Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale - SweetWater Brewing Company

SweetWater Brewing Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-29-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 695 | Hads: 3,104
4.23/5  rDev +16.2%

First off, to those that complain it isn't bitter enough. It's not supposed to be. This is an APA not an IPA. This has flavor aside from just hops.

This is quite possibly the best beer I have ever bought at the price I paid for it. I paid less for a 12 pack of this than I did for a 6 pack of Sierra Nevada and I like this better! In some ways this beer runs quite a few parallels to the American Amber Ale territory and I'm quite okay with that! There are toasty malts, no adjunct flavors that I could detect, and wonderful pine/citrus cascade or noble hops. The flavors strike an almost even 50/50 balance, with a little bit of a sweet albeit dry finish. The mouth feel is thin as a pale ale should be and it lends itself really well to the overall character of this brew. I can't be happier with this beer. Will buy again! (and again, and again..)

4.22/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Overall, a very balanced and tasty Pale Ale. I have had this beer in bottles, cans, and on draft. The flavor is always consistent. It's hoppy but without it ruining your palate. The mouthfeel is also light and not too overwhelming. Sweetwater 420 is probably one of my go-to local craft beers I'll order, especially if I don't see anything else appealing on a beer list.

4.13/5  rDev +13.5%

Hell of a good beer to drink out of the can on a hot day at the Georgia Renaissance Festival. Since I could not pour it into a glass, not sure about the look or the smell, but it sure is a flavorful, balanced, chewy, and refreshing beer. Turkey legs and funnel fries were good companions.

3.45/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

On Tap at Longhorn in Dalton, GA. Pours orange with fluffy white head and nice lacing. Aroma is of ripe fruit, bready malt and hint of hops. Body is medium and slightly crisp. Herbal hops, bready malt and ripe fruit fill the mouth. Finish is long and dry. OK brew.

3.66/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured a clear light amber color with a finger width foamy head. Head retention is decent. Lacing is mild. Aroma isn't very strong. Mainly bready. Maybe some slight citrus. Mainly bready taste with a slight hoppy bitterness at the end. Light bodied. There is a hint of citrus in the aftertaste. Decent beer. Definitely something I would bring a 6 pack of to a party.

3.59/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Very good medium range beer, I was very pleasantly surprised, nice clean golden colour, with a clean white head, cabonation just right to make it a very easy drinkable beer, fruity smell, a little weak but ok, taste sweet, fruity and easy, with just a little bitter finish which I enjoy. Greatly surprised. Very good EPA

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Dipping into one of Chicagoland's newest distributed breweries with their incredibly clever and mature pale ale. It pours a clear honey-brass topped by a finger of dirty white foam. The nose comprises mandarin oranges, light powdered sugar, and a hint of sweet biscuit. The taste holds notes of orange peel, mild grapefruit rind, caramel, pine resin, and a vague notion of pinot grigio in the background. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a drying finish. Overall, a nice enough pale ale, nothing special, but revisitable to a point.

3.85/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4/19/15 (Bottle) - Nice golden brown pour, with a generous white pillow head and decent carbonation. Floral aroma with strong hops scent. Taste is bitter and pleasant, distinct hops with a pine and citrus taste. Very dry going down. Overall very good EPA.

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with a slightly orange hue and a frothy head of foam.

Biscuity toasted malt, grain, subtle citrus, slightly grassy/floral.

Grassy/earthy hop resin sits abed a bready toasted malt backbone.

Light-bodied, medium-high carbonation, lager-like smoothness, very creamy and refreshing.

Overall, while aroma and flavor are light, the creamy smoothness of the mouthfeel keeps this interesting and going back for another sip.

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

Surprisingly bland. I bought into the blanket the market hype. Should have read up first. In a blind taste test it could be a domestic lager almost. Semi sweet, very little hop bite.

3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

12 oz. bottle, with enjoy by date 06/11/2015 printed on the label. SweetWater just began distributing to my area, so this is my first beer from this brewery. Pretty sure this is also my first beer from Georgia. No abv listed on the bottle anywhere that I can see. Identifies itself as an 'extra pale ale'.

Poured into a Lagunitas mason jar.

A - It pours a hazy semi-translucent orange body with about two to three fingers of thick frothy white foam head. Leaves lots of good fluffy lacing behind.

S - A fairly subdued aroma, but it need not be overwhelming. Grainy malt presence with a restrained piney earthy hop backbone. A touch of honeyed sweetness.

T - Taste follows the nose: a simple, easy-drinking pale ale. Caramel / honey / bread malts, with a restrained piney, earthy, lightly bitter hop profile. Lightly bubblegummy yeast presence is also noted.

M - The feel is probably the best thing about the beer itself - smooth & clean, light-bodied & easy-drinking, with excellent carbonation. A perfect 'session' ale.

Overall, a nice first offering to me from SweetWater. I could definitely see this one being an all-day-drinking type of beer for hot summer days. Looking forward to more from this brewery.

SweetWater 420 Extra Pale Ale -----4/5.

3.48/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I really want to love Sweetwater because it's easy for me to find here in VA. But it just isn't in the cards. I will happily drink their beers when offered, but there are many better options available.

2.71/5  rDev -25.5%

Nothing to write home about. Not pleasant on the nose and lacks any real hoppy taste that I enjoy regarding IPA. Taste is average. I've bought it a few times when building a 6-pack, but likely won't venture to it again. It's just okay.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

There are better extra pale ales out there but this will do if you are in the Atlanta area. Not a bad beer, decent taste for sure. The marketing is highly amusing too!

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

an in depth review is not nesc. (refer to rating) I wasn't a big fan of this beer, but it wasn't bad by any means. That coming from a guy who isn't really in to hoppy beers. love the label. love the look

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale - SweetWater Brewing Company. Poured from a tall can into a glass, this has got a d finger thick head with lacing, and a body,

I smell west coast hops, nothing really resembling cannabis despite the name of this product.

Tastes like the classic grapefruit notes of a west coast IPA, but this does not bring forth bitterness and gets rounded off mid palate by earthy malts. This is a pretty refreshing.

The mouthfeel I'm getting here is clean and smooth. No lingering taste.

Overall, I'll give Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale - SweetWater Brewing Company a 4.25. This is a quenching brew that I'll probably grab again.

4.3/5  rDev +18.1%

Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale brewed by SweetWater Brewing Company. This brew has an ABV of 5.40% The pour on this brew is a nice amber color with a smell white head.
Sweetwater 420 is a filtered brew, you can see right though it. The smell is rich with hops and grains. You also pick up on some malts in the smell of this brew. Now for the taste, it is bold with flavor. There is a lot going on in this brew. Hops is the first thing you pick up on, but it is not over powering to brew. The mouthfeel is, bitter, but smooth. Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale has a nice balance to it there is nothing overpowering in this brew. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4.25 out of 5.

3.8/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours golden with lots of sediment white head well retained, smells of yeasts bready malts and hops, tastes of cool malts and then spicy citrusy floral hops smooth mouthfeel lasting finish.

2.82/5  rDev -22.5%

Highly average pale ale. Look, smell and feel are on point, in line with what you'd expect from a straight-forward pale ale, though nothing really noteworthy that stands out. But the taste is very single-note, sharply bitter in an unpleasant way, not pleasantly hoppy.

3.91/5  rDev +7.4%

I am really surprised to see this one rated as low as it is. I mean, a nice crisp citrusy low alcohol American pale that's balanced without being heavy, distinct on the hops, and about as refreshing as one could imagine. Deliciously fresh, bursting with lemony hop aromatics and a hint of orange zest to the taste, great hot weather session beer, and I think easily my favorite beer I have had from these guys. No caramel malts getting in the way, it stays nice and light. Pale, like a pale ale should be but so few really are anymore, not trying to do too much, while simultaneously doing it all. Love it!

3.82/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Miller's Ale House in Jacksonville, FL.

Pours a golden amber, with a one inch head, and a little bit of lacing.

Smells pretty potent and tasty, with grapefruit, pine, and bready malt.

This isn't the most complex pale ale ever, but it gets the job done. Crisp and refreshing, with ample hop flavor, and just enough malt to balance it out.

Like I said above, this one has a really crisp and refreshing mouthfeel, and a higher level of carbonation.

First SweetWater beer- I'm intrigued and want to try more.

3.68/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is decent offering for the style. It is very good on a hot summer day. No significant aroma, slightly hazy, with a foam that sticks around. A little extra hoppy with some florally taste, it's got a bite as it settles in the mouth. Almost sessionable if you need to pick up a 12 or case.

3.79/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Unique and great tasting Pale Ale. Lighter and more hoppy than some other Pale Ales. Love to see the unfiltered sediment. Gets me excited to get to the bottom of the bottle. I would recommend letting the beer warm up if it was in the fridge. Much better at around 45-50 degrees.

3.64/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

No super special here the aroma you get a sweet and floral smell from it.
It pours with about a finger of fluffy off white head.
The taste is a bitter hoppy taste with a smooth sweet finish abv is hidden very well.
Overall it is a good solid beer that I dont mind picking up every once in a while.
Deffintly worth trying if you have not yet done so.

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

Had this on tap at a local restaurant earlier today. The waitress brought it out in a standard pint glass, filled almost up to the rim with just a thin layer of foam on top (though what was there hung around for a little while, gradually getting thinner and then almost going away entirely by the time the glass was nearly empty.)

Looks pretty nice. A bit of truth in advertising here--the color of this "Extra Pale Ale" is indeed paler than other pale ales I've seen pictures of, a clear medium-golden sort of color rather than dark gold bordering on orange/very light brown. It was a good bit lighter in color than the Yuengling my dad ordered. I may have to revise my score for appearance if I get to pour some of this myself and see what the head looks like before it shrinks away.

Smell doesn't blast you with hops from a foot away like an IPA does, but if you take a sniff (or even just move your face close enough to the glass to take a sip) it doesn't take any effort to pick up the pine-like smell. You can tell this is a hoppy beer right away.

There's more flavor than smell to this one. Piney to start with, followed by a little bit of slightly sweet breadiness at the end, leaving very little aftertaste behind (a bit of pine sometimes, but without the strong bitterness that comes along with it in an IPA.) I also picked up a bit of something almost minty-tasting on a few sips, which was interesting; I don't think I've tasted mint in a beer before. Toward the end of the glass you start to get hints of the breadiness again--the piney flavor comes in first, then when that fades away you get a bit of the breadiness and sweetness for just a moment before you're left with maybe a slight piney aftertaste. I was really surprised that I noticed so little bitterness considering how much of the piney and minty hop flavor was present--I kind of expected those two things to go hand in hand based on my experiences with other beers, but this somehow managed to have the hoppy flavors without the bitterness.

Feel was pretty nice. Not too fizzy, but at the same time never seemed watery or at all flat. Like the IPAs I've had, it seemed to clear food tastes off of my tongue when I drank some--particularly effective with the french fries and onion rings, I'd munch on a few fries then take a drink and the greasy salty tastes were completely gone, scrubbed away by piney hops. I don't know if that really falls under the "feel" category, but I had to put it somewhere, heh.

Overall, this was a nice beer to have with lunch, something different than the beers I usually drink that went very nicely with the food (no clashing of flavors noticed, despite how drastically different they were--piney/minty pale ale vs. salty fries and spicy chicken.) I'm glad I ordered it. It's easy to find in stores around here, so it's nice to know if I ever feel like drinking something more hoppy than the usual (and don't want to worry about the high bitterness that tends to come with stronger beers like IPAs) I won't have to go far to find a pint (or a six-pack) of this one.

Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale from SweetWater Brewing Company