2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Farmhouse Wit - Deep Ellum Brewing Company

Farmhouse WitFarmhouse Wit

good

Deep Ellum Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Witbier |  4.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: champ103 on 05-18-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 87 | Reviews: 16 | Show All Ratings:
woodychandler

3.8/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The CANQuest (TM) is now over 1,000 CANned beer reviews, thanks in part to JenRay, who also sent this one to me in support of the ongoing madness. I am reading Akashic Books' "Lone Star Noir" with "Dallas Noir" on deck, and although beer and noir do NOT mix, I am throwing caution and sanity to the wind and pressing ahead.

From the CAN: "We like Saisons and Witbiers, they're better together."; "Brewed and Bottled [struck out] CANNED by Deep Ellum Brewing Co."

The Crack! unleashed some white foam and so I stepped back to allow things to settle. My initial Glug was out of control and filled the glass with foam so quickly that I could not back off in time. This resulted in some overflow and I would like to caution others that this seems to be a very active beer, requiring some caution when deCANting. The result was stunning, however, resembling a slice of lemon meringue pie, what with three fingers of dense, rocky, bone-white head with great retention above a murky, lemon-yellow colored beer (SRM = 4 - 5). Noir fiction was less applicable than listening to Carly Simon singing "Anticipation" because this beer was forever! I had to pour just a little at a time, I had to await the head to fall and I just found myself waiting, interminably. Finally, things were to the point that I could lean in for a sniff and I was met with a strong scent of black pepper. Achoo! I took my first sip and the mouthfeel was very effervescent, but slightly thin. It had a slight farmyard funk to it, slightly cheesy with black pepper in the mix. I guess that I should cop to not being a huge fan of either Saisons or Witbiers, but I could live with this. It was not blowing my doors off or my hair back, but neither was it unpleasant. The finish was quite dry, thanks to the spices and yeast, as was to be expected. The pepperiness lingered well after the finish, but I also got a lemon citrusiness, putting me in mind of McCormick's Lemon Pepper seasoning salt. This would be a nice accompaniment to lemon chicken or lemon pepper chicken, both of which are usually on the menu at a Chinese restaurant. This is making me hungry ...

02-08-2014 16:49:36 | More by woodychandler
AlCaponeJunior

3.53/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Light tan and clear, white head and sparse lace.

Smell and taste are actually a very even blend of a farmhouse ale with a witbier, leaning ever so slightly over to the farmhouse side. Yeasty flavors, a bit of wheat, some funk and some grassy / hay flavors also find their way in.

Body is pretty light and well carbonated, unsurprisingly about half way between a farmhouse and a wit.

It's an interesting beer, not my favorite ever but still pretty enjoyable.

12-28-2013 19:38:36 | More by AlCaponeJunior
kojevergas

3.21/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

"Malt beverage brewed with spices. Flavored ale." 1 pint (500ml in this case) aluminum can with orange label and interesting art acquired as a single at Whole Foods HQ and served into an Independence Brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are average given the brewery. Reviewed as a hybridized saison/witbier because it identifies clearly as such on the label (and it's suggested in the name). No best before date or ABV is listed on the label.

Served cold, straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a 7 finger wide head of beige colour and smooth complexion. Nice creaminess and thickness. Head retention is quite good - about 10 minutes - but if this is really 4.80% as currently listed, then that isn't all that impressive. Nice even lacing coats the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a cloudy pale yellow - precisely what a witbier should be. Lacks the haze and typical copper colour of a saison. Good vibrance. No yeast particles are visible. Appears well-carbonated.

Overall, it's definitely leaning more towards a witbier in terms of appearance. It's not unique or special, but it looks pretty good and there are no obvious flaws.

Sm: The first thing I notice is the farmhouse yeast, which lends it a nice saison-inspired straw/hay character as well as a subtle funkiness. It works surprisingly well against the backdrop of the witbier-centric pale wheat, pilsner malts, coriander/cilantro, and citrusy fruit peel. I'm getting hints of both orange peel and lemon peel; there's nice subtlety here. I get a hint of white pepper too - that's more a saison note. Some crackery malts. This is a bit out there, but I'd hazard a guess there's just a bit of rice in this? I could well be wrong. Some complementary floral and fruity hops have a minimal but welcome presence.

It's a damn refreshing aroma. Very pleasant, alive, and inviting. Maybe these two styles fit together better than I thought. I'm impressed. Aroma is mild in strength.

No alcohol is detectable.

T: Hm. Very interesting. Has a light subtle funky edge from the farmhouse yeast as well as the abovementioned straw/hay notes. It's also got an almost graham cracker like body with plenty of crackery malts, wheat, pilsner malts, and grains of paradise. Has a bizarre citrusy edge - not just orange/lemon peel, but also a 7-Up like lime note. Fruity and floral hops complement the body nicely and never lend any noticeable bitterness. Zesty. The pale flaked wheat is lovely here; I don't know what they did or which wheat they used, but boy is it a great backbone to an all around refreshing beer. Spicing is noticeable and is primarily coriander/cilantro, with a faint touch of white pepper. Good sweetness/bitterness balance, erring rightfully on the sweet side.

It's a balanced cohesive beer, and seamlessly hybridizes its two styles, though it should be noted that it's definitely more a witibier than a saison. As such, it doesn't have the masterful layered complexity of a saison, but it's fairly complex for a witbier. Has some subtlety. It's a very refreshing pleasant brew. Above average depth of flavour. Average duration of flavour. Above average intensity of flavour - which normally wouldn't be a good thing for a witbier, but is fine here given the extra dimension the saison notes lend the flavour profile. I quite like it for what it is.

No alcohol comes through.

Mf: Refreshing and soft. Crisp. Smooth and wet. Has a light easy presence on the palate. Good thickness and body. A bit overcarbonated, sure. Suits the flavour profile well. I wouldn't say the texture feels custom-tailored to the taste.

Not oily, harsh, biting, gushed, boozy, astringent, or hot.

Dr: I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying this one. A successful hybridization of its two constituent styles, and a very refreshing brew all around. Definitely an above average beer. Far from world class, but pretty tasty. I'd get it again if I was in the mood for the style(s). The artificial lime note is the big thing holding it back; if it was a bit more natural I'd like it a lot more. I wouldn't recommend it to friends, but I'm glad I tried it. Well worth picking up as a single. Quite drinkable. Hides its ABV well.

High C+

10-25-2013 01:11:24 | More by kojevergas
BryanCarey

3.69/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer pours to a yellowish hue with a nose that is like lemon/lime with some grains and herbs in the background. The white head of foam on this beer is slight, but the body is very fizzy and the small amount of foam does leave some lace behind.

This beer has a taste that is lemony and slightly herbal, with some pale malts and wheat in the background. Spicy notes are evident, with flavors of coriander most dominant. Search a little more and you will taste orange, yeast, and banana, for a complex profile that keeps you guessing.

This farmhouse ale is a little different from others I have tasted. Yes, you get the wheat malt and yeast character and fruit, but the lemon flavor dominates this brew. I like the complexity, herbs/spices, and different fruit flavors but among farmhouse ales I have tried, this one is more lemony than any other.

This is an interesting farmhouse wit and certainly worth a try if you can find it. The lemony taste, active carbonation, and lighter body make it great for the hot days of summer and it would match up nicely with many foods, especially lighter fare like appetizers and salads.

09-22-2013 03:18:49 | More by BryanCarey
TBoneJones

3.69/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours very cloudy/ hazy pineapple yellow (no bubbles visible in the body) with a decent white head.
Smells like lemon, grass, herbs, wheat. A hint if orange in there. Nice.
Very distinct herbal grassy flavor, more juicy than earthy. The lemon tarts up the back end with a zesty rind mouth flavor. And hops are here and tasty too! I like this. The can mentions how this is basically a marriage of a saison and witbier. I've tried many more of the former style. This is refreshing and light, crisp and with a zesty character, however the spices really punch through here, to the point of eliminating any urge to session this brew. Nice flavors just heavy spicing for me. That said, I can say that for a fleeting moment i'm tasting lemon Starburst. Medium carbonation, smooth, full mouthfeel for the abv. (4.8% upon checking). I think where i am impressed here is with the whole lemon grass thing. Ive always thought the idea of lemon and grass in a beer was about as refreshing as it gets (think spring/summer), however the few lemongrass-centered brews ive tried were quite off-putting. This is what i had imagined such an example would taste like. However, the end result of the dense mixed spice notes overpowering the more refreshing aspects of this beer, prevents me from considering this brew something I'd seek out again.

09-18-2013 00:26:59 | More by TBoneJones
TXBulldog

3.48/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

16 oz can poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a pale golden color with a massive airy head that fades slowly and leaves behind a light lacing. Beer is very clear, with none of the cloudiness that you'd expect from a witbier.

Lots of citrus and coriander spice on the nose. Much more robust than I expected from first appearance and very pleasant.

Some of the citrus and spice promised from the smell of the beer does come through, but overall this one is pretty muted. There is a little hop bitterness, but nothing that really stands out. Has a little bit of an aftertaste that I would associate more with mass produced beers. This would be a good beer to drink on a hot day, but not one to sit and sip.

Carbonation is a little too light to suit this beer. Overall mouthfeel is a little thin, but leaves a little lingering film. Combined with the aftertaste it comes off as almost a little soapy.

Overall afraid this one wasn't a hit for me. It does have potential if they could get more of what's on the nose onto the palette and if they could get some additional crispness to it.

09-16-2013 01:38:15 | More by TXBulldog
Alieniloquium

3.54/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16 oz. can poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Very hazy golden yellow. Huge white head. Retains well with a nice layer of foam.

Smell - Lemony. Some saison characteristics, but mostly wheat. Mild spice.

Taste - Grainy as hell. Some sweet doughy malt. Zesty lemon. Lots of wheat. Some yeasty flavors and a hint of spice in the back.

Mouthfeel - Very light, but very grainy. Some bitterness. Medium carbonation.

Overall - Just about the most exciting witbeer I've had. That probably doesn't say much, but it's tasty.

08-14-2013 23:55:56 | More by Alieniloquium
paperbackfoster

Missouri

3.89/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 16oz can to an imperial pint glass -

Pours a light honey/agave color, taking on a lighter straw note in the light. Carbonation looks pretty light and confused in the haze. Head is a nice, foamy two fingers from the pour but recedes to a half finger. Still holds pretty significantly.

The nose is really pleasant. A lot of grapefruit peel and coriander for the wit aspect and tons of more complex spicing from the farmhouse. I gather a lot of peach as well, with almost mulling-type spices.

The taste is fantastic - as easy and refreshing as an underwhelming wit but with a lot of complexity. I gather a lot of orange rind with some sweetness and a slight spice - almost like a sweet roll or something, honestly. The fruit rind notes are refreshing, but the bready backbone cannot be ignored, and the spice really pulls through.

This beer feels big and chewy, almost like a highly carbonated rye ale.

I really didn't expect to rate this one so high, but it is a pleasure to imbibe.

07-13-2013 03:56:05 | More by paperbackfoster
ehammond1

3.96/5  rDev +6.7%

Can (2013)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, wagenvolks and xpimptastikx!

A huge, big-bubbled, and extremely persistent white head. Clouded golden body. Moderately sticky, especially for the style.

Good amount of spice and wheat in the aroma. Decent amounts of coriander and grains of paradise mix with a mild funk and distinctly Belgian-style yeast. Very nice. This leans more toward the spices as it warms.

The flavor is similar to the aroma; pleasant combination of a mildly funky farmhouse yeast, spices, and wheat. A bit of lemon character as well.

Great mouthfeel. Nearly full for the style with moderate to near-high carbonation.

I really enjoy this saison/witbier hybrid. Would drink again, especially on a hot day.

07-12-2013 02:17:21 | More by ehammond1
nsheehan

4.45/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Farmhouse Wit
Deep Ellum Brewing Co
20130621
16oz can to craft pub glass
Saison/witbier combo

A – Good carbonation, lively in the glass. Nice light gold, kind of cloudy color. Very translucent and a little transparent near the glass. Pretty nice cloudy head, but kind of thin and waxy looking.

S – Very nice, I’m picking up both witbier and more saison-y smells. Orange, some characteristic Belgian sweetness, some earthiness, and some spiciness from the hops (saison part). There’s also some wheat and banana (witbier part). I think they are well-mixed but can be picked out quite easily. The earthiness is like a musty dirt, it fits in well.

T – Taste follows smell nearly perfectly, wow. The flavors are mixed but can be picked out. The Fruit (orange, banana), wheat, and Belgian sweetness hit you up front, then the earthiness comes in, followed by the hops.

M – Very strange, it has a finish of average dryness on the tongue (between the finish of a wit and a saison), but it dries out your whole mouth. I don’t particularly like it. I drank a sip of water to rehydrate my mouth, and took another sip of beer. It feels dry because the carbonation is leaving my mouth tingly, I can really fill it on the tip of the tongue. In the context of a saison, this dryness is quite good I think, and isn’t quite as strong as the beer warms a little. Light bodied overall, probably on the heavy side of light. Kind of thin on the back end though.

D – I honestly wasn’t expecting much based on how people talk about Deep Ellum, but I went in with an open mind. And boy was I wowed. I think there’s definitely a sweet spot temperature wise, starting at about 5 minutes out of the fridge and lasting for 10 minutes. It’s still very good past this point. This is my great surprise beer of the week. If you regard it as just a wit or just a saison, you’ll find it off. But as a hybrid, I think it’s great.
4.5, 4.5, 4.5, 4, 4.5 (or 4.25)

06-22-2013 00:36:48 | More by nsheehan
twiggamortis420

3.19/5  rDev -14%

16 oz can pours a hazed, light gold color with a rocky cap of off-white head. Average retention but shows some nice lacing.

Nose is big on the spices, unfortunately. I get coriander for sure and am thinking there is some grains of paradise as well. Definitely some classic orange peel aromas as well.

I was hoping this would be more saison than wit, but unfortunately I was wrong...I dont get why you would use Belgian yeast and then cover it up by a ton of spices?! This one is just too overboard on the orange peel/coriander/grains of paradise for me. It does have a nice soft body and crackery malt...pretty good sweet/bitter interplay and perfect carbonation. For me, usually mouthfeel and taste are fairly intertwined, but this is one of those rare examples of really liking the mouthfeel but not the flavor profile. It is a decently brewed beer, so if you like heavily spiced saisons, this would be one to try.

04-30-2013 23:02:22 | More by twiggamortis420
Treebs

3.68/5  rDev -0.8%

12 oz. bottle served in a GI Chalice. Big thanks to cfh64 (Brad) for the extra.

A: Cloudy yellow color with some peach hues in the body. A one finger height of white foam forms on the pour and recedes to a thin cap.

S: A ton lemon grass, coriander and some cracked wheat. Definitely oaty as well with a little orange citrus zest. Mildly soapy as well.

T: Coriander, some sweet wheat notes and a little flower as well. Mild citrus zest with a sweet oat finish. It has a very subtle underlying tartness to it as well.

M: Light bodied with a medium high carbonation level. A little prickly with a slightly sweet finish.

O: A very solid wibier overall. Easily drinkable with nice coriander flavors leading the way.

01-02-2013 00:37:06 | More by Treebs
gtermi

4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

A: The beer pours a cloudy golden body with a thick sort of creamy head that quickly fades and leaves a tiny bit of lacing on the glass.

S: The smell of this beer is very intense. I am getting a strong lemon type smell mixed with other fruity smells.

T: Wow this is freaking delicious! I am getting a strong lemon flavor that seems to really linger for a long time. The beer mixes very well with the sweet grain.

M: This a very thick feeling, full bodied beer. There is a strong amount of crispness on the back of the throat as it goes down.

O: I have had three Deep Ellum beers today and everything they make is freaking delicious. WIth this beer it's the flavor for me. It just tastes so delicious and I keep coming back to it wanting more. Deep Ellum, please keep producing these amazing beers!

11-14-2012 06:30:23 | More by gtermi
KellerTX

3.85/5  rDev +3.8%

A: Just off-white head that was 1-2 fingers. Beer color is a golden yellow, and slightly hazy.

S: An appealing mix of wheat, citrus and yeast.

T: A good amount of wheat, followed by some citrus and fruit. There is also some bitterness and spice towards the end to keep it interesting. The finish leaves the mouth a little dry.

M: Medium bodied. A little higher carbonation gives it a lot of mouth feel.

O: Enjoyable. Well balanced, with plenty going on in the flavor department.

10-27-2012 02:36:30 | More by KellerTX
Mora2000

4.23/5  rDev +14%

On tap at the Common Table 2nd Anniversary Party.

The beer pours a hazy yellow color with a large white head. The aroma is very nice with a lot of wheat and orange citrus notes, which are complimented by some coriander and quite a bit of Belgian yeast. The flavor is more of the same, with a little bit of yeast funk, as well as some pepper, orange, coriander and wheat. There is a touch of hop bitterness in the beer which makes the beer easy to drink. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Very nice.

06-13-2012 04:24:00 | More by Mora2000
champ103

4.43/5  rDev +19.4%

On tap at Downhouse in Houston, TX. A lovely hybrid style of a Saison and Wit.

A: Pours cloudy/hazed yellow/golden color. A two finger white head forms with good retention. Plenty of lace is left behind.
S: Earthy, fruity, and spicy. Orange peal, coriander. Husky wheat. Then a lingering hop bitterness shows up. The hops start out subtle, but build and lingers on. Which I think really pulls this together.
T: Follows the nose. Earthy, grainy malts. Peppery spice, coriander, orange peal. Again the wheat is there. Hops in the finish. That leaves a great snappy bitterness that pulls everything together.
M/D: A medium body and crisp carbonation. Snappy and refreshing. Smooth at the same time. So easy to drink. I don't know the alcohol, but a great beer to quaff and enjoy in the summer. Enough character to drink anytime though.

This is great. A wonderful Wit, and something that I want around year round. Well done.

05-18-2012 23:47:27 | More by champ103