1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Wealth & Taste - Deep Ellum Brewing Company

Wealth & Taste
No picture uploaded.

Deep Ellum Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Mora2000 on 08-01-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 57 | Reviews: 4 | Show All Ratings:
Mora2000

4.33/5  rDev +9.3%

On tap at the Common Table during the launch party.

The beer pours a slightly hazy golden-orange color with a white head. The aroma has a good dose of wheat, as well as some white wine grape notes and a bit of Belgian yeast.The flavor is very similar. I get a lot of chardonnay notes, as well as some great orange citrus and biscuit malt notes. There is some Belgian yeast in the flavor, as well as some spiciness that pulls all of the flavor components together. The 9.5 percent is very well hidden and the beer is extremely drinkable. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A very nice beer that I am glad I got to try. Definitely a fine example of how barrel aging should be done.

08-01-2012 04:09:36 | More by Mora2000
champ103

4.45/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Hay Merchant, and again at Down House in Houston.

A: Pours a beautiful hazy golden/orange color. A two finger well formed and tightly packed white head rises with good retention. Rings of sticky lace are left behind.
S: Musky basement like funk hits the nose first. At first that seems like some Belgian yeast, but quickly fades and I get lots of Muscat grapes. Seems the yeast and grapes mingle perfectly. Oak and barrel aromas come into play as well. Vanilla sweetness in the finish.
T: Again, the Belgian yeast and Muscat grapes mingle perfectly. Light wood flavors and finishes sweet. Very enjoyable.
M/D: A medium body and good carbonation. Crisp, but velvety smooth at the same time. So easy to drink and enjoy. I have enjoyed this several times the last few days that it has hit Houston. Always a treat.

The Belgian yeast and grapes seem to be the main show, with just a hint of the wine barrels. That is fine by me. An excellent and unique interpretation of the style. I seem to say this every time I try Deep Ellum, but an excellent beer. Highly recommended.

08-10-2012 23:08:42 | More by champ103
brouwerijman

4.35/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at BRC Gastropub in Houston. Told it's been cellared for 12 months. Blend of muscat musk and Belgian yeast superb. Muscat brings a strong (but fantastic) flavor. Mouth feel correct for the style.
I lived in Belgium for 7 years, I think most would be proud of this creation.

08-10-2013 01:03:24 | More by brouwerijman
JordanDallas

3.59/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

*DISCLAIMER - I'm a newbie

I really enjoy this beer. I first discovered at Buzzbrews in Dallas. Had a huge glass, and couldn't remember much after that -- except that my beer was named "wealth" and something...

I rediscovered the beer at Craft & Growler, and was of sounder mind than the previous experience -- and I really enjoyed the flavor and feel -- and it's a powerful brew, but doesn't knock you down the way some of the super imperial IPAs (or whatever they're called) are supposed to do.

I like this a lot, and I'll continue to drink!

11-29-2013 05:50:35 | More by JordanDallas