Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale - SweetWater Brewing Company

SweetWater Brewing Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-29-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 705 | Hads: 3,175
4.25/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale - SweetWater Brewing Company. Poured from a tall can into a glass, this has got a d finger thick head with lacing, and a body,

I smell west coast hops, nothing really resembling cannabis despite the name of this product.

Tastes like the classic grapefruit notes of a west coast IPA, but this does not bring forth bitterness and gets rounded off mid palate by earthy malts. This is a pretty refreshing.

The mouthfeel I'm getting here is clean and smooth. No lingering taste.

Overall, I'll give Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale - SweetWater Brewing Company a 4.25. This is a quenching brew that I'll probably grab again.

4.3/5  rDev +18.1%

Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale brewed by SweetWater Brewing Company. This brew has an ABV of 5.40% The pour on this brew is a nice amber color with a smell white head.
Sweetwater 420 is a filtered brew, you can see right though it. The smell is rich with hops and grains. You also pick up on some malts in the smell of this brew. Now for the taste, it is bold with flavor. There is a lot going on in this brew. Hops is the first thing you pick up on, but it is not over powering to brew. The mouthfeel is, bitter, but smooth. Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale has a nice balance to it there is nothing overpowering in this brew. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4.25 out of 5.

3.8/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours golden with lots of sediment white head well retained, smells of yeasts bready malts and hops, tastes of cool malts and then spicy citrusy floral hops smooth mouthfeel lasting finish.

2.82/5  rDev -22.5%

Highly average pale ale. Look, smell and feel are on point, in line with what you'd expect from a straight-forward pale ale, though nothing really noteworthy that stands out. But the taste is very single-note, sharply bitter in an unpleasant way, not pleasantly hoppy.

3.91/5  rDev +7.4%

I am really surprised to see this one rated as low as it is. I mean, a nice crisp citrusy low alcohol American pale that's balanced without being heavy, distinct on the hops, and about as refreshing as one could imagine. Deliciously fresh, bursting with lemony hop aromatics and a hint of orange zest to the taste, great hot weather session beer, and I think easily my favorite beer I have had from these guys. No caramel malts getting in the way, it stays nice and light. Pale, like a pale ale should be but so few really are anymore, not trying to do too much, while simultaneously doing it all. Love it!

3.82/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Miller's Ale House in Jacksonville, FL.

Pours a golden amber, with a one inch head, and a little bit of lacing.

Smells pretty potent and tasty, with grapefruit, pine, and bready malt.

This isn't the most complex pale ale ever, but it gets the job done. Crisp and refreshing, with ample hop flavor, and just enough malt to balance it out.

Like I said above, this one has a really crisp and refreshing mouthfeel, and a higher level of carbonation.

First SweetWater beer- I'm intrigued and want to try more.

3.68/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is decent offering for the style. It is very good on a hot summer day. No significant aroma, slightly hazy, with a foam that sticks around. A little extra hoppy with some florally taste, it's got a bite as it settles in the mouth. Almost sessionable if you need to pick up a 12 or case.

3.79/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Unique and great tasting Pale Ale. Lighter and more hoppy than some other Pale Ales. Love to see the unfiltered sediment. Gets me excited to get to the bottom of the bottle. I would recommend letting the beer warm up if it was in the fridge. Much better at around 45-50 degrees.

3.64/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

No super special here the aroma you get a sweet and floral smell from it.
It pours with about a finger of fluffy off white head.
The taste is a bitter hoppy taste with a smooth sweet finish abv is hidden very well.
Overall it is a good solid beer that I dont mind picking up every once in a while.
Deffintly worth trying if you have not yet done so.

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

Had this on tap at a local restaurant earlier today. The waitress brought it out in a standard pint glass, filled almost up to the rim with just a thin layer of foam on top (though what was there hung around for a little while, gradually getting thinner and then almost going away entirely by the time the glass was nearly empty.)

Looks pretty nice. A bit of truth in advertising here--the color of this "Extra Pale Ale" is indeed paler than other pale ales I've seen pictures of, a clear medium-golden sort of color rather than dark gold bordering on orange/very light brown. It was a good bit lighter in color than the Yuengling my dad ordered. I may have to revise my score for appearance if I get to pour some of this myself and see what the head looks like before it shrinks away.

Smell doesn't blast you with hops from a foot away like an IPA does, but if you take a sniff (or even just move your face close enough to the glass to take a sip) it doesn't take any effort to pick up the pine-like smell. You can tell this is a hoppy beer right away.

There's more flavor than smell to this one. Piney to start with, followed by a little bit of slightly sweet breadiness at the end, leaving very little aftertaste behind (a bit of pine sometimes, but without the strong bitterness that comes along with it in an IPA.) I also picked up a bit of something almost minty-tasting on a few sips, which was interesting; I don't think I've tasted mint in a beer before. Toward the end of the glass you start to get hints of the breadiness again--the piney flavor comes in first, then when that fades away you get a bit of the breadiness and sweetness for just a moment before you're left with maybe a slight piney aftertaste. I was really surprised that I noticed so little bitterness considering how much of the piney and minty hop flavor was present--I kind of expected those two things to go hand in hand based on my experiences with other beers, but this somehow managed to have the hoppy flavors without the bitterness.

Feel was pretty nice. Not too fizzy, but at the same time never seemed watery or at all flat. Like the IPAs I've had, it seemed to clear food tastes off of my tongue when I drank some--particularly effective with the french fries and onion rings, I'd munch on a few fries then take a drink and the greasy salty tastes were completely gone, scrubbed away by piney hops. I don't know if that really falls under the "feel" category, but I had to put it somewhere, heh.

Overall, this was a nice beer to have with lunch, something different than the beers I usually drink that went very nicely with the food (no clashing of flavors noticed, despite how drastically different they were--piney/minty pale ale vs. salty fries and spicy chicken.) I'm glad I ordered it. It's easy to find in stores around here, so it's nice to know if I ever feel like drinking something more hoppy than the usual (and don't want to worry about the high bitterness that tends to come with stronger beers like IPAs) I won't have to go far to find a pint (or a six-pack) of this one.

3.99/5  rDev +9.6%

Copper/gold in color with a decent head and suspended sediment in the glass after a hard pour.
Aroma-Piney hops, fruit
Taste-Tropical fruit, piney hops, bitter edge throughout. Overall nice flavor and character

3.67/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is a very common beer in Florida. I finally picked one up. Most stores sale 6-packs, but I finally found one that sells them loose. It's similar to Sierra Pale Ale, but a bit more dry. Pretty solid beer. Mine was pretty close to it's expiration date. Had it been fresh and on draught, it could have scored even higher in my book. As it was, not a bad option.

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

L: Poured a 1inch of fluffy white head, with a honey colored body, and as you drink, there is a good amount of lacing around the glass. S: Nice hoppy aroma.MF: Smooth with medium carbonation. T: A great bitter taste throughout the drink, with a very mellow sweet grains-like balance, and with each sip there is a wonderful clean finish. Overall, a great IPA!

3.36/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours orange with a white head. Aroma is ya touch dank and fruity with some sweet cereal graininess. Flavor follows suit but a little muted compared to aroma. A creamy mouthful. Overall, decent. Not one I need again but one I could drink again.

My rating: 3.35

3.54/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A hazy dark straw gold. Lots of good stuff on top that leaves good lacing and stays quite a while. Aromas of caramel and citrus. Some roasted grains. Taste is a bready front with a fast transition to a tight bitterness. Finish is short and clean with a light linger of bread. Crisp medium feel perfect carbonation. A hold solid brew. You can keep this one on hand for whatever.

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

As far as pale ales go, this is a good one. I live in Michigan, but lived in Georgia for 3 years so got my first taste of this from draft and it was great. Any time I visit GA or have anyone from GA coming to MI, I request 2-3 cases to come with them for a visit.

4.1/5  rDev +12.6%

I was almost ambushed by this beer. I was at Atlanta International Airport in a bar, and asked the bartender for something local so he pours me one of these....

Well, now anytime I down south I try to pick up this number. Its not the most crafty of craft beers, but I absolutely enjoy it.

It definitely has a fruity side but its an overall great summer beer. If you're planning to drink out of the bottle, give this one a consideration!

4.27/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: I was drinking this on tap at a cool eatery in Front Royal, VA. The place was dimly lit, but the golden color definitely comes through well. A nice, frothy head that dissolves quickly.

Smell: Light, almost breathy, with a little sweet, a little malty mixed together.

Taste: Not bad, very smooth, with a light, grassiness to it. Am I standing in a meadow? No, but the thought crossed my mind for a second.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, smooth. Good.

Overall: A well-made Extra Pale Ale. I liked it overall, and it added to the atmosphere of the place where I was eating. I had this with quail. A good combination. I'd definitely get it again. Lovely on tap.

4.1/5  rDev +12.6%

12 oz bottle. best by 12/01. hazy golden color. about a finger of head dissipated quickly. medium bodied, smooth-very quaffable(word?). bold citrusy hops, a little floral. biscuity/bready malt balances nicely. a few of these would be great by the grill in the summer.

2.98/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.75

Best by 12/28/14. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours golden with a subtle haze; some sediment floating around; fluffy white head that fades and leaves nice retention and sticky lacing. The aromas are faint with lots of grass. Lots of malts. There's not much of a hoppy/fruity presence. The flavors are very sharp and crisp. Very earthy. More grass. Hints of pine. Clean, but boring. Mouthfeel is great. It's light with active carbonation. Very smooth and easy to drink.

This beer is well crafted, but the aromas and flavors don't get me overly excited. Yes, they stay true to style. It's not bad, but it's not memorable and there are many other examples of the style that I personally enjoy more.

3.74/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle best by 12/28/14 poured into a pint glass
A: Transparent light orange with a 1/2-finger head
S: Light notes of floral, citrus, pine, caramel and sweet malt
T: The notes largely match the nose, though not to the same depth. Not much finish
F: Light, crisp and refreshing
O: A bit simple compared to many of the bold ales out there these days but at the same time it's nice to be able to relax with a beer that's tasty and not over the top

3.75/5  rDev +3%

Appearance: golden with a hint of orange color; big frothy off white head with good lacing; cloudy yeast sediment throughout the body

Smell: hints of fir tree aroma with a touch of orangey citrus

Taste: hoppy bite right up front that continues through to the end; on the hoppier side of balance, so an accurate example of APA; dry finish due to the hops overpowering the lingering malts

Mouthfeel: a bit juicy with good amount of carbonation.

Remarks: not bad overall; I got it while camping and was happy with it.

3.75/5  rDev +3%

Deep copper color and cream colored head goes together nicely!

Aroma has floral notes with a touch of pine!

Flavor had bitter floral and pine needle citric movements nothing is smooth or creamy on the palate just abrasive hops so far.

Mouthfeel is dry from front to back a bit off putting with ample carbonation,

Overall it is what is I'm not sure if I care that their in Ohio now!

poured into a jar glass...be burley

lovely ruddy golden

light whiff of herbal pine...vague perfumy finish

grassy with slight earthy herbal hop tones. gently dry hopped

smooth mouthfeel, light on the palette...in a good way

subtle is the operative descriptor with this one. easy drinking with a perfect bitterness. definitely fits the easy going image of the brewery. perfect 420 beer to quench ones thirst. as to the negative reviews, maybe you just need to step back and chill on this one, youre definitely not getting it.

2.8/5  rDev -23.1%

From notes on 4/6/14

It’s very ok. Pretty average beer. Ended up buying a sixer. Wish I could have gotten a single. Taste is bitter earthy grass. Some malt flavors. Really, just ok.

Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale from SweetWater Brewing Company