Double Brown Stout - Deep Ellum Brewing Company

Double Brown StoutDouble Brown Stout

Deep Ellum Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Baltic Porter |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Mora2000 on 11-21-2011)

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

4.14/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

The CANQuest (TM) is now over 1,000 CANned beer reviews, thanks in part to JenRay, who also sent this one to me in support of the ongoing madness. I am reading Akashic Books' "Lone Star Noir" with "Dallas Noir" on deck, and although beer and noir do NOT mix, I am throwing caution and sanity to the wind and pressing ahead.

From the CAN: "Stout as in 'Stout Porter,' a strong Oatmeal Porter"; "Brewed and Bottled [struck out] CANNED by Deep Ellum Brewing Co."

A solid Crack! was followed by an inverted Glug, resulting in both a pseudo-cascade and two rocky fingers of deep-tan, NOT deep ellum, head with good retention. Color was a deep, dark-brown (SRM = 44), allowing only minimal light penetration at the edges. Nose had a roastiness underlain by a light chocolatiness. I just had chocolate chip oatmeal for breakfast this morning and I am beginning what has happened to me as a self-avowed hophead. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was VERY roasty, initially, giving 'way to a pleasant smoky chocolatiness. My my. I just looked at the style - a Baltic Porter! The site's descriptor for the style mentions "bitter" and "acidic", both of which I experienced, especially on the finish. It was much akin to a cup of coffee. Wow! Good stuff. One would probably be plenty for me, but YMMV.

4.33/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Darkness and a brown head. As usual!

S: Sweet chocolate, malt, caramel, raisin, yeast, and char.

T: Like the nose- the chocolate is extremely prominent. Reminds me of Chokolat by Southern Tier but not quite as sweet. This one has a nice burnt taste to balance the sweetness though, which is nice. I am surprised at how good this is, not in a bad way. Also, some raisin notes and caramel.

M: Medium with some good carb. Creamy.

O: This was actually an awesome beer. I live in Texas and am usually not too blown away by the locals, but I like this one a lot and will definitely get it again.

3.4/5  rDev -11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Pour: this is virtually black, with a perfect- looking tan foam top. Guinesslike in appearance.
The smell is another story. I have to "stretch" my nose here, but when i do I just get a pukey waft of I don't know what. Is that even chocolate trying to poke through? Surprising. I'll just leave it at that and hope everything else somehow lines up in this pint glass (via can).
Tastes better than the scent. I suppose the earthy nutty roast translated poorly to me into the aroma, but here it starts off decent tasting, but then finishes much more nicely with chocolate and nothing dry. Choco-hazelnut if anything. Feels great though. Creamy enough, mild stickiness yet not so thick. Finishes well, sweet with nutty overtones. Solid brewery.

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

3.69/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A- dark chocolate/coffee. very little head that fades quickly. nice lining when settled.

s- bitter sweet coffee. brown sugar with a hint of nuts.

t- robust coffee and chocolate. it's surprisingly refreshing.

m- medium heft/carbonation. doesn't stick around long after swallowed.

o- i think it's a solid beer. if i were out and about and wanted a stout this would be a top choice, just not the top choice. i think deep ellum brewing company did a great job with the Double Brown Stout.

Double Brown Stout from Deep Ellum Brewing Company