Double Brown Stout - Deep Ellum Brewing Company

Baltic Porter |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: Mora2000 on 11-21-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
2.73/5  rDev -26.6%

Generally underwhelming. Not bad, but there was little remarkable about it. If you're in the mood for a Baltic porter, this will do the trick, but it made me switch to a wheat beer. Maybe I just had it at the wrong time. There wasn't much depth to it, though on the front end it was pretty good.

1.64/5  rDev -55.9%

Thanks to cfh64 (Brad) for the extra! 12 oz. bottle served in a Deschutes snifter.

A: Pours a semi-translucent dark brown color with a thin tan head forming on the pour. Was expecting a little darker for a Baltic porter.

S: Uh oh. Highly fruity and tangy. Some light vinegar with a touch of roasted malts. Smells like infection to me.

T: Definitely infected. Dried cherry pits, tangy vinegar, and a little plastic. There is no discernible Baltic Porter flavors in this one.

M: Super thin with a high carbonation level.

O: The infection ravaged this beer. It seemed so inviting and I seem to be the first to report any infection here on BA. Hopefully this is an isolated incident for this newer brewery.

3.95/5  rDev +6.2%

32oz Growler thanks to SSW117. Poured into a Founders snifter and enjoyed with a few friends.

A- Pours pretty much opaque very dark brown. Slightly translucent around the edges. About a finger of creamy mocha brown head that quickly recedes leaving a fairly glossy top. Leaves some lacing that quickly Not too much carbonation.

S- Dark chocolate, nuts, some light roasted malts.

T- Creamy chocolate, some light hazelnuts, malts, a little bit of lactose sugars. A little bit of a hazelnut chocolate aftertaste. A little bit sweet and nicely balanced.

M- Fairly light, lightly creamy, nicely balanced, goes down very smooth.

O- This was a nice stout. Definitely easy to drink and very enjoyable. I would definitely drink this again. Nice balance between hazlenuts and creamy chocolate. A little bit too light on the mouthfeel in my opinion but not bad. I would recommend trying this out.

4.32/5  rDev +16.1%

On tap at BRC in Houston, TX.

A: Pours a dark brown, almost black color. A two finger beige head forms with very good retention. Plenty of lace is left behind.
S: At first kind of slick and oily., maybe some hops coming through at first. Though that quickly fades to some coffee, toffee, light chocolate. Some hazelnut and vanilla sweetness. Lots of depth in the nose that I love.
T: Follows the nose. Mostly toasted malts, coffee, and toffee sweetness. Some nuttiness like hazelnut. A slight sweetness of vanilla. Bread and biscuit malts. I am loving the depth here.
M/D: A medium to full body. Slick, kind of oily. Medium carbonation that is creamy and smooth at the same time. Very easy to drink. I can put several away without a thought.

Another excellent beer from Deep Ellum. I am not sure how much of a Blatic Porter this is, but considering more than half of the beer drinking world does not know either, I would say this is a hit. Something I really enjoy and would recommend.

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

The third and final beer at the Deep Ellum Brewery. This is the foray Deep Ellum beer I had. It;s solid, bit somewhat unspectacular.

The beer is a deep, dark brown. Almost black. Once again , I wish I was drinking this from a better glass than a Shaker pint.

The taste is like a big porter. It has a chocolatey taste with a smoky finish. There's also a nittiness in this that reminds me of the (512) Pecan Porter. In fact, I think that's the best comparison for this beer. It's the Pecan Porter of Deep Ellum, but it's different on the dryness and sharpness. I'd usually prefer the Pecan Porter, but I wouldn't be sad to see this on my glass. Solid, but not great.

4.2/5  rDev +12.9%

On tap at The Common Table. The beer pours a dark brown color with a tan head. The aroma is great, with a ton of chocolate up front and a little bit of roasted malt also mixed in. Definitely the aroma of a big, flavorful beer. The flavor doesn’t disappoint. I get a lot of roasted malt and chocolate notes, as well as some oaked notes and some lactose. The beer is very creamy and all of the aroma and flavor notes seem to go very well together. Medium to thick, creamy mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last