Free Range IPA - Butcher's Brewing

Free Range IPAFree Range IPA

good

Butcher's Brewing visit their website

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: mactrail on 04-24-2012)
Reviews by DeanMoriarty:
3.35/5  rDev -11.6%

Picked up a 22oz bomber from Olive Tree Market here in OB for $7.99 (pretty spendy!) and poured it into an Odell's branded tulip glass.

A: Pours a fairly clean, light honey-like hue, thin white head dissipates quickly with good amounts of lacing from start to finish.

S: Sweet carmel malt, toasted bread, nougat and massive amounts of sappy hop - grapefruit rinds and fresh cut grass.

T: Ridiculously hoppy (not in a bad way) - chlorophyllic and resinous, bitter grapefruit rind, black pepper corn, herbal tea, finishing earthy and medicinal. There is a hint of sweet grainy malt that is almost candy-like but the hop dominates this one in the overall flavor - massive hop bomb! Finish is resinous and slightly boozy.

Bigger than most IPA's - more like a DIPA and drinks like one too. I love hoppy West Coast IPA's, and this certainly is one, but it's a sipper for sure - not a smooth drinker at all - full palate wrecker! With a label claiming 7% ABV, it drinks more like a 9.5%.

DeanMoriarty, Jun 10, 2012
4.08/5  rDev +7.7%

I had the pleasure of getting the first pint ever poured at the brewery! Man the pair of Nelson and Rye are as great of a pair as Pam Anderson's ;)!This beer does not let you down

Look - a little cloudy but I expect it to clear up (that's what happens when it's the first ever)

Smell - fruity, rye, pineapple, passion fruit! Smelled amazing off the tap!

Taste - very full body! Rye is apparent and it pairs nicely with the Nelson. These guys are a great Ying to the Yang of most San Diego IPAs! Not overly hopped. It's very well balanced and very yummy.

Overall - it's a good substitute for the Nelson from Alpine and I can assure you it's probably easier to get! Get a pint and enjoy!

badboyrsl84, May 07, 2013
2.63/5  rDev -30.6%

This is listed as a Spring seasonal. Being the middle of July, I don't know if this bottle is past its prime, or not. I didn't see a bottled on date. Regardless:

A: Pours a nice yellow with a great head and great retention. Decent lacing. Perfect carbonation.

S: Smells of hops, spicy grasses and light citrus.

T: Hop tea. That's all.

M: Bitter aftertaste, much like that of bile. Maybe not that bad exactly, but that's what it reminds me of. Not good, but not undrinkable.

O: I've heard some good things about Butchers Brewing. I'm sad I tried this beer first, and I hope it was just an old bottle, although it didn't taste stale or oxidized or anything. I'll give them another chance, and hopefully will have a better experience.

djaeon, Jul 14, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

Huge bitter hop blast. Label says hops are Summit and Nelson Sauvin. The IBUs have to be way up there. Aroma of fermented pineapple with a big floral punch. Gardenias or honeysuckle in the nose.

Some hints of malt in the initial flavors. Warming in the throat as the hops scrape their way down the gullet. Hotly spicy, and tastes more alcoholic than the 7% listed. Some browned biscuit flavors. Winey feel in the mouth, then turning medicinal and a little slick.

An IPA for those who like their taste buds to be totally dominated. I will be interested to see how hardened hop fanatics like this one. A pure hop flavor that is very nice, but the whole effect is so over the top.

A little pricey at $7.99 for the 22 oz bottle from Best Damn Beer Store.

mactrail, Apr 24, 2012
3.8/5  rDev +0.3%

funkel81, Oct 05, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

heresy22, Aug 11, 2013
4.56/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I live close to this recently opened brewery and have found this to be my favorite of their offereings. I'm currently in love with the highly Nelson hopped variety of Cal IPAs that are cropping up, and I think this one favorably compares with Alpine's offering.

A:slightly hazy, but nothing off putting. A little light on the head retention (this was especially true for the growler I took home which didn't hold carbonation very long), but a nice creamy color that laced well.

S: Amazing! Grapefruit and pineapple just explode from the glass.

T: This might be my favorite of the Nelson hopped variety IPAs that are being brewed. I'm fortunate enough to live near a number of fantastic breweries (Alpine, Stone, Port, etc), but this is what I want when I crave that unique acidic grapefruit bite that Nelson hopped IPAs provide. Strong citrus with a little background malty flavor that balances really well. Kind of spicy with a noticeable alcohol heat that is just enough to stand up to the strong flavors. This would be an excellent choice to pair with strong tasting heavy foods like pizza, BBQ, etc.

I need to find out of my growler's quick loss of carbonation was a fluke or a characteristic of the brew, but this is a beer I want to have around. Very enjoyable on a hot day.

Schnauzerlord, May 29, 2013