Green Flash Anniversary Ale 2004 - Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash Anniversary Ale 2004Green Flash Anniversary Ale 2004

rAvg: 4
Green Flash Brewing Co. visit their website

American Barleywine |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: xlperro on 04-07-2005)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by djaeon:
4.75/5  rDev +18.8%

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just like EyeChart, I have not been to enthusiastic about Green Flash brews in the past, but this is a seriously good beer! A great looking beer, it poured a dark red color that you can barley see through, and with a great tan head that stuck to the glass like glue. The smell was hard to detect at first, but after a little swirling I could detect the nice hop scent but not much else. The taste however was excelent. There was a nice maltiness to the beer in the very beginning but then it quickly blasts you with a great hop flavor and a very dry pine like aftertaste leaves you wanting more! The 10% abv is not even detectable. I do not think I would want to cellar this one as it tastes so good right now....I'll have to pick up more of this for sure.

Bottle #1293/6000

3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

Bottle no.4884/6000, pours a murky, opaque, mahogany body with a 2 cm tan head. Good retention and sticky patch lacing. Aroma of toffee, burnt brown sugar, caramel and dark fruits. Creamy and full bodied mouthfeel with medium carbonation and some alcohol heat. Taste is complex, with some roasty notes, dark fruits, molasses, and substantial hops bittering that adds pine, grapefruit, and rind. Alcohol warming is prominent. Seems more of a strong old ale than a barleywine, but it does have some age on it.

3.33/5  rDev -16.8%

This is bottle 3135 of 6000. This beer pours a dark brown with a brown head. The head is thick and fades slowly leaving good laces. When held up to the light, this beer looks sort of mohogany. It smells very sweet. It has a caramel scent. It has a good hop aroma also. I can slightly detect an alcohol aroma. This beer has a strong alcohol taste to it. It is very thick. It tastes slightly like liquor. Maybe whiskey. I dont know if that is a good thing or not. I can taste the hops behind the alcohol. They are a welcome addition to the flavor. This beer is full bodied. It leaves a whiskey like aftertaste. The alcohol warms my throat as it goes down. I duobt this beer would make a good session beer. I am not fond of the flavor that much, and it is high in alcohol. I am glad to have been able to try one of only 6000 bottles, but I doubt I will try this one again.

3.68/5  rDev -8%

Limited Edition 22 ounce Bottle - #313 of 6000 (...40 bbl batch?). It has a beautiful label (basic, but nice) and the gold foil cover is a nice touch.

It pours a dark mahogany body with gleaming ruby accents beneath a creamy khaki head that holds fairly well before settling, and leaves some nice splashes of lace.

The nose offers a very nice combination of caramelish malt, citrusy/piney hops, and an apple-like fruitiness... but some higher alcohols intervene and disgrace it.

In the mouth it's initially crisp and zesty/airy as it crosses the palate, but it softens a bit as it warms. It's medium-full bodied and has a very fine bubbled, natural carbonation.

The flavor mirrors the aroma, delivering a lightly toasty and caramelish malt awash in bright, piney and citrusy (mostly orange) hop flavors, and accented by an apple-like yeasty fruitiness. Unfortunately, the higher alcohols become quite a bit more apparent as it warms.

Overall, it's an interesting beer. I'm not sure I'd call it a barleywine (and it's not listed as such on the label ...it's more of an American strong ale. Regardless, it's a nice attempt with a healthy dose of heavy-handed California brewed Pacific north west hop bravado... but it still has a major flaw in the higher alcohols.

4.33/5  rDev +8.3%

22oz bomber, gold foil, obtained in a bif many moons ago from irishsnake (may his BA name RIP)

appearance: pours into my hopleaf tulip, bright ruby-garnet-mahogany masterpiece with a big tan cap and strong lacing left throughout

smell: jesus - this is one of THOSE barleywines. The aroma punches you in the face as soon as the cap comes off - massive floral hops somehow remain after 4 years but a huge caramel malt and booze core is the major player here...quite impressive

taste: the flavor profile reminds me of a number of barleywines but the only one that comes to mind is the Fish Brewing Leviathan - there is still a strong floral hop bite after all these years that leaves a strong bitter linger. The super-sweet malt structure makes this a very rich and potent barleywine with a big time alcohol kick

mouthfeel: medium bodied, lingering alcohol

drinkability: hindered by the alcohol

4.08/5  rDev +2%

The Second Anniversary Ale (Bottle # 5612/6000) pours up into a small brandy snifter with a medium, lacy, tannish-white head that covers a generous, mahogany-deep garnet body. The huge aroma is a mixture of fruitiness e.g. dried cherries, ripe plum & sweet apricot-orange marmalade and dominated by pungent & piney Northwest hops e.g. Columbus/Tomahawk. The flavor starts off with a rich mix of sweet maltiness e.g. brown sugar, caramel candy & toffee cake and finishes with a flourish of bitterness. Add a hint of boot leather, cut tobacco and the pleasant warmth from the alcohol and you've got yourself a wonderfully complex barleywine that's simply a great fire-side sipper. This one will continue to age graciously for some time. I must admit, this is the first brew that I've tried from Green Flash, but it'll certainly NOT be the last. Quality like this is sure to turn turn heads, just as sudden as a "Green Flash!" Here's to a Third Anniversary.

CHEERS! Beertracker

4.13/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle 4801/6000

Appearance: Ruby red sherry cask whisky, with a decent head.

Smell: Robust citrus hops, but with a spike of alcohol.

Taste: The malt is round and chewy, the hops piney and pungent, with a bittersweet chocolate mouthfeel. Recommended for those who, like me, enjoy dancing on the fine line between Barleywines and I2PAs.

3.48/5  rDev -13%

Haven't had this in a year or so, still in stock at a local liquor store. 22oz. brown bomber with a little sticker on back from brewmaster: Limited Edition 2497/6000, this bottle is middle of the batch. Pours a dark copper-mahogany brown with a silid finger of sticky tan head. The head has good retention, bits of sticky lace as well.

Piney hops sharp on the nose backed by bready malt and some pink-grapefruit just about sums it up, much as I had remembered it from previous consumption. I did not remember it being a classic American Barleywine, seems much like an IPA, but hey, who really gives a u know

Subtlely sweet bready malt flavor that gets pushed aside by citrus, most notably of pink-grapefruit, which in turn gets it's little booty kicked by some serious spikey, piney hops...oh my. Some alcohol sneeks in at the end to let you know this brew means business.

Fairly heavy body, alcohol becomes more pronounced as it warms a bit, which in turn tones down the hops to a greener, grassy flavor. Mouthfeel is pretty smooth and creamy...well carbonated too.

To compare it another in it's style...reminds me very much of Avery's Hog Heaven, in many ways. Pretty tasty, easily consumed for an ABV of 10% beer with some beef, Cheers!

4/5  rDev 0%

Bottle #102 of the 6000 bottle batch.

Pours a dark reddish brown brew with a tan head.

Smell is very strong citrus hop aroma combined with the scent of papaya, tobacco, fig, prunes, and Bourbon.

Fairly sweet taste but not for long as the citrus hop bashes right back down. BIG caramel flavor to this. Flavors of dried Christmas fruits and bourbon and cake dominate. Basically this tastes like a hopped up fruitcake! Hop flavor is grapefruit or bitter orange in flavor.

Mouthfeel is good, creamy but not too thick.

An OK beer but I really think I would have liked to have aged this for another 2 years. This brew has not full developed its flavor. Kind of rough still.

4/5  rDev 0%

Picked up a growler of this at the Green Flash brewery the Saturday before the Super Bowl thinking I could wait until the game to drink it, but the color and smell were too much. I had to crack it open sooner!

It's a beautiful deep red, and smells of hops and citrus, much like an IPA but meaner, if you can imagine.

The mouthfeel is fairly full and the flavor is bready with fruit overtones. The alcohol doesn't hit your palate too hard, but I had a buzz in no time!

Excellent dirty finish with an aftertaste that lingers. Along with their West Coast IPA, this is the Green Flash brew to try! Funny that a brewery could be so pedestrian in their other styles and then distinguish themselves with great examples of stronger brews. Good for them. Hope this means they'll continue with more experimental styles in the future.

4.33/5  rDev +8.3%

I'm sorry to have missed out on the first edition...hopefully I'll stumble across it at sometime. This is excellent. it has a full body with hoppy aftertones. this is like a grand cru of the brewery to me. 10% wooohooo ummm lots of warming and buzzy. This is night capper material.

3.98/5  rDev -0.5%

Limited Edition 22 ounce Bottle - #1029 of 6000.

Presentation: Thin metallic Ferrero Rocher style gold foil encapsulates the crown cap and upper neck of the Bomber. Unwrapped the crown cap is revealed as a dark blue affair with, erm… well a green flash on it. White thin strip label at the reverse of the bottles base states that this is Limited Edition 1209 / 6000 and signed by Brew Master, Chuck Silva. Front has the words “Green Flash Brewing Co. 2 Second Anniversary Ale”. Bottom right of the label states that this is 10.0% Alc. by Vol.

Appearance: Ruby mahogany body, rich and deep with pastel chestnut browns in the dark and luminescent dark crimson reds when backlit. How fitting that I inadvertently chose my Stone Old Guardian Glass for this one….. divine, or maybe satanic, intervention…I do wonder!?. Light tan brown head forms quickly during the pour, but it settles down to a fine bubbled ¼” Vicars collar. Lovely looking head with some excellent lacing and overall a very impressive presentation I have to say.

Nose: Caramel laden bitter toffee apples and a stark symphonic hop profile abound in the aromas. Higher alcohols and a raw hop oil evolutionary punch, has a mixed hop profile that confuses, compounds and confers that this is most definitely a Californian Barleywine, rather than an American one!

Taste: WOW – first off, this is so good from the get go, you know those brews that just impress you from the starting pistol, well this is one of them. Is this distilled or brewed??? Attractive stomach punching hop bitterness drags the intestinal muscles into action immediately. Whilst the sharp solvent based hop fractions are quickly vaporized into the nose, the thick oily and heavy hop fractions lumber down into the base beer, the viscous down charge sinks unrefined and mixes in with the heavy malt bitumen’s which already bubble in the base of the tower. Whilst some additional fractional distillation in a kettle type Reboiler may very well add some refinement to this Barleywine, I have to say right now that I like the raw pungent feel of this bad boy. It’s a West Coast Barleywine and it’s proud of its heritage it seems.

Mouthfeel: Rich malts, highly hopped bitterness and a stinging hoppy warmth synergize in the harmonic swallow. Dynamic big-ass bold SoCal Barleywine with a warming hop profile that revitalizes with each mouthful.

Drinkability: Like a pair of well worn slippers this is comfortable and solidly appealing to resident Californians, yet at times the ‘new clothes’ feel of the raw hops lend enough to shock one into re-examining this bitter brew. If I had a 750ml of this I would have no problems supping the extra 8 ounces.

Overall: This reminds me so much of a young Old Guardian, I really cannot believe that I selected the Stone Old Guardian glass for this one without any pre-selective conscious thought, or at least I think that now, I only bought the OG glass a few weeks ago!!! That said, I can safely add my name to the long illustrious list of SoCal BA’s that have (had?) a very low opinion of Green Flash to date, I know for a fact that I have had two of their ‘regular’ beers and never even reviewed them such was my lethargy towards them.

This cost me $3.99 for the Bomber, not exactly a “impulse pick-up” brew, so would I recommend this one?, erm….you know…..I think I would, even to those that have tried the rather staid & boring Green Flash brews in the past and may question me.

Tell me Stone brewed this on April 1 and called it Green Flash….and I may believe you. It’s that good.

Nearly Highly Recommended.

4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

04/04/06- Purchased at Ledger's Liquors in Berkeley, CA.

Presentation- 22oz bottle with a nice gold foil over the cap. 2004 vintage. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- One of the more darker barleywines I have seen. Deep dark brown, maybe even approaching a porter color. Half inch off white head with better than average lacing.

Smell- Wonderful smell of deep roasted malt, caramel, and bitter hops.

Taste- At first the malts seemed a bit too roasted..almost burnt. But, they mellowed out quickly leaving a nice light chocolate and caramel flavor. Grapefruit hops seemed overpowering at first as well, but those too evened out after sitting for a while. A beer that needs to breathe for sure.

Mouthfeel- Slightly creamy and mildly carbonated. A bit chewy as well.

Drinkability- After this one had some time to breathe, it really became a very nice beer. I started this out a room temp and drank it over the next hour. Let it air out and the flavors will come out more. Overall a nice beer that drinks very well.

4.13/5  rDev +3.3%

#2825/6000 production.

A - Murky brown, huge head, thick clumpy lacing.

S - Brown sugar, dark aged fruit (reminds me a little of port aging) alcohol and malt.

T - Big sweet malt finished with ample hop. Caramel, vanilla and wood notes. Nice balance.

M - Huge coating beer. Good carbonation.

D- For special occasions.

Surprised this one still good after almost 4 years. Wow.

4.22/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A huge thanks to srandycarter for the chance to try this. I made the mistake of starting with this beer way too cold. I recommend it warmer than most beers.

The beer is a deep dark brown color. Impressively, despite the age (4 years?) there was still a modest cream colored head. It also smells hoppier than I'd expect something this aged to smell.

I really think now is the right time to try this. There's just enough oxidation. The hops are still very much present, but I imagine this was a real ball buster when fresh. The rich creamy maltiness is cut through by the carbonation. In fact, I'd say it's just a tad too much carbonated. But in generally it was just really yummy.

As far as drinkability, I had no problem finishing the bomber. The alcohol is basically invisible, although it's rich enough and full enough you aren't going to drink it too fast. And given that I may never get to try this again, no reason to rush through it.

Definitely worth a try if you get the chance.

3.55/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle #1738/6000. Thanks Freddie!

A: Brown with hints of ruby red dispersed throughout the whole glass, as well as a light caramel colored head.

S: Brown sugar, cinnamon, and strong oaky/wood-like aroma.

T: Dark fruit, brown sugar, robust hop bitterness, caramel, and other nuances my pathetic palate can't pick up. Alcohol is well hidden for a 10% ABV, which is very impressive considering the style and full-flavor profile.

M: Great carbonation for a 5-year old beer...when removing the bottle cap, a nice "pop" sound was created. I'm not sure if I like the way it settles on the palate, but it ain't bad either.

D: I like this beer...but it's nothing to go crazy over.

Overall: If you have the chance...try it. It definitely gives me a good perspective of how well a barleywine can age. Cheers!

4/5  rDev 0%

The beer poured a beautiful deep amber hue with a small off-white head that turned into a small lace. It was crystal clear and gleamed when I held my glass to the light.

The aroma of the beer was immensely malty, caramelly, fruity, and alcoholic. A large amount of hops were there as well.

The flavor of the beer was full of rich caramel malt with burnt toffee notes in the finish. At almost 3 years in the bottle, I was amazed at how assertive the hops were. They were nicely herbal and citrusy. There were some dried fruit flavors present, but nothing too intense. The finish was nicely alcoholic and warming.

The mouthfeel was pretty thick, but this was still one of the drier barleywines I've had. The carbonation was dialed in just right.

This is one of the hoppiest American barleywines I've had. I can only imagine it was more intense 3 years ago.

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

22 ounce bottle from the Stuffed Sandwich, #3,792 of 6,000, this bottle is now over four years old, I have now had a vintage of this each of the last three years, and I am finally getting around to reviewing it, split with my dad just now, poured into my Chimay goblet

A-Deep brown, bit of a red tint, 1 1/4 inch bubbly cream colored head, murky body, decent retention, awesome lacing
S-Caramel, lots of booze, firewood, figs, brown sugar, citrus, tons of malt, other fruits, some hoppiness somehow, and bready aromas
T-First flavor was big raisins, then a huge oaky finish, later on got some bubble gum, believe it or not there was hops present the entire time, lots of herbal and grassy accents towards the end, complex and balanced
M-Thick, dry, sweet, and boozy mouthfeel, full thick body, almost perfect level of carbonation, aftertaste stuck around for a long time
D-Drank twelve ounces pretty easily but have struggled a bit after that, heavy on the stomach, ten percent, smooth at most times, alcohol is not always hidden here

One of Green Flash's best, sure did beat the last beer I just had from them, this one has gotten better with age and is drinking better than ever, believe it or not this still has a hop presence after nearly half a decade, sadly this is my last bottle and I decided to drink it after a trade fell through, wish I had more, recommended if you can track down a bottle somehow

3.6/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Cellared a number of years. Pours a two finger oranged-brown head over a brilliant ruby-brown liquid. Smells piney hops, lemon, clean alcohol, resiny, orange zest, and baby aspirin.

Tastes piercing hop flavor with prominent alcohol sting. Grassy bitter comes in near the and lingers into the aftertaste, Hop flavor is lemon, pine, and baby aspirin. Hop bitter is grassy and rough due a blending with gruff alcohol that's still very strong after 7 years in the bottle. Esters are buried way beneath, but are pear and lemongrass. Mild cardboard oxidation and not nearly the level of soured-caramel (sherry-like) oxidation that I prefer.

Creamy in the mouth helps the wet sweet make an appearance before being beat down by alcohol and hop bitter. Moderate carbonation would be nice if it were lower as it amplifies the already strong alcohol and hop bitter.

4.22/5  rDev +5.5%

22oz bottle that poured a murky browinsh red with scant bubbles. It smelled caramel. Friend said it tasted like "nuts in his mouth" which I promptly mocked him for. Nice caramel, toffeee flavors, serious bitterness from hops. Good beer and has aged nicely and would probably hold up for quite some time.

4.45/5  rDev +11.3%

Bottle # 4530/6000

My 150th review.

A: Gorgeous thick and creamy beige head with super tight bubbles. Very nice. The body is a murky molasses colored concoction...can't see anything thru it. So far so good.

S: Soy sauce, brown sugar, figs and aged malts.

T: Extreme toffee flavors, buttery and rich. Loads of dark figs, dried prunes and vanilla. As the flavors continue, roasted coffee mixes with the bittering hops to add a sharp and pleasant contrasting bite. The caramel and bitterness lasts long after the last sip. The alcohol is torpid towards the tongue

M: Full bodied and chewy.

D: Time did some amazing things to this beer. Everything has melded so well, absolutely luxorious. I would have bought more if I knew what I was getting myself into.

3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

Perfect burgundy color. Full, light tan foam, which lasted well. Piney hop aroma, with vinous grape, rich brandy, soaked dark fruits, alcohol. Fairly deep aromatically and quite alarming. Big, supportive body. In the mouth, it's big and rich, with vinous fruit flavors, a touch of hop (pine), toffee and cookie-like malts. Good barley wine.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Green Flash Anniversary Ale 2004 from Green Flash Brewing Co.