Deep Ellum IPA - Deep Ellum Brewing Company

Deep Ellum IPADeep Ellum IPA

Deep Ellum Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Beer added by: UTCengOwl on 01-21-2012

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Deep Ellum IPA Alström Bros

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz can pours a very hazed gold color with an ample cap of white head. Nice retention and lacing...pretty good looker here.

Nose is juicy and tropical - citra and amarillo on full display...lucky for me those are two of my favorite hop varietals. Malts are grainy, sweet, honeyed and biscuity.

Taste is nice as well. I really like the crackery malt with the tropical driven hop flavors - not quite light enough to be west coast, and not bitter enough to be third coast - lets call it gulf coast style IPA. 7% is barely noticeable, this is a really nice beer. I have heard grumblings about batch variation, but Id say they nailed this batch. I look forward to testing the batch variance theory out next time I get a chance to buy this, this sixer has been a pleasure to drink.

4.75/5  rDev +18.2%

4.75/5  rDev +18.2%

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

It pours a bright golden orange color with a filmy off whbite head that left some lacing on the chalice. Smells of juicy citrus hops with tangerine and pineapple. It has a sweet caramel malty backbone with some grain. When you take a sip it's sweet at first followed by fruity hop flavor that is balanced between bitter and sweet followed by some bread and more hops. The brew is medium bodied with light carbonation and a slightly dry finish. I was pretty impressed with this brew, I heard about the brewery when they first started out and I'm glad we have a quality local product in the DFW area.

4.06/5  rDev +1%

Never heard about Deep Ellum, living in Chicago, this came as an extra in a trade.

A- Pours a super tall, thick white head that overflowed an imperial pint glass and hung on for a good while. Color is tan/caramel, mostly clear.

S- Nose was pine/grass with slight floral/citrus end.

T- This was the first beer of the afternoon, and hit me in the face with an astringent bitterness, which quickly passed. Very little amount of malt sweetness on the front end followed with brute bitterness.

M- Medium mouthfeel, not too carbonic, not too flat.

Overall - Really impressive IPA from a brewery that I had never heard of. Although not as citrusy as I usually like, it is something that I'll be asking my trading buddy for in the future.

4.55/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to my buddy Brian for brining this one back from Texas. Looks very promising.

A finger plus of tan head sits atop this golden orange brew.

Has a pleasant and nicely blended aroma of butterscotch, herbal hops and citrus.

A bit of grain up front to the tongue is quickly followed by a nice hit of citrus hoppiness and some melon. The taste is simple and superb.

Medium in body with a little chalkiness at the end.

This is future hall of fame IPA right here.

4.53/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

First off, I've only heard a little about Deep Ellum here in Fort Worth, and today was the first time I've seen any of their beer available here, and I probably would've over looked it if their cans weren't so badass lol..

Anyways...

A- copper-ish I guess, great big fluffy head

S- My favorite part of an IPA is the smell, and this was very impressive. Lots of citrus, a little floral, and a little spicy hop aroma with a nice sweet background.

T- Follows the nose. Mainly nice citrus with good clean bitterness.

M- Medium-ish body, crisp finish

O- I can enjoy this one over and over.. I love it. Deep Ellum does their hoppy beers for hop heads for sure, and that's fine by me. Very bitter for a regular IPA. Great hop flavor and aroma.. Definitely worth a try, and it hangs with just about any other IPA out there in my opinion.

Deep Ellum IPA from Deep Ellum Brewing Company