew.

4.4/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I've been enjoying this brew since moving down South last Fall, but up until this point only in bottles. Got tired of paying an average of $9.00 for a six-pack so I made the investment and looked into acquiring a kegerator.

Picked up a 1/6 barrel yesterday. Phenomenal. I was hesitant to commit to a beer that I would be drinking on-tap for a few months, but I made the right choice. After having a Sweetwater 420 in a bottle the day before I picked up the keg, I can honestly say there is a substantial taste difference. Just an overall impression of a fresher taste. Bottles were fine, but the keg is much better (and more cost-effective if you enjoy this beer regularly).

Excellent head when poured correctly. What I love about this beer is its subtle uniqueness. Once the liquid hits your lips it tells you that its better than your average brew and its mouthfeel says "hey, I'm very drinkable." Don't get me wrong, I love all kinds of beers but its a special thing when you find something that reminds you of an old friend.

I've been looking for an "everyday" craft brew for quite a while and so far Sweetwater 420 fits the bill.

4.4/5  rDev +20.9%

Pours out a nice light orangish golden hazy color with a thick white head.

Smell. Nice and hoppy. Light lemony citrus aroma like cascade hops, quite nice.

Taste. A very nice flavor of hops here. the taste is overall the cascade hops, but nice and smoothe. Citrusy with a nice malt backbone. Aftertaste is slightly tart.

Mouthfeel is very nice. Good and full mouthfeel, especially for the style. Very smoothe and creamy as well. carbonation is good. very nice

Overall a great beer! I think i could have this over and over agian and never get tired! I love the hop characteristic and i think the mouthfeel being so creamy and full is top-notch! I love this beer!

4.37/5  rDev +20.1%

Honey colored with a white frothy head - wish it stuck around a bit longer. Smell is pale malts, very sweet, and a crisp hop aroma. The taste is fantastic. I admit, I'm partial to this brew - it's my favorite local beer and has been for years. It just hits me right. A crisp bitterness hits first, followed by a good depth of malt character, and then a fruity dry finish. I love it. This is my definition of a great session beer - it's interesting enough to drink for hours, but not overwhelming, filling, or overly intoxicating.

4.35/5  rDev +19.5%

This is nice light refreshing extra pale ale. I had this in Atlanta , GA, at a bar in the Lowes' Hotel off of the airport, "Martini's". I had the first pour out of the draft. This beer had good look, but great drinkability. Smooth and tasty. They kept me coming back for the duration on my trip..

4.35/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Have had a ton of this beer! Highly recommend. As most of all sweetwater beers are amazing. It's starting to get more and more popular in bars and restaurants as far as the taps go. You can find it in just about any beer store in the southeast. If you see it try it.

4.34/5  rDev +19.2%

I really like this, very similar to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I like Sierra Nevada okay, but like Sweet Water even better. The bottle said extra pale ale, so I was expecting the bitterness to be stronger than Sierra Nevada. I was wrong, the bitterness in Sweet Water is just right. Tasted superb start to finish. This will be my go to Pale Ale until I find something better.

4.34/5  rDev +19.2%

Review from notes. Enjoyed by me on Christmas Day 2009. Poured from the 12 oz. bottle that my brother in law Steven brought back from Atlanta into my father in law's Ray's standard pint glass. Thanks Steven.

A Creamy off white head, translucent light brown body. Kind of a basic look. 3.0

S Peppery, spicy notes with some hops in an ultimately very interesting smell. 4.0

T Light hops with that great peppery, light spice presence that makes this beer very interesting. None of the bitterness of some other beers in this style. 4.5

M Minimal citrus like bitterness but it is a welcome one that increases this mouthfeel and makes it one that I really like. 4.0

D Really, cannot be improved. I finished my pint in short order and could have had several more. 5.0

Notes: My favorite session beer and I only can get it some of the time...such is the fate of a BA.

4.33/5  rDev +19%

Sweetwater 420 is an amazing beer from an amazing brewery. Smack dab in the middle of industrial Atlanta this brewery wows the southeast with its delightful brews. Sweetwater 420 is a rich and tasty pale ale that will cause you to ask that time honored question: "Did I drink all those already??"

4.32/5  rDev +18.7%

Another selection from my micro brew of the month club. I grew up in Atlanta, and moved to Minnesota before they started bottling, so this one is sort of sentimental for me. A brew from home, so to speak.

12 oz bottle notched 3rd week in April, poured into a pint glass

A—pours hazy burnt orange with 1 inch foamy white head, disappears rather quickly, leaving a thin sheet of bubbles on the top, a little bit of lacing develops down the side of the glass as I drink it

S—typical of an EPA, hops and malts, strong citrus, pine notes, fruity

T—the hops and malts are balanced perfectly, finishes a tad dry, not as bold as other EPAs I’ve tried, very fruity

M—medium bodied, smooth and mellow, nice carbonation

D—a fine EPA, but not as bold as some others, which is hitting me very well right now. I wish I had more than the three that came in the pack. A great session brew. Note: yes, a little bit of sentimentalness in the review, but who cares? It’s my opinion, right?

4.3/5  rDev +18.1%

Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale brewed by SweetWater Brewing Company. This brew has an ABV of 5.40% The pour on this brew is a nice amber color with a smell white head.
Sweetwater 420 is a filtered brew, you can see right though it. The smell is rich with hops and grains. You also pick up on some malts in the smell of this brew. Now for the taste, it is bold with flavor. There is a lot going on in this brew. Hops is the first thing you pick up on, but it is not over powering to brew. The mouthfeel is, bitter, but smooth. Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale has a nice balance to it there is nothing overpowering in this brew. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4.25 out of 5.

Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale from SweetWater Brewing Company